TJMaximus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages TJMaximus

I bought a similar 47" Vizio two years ago. I can't tell what the differences are, but what's really standing out to me is that it's exactly the same price after more than two years.

Someone should feel free to point out the glaring differences I must be missing...

Mine has been a great TV. Zero problems.

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom
urslf wrote:Does anyone know what the picture is like without an hd signal?

I have a Vizio M470SL, which I imagine is pretty much the same.

With a big screen I noticed the difference between SD and HD. It doesn't look horrible, and I've watched many a DVD, HD looks SO much better the difference is striking.

If you don't have any HD sources it certainly won't be worse than an old SD TV.

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom
TJMaximus wrote:I bought a similar 47" Vizio two years ago. I can't tell what the differences are, but what's really standing out to me is that it's exactly the same price after more than two years.

Someone should feel free to point out the glaring differences I must be missing...

Mine has been a great TV. Zero problems.

TVs have almost always cost the same thing. In 1965 a good 19" color TV was about $500.

The good news (I guess) is that the money represents a far smaller percentage of our income.

ginawoot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages ginawoot
khariton wrote:Yes, try SquareTrade. Woot used to actively promote them for refurbs and the like.

I've paid Squaretrade for peace of mind with two previous woot-refurbs, but it appears ST now only offers used/refurb policies for items purchased from ebay.

Too bad. I'm definitely not buying a big-ticket item with only a 90-day warranty.

urslf

quality posts: 4 Private Messages urslf
craigthom wrote:I have a Vizio M470SL, which I imagine is pretty much the same.

With a big screen I noticed the difference between SD and HD. It doesn't look horrible, and I've watched many a DVD, HD looks SO much better the difference is striking.

If you don't have any HD sources it certainly won't be worse than an old SD TV.

Thanks.
I did notice that on cheap hd tvs the picture without the hd signal is much worse than on the old tube tv.

mudman2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mudman2007

Always a good plan to ship a TV by Fed-Ex

http://news.yahoo.com/fedex-guy-destroys-pc-monitor-not-fedex-guys-190103562.html

alkaloid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alkaloid
dfjkl wrote:I don't know. I've been burnt by Vizio on a Woot deal and promised never to buy again. Their "refurbished" tablets awhile back were just throwing returns in boxes no matter what condition they were in. I got a broken tablet they did nothing but fight me on it. Finally gave up and consider it a lesson learned. Vizio is a shoddy company that refuses to stand behind their products. Even read through their warranties....they all essentially say if it's broke it's your fault. So shady.

Buyer beware. This 42" Vizio POS started losing its backlight right after the 90-day warranty ended.

Vizio's response?

Woot bought a bunch of refurbs from Wal-Mart - they're an unauthorized reseller, so "tough".

Repair cost from their "preferred" partner (HDR Repair)? $370.

Woot's response?

"Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately the 90 day warranty has already expired for your item. We're unable to accept a return."

My response?

This isn't the Woot I remember, after hundreds of purchases and thousands of dollars spent.

Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Later. I'll never be burned by Woot again, because I'll never buy from Woot again.

UPDATE:
New response from Woot:
"Sorry to hear that. As listed with the item's sales page it comes with a 90 Day Warranty. The warranty period has now passed. What you could do now is contact your local repair shop to have them repair the item. I have issued you a $5 coupon BROKENSTUFF to be used within 30 days on a future purchase. "

Oh gee, REALLY? FIVE BUCKS off of the repair cost of $370? How quaint.