WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Chandeliers and Sconces

Eating in the light's a good idea. It's how you know the difference between if you just picked up a candy bar or a chunk of meat. So illuminate your dining experience by snagging one of these lighting fixtures, and you'll stop having that problem where you accidentally flavor your meal with baking soda instead of salt.

phearce

quality posts: 3 Private Messages phearce

We have a chandelier of very similar design from a different brand. It's very good looking. The glass absorbs a fair amount of the light which a) casts a nice glow in the room, but b) reduces the usable lumens.

In our case the glass has a sort of découpage on it creating the "golden" effect. I know this because one day my wife asked me to take the glass down and clean it. Turns out the découpage is water-soluble.... They're not ruined, per se, but they look completely different now -- no more "golden" effect. YMMV.

woot!

stebrad

quality posts: 5 Private Messages stebrad

I think this is the first I've heard of the new GU24 light fixture socket for CFLs, does anyone know how widely available these bulbs are? It looks like they're $4-$10 a bulb online, but I don't think I've seen any in person (possibly due to the fact I didn't know I should be looking.)

Bezalel

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Bezalel

The only good reason to buy a fixture with a GU24 socket is if you are a landlord who provides electricity and wants to make sure that the tennants use energy saving bulbs.

moserk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moserk

I almost got suckered into this. No wonder these are on sale - who want to buy a light fixture that requires a special "plug-in" 4-pin light bulb instead of the standard screw-in light bulb.
If I bought this, I would have to revise all my jokes about "how many (category) does it take to screw in a light bulb?" Some of them won't even make sense any more, viz., "How many flies does it take to plug in a light bulb?" What a stupid product.

wootusernameusername

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootusernameusername
moserk wrote:I almost got suckered into this. No wonder these are on sale - who want to buy a light fixture that requires a special "plug-in" 4-pin light bulb instead of the standard screw-in light bulb.
If I bought this, I would have to revise all my jokes about "how many (category) does it take to screw in a light bulb?" Some of them won't even make sense any more, viz., "How many flies does it take to plug in a light bulb?" What a stupid product.

The primary purpose of the GU24, as I understand it, is to preclude the use of incandescent bulbs in the fixture. This may not make much difference for your typical chandelier, but for a "mushroom" type light, this allows the manufacturer to skip a lot of the heat shielding they'd normally need to include, and to produce a slimmer-profile design.

I have a large number of GU24-socketed fixtures in my house. Though I've never had to replace a bulb (these also fit LED bulbs, and I use a mixture of both), I have a 4-pack of CFLs that I bought at Home Depot sitting in my closet. I believe they were about $2.50 apiece. They're just on the shelf; no need to special order or anything.

Oh, and lastly: your joke still makes sense, as it's not a simple plug. The GU24 is a "twist-and-lock" mechanism; the male end of the bulb mates into the female end of the socket without any metal-on-metal contact, and then you twist it into place. See http://tinyurl.com/cxoy5hx .

waygone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waygone

Will this work on a dimmer, considering the type of bulb?

ceagee

quality posts: 65 Private Messages ceagee

How many woot monkeys can you hang from a chandelier ?

dklemack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dklemack

I have mine on a dimmer, works great. It comes with bulbs that are already dimmable.