Quality Posts

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S6500-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B008DB9OMI

pretty good reviews

I always did like yardsales.

rworth01

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rworth01

My son and I both have this system. It's excellent.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3360 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

nice little overview at jr.com

http://www.jr.com/onkyo/pe/ONK_HTS6500/

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth

did they fail on surround sound set up on that living room picture?

heypetray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heypetray

I've been holding out on a system with wireless surround speakers, but for a deal like this, I might just decide to continue tripping over speaker wire every time I need something from the kitchen.

snowire

quality posts: 5 Private Messages snowire

Crap on a cracker. Picked this exact receiver up for $150 less three days ago, sans speakers. Now I feel like an Milton, because I could have regifted the speaker set. Your timing is terrible, woot!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

heypetray wrote:I've been holding out on a system with wireless surround speakers, but for a deal like this, I might just decide to continue tripping over speaker wire every time I need something from the kitchen.

That's when you learn the fine art of running wires under the carpet or along the baseboards.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Jpres888

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jpres888

So I grabbed the lesser model for the lesser price in the Woot-off. How do the 2 models match up? Is this system really $200 better?

I think Im still liking my deal

http://www.woot.com/offers/onkyo-5-1ch-3d-ready-home-theater-system-1

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

I had an Onkyo. I really liked it. I think it finally crapped out after about 15 years. Not the best, nor worst, longevity.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

bsitmaom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bsitmaom

There really is no excuse not to have a system like this if you own an HDTV. Especially, if you have a game console. This will bring so much more to your Blu Ray viewing and gaming experiences. This is a nice price point for what you get and Onkyo is a reputable brand as well.

screwattackthis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages screwattackthis

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120191

Newegg has the HT-S7409 home theater for $399. What's the difference?

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

If you want to save a few bucks you can get this system for $399.99 plus shipping (about $20) and no tax (at least in Texas) from Authorized Onkyo Factory Refurbished online dealer, Accessories4less.com.

The warranty is dropped from 2 years to 1 year on the factory refurbished unit. I have ordered several times from Accessories4less and their service is top notch, I've never had a factory refurbished unit arrive not looking brand new.

As far as this system, it is worth the difference in price from the previous Onkyo system sold here due to the powered subwoofer included with this one.

vissjb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vissjb

So, does is upscale the component video to HDMI as well?

Would it be worth it get this tuner and procure speakers elsewhere?

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
jamesbottomtooth wrote:did they fail on surround sound set up on that living room picture?

It looks as if they set up Dolby Pro Logic IIz high speakers, so the picture is probably from a 7.1 or 9.1 system.

craigthom

vissjb wrote:So, does is upscale the component video to HDMI as well?

Would it be worth it get this tuner and procure speakers elsewhere?

It looks as if the receiver is the same as this one, which will upscale component of a maximum of 480i.

(It isn't the same receiver, since this one apparently includes the mic for 2EQ speaker configuration.)

The useful power rating of this is half what is says (low THD at 8 ohms) for comparison, but it probably doesn't matter, since it comes matched with speakers.

The included speaker wires are also a bit thin, but, again, they are matched to the speakers and the length.

hongkonger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hongkonger

I second that recommendation. I bought a DENON DHT-1312BA Home Theater System w/ Boston Acoustics Speakers around Christmas for $320 there (MSRP $600)and it looked brand new! I just wish I had waited because NOW they've discounted it to $260!

theguruguys wrote:If you want to save a few bucks you can get this system for $399.99 plus shipping (about $20) and no tax (at least in Texas) from Authorized Onkyo Factory Refurbished online dealer, Accessories4less.com.

The warranty is dropped from 2 years to 1 year on the factory refurbished unit. I have ordered several times from Accessories4less and their service is top notch, I've never had a factory refurbished unit arrive not looking brand new.

As far as this system, it is worth the difference in price from the previous Onkyo system sold here due to the powered subwoofer included with this one.

nboti

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nboti

I have bought this exact system from newegg about a month ago. It's great, I love it, I use to play my music collection via DLNA. A few word of caution: this model is not compatible with Onkyo's UBT-1 Bluetooth adapter.
I have also purchased the Onkyo UWF-1 wireless lan adapter and it was disappointing. It kept dropping the signal, it's not a very sensitive antenna. I ended up setting up a router in client mode to get this system online.

geojrock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geojrock

I had the 7.1 System. Died on the 4th year. Looking into issue on-line, none of them seem to be lasting that long. When it worked, it was great. Replaced with Denon. Good deal, but would not expect to last that long.

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

I am surprised that I have seen more "it only has 5.1?" posts. I have never seen the reason to go beyond 5.1.

This is an impressive set up for $500 and surpasses most of what you would see in the big box stores. I am on my 3rd onkyo receiver (still have all three). I love my systems and I find them very easy to use. My oldest one is an early 304 without hdmi, and I use that in my garage now for music and radio. I have never had problems with any of them.

Here is a guide on how to set up your surround sound placement:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

I just set mine up like how the picture showed in the manual when I first received mine. As I learned more about home theaters, I learned proper placement is the best way to go because it lets you get the maximum potential from each speaker.

ki4rxm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ki4rxm

Any time you see issues with HDMI handshake compatibility or HDMI board longevity, run. I had one of the 2012-year model HT receivers and got burned big time. Even though Onkyo had supposedly released firmware months before my purchase that supposedly fixed the software-based HDMI issues (that I installed successfully) I still had problems. Their solution? Return the unit to your retailer, it isn't worth it for you to get it fixed. Yes, that is what their tech support and engineers told me. The authorized repair centers used by Onkyo aren't cheap to ship to and in many cases the issue isn't fixed when you get it back anyways (google for this problem). The final straw came when they deleted all of my posts to their support "forum" (where all they basically do is tell everybody to call the support phone line) after I reported that I had to return the unit due to them not being able to fix it and banned my account. I'll never buy an Onkyo product again, and I suggest you don't either. Google Onkyo HDMI board failure or Onkyo HDMI passthrough problems and make an informed decision. Oh, and for the record, I replaced the Onkyo with a Denon AVR-1913 and the system works flawlessly.

auctionsaver

jamesbottomtooth wrote:did they fail on surround sound set up on that living room picture?

They should have ponied up for a better TV too. What is that a 37"? meh. You get a system like this, you should atleast opt for a 55-60. I keep thinking about going from a 100" projection system to maybe a 120". Your screen can never be ... too big.

bclinton1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bclinton1

Buyer Beware with Onkyo receivers. Any model....google the many problems they have with over heating and HDMI boards going out. They are loaded with features but that doesn't help much if it doesn't work.

mvanco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mvanco

We got the 7.1 set at the end of January for $300 amazon lightning deal. We LOVE it! While we were doing the set up we found if you cannot put speakers behind you then they go up front like the picture. We re-arranged our living room so we could!

• Woot.com~ 24x "wooted" 5x Big ol' Candy
  • Shirt.woot~ 30 shirts, 3 Hoodies
  • Kids.woot~ Nothing Yet
  • Sellout.woot~ Nothing Yet
  • Wine.woot~ Won't Deliver to my state =(

MikeWeiner

quality posts: 5 Private Messages MikeWeiner
heypetray wrote:I've been holding out on a system with wireless surround speakers, but for a deal like this, I might just decide to continue tripping over speaker wire every time I need something from the kitchen.

That's what I keep waiting for, is a great deal on a wireless home theater.

I truly dislike pics which show NO wires anywhere but leave out the word "wireless" simply because they photoshopped each hint of a wire out of the pics. Misleading, if you ask me.

ice651

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ice651
ki4rxm wrote:Any time you see issues with HDMI handshake compatibility or HDMI board longevity, run. I had one of the 2012-year model HT receivers and got burned big time. Even though Onkyo had supposedly released firmware months before my purchase that supposedly fixed the software-based HDMI issues (that I installed successfully) I still had problems. Their solution? Return the unit to your retailer, it isn't worth it for you to get it fixed. Yes, that is what their tech support and engineers told me. The authorized repair centers used by Onkyo aren't cheap to ship to and in many cases the issue isn't fixed when you get it back anyways (google for this problem). The final straw came when they deleted all of my posts to their support "forum" (where all they basically do is tell everybody to call the support phone line) after I reported that I had to return the unit due to them not being able to fix it and banned my account. I'll never buy an Onkyo product again, and I suggest you don't either. Google Onkyo HDMI board failure or Onkyo HDMI passthrough problems and make an informed decision. Oh, and for the record, I replaced the Onkyo with a Denon AVR-1913 and the system works flawlessly.

I had similar issues with HDMI switching failure. Got my 7.1 of of a similar model back in 2009. Sound system was awesome and was a great price then at $650. 1 year into it the HDMI board diedm... no biggie, Warrentee repair covered it. 2 years later - HDMI switching was sporadically not working, then it just stopped. After some research I found there are some capacitor problems on the HDMI board that Onkyo uses that fail due to heat (or whatever) and cause this. Very frustrated and will probably have to do some cap replacement my self to get this back up since it's out of warrantee.
I'm not sure if this model has the same curse, but do your research before you buy. At least it's NEW and not a referb! ;) good luck guys.

-ICE

jfulcer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jfulcer
MikeWeiner wrote:That's what I keep waiting for, is a great deal on a wireless home theater.

I truly dislike pics which show NO wires anywhere but leave out the word "wireless" simply because they photoshopped each hint of a wire out of the pics. Misleading, if you ask me.

It takes a few minutes to run your wires through the wall and makes installations like what is shown in this picture possible. If I am going to have speakers up on my wall like that, the wires are going to go through the wall.

thecorb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thecorb

Apparently Mortimer subscribes to AWAD.

We'll get a mondegreen tomorrow I suppose.

rwelko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwelko

Saw this one at Fry's last night for $399.99

auctionsaver

jfulcer wrote:It takes a few minutes to run your wires through the wall and makes installations like what is shown in this picture possible. If I am going to have speakers up on my wall like that, the wires are going to go through the wall.

Good point. And if you are careful, the hole should be large at all and easily patchable if you move them.

I personally would just go with speaker stands which gives you more flexibility in room rearrangement if your spouse decides to mess up your man cave.

I personally have mine in my basement (insulated) and found the best location to be the rafters.

For those with just a receiver, ceiling mounts are another viable option.

DanPopov

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DanPopov

The only thing Onkyo receivers are good for these days is for frying bacon and eggs on them. Yes they run super hot.

extech01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages extech01
auctionsaver wrote:I am surprised that I have seen more "it only has 5.1?" posts. I have never seen the reason to go beyond 5.1.

If you like THX- go for the 7.1

This is an impressive set up for $500 and surpasses most of what you would see in the big box stores. I am on my 3rd onkyo receiver (still have all three). I love my systems and I find them very easy to use. My oldest one is an early 304 without hdmi, and I use that in my garage now for music and radio. I have never had problems with any of them.

Here is a guide on how to set up your surround sound placement:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

I just set mine up like how the picture showed in the manual when I first received mine. As I learned more about home theaters, I learned proper placement is the best way to go because it lets you get the maximum potential from each speaker.

steveken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages steveken

What I would like to know is what these speakers are like? I have a set of Kenwood home-theater-in-a-box speakers that I got about 15 years ago with a receiver. One has been knocked over and the outer shell is a little busted, but overall, they are standing up pretty well.

Besides the obvious upgrades in technology I would get by upgrading to this receiver from the Sony STR-DH700 receiver I got about 4 years ago, the only thing I really need are new speakers. I would definitely like to get this for the TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio functions as well as the network capabilities among other things.

So, does anyone know how good these speakers really are?

extech01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages extech01
hongkonger wrote:I second that recommendation. I bought a DENON DHT-1312BA Home Theater System w/ Boston Acoustics Speakers around Christmas for $320 there (MSRP $600)and it looked brand new! I just wish I had waited because NOW they've discounted it to $260!

How do you like the speakers on that DENON? It is a powered sub correct? Not sure if I should get just a receiver and procure speakers elsewhere. thanks for the link...think i'm going to get that one.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
nboti wrote:I ended up setting up a router in client mode to get this system online.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is what I would do. You can get an Asus brand routers that all feature AP / Bridge(client) and other other nice features for as little as $24.99 at Fry's and other outlets.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

rwelko wrote:Saw this one at Fry's last night for $399.99

if you want us to do anything about it, we need a link!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

eethomp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eethomp

After reading on Newegg and Amazon I'm afraid to get an Onkyo receiver. I had an old one and loved it but these new ones seem to be a bit of a gamble as to whether you can get the firmware working.

endcapitalism

quality posts: 2 Private Messages endcapitalism
PemberDucky wrote:if you want us to do anything about it, we need a link!

why would we want you to do something about it?

rfxstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rfxstein

Everywhere I can find online retails these as 699.99, so not exactly 37% off, but still a nice discount for an older model home theater. True HD quality is 7 channel surround, so keep it in mind if you're looking for an upgrade to a home system!

craigthom

eethomp wrote:After reading on Newegg and Amazon I'm afraid to get an Onkyo receiver. I had an old one and loved it but these new ones seem to be a bit of a gamble as to whether you can get the firmware working.

I bit the bullet and went for the TX-NR515 since the bad reviews seem to have tapered off since the last firmware upgrade.

The firmware upgrade went smoothly straight from stock to the new version. So far I haven't had any problems. Well, I haven't gotten ARC to work, but I haven't spent a lot of time with it, since I have better versions of all my TV apps on my Roku, Blu-ray player, or receiver.

I like the DLNA much better on the receiver. On my Vizio TV and Samsung Blu-ray player the apps seem to want to index everything, which takes several minutes, if they don't crash. The Onkyo receiver is ready to play in a few seconds.

It will not do video or pictures via DLNA, but access to my music collection is my main concern, and it does a fine job.

The TX-NR515 is currently selling for under $300.

I know I took a chance, but it's got a two-year warranty, and more people have been happy with the purchase than have had problems. And the firmware thing.