gingerliscious

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gingerliscious

I love beer! I live in Utah and I have Celiac disease. So when I find gluten free beer at a bar or restaurant, I end up paying anywhere from $5 to $12 for a single beer

msteud116

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msteud116

they was giving away blue moon one i gave it back it sucks so nasty

btpaschke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btpaschke
charliehart1 wrote:all you non beer drinkers disappoint me

I prefer whiskey and mead...beer is boring.

cappo

quality posts: 34 Private Messages cappo
klstrader wrote:Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that's weird... If it is real, then do you all just not drink beer, or do you all not drink any alcohol?

I rarely drink at all. When I do it's usually a little DeKuyper's Peach Schnapps in a glass of (normal) iced tea.

Boom: Peach Tea.

And on a couple occasions, Blueberry wine.

otakuwind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages otakuwind
byssus02 wrote:I used to, but then I found out that cans are actually a superior vessel to transport beer. LIGHT is the real enemy, along with many rapid temperature changes. But while brown bottles may let less light in than green, cans let NO light in. Also, they chill faster and IMO are more durable and easier to transport. The canned beer revolution is gaining ground. I mean, you're gonna pour it into a glass anyway...right......right...?

They should setup a real tab and the back corner where you pop it easily so it doesn't glug out so hard. I think the opening of cans is the worst part.

Thalen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thalen

Haven't ordered a beer out in...well, a while. I'm a 'drink at home' kinda guy these days.

I do distinctly remember heading over to my local bar / live band establishment when I was in college and being absolutely disgusted that they'd raised the price of a bottle of beer to over $2!!!

God, I feel old...

GSimmons01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GSimmons01
generalgr147 wrote:Impressed at the number of people who don't like beer...

I was shocked.. I'm also upset that I think $7 or so is fine... it looks like I've been had! Is it because I've lived in cities my whole adult life?

jkinsella

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkinsella

happy hour :>

silveri

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silveri
jimandsyd wrote:I thought it was stupid of them to reply to the poll.

The option is there for them, why would answering it be stupid?

lemminghunter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lemminghunter

For all of the people wondering why no beer is so high, if I had voted it would have been my choice. Not because I don't ever drink beer but because I don't drink beer out. I'm not sure of the exact cost but I know every time I'm at a restaurant it is too much! Plus the selection is normally very limited.

I occasionally drink with friends, beer purchased from a store.

Since there was no option for me I abstained.

ATroll2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ATroll2

I don't buy beer. I make my own. I even make my own root beer. I don't care what the cost per glass is when it comes to I know what is in it. I know what to expect. I drink at home not on the road. I keep two beer 5 gallon kegs full and one root beer 5 gallon keg full. Quality and proof is assured. You drink all the water you want in your "light" beer. I will stay with a Man's Beer.

rrpwiii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rrpwiii

No idea what it would costs at a bar but a 12 pack of Magic Hat is $13.99 before tax and deposit.

Ambrose60

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ambrose60

Over half don't drink beer? What's happened to America?

jamesbutabi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesbutabi

$3 - $4

But you skipped those numbers.

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom

There wasn't a choice for me. I drink beer, but not Sam Adams or Blue Moon or anything similar.

craigthom

GSimmons01 wrote:I was shocked.. I'm also upset that I think $7 or so is fine... it looks like I've been had! Is it because I've lived in cities my whole adult life?

It's not that you've lived it cities. It's probably more a reflection of the places you go to drink.

I generally pay $4-$6 for the good stuff. Stuff like Sam Adams and Blue Moon is cheaper.

Twenty years ago good beers were under $2, but there were a lot fewer of them available. And a bottle of single malt Scotch was under $30.

craigthom

feliphilia wrote:Agreed, beer in cans is terrible. Draft is best, which is a reason for paying $3.50 for a pint instead of drinking a bottle at home. But bottles are way better than cans.

Not really. Crappy beer in cans taste crappy, and beer in cans or bottles that have been subjected to high heat taste crappy, but there are some fine beers available in cans these days, and I see more every month.

Canning equipment is a big big investment, as are the cans (since you have to buy a lot at a time), so craft brewers haven't traditionally used them, but more and more are.

If possible I pour beer from bottles or cans into glasses, since the smell is a big part of it, especially for very hoppy beers.

Check out the Resin from Sixpoint in Brooklyn. It's a very nice beer. In a can.

craigthom

dunc0029 wrote:I wish the results were accurate. I don't drink alcohol at all, and never have. I'm atheist, so it's not religiously motivated, I just don't believe any good comes out of it, ever.

How do you know if you've never had a drink?

Sure, bad things can happen when people drink too much, but "drinking" and "drinking too much" are not the same thing.

I haven't been drunk in over twenty years, but I have a beer or two once or twice a week.

It's fine that you choose not to drink, but to claim that "nothing good comes of it" is not something you are qualified to discuss. Besides the numerous studies that show that moderate drinking has health benefits, there's the fact that many people enjoy it, which certainly counts as "good".

cadsystems

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cadsystems

When I'm not drinking my own beer which clocks in around $1/pint, I pay $5-6 for a beer. Unless I'm filling up growlers at the local grocery store or growler shop. Then it's more like $2-3 per pint. Most of the beers I buy or make are between 6.5% ABV up to 10%. Right now I'm saving up for a BrewMagic HERMS system that I can get my efficiency, reproducability up all while bringing the amount of time to brew beer down to half. THen I'll be around 50 cents a pint on the home brew. Break even would be around 1 year.

dslevang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dslevang
byssus02 wrote:I used to, but then I found out that cans are actually a superior vessel to transport beer. LIGHT is the real enemy, along with many rapid temperature changes. But while brown bottles may let less light in than green, cans let NO light in. Also, they chill faster and IMO are more durable and easier to transport. The canned beer revolution is gaining ground. I mean, you're gonna pour it into a glass anyway...right......right...?

This is exactly right. Thank you for not discriminating. I understand people's hesitation toward cans, but some really great breweries (including Sierra Nevada and New Belgium) are producing more of their beers in cans or at least as an option.

robcane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robcane

Kind of a bad question... are we talking a bottle or a pint?

This is Great!

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington
lipophilia wrote:Homebrew (and not from Mr. Beer) - not cheap, but very tasty. Per glass, I couldn't tell you.

$20-$25 for 9 12oz sixpacks of homebrew.

jdevenberg

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jdevenberg
btpaschke wrote:I prefer whiskey and mead...beer is boring.

Your drinking the wrong beer then. There is such a huge variety of craft beer wit so many different tastes and characters. Two IPA's or two Stouts or two Pale Ales from different breweries can taste completely different.

spockthecow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spockthecow
klstrader wrote:Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that's weird... If it is real, then do you all just not drink beer, or do you all not drink any alcohol?

I just don't drink beer.

BilMeBig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BilMeBig

If you don't drink, how can you stomach looking at all this Woot crap?

StarBob

quality posts: 15 Private Messages StarBob

I accidentally voted for the price of a six pack for some reason. Oh well.

Shinespark

quality posts: 33 Private Messages Shinespark
StarBob wrote:I accidentally voted for the price of a six pack for some reason. Oh well.

Probably the cost of a beer at a sporting event anyway.

globalhavoc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages globalhavoc
cmackin wrote:HA! pu55ies!

"liking" beer is irrelevant

Beer shares the same purpose as all other ethanol-based beverages; and being liked or enjoyed for its taste are are far from it

I rarely drink, but if I do, it's organic wine.

As another atheist on this thread, my body is my only temple and I only feed it the highest quality.

globalhavoc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages globalhavoc
craigthom wrote: Besides the numerous studies that show that moderate drinking has health benefits, there's the fact that many people enjoy it, which certainly counts as "good".

False statement is false.

Drink away, please, it will reinforce your belief that it is healthy.

squeezitgirdle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages squeezitgirdle
charliehart1 wrote:all you non beer drinkers disappoint me

wow that's odd.

I haven't voted, but I also don't drink beer.
I do however drink Liquor.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain
jamesbutabi wrote:$3 - $4

But you skipped those numbers.

Tree Fitty!

chadbacca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chadbacca

Time to roll out beer.woot .... Beer and beer drinking accessories for the tech crowd.

craigthom

globalhavoc wrote:False statement is false.

Drink away, please, it will reinforce your belief that it is healthy.

I don't think you read the sentence you quoted. Again, people enjoy drinking. That counts as good coming from it.

Chicago rules

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chicago rules

what is up with 50% of woot peeps not drinking beer.. most likely the health kick that has taken over

meestergud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages meestergud
feliphilia wrote:Agreed, beer in cans is terrible. Draft is best, which is a reason for paying $3.50 for a pint instead of drinking a bottle at home. But bottles are way better than cans.

I don't agree at all. In fact, cans seal better and keep out light, so they are superior packaging. That said, you have to look for canned premium like Oskar Blues.

MeesterGud

meestergud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages meestergud
chadbacca wrote:Time to roll out beer.woot .... Beer and beer drinking accessories for the tech crowd.

Fingers crossed! I'm a homebrewer and craft enthusiast, so that would be awesome! Of course, the TABC is horribly skewed in favor of wine, but I have hopes anyway.

MeesterGud

soliver571

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soliver571

What? There are people who don't like beer? Don't they understand? Beer is God's gift to us. It shows he loves us and wants us to be happy!

Guiness...for Strength, Jameson...for Courage.

soliver571

btpaschke wrote:I prefer whiskey and mead...beer is boring.

Mead is just beer made from Honey. Whiskey is just distilled beer. Welcome to the brotherhood (and sisterhood) of beer.

soliver571

ATroll2 wrote:I don't buy beer. I make my own. I even make my own root beer. I don't care what the cost per glass is when it comes to I know what is in it. I know what to expect. I drink at home not on the road. I keep two beer 5 gallon kegs full and one root beer 5 gallon keg full. Quality and proof is assured. You drink all the water you want in your "light" beer. I will stay with a Man's Beer.

As with you, I prefer my own brew. OTOH, it is not practical when out (the bar frowns on BYO).

oldunc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oldunc

I don't drink now, but even when I was a drunk I couldn't stand beer; even the best of it tastes like bug poison.