0%
0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

land

quality posts: 1 Private Messages land

I have learned the lesson about buying refurbished hard drives. The answer is No. Why buy a drive that you *know* has failed at least once?

fstopdigital

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fstopdigital

I would liken "refurbished hard drive" to "used toothbrush" in the context of "things I would not buy if you paid me"

that being said, you should definitely buy three of these.

would probably be an ok media drive if you had backups at all times

brendan948725

quality posts: 39 Private Messages brendan948725

Is this thing a good option for keeping all my media? I just built an HTPC but want to keep my movies/music external. I don't want to clutter my external hard drive with anything else.

*MOST RECENT WOOTS!*

• Random Crap
  • Light Blocking Curtains and Rod
  • HP Deskjet Wireless

• 20 Woots! (5 Bungled Original Communicator)
  • 27 Shirts!
  • 5 Sellouts!
  • 2 Homes!
  • 1 Sport!
  • 2 Techs!
  • 1 Wine!
  • 1 Accessories!
  • 2 Pops!

furiousporkchop

quality posts: 3 Private Messages furiousporkchop
land wrote:I have learned the lesson about buying refurbished hard drives. The answer is No. Why buy a drive that you *know* has failed at least once?

I agree. And I never heard of "Clickfree". Are they reliable when compared to Seagate or Western Digital?

Anyway, a refurbished hard drive is a no for me.

blkdragon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blkdragon
land wrote:I have learned the lesson about buying refurbished hard drives. The answer is No. Why buy a drive that you *know* has failed at least once?

Maybe the enclosure failed, but not the drive.

land

brendan948725 wrote:Is this thing a good option for keeping all my media? I just built an HTPC but want to keep my movies/music external. I don't want to clutter my external hard drive with anything else.

See my previous post: In my experience, refurbished drives are untrustworthy. Invest in a new one. You'll be glad you did.

FrozenDeception

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FrozenDeception

Here is a pretty in depth review on it

If it wasn't refurb, I'd be in for one

alknowles

quality posts: 3 Private Messages alknowles

They also do not work for Apple Computers, apparently.

jonests

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jonests

I have a ClickFree from Woot and works great. I would recommend it.

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0

Just as an FYI, a refurbished product does not mean it was defective. It was probably just a customer return.

Customers return things or many reasons:
1. Too expensive
2. Changed their mind
3. Didn't work for them (Not compatible)
4. Not the right product (drive to small)
5. Specs not good enough (too slow)
6. Replaced with a better product.
7. Defective

TheCK

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheCK
alknowles wrote:They also do not work for Apple Computers, apparently.

LOL - don't buy computers from a Fruit Vendor. Apple doesn't work with anything - it's not the other items don't work with them - they choose not to be compatible well more limited by their abilities than their choice.....

--TheCK

cobraman61

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobraman61

I also have not heard of this hard drive,but the ones bashing refurb hard drives,I have been useing them for many years,and never had a bad one.I have build a few computers in my time,and used refurb"s.I have had only two fail me,and they where new hard drives.

alknowles

quality posts: 3 Private Messages alknowles
TheCK wrote:LOL - don't buy computers from a Fruit Vendor. Apple doesn't work with anything - it's not the other items don't work with them - they choose not to be compatible well more limited by their abilities than their choice.....

I love my Macbook. I've had it for 5+ years and never have had any issues. With that said, I use my computer every day and have it dual partitioned with Ubuntu. I also have it maxed out on RAM and am currently putting a new HD in it (not because of problems, but because I've ran out of space). I was looking at this as a viable backup solution but found out that it doesn't work with Macintosh. I also think your statement that Apple computers don't work with anything is a little unreasonable. I've never had any problems with compatibility. But as a Tech Savvy person I can always find a work around.

thinkweiz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thinkweiz

I'm feeling saucy and my old WD 320GB passport is full. In for one!

kissalive90

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kissalive90

I've had a Clickfree 320GB for 7 years, and it's awesome.

Too small a capacity for me, but backs up my Wife and Kids' PCs just fine. No software to install.

It will work on MACs. Mentions them about 3 times in the description.

I'm in for one.

tailings

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tailings

A naive question: Can this drive be used as a simple USB drive, without the encryption?

rheppner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rheppner

anyone used these for tivo expansion?

zephon13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zephon13
furiousporkchop wrote:I agree. And I never heard of "Clickfree". Are they reliable when compared to Seagate or Western Digital?

Anyway, a refurbished hard drive is a no for me.

This uses a WD drive on the inside...

land

blkdragon wrote:Maybe the enclosure failed, but not the drive.

I wish that were the case: In the purchase that taught me the lesson, I extracted the drive from the enclosure and tried it in another: DOA. There are some things I won't scrimp on: backup drives top that list — I want my backup to be the *most* trustworthy part of my computers.

CubBuc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CubBuc

DAMN !
I missed out on the Samsung Tablet while I was trying to find my wallet. If you bought an extra and want to sell it please contact me !

Phil
pdpllc@gmail.com

fstopdigital

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fstopdigital
tailings wrote:A naive question: Can this drive be used as a simple USB drive, without the encryption?

definitely

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac

Once you've had a hard drive fail with thousands of dollars in music, photos and video, you'll never buy junk hard drives again. I won't even buy some of the more familiar names like iomega and acomdata. stick with western digital and seagate.

RenoDavid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RenoDavid

Ha! Good one. You made me look to make sure it was 2013 and not 1996. I see what you did there. ;-)

TheCK wrote:LOL - don't buy computers from a Fruit Vendor. Apple doesn't work with anything - it's not the other items don't work with them - they choose not to be compatible well more limited by their abilities than their choice.....

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0

Since I can run both Windows ans typewriter OS on my Apple computers, I would have a hard time finding something that doesn't work with my typewriter. If it doesn't, then the chances are it will not work with all PC's either.

Like any laptop, you have to use proprietary hardware like video cards. You cannot just go out to Best Buy and buy a video card and expect it to work in your laptop. With that said, you can buy a typewriter Pro desktop computer and install different video cards, network cards, etc.

I use Apple keyboards and mouse because I like the extra buttons on the keyboard. I could use any USB PC keyboard if I wanted. I can read NTFS, typewriter OS, Unix, or any other file format on my typewriter OS. Can you read typewriter OS on your PC?

kinahon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kinahon
blkdragon wrote:Maybe the enclosure failed, but not the drive.

Or the power supply went bad?

Poging-Pogi

Peaty

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Peaty

okay fair warning for anyone that thinks they can remove the backp software or reformat the HD and just use the drive as an extra drive for storage. There is a CD partition that will automatically load on your PC / MAC machine the back up software and start backing up your PC in 30 seconds if you don't stop it from doing so. You can't delete the CD partition it's locked and when I checked around the web there is now way to turn this "feature" off. Honestly, it's great if you want to back stuff up and don't have any idea on how to do it, but it's very annoying if you either want to use your own software or use it to transfer files quickly. It will load software on your PC/MAC and put it in the start up group. Just a heads up.

I did a search about the drive and found a post by someone that said in order to stop the software from loading you need to open the case and remove a chip:

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php/28716-Windows-7-Backup-amp-Clickfree-External-Hard-Drive-issues

Peaty

150+ Woots and no signs of stopping...