0%
0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

scotttampa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scotttampa

Im fairly certain this was what I used on my Commodore 64... worked great!

superandomness

quality posts: 0 Private Messages superandomness

I'm not sure how this works, is it if you're like in an airport or car or something and if you need internet you plug it in? Is it that simple? Do you have to pay some sort of subscription?

scotttampa wrote:Im fairly certain this was what I used on my Commodore 64... worked great!

angerbender

quality posts: 48 Private Messages angerbender

I have owned several of these. Plug and play with linux. Works well. Easy, disposable typewriter address.

csparkle33

quality posts: 1 Private Messages csparkle33
superandomness wrote:I'm not sure how this works, is it if you're like in an airport or car or something and if you need internet you plug it in? Is it that simple? Do you have to pay some sort of subscription?

It is an adapter for computers without wireless capabilities.

Chillax. Eat some fruit. Take a dump. You'll feel better. I promise.

salockwood

quality posts: 6 Private Messages salockwood

I bought a batch of these and they worked great for me. Kept going after others failed too. Only trick was that since it was a refurb it used a special driver. Loaded them on a CD and added that to the box and everything was good. I like em and would get more if everything I run wasn't N at this point....

This space for rent.

adarshanand

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adarshanand

wil this work in India and how does it work to connect to internet. Do u need a service provider?

superandomness

quality posts: 0 Private Messages superandomness
csparkle33 wrote:It is an adapter for computers without wireless capabilities.

I'm not sure what that means, so if my laptop can connect to the internet while in a WiFi zone, does that mean this does nothing for me?

scotttampa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scotttampa
superandomness wrote:I'm not sure how this works, is it if you're like in an airport or car or something and if you need internet you plug it in? Is it that simple? Do you have to pay some sort of subscription?

No.. this hooks up to a computer, and connects your computer to the internet ONLY using a wireless G router that is connected to a modem... you can also use on a laptop to connect to wireless hotspots though, maybe thats what you were saying... most these days though are N not G anymore...

ArtWorksMetal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ArtWorksMetal

I bought an emachines without wireless, but I had this sitting around in a drawer. Worth having one for the occasional guest that shows up with a 4 year old desktop .
Edit - also came in handy when my card died in my laptop a few months ago.

Asceticism is for those that can't afford Hedonism.

angerbender

This is for desktops that you want to run wirelessly. Or for laptops without wireless internet cards or damaged wireless card. You would need internet service to use it. Like mcdonalds, starbucks, or 2 million other locations.

Kev50027

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Kev50027
adarshanand wrote:wil this work in India and how does it work to connect to internet. Do u need a service provider?

You still need an internet access (so a service provider), and a modem and router. The modem takes the signal from your service provider and turns it into something computers can use. A router takes that signal and splits it up either with wired connections or wireless. This device would let you connect to wi-fi at coffee shops and restaurants if your laptop does not already have wireless built in. That said, everything made within the past 7-11 years has wireless built in, so this is ONLY useful if your laptop is positively ancient. You could also use it for a desktop if you want to avoid wiring ethernet everywhere, but it's only 802.11G, which is out of date.

satyenshah

quality posts: 8 Private Messages satyenshah

At $10 this is not a good deal for an old 802.11g adapter. Newer 802.11n adapters have been seen on Woot for as little as $7:

http://www.woot.com/offers/cisco-valet-300mbps-802-11n-usb-network-adapter

Kev50027

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Kev50027
superandomness wrote:I'm not sure what that means, so if my laptop can connect to the internet while in a WiFi zone, does that mean this does nothing for me?

It will stick out of your laptop like a sore thumb, and maybe light up. If you have wireless on your laptop, you have no need for this.

Eisbrecher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eisbrecher

I used one of these when the wireless antenna on my old laptop stopped working. The thing picked up the signal from my home router quickly!

Easy to setup! Easy to use! Works great in a pinch.

aaa121

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aaa121
csparkle33 wrote:It is an adapter for computers without wireless capabilities.

who has a laptop without wireless these days???

Vistaquest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vistaquest

No WPA/WPA2? Since essentially everything nowadays uses that encryption this is essentially useless. Nevermind that you can get a tiny wifi adapter from amazon for like five dollars more and free shipping.

Slare

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Slare

I almost never comment but logged in only to write this.

Don't buy this. This thing has got to be 7-10 years old.

I have one and I hate it, bought it a long time ago to use when setting up new desktops without wireless.

Stupid thing needs a special driver and is not plug and play reliably under Windows 7 (much less 8?).

Any decent computer store has generic plug and play compact or antenna'd N adapters for the same price.

This is actually one of the worst deals I have ever seen on Woot. It's like they are selling NIB Pentium III laptops for $400.

angerbender

aaa121 wrote:who has a laptop without wireless these days???

it does not need to be a laptop. You can network your home or office desktops wirelessly without pulling cat5 cable. or, if your wifi card address gets banned at starbucks & other places, this will let you back in.

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino

I have one of these... probably bought it here. Works fine for the price. Not a replacement for a dedicated wireless card, but it'll work in a pinch.

Woooosh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Woooosh

Can you use it for Wii or DirecTV boxes?

85k100rt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 85k100rt
adarshanand wrote:wil this work in India and how does it work to connect to internet. Do u need a service provider?

Yes! This will work in India. You need to be within range of a wireless network and have the necessary credentials to access that network. Most major cities in the world have businesses that offer free wireless internet connections. Here in the states, Starbucks and some fast food businesses like McDonalds usually have free wireless for their customers. If you're in a major city, you can find a location. Also try major hotels, virtually all have free wireless internet for guests and in their restaurants. There will be many other businesses that may charge a small fee for access.

Leftard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Leftard

Sure hope people are reading the model number correctly on this, this is NOT a wg111v2(or v anything).
It's a wg111US(notice the US)

The "WPA/WPA2: No" should be a dead giveaway.

dbldbl73

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbldbl73

there were certain non-HD TiVos that allowed USB wi-fi sticks, like this item, instead of using their official wireless adapter. It was very specific to certain model numbers from vendors like Netgear