WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Canvases of Banksy

There isn't a lot the street holds sacred, but woe be he or she who puts their tag across a Banksy. That's a sort of respect you don't often see in a world where art runs wild, so you know this gentleman means something. But what does he mean to you? That's the question you should ask yourself now.
iCanvas official site

regentswift

quality posts: 3 Private Messages regentswift

Isn't paying for street art kind of contrary to the point?

ebam

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ebam
regentswift wrote:Isn't paying for street art kind of contrary to the point?

not if you do so *ironically*!

HansE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HansE

I often wonder what Banksy would make of iCanvas here? Has anyone verified their print?

http://www.pestcontroloffice.com/AuthForm_Prints.asp

http://www.banksy.co.uk/QA/qaa.html

jmhinkfuss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmhinkfuss

It's disappointing to see Woot! promoting the sale of unauthorized artwork. When I buy artwork, I like to know I am supporting the actual artist, not some ripoff artist. Apparently, there are a number of sellers profiting by doing the same thing. The disclaimer on Woot!:

"This sale is in no way authorized by the mysterious figure known as Banksy, and these are not official or authorized reproductions."

shoestring

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shoestring

At least for one of the pictures...

http://www.icanvasart.com/banksy-there-always-hope-girl-canvas-print-sale2168-4026.html

You're not getting a deal, $99.99 from the sit and $100 here for the same size. Depending on what state you live in, the tax will be the difference, maybe.

lizndave42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lizndave42

The "A" the ball and chained artist is painting is not an "A" at all. It is a poorly drawn (painted) falice. You have to look closely, but do you see the "drip" above it?

fiockthis

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fiockthis
shoestring wrote:At least for one of the pictures...

http://www.icanvasart.com/banksy-there-always-hope-girl-canvas-print-sale2168-4026.html

You're not getting a deal, $99.99 from the sit and $100 here for the same size. Depending on what state you live in, the tax will be the difference, maybe.

Not to mention the site has a 20% discount going on right now.

If Banksy could vandalize woot, he would.

lkrauss85

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lkrauss85

I agree that the images are stunning but it's completely not in the spirit of the art to purchase it from some for-profit that gives no money to the artist, nor likely supports the values put forward in the art. Kind of sell-out extraordinaire...

k47foley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages k47foley

This sale is in no way authorized by the mysterious figure known as Banksy, and these are not official or authorized reproductions. Which makes them, like, "unsanctioned" and "underground" and "cool", right? Right?

No, that makes it STEALING SOMEONE ELSE'S WORK FOR PROFIT.

PC LOAD LETTERing gross.

phildozer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages phildozer

I'm a huge Woot fan but this is spectacularly disappointing to see. Why not just sell ripped copies of downloaded albums too?

Really poor form folks.

drunkenalien

quality posts: 46 Private Messages drunkenalien

Boys and Girls, This ain't the same woot your parents grew up with. Its owned by Amazon now.

Remember

Apesplosion
by Joby Cummings

Sadly, i really wanted that shirt and still do, but woot from the past halted the sale.

This is what woot had to say back then.

link to comment below

(Without being able to track down the credit for this image, I'm going to discontinue the sale, at the very least, until I can do more research. Rest assured, if the decision is made to not sell the shirt, refunds will be made to everyone who has already purchased.

For the record, I've got a ton of respect for Joby and his work and I'm glad to call him a friend of the site.

***EDIT***
We will not offer this shirt for sale. Anyone having made a purchase will receive a refund and an email later today. Contact service@woot.com with any questions.)

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
drunkenalien wrote:Boys and Girls, This ain't the same woot your parents grew up with. Its owned by Amazon now.

Remember

Apesplosion
by Joby Cummings

Sadly, i really wanted that shirt and still do, but woot from the past halted the sale.

One of the saddest and proudest moments in woot! History. Thanks for opening old wounds and pouring salt in them. Quality post points! ;-)

PS: Avoid this mess next time; my image is for sale to legitimize the highest bidding "artist"! ;-)

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

srsaccount

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srsaccount

Don't buy these. They are really cheesy.

If you like the artwork.. buy a real print.

fiockthis

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fiockthis
drunkenalien wrote:Boys and Girls, This ain't the same woot your parents grew up with. Its owned by Amazon now.

Remember

Apesplosion
by Joby Cummings

This is what woot had to say back then.

link to comment below

(Without being able to track down the credit for this image, I'm going to discontinue the sale, at the very least, until I can do more research. Rest assured, if the decision is made to not sell the shirt, refunds will be made to everyone who has already purchased.

For the record, I've got a ton of respect for Joby and his work and I'm glad to call him a friend of the site.

***EDIT***
We will not offer this shirt for sale. Anyone having made a purchase will receive a refund and an email later today. Contact service@woot.com with any questions.)

Oh the hypocrisy.

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln
k47foley wrote:This sale is in no way authorized by the mysterious figure known as Banksy, and these are not official or authorized reproductions. Which makes them, like, "unsanctioned" and "underground" and "cool", right? Right?

No, it makes them possibly legal (if he even has legal grounds, which is questionable) under Banksy's own terms, which is for personal use and not to claim them as authorized. The latter criteria is met, the former is an interesting legal question.

No, that makes it STEALING SOMEONE ELSE'S WORK FOR PROFIT.

PC LOAD LETTERing gross.

Check your righteousness and try to make an argument, not a shouting match.

Like, point out site or vendor for legit prints of these particular pieces or shut it.

If these are indeed based off his street pieces, I think he and you are on shaky ground at best as to the claim of "stealing." Seems public domain is implicit in both the placement and the act itself.

Regardless, anyone using copyright law to defend Banksy's work?! HAHAHAHAHA

Guy abuses trademark, copyright, and even steals (sorry, copies) other's methodologies, etc., so the complete hypocrisy in defending him with the tools he abuses is silly at best. If the artist Banksy has a problem with it, he's a big boy and has the full legal recourse of copyright law both in this country and by international law to exercise and protect his works, including the DMCA.

He chooses not to, so I'm not sure why you're crying out for him.

And agan, that's if his some of these works even qualify for protection under copyright. Still, claiming theft on this artist's behalf is freaking funny given his methodologies and his supposed principles regarding power and capitalism, as well as other things supposedly driving his art. Real rich post of yours.

alopezhusting

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alopezhusting

has anyone actually been to Banksy's website?

"You're welcome to download whatever you wish from this site for personal use. However, making your own art or merchandise and passing it off as ‘official’ or authentic Banksy artwork is bad and very wrong."

SubBass49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49

This is quite pathetic, and I'm really disappointed in Woot for selling these overpriced knock-off canvas prints without the authorization of the artist himself.

I'm also disappointed in people that actually buy these. A poster of the design would be much less tacky.

quinnmiller

quality posts: 1 Private Messages quinnmiller

Don't let the pictures deceive you, the canvas prints are not as deep as they seem. I ordered mine last time they were available, and love it, but it's only a half inch or so deep-- whereas the picture makes it seem deeper in proportion to the canvas.

nandaman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nandaman

FAIL. Illegally selling the work of an artist for personal gain is wrong.

On top of it - a couple of those works are NOT EVEN BANKSY - there is a Dolk and a few others. So please, at least educate yourself before selling the WRONG fake art to people.

I love Banksy's art, wit, and political messages - just not this artificial crap. JUST a moment you, Woot - I expect better from you.

fjp999

quality posts: 15 Private Messages fjp999
SubBass49 wrote:This is quite pathetic, and I'm really disappointed in Woot for selling these overpriced knock-off canvas prints without the authorization of the artist himself.

I'm also disappointed in people that actually buy these. A poster of the design would be much less tacky.

Like from here?

http://www.posterrevolution.com/content.cfm/banksy-posters

They have some great prices! I guess... havent shopped for posters since forever... also am a huge Warhol fan and actually, finally, found a couple Oxidation Warhols from this site. Pretty rare!

I think they also do framing and print on different stock, etc...

Enjoy

nsroberts

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nsroberts

I would've purchased, but these aren't authorized by Banksy. You make me sad, Woot.

bagawe

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bagawe

Why does everyone leap to defend a plagiarizing vandalist over a mater of intellectual property?

cegilbreath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cegilbreath

Amen bagawe... Banksy made his name "sampling" other artists' work, a fortune on the intellectual property of others.
That said, this sale does feel dirty somehow. But I blame no one. We're all just squirrels trying to get a nut.

metalseargolid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages metalseargolid

Sooooo... any particular reason why the canvas I ordered hasn't shipped yet? It's been like 12 days

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

metalseargolid wrote:Sooooo... any particular reason why the canvas I ordered hasn't shipped yet? It's been like 12 days

Hmm. Sorry for the delay. Please email Support@woot.com so we can help determine the status of your order.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

perkinsfam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perkinsfam
metalseargolid wrote:Sooooo... any particular reason why the canvas I ordered hasn't shipped yet? It's been like 12 days

My daughter received hers yesterday.

wanderlusting

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wanderlusting

Hey Woot,

Thanks for sending me out a confirmation email that it shipped after almost 3 weeks of waiting. Oh BTW, it actually arrived already a few days ago sitting at my doorstep in the rain. You guys are amazing and I hope you guys are enjoying my money.