0%
0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

dgc27185

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dgc27185

HAHA is it sad that the first thought that come to my mind, was "Number 5" from Short Circuit, when he yelled out "Hey, Laser Lips... Your Mama Was A Snow Blower!!" ok I can't stop laughing now.

wollern

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wollern

First time ever I've been the first sucker.

laumaki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laumaki

In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, we laugh at little snow blowers like this. 12" deep? HA!

jamina1

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jamina1

As I said the last time this was up, if you have a relatively flat driveway and easy access to power in your garage, get this! You can plow at 3 am and not wake your neighbors. Minimal maintenance, and you don't have to keep mixed gas in your garage.

I have a similar model from Greenworks and it works great on my 100' 15 degree incline driveway.

The great benefit to a blower like this is that if the snow is too deep, you can shave it off in layers. You can also bring this out for minimal snowfall - would you want to lug around your 100 pound monstrosity for 1" of snow? I don't think so!

Yes, it is not as powerful as a comparative gas or 2-stage thrower, but if you take it slow it will work great.

Make sure you get a high enough rated cord - your orange powertool cord WILL NOT WORK. And considering this is for winter, you probably want to get a cord that remains flexible with cold temps.

FINALLY GOT A Bucket of Candycorn ON 9/22/10!

omnedon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omnedon

Hmmm...given that we have a 6-12 inch forecasted snowstorm headed this way, this might not be a bad idea...do you have next day delivery? I'll need it tomorrow.

jamina1

laumaki wrote:In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, we laugh at little snow blowers like this. 12" deep? HA!

I live in the hand of MI but I can get through the crap the plow leaves at the bottom of my driveway with no issue. 12" HA, IT CAN HANDLE IT.

wollern

jamina1 wrote:Make sure you get a high enough rated cord - your orange powertool cord WILL NOT WORK. And considering this is for winter, you probably want to get a cord that remains flexible with cold temps.

Could you provide a little more detail on this point? Perhaps, provide an example of a cord that you would suggest? I'll be scrounging around the previous thread to get this information, too. Thanks! :-)

AGoldeneagle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AGoldeneagle

Pass, I will just wait for the snow to melt both days of the year we get it here.

laumaki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laumaki
jamina1 wrote:I live in the hand of MI but I can get through the crap the plow leaves at the bottom of my driveway with no issue. 12" HA, IT CAN HANDLE IT.

With this storm we're getting now, we have 5' - 6' drifts. Maybe I can buy six of these snow blowers and stack them together?

jeepinmark

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jeepinmark

No shipping to Alaska? The one place you can really use one of these? Boo woot!

heymecalvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heymecalvy

haha I love how little this has to do with the office. but also great that Woot had a sense of humor about it (as usual)

DavidO1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidO1

Last time it snowed in Florida was 1989... maybe get one just in case?

johnmueller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnmueller

You're killing me! A snow blower??? I'm in LA, we ain't got no snow! Give me something I can use, like a bazooka to help me get through traffic.

jbm
www.johnbmueller.com

jhs3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jhs3

I see a few comments about how good a snow blower this may or may not be. Doesn't really matter to me in Dallas, TX. But I really do wonder who it is out there in the more frigid parts of the world that keeps a snowblower of any sort ... in their cubicle?
Did someone (WOOT!?) forget the theme of the woot-off?

k1oik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages k1oik

I ordered this Saturday, considering Woots shipping time I expected it in June. But I got it yesterday. We had some heavy icy wet snow and it worked but I needed to do it in layers and it was tough but easier than shoveling. If we get just wet snow it should be even better.

http://k1oik.freehostia.com/students/

twohowlingdogs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twohowlingdogs

Just don't blow the snow into the wind. The picture looks like that's what he's doing. Don't follow that example!
Love how all states Wooting are northern! I guess it doesn't clear dirt from the southern states driveways?

rydethis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rydethis

I live in deep east tx.... Waddams Threatens Fire is snow!!!??

Touch me in the morning!!

fooffybunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fooffybunny
johnmueller wrote:You're killing me! A snow blower??? I'm in LA, we ain't got no snow! Give me something I can use, like a bazooka to help me get through traffic.

I'd prefer a tank.

Do they sell tanks here?? I've already activated my $5 shipping :D

kundogg26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kundogg26
omnedon wrote:Hmmm...given that we have a 6-12 inch forecasted snowstorm headed this way, this might not be a bad idea...do you have next day delivery? I'll need it tomorrow.

Yup. We are in the 12" plus area

Not all Martyrs see Divinity

anthony167

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anthony167

I've been wanting a nice small snowblower but, I like to price check to make sure I'm getting a good deal, and Sears (where I usually shop for my tools) is selling this for $399.95 with $22.95 shipping. So, yeah I'm glad I picked this up here!

brows141

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brows141

This deal blows!

jonathanluu2

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jonathanluu2
wollern wrote:Could you provide a little more detail on this point? Perhaps, provide an example of a cord that you would suggest? I'll be scrounging around the previous thread to get this information, too. Thanks! :-)

Extension cables come in different diameters (gauge). The larger the gauge number, correlates to a smaller diameter (ex. 16 gauge is smaller than a 12 gauge cord).

Larger diameter cords (smaller gauge number) have less internal resistance and can supply more power from your outlet to the motor when required. You want to make sure your extension cord is rated for outputting the maximum power required to run your device (snow blower in this case).

From the specifications, we can see this is a 15amp snow blower.

Power=I*V
where:
I=Amperage
V=voltage

Power=15A*125V=1875W

So you need a power cord rated for 1875 watts. You will find this correlates to something around a 12 gauge power cord.

As for the temperature-stiffness thing, that is a matter of preference i suppose.
Stiffer ones cost $30, supple ones cost $90. You decide.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 24 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

Where I live near Seattle, we don't get a lot of snow. maybe once or twice a year. A couple years ago, we really got hammered. "Hammered" here meaning about 10 inches on the ground. I had no trouble with the 10 miles to and from work, but getting up my 20' driveway was impossible, because it has a small grade. Also impossible was finding a snow shovel. I finally ended up ordering one online. The strategy worked: it hasn't snowed since.

Catbird

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Catbird

I just "pulled the trigger" on this one.

In my younger years as a new homeowner, I used to purchase only gasoline powered lawn/garden equipment, i.e., Stihl chainsaw, Stihl string trimmer, snow blower, etc. Now that I'm old (65), the electric and rechargeable battery power tools seem much more pragmatic to use when I'm within close proximity to an AC outlet.

BigRedDogATL

quality posts: 24 Private Messages BigRedDogATL

Screaming Monkey right now on kids.woot.com for $3.99 each. Did price go up from normal $1.99 for regular size or is it a giant size for a buck less than reg. price?

accrx77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages accrx77

will this work on things that are not snow? like a blanket of leaves? i'd like to blow them back to my neighbors yard.

rabair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rabair

If I resell these locally, will the new owner get the warranty or will the warranty be in my name only because I have the receipt?

MWPollard

quality posts: 15 Private Messages MWPollard

This doesn't seem to do anything for the surface itself. The ice at the bottom is a bigger concern than the fluffy white stuff. On my 30° driveway, any ice makes it impossible to climb out, and salt melts some ice, runs off, then refreezes.

Any thoughts on using this in areas that get more ice than snow?

Wow - I woot!ed so much my sig can't contain it all! I couldn't even keep up with it - this list hasn't been updated in years!

My page: http://www.MichaelPollard.org

jamina1

wollern wrote:Could you provide a little more detail on this point? Perhaps, provide an example of a cord that you would suggest? I'll be scrounging around the previous thread to get this information, too. Thanks! :-)

Sure - the big thing is that this is a 15amp motor, so depending on the length of the cord you need, it changes the rating of the cord you have to buy.

For 50 feet you can use a 14 gauge cord such as this: http://www.amazon.com/US-Wire-98050-50-Foot-Extension/dp/B002HWRSAY

If you need 100 feet, you will need a 12 gauge cord such as this:
http://www.amazon.com/US-Wire-99100-100-Foot-Extension/dp/B001KY03FC

BajoriAP

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BajoriAP

It's a good deal. List price is $300. Amazon has it for $199 usually.

I am in for one. I have a large gas powered 2-stage Husqvarna, but this little one will be great for the front walk and 2 decks.

feliphilia

quality posts: 6 Private Messages feliphilia

Mine just came this morning (ordered it from the woot a few days ago). It says prominently on the box flap (presumably so you can't miss it and sue them) that you can use a 14-gauge cord up to 100' or a 12-gauge to 150'. We are due for more snow this weekend, so I'm prepared!! Actually I was hoping that buying this would mean no more snow this winter, but it didn't work.

jamina1

MWPollard wrote:This doesn't seem to do anything for the surface itself. The ice at the bottom is a bigger concern than the fluffy white stuff. On my 30° driveway, any ice makes it impossible to climb out, and salt melts some ice, runs off, then refreezes.

Any thoughts on using this in areas that get more ice than snow?

It has a blade on the bottom that will get down to the concrete but not break up solid ice. As you use it, you aren't supposed to push it along with the wheels on the ground, you should lift so that the blade is engaged on the surface and the wheels are about 1 - 2" above the blade.

It isn't heavy enough to get down into deep packed snow (driven over multiple times) or thick ice, but it should be ok on snow that has been sitting overnight or all day.

jamina1

k1oik wrote:I ordered this Saturday, considering Woots shipping time I expected it in June. But I got it yesterday. We had some heavy icy wet snow and it worked but I needed to do it in layers and it was tough but easier than shoveling. If we get just wet snow it should be even better.

Just go slowly and make sure you're lifting the back as you push it along so the blade goes UNDER the snow so you don't have to go over it multiple times.

TimUSCA

quality posts: 7 Private Messages TimUSCA

Who was the genius who bought one in Mississippi?

wollern

jonathanluu2 wrote:Extension cables come in different diameters...

Thank you for that high-quality, valuable, & informative post.

wollern

jamina1 wrote:...the big thing is that this is a 15amp motor...

Thank you, also, for that high-quality, valuable, & informative post.