WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Fluance Sound Event

I've always said I'm not bilingual. I'm a monoglot, and I had learned to live with the consequences. But then I came to a realization: I know the language of music. Rhyme it, thump it, bump it -- make whatever sound you want, and I'll understand. Thanks to these Fluance speakers, I can truly embrace my linguistics skills.

Sacr3denigma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sacr3denigma

Anyone know how these compare to Energy speaker Setups?

Also setup is cheaper direct from manufacture + free shipping

http://www.fluance.com/product/SXHTB_5_Speaker_Surround_Sound_Home_Theater_System.eng-9.html?gclid=CPuR8oXn0bUCFYWo4AodVi8AvA

[MOD: You linked to a different set. See post below.]

canucker1983

quality posts: 17 Private Messages canucker1983
Sacr3denigma wrote:Anyone know how these compare to Energy speaker Setups?

http://www.fluance.com/product/SXHTB_5_Speaker_Surround_Sound_Home_Theater_System.eng-9.html?gclid=CPuR8oXn0bUCFYWo4AodVi8AvA

The link you provided is for a different set of speakers. This sale is for the SVHTB bundle which sells for $629.99 on the manufacturers website http://www.fluance.com/product/SVHTB_Surround_Sound_Home_Theater_Speaker_System.eng-92.html

Defender Company Rep

canucker1983

Sacr3denigma wrote:Anyone know how these compare to Energy speaker Setups?

Fluance speakers are comparable to Energy and receive impressive reviews by customers and professional reviewers alike. They are praised for their quality and value.
http://www.fluance.com/Professional_Reviews.eng.html

Defender Company Rep

robotclaws

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robotclaws
canucker1983 wrote:Fluance speakers are comparable to Energy and receive impressive reviews by customers and professional reviewers alike. They are praised for their quality and value.
http://www.fluance.com/Professional_Reviews.eng.html

Hard to say if they "compare" to Energy, as Energy has many different lines serving different needs. Energy is also a great bang for buck company in general. If you compare this system to the lower Energy lines that are being released now, then they would probably compare. The same obviously can't be said comparing them to the Reference Connoisseur or Veritas lines or even the C line.

apiskur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apiskur

I'd like to know if these are closer to the quality of the Energy Take 5 set or if they could possibly compete with some higher-end JBLs.

canucker1983

robotclaws wrote:Hard to say if they "compare" to Energy, as Energy has many different lines serving different needs. Energy is also a great bang for buck company in general. If you compare this system to the lower Energy lines that are being released now, then they would probably compare. The same obviously can't be said comparing them to the Reference Connoisseur or Veritas lines or even the C line.

Agreed, it's hard to generalize how they compare vs. an entire brand.
I should mention that I work for Fluance and will be happy to answer any questions you might have about our products.

Professional reviewers have often pointed out that pound for pound we offer a great value compared to speakers which usually cost two to three times more!

Defender Company Rep

robotclaws

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robotclaws
apiskur wrote:I'd like to know if these are closer to the quality of the Energy Take 5 set or if they could possibly compete with some higher-end JBLs.

From what I have read on various reputable review sites (never had the pleasure of listening to them), Fluance offers great quality (sound-wise and construction-wise) for the price, as long as you recognize that you're not going to be getting the best of the best for a bargain price. For people who want to upgrade from tv speakers or a soundbar or who are just getting their feet wet and don't want to drop big bucks (the Energy lines I mentioned in an earlier post retail for many thousands of dollars), they look like a great choice. Internet direct brands, like Fluant, can offer a quality price for less than the big name producers because they have less overhead, so you can feel comfortable comparing them to sets from more well-known names that cost a bit more. Another thing to keep in mind is the comparative size of the speakers. Sound quality aside, bigger speakers give a bigger image. Taking into consideration their size and small footprint, the Energy Takes are great for what they set out to do.

highonpez

quality posts: 7 Private Messages highonpez

I own a pair of bookshelf speakers from Fluance and I really like them. Tight bass (in a 5" woofer no less) and good clarity. The finish on the speaker looks just as good as the photos.

Now, weird stuff. Why are these speakers only a 1 year warranty? One of the reasons I hit the buy button was because of the lifetime warranty, which is displayed all over the place on the Fluance website.

highonpez

quality posts: 7 Private Messages highonpez

ipod thinger = this
floor standing guys = these
surround sounders = this
They all line up with list prices except for this model and one set of SVs that don't include the sub (but the price is dropped).

canucker1983

highonpez wrote:I own a pair of bookshelf speakers from Fluance and I really like them. Tight bass (in a 5" woofer no less) and good clarity. The finish on the speaker looks just as good as the photos.

Now, weird stuff. Why are these speakers only a 1 year warranty? One of the reasons I hit the buy button was because of the lifetime warranty, which is displayed all over the place on the Fluance website.

Good point! All Fluance speakers do include a Lifetime warranty. The FiSDK500 speaker dock includes a 2 year warranty.

Defender Company Rep

titangears

quality posts: 9 Private Messages titangears

Fluance is a wierd name for speakers. Makes me think of flatulence for some reason.

Addicted to cycling and gadgets..

Sacr3denigma

What receiver would you recommend for these speakers?

xochiluvr

quality posts: 14 Private Messages xochiluvr

Get one of these and a vacuum today and earn the "Fluance and the Machine" Achievement!

canucker1983

Sacr3denigma wrote:What receiver would you recommend for these speakers?

From the Fluance.com website -
In order to get truly Serious Performance™ from your Fluance Speakers, they must be paired up with a Home Theater Receiver capable of equally Serious Performance™. With that in mind, the brand names most often used by Fluance customers are: • Denon • Harman Kardon • Onkyo • Yamaha

Defender Company Rep

Castlevania

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Castlevania
titangears wrote:Fluance is a wierd name for speakers. Makes me think of flatulence for some reason.

Same here.

Schrup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Schrup
Sacr3denigma wrote:What receiver would you recommend for these speakers?

I use a Denon AVR-1610, it goes well with these speakers. I have the 5.1 speakers without the built in subs. I bought an acoustic audio sub. This combo is cheap & sounds better than any sound bar or system in a box. The weak point is the center speaker, I wouldn't mind replacing mine with something less harsh like polk audio.

Sacr3denigma

Thank you!

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
canucker1983 wrote:I should mention that I work for Fluance and will be happy to answer any questions you might have about our products.

How's it going, eh?

The power handling is listed as "10-100" watts. Is that peak? RMS?

rrussell

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rrussell
xochiluvr wrote:Get one of these and a vacuum today and earn the "Fluance and the Machine" Achievement!

That... that's just... HORRIBLE.

(Thumbs up!)

canucker1983

craigthom wrote:How's it going, eh?

The power handling is listed as "10-100" watts. Is that peak? RMS?

Good question eh?! That would be RMS

Defender Company Rep

superpope

quality posts: 1 Private Messages superpope

I bought a set of five Fluance speakers almost a decade ago and absolutely love them. My television and my A/V receiver have changed a few times since then, but there's never been a need to replace these awesome speakers. I also bought a powered sub from them a few years back, and I'm really pleased with it as well. When I have friends over to watch a movie I get the benefit of them being impressed with my sound system without me having actually spent a ton of money.

I highly recommend anything Fluance offers. It's exciting to see them on Woot!

craigthom

canucker1983 wrote:Good question eh?! That would be RMS

Thanks. I'm actually thinking about getting the AVBP2 surrounds to mount behind my chesterfield, so I can watch My American Cousin or Short Circuit, or listen to the Guess Who or the Rheostatics. While eating poutine or perhaps a bear claw or maybe a Harvey's burger and drinking an Export.

canucker1983

craigthom wrote:Thanks. I'm actually thinking about getting the AVBP2 surrounds to mount behind my chesterfield, so I can watch My American Cousin or Short Circuit, or listen to the Guess Who or the Rheostatics. While eating poutine or perhaps a bear claw or maybe a Harvey's burger and drinking an Export.

LOL, just make sure that the poutine is made with real cheese curds and not shredded mozzarella!

Defender Company Rep

exjoburger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exjoburger
titangears wrote:Fluance is a wierd name for speakers. Makes me think of flatulence for some reason.

Me too, it's a gas..

gmannix65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmannix65

Why do I keep reading this as 'flatulence'???

craigthom

canucker1983 wrote:LOL, just make sure that the poutine is made with real cheese curds and not shredded mozzarella!

Absolutely. Believe it or not, the best poutine I've had (and, admittedly, I haven't had it that many times) was on a ferry from Baie-Comeau to Matane. I had driven to Labrador City and had planned to take the ferry from Happy Valley to Newfoundland, but there was still too much ice, so I had to change plans at the last minute, drive back down, and take a ferry to the Gaspe peninsula. I still made it to Newfoundland, but not by the route I'd planned.

I like to joke about Canada, but I've been to all ten provinces and one territory, from Beaver Creek to Cape Spear. Some day I will drive to Inuvik.

My last trip to Niagara Falls was Canada Day in, I think, 2000. The Planet Hollywood had just opened and Bruce Willis was in town.

nchumley

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nchumley

I just jumped on the SVHTB 5.0 speaker system. It was a great discount on a very well-reviewed system, perfect timing for me too as I just moved into a new house. The problem is, I need a receiver to power them.

Would this Onkyo receiver be too much for the system? It's the Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2-Channel. It has a rating for 80 watts RMS per channel, and the center and surrounds are rated for 50-60 watts.

The other receiver I'm looking at is a Yamaha that is the same price ($300), but is only 5.1 and is also 80 watts per channel. It has better reviews, mainly for better HDMI switching (a common problem with recievers, I know) but doesn't have as many bells & whistles. Yamaha RX-V473 5.1.

I just want a nice networked A/V receiver, but don't want to overload these speakers, and still have room to expand my system later on.

EDIT: sorry to hijack the Canada thread... I've only been to Windsor, Canada one year in college on spring break (yeahhhhhhhh, but it was cause the drinking age is 18 there!) I had a blast and would gladly visit our maple-leafed neighbors anytime! I'm happy to support manufacturing here on the continent!

craigthom

nchumley wrote:I just jumped on the SVHTB 5.0 speaker system. It was a great discount on a very well-reviewed system, perfect timing for me too as I just moved into a new house. The problem is, I need a receiver to power them.

Would this Onkyo receiver be too much for the system? It's the Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2-Channel. It has a rating for 80 watts RMS per channel, and the center and surrounds are rated for 50-60 watts.

The other receiver I'm looking at is a Yamaha that is the same price ($300), but is only 5.1 and is also 80 watts per channel. It has better reviews, mainly for better HDMI switching (a common problem with recievers, I know) but doesn't have as many bells & whistles. Yamaha RX-V473 5.1.

I just want a nice networked A/V receiver, but don't want to overload these speakers, and still have room to expand my system later on.

There are a lot of reports of HDMI problems with that receiver, but they seem to have thinned out since the fall firmware upgrade.

Because the price is soo good now I took a chance and bought one a couple of weeks ago. I plugged it in, hooked it to my TV, and upgraded the firmware before I connected anything to it. So far so good.

I don't have these speakers, but I mine (Yamaha fronts and center, Wharfedale surrounds) have similar published efficiency and power handling.

I have played it loud for fun, but I rarely turn it up above about halfway, since that's plenty loud and I don't want to annoy the neighbors. If I lived in an apartment instead of a house I would already be annoying the neighbors.

The only network stuff I've played with are Pandora, DLNA, and vTuner, and they all work fine.

If you don't have a subwoofer connected it assumes your left and right main speakers are full range and sends the bass to them. If you had a subwoofer later you can set a low cutoff for them or let Audyssey figure out what it should be (as it did with my center and surround speakers.

Only time will tell if it is reliable, but I'm hopeful. The price was very attractive.

nchumley

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nchumley
craigthom wrote:There are a lot of reports of HDMI problems with that receiver, but they seem to have thinned out since the fall firmware upgrade.

Because the price is soo good now I took a chance and bought one a couple of weeks ago. I plugged it in, hooked it to my TV, and upgraded the firmware before I connected anything to it. So far so good.

I don't have these speakers, but I mine (Yamaha fronts and center, Wharfedale surrounds) have similar published efficiency and power handling.

I have played it loud for fun, but I rarely turn it up above about halfway, since that's plenty loud and I don't want to annoy the neighbors. If I lived in an apartment instead of a house I would already be annoying the neighbors.

The only network stuff I've played with are Pandora, DLNA, and vTuner, and they all work fine.

If you don't have a subwoofer connected it assumes your left and right main speakers are full range and sends the bass to them. If you had a subwoofer later you can set a low cutoff for them or let Audyssey figure out what it should be (as it did with my center and surround speakers.

Only time will tell if it is reliable, but I'm hopeful. The price was very attractive.

I'm assuming you are referring to the Onkyo receiver?

craigthom

nchumley wrote:I'm assuming you are referring to the Onkyo receiver?

Yes. I am considering the Fluance AVBP2 speakers has rears (or maybe even highs, although most people suggest direct speakers for highs).

taxwizard

quality posts: 8 Private Messages taxwizard

Canada: America's Attic.