thomasr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thomasr

The enamel coated cast iron pans are actually safer than "raw" cast iron (except for women of child bearing age). All men and postmenopausal women can be seriously harmed by too much dietary iron from eating food (especially acidic food) cooked in "raw" cast iron. Younger women lose enough iron during menses to stay in the safe range. You will also notice multi-vitamin tablets marketed for older folks no longer contain iron based on the relatively recent research which established the role of excess iron in heart problems.

crproffer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crproffer

Does this have braising spikes on the inside of the lid? Neither pictures or description enlighten me.

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge
Ginging wrote:Where is this made? China? France? USA?

©2012 Cuisinart
150 Milford Road,
East Windsor, NJ 08520
Made and printed in China 12CW135104
HT-188R PG-28114

http://www.cuisinart.com/share/pdf/manuals/ci755-30cr.pdf

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
thomasr wrote:The enamel coated cast iron pans are actually safer than "raw" cast iron (except for women of child bearing age). All men and postmenopausal women can be seriously harmed by too much dietary iron from eating food (especially acidic food) cooked in "raw" cast iron. Younger women lose enough iron during menses to stay in the safe range. You will also notice multi-vitamin tablets marketed for older folks no longer contain iron based on the relatively recent research which established the role of excess iron in heart problems.

Well-seasoned cast iron doesn't have any exposed iron (it would rust if it did). The iron is covered with a hard, smooth polymer.

Here's a fascinating look at what happens and an unusual method of seasoning.

truckman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages truckman

Just purchase one thank you WOOT,

wehrd1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wehrd1
sgottesm wrote:You can also get a Lodge 5 qt. double dutch oven (lid can be used as a skillet too) at World Market. Online it's on sale currently for $39.99 and shipping is $8.95.

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/5-quart-double-dutch-oven.do?&from=fn

yeah...but it's BLACK....i suppose color, costs

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge

Not sure about the brand hierarchy but Lodge is the same price on Amazon and other places. I always thought Lodge was comparable to Cuisinart but below Le Crueset.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Color-EC6D43-Enameled-6-Quart/dp/B000N501BK

Lodge Color Dutch Oven
by Lodge
4.4 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1,181 customer reviews) | Questions? Ask the owners and get fast answers | Like (115)
List Price: $118.00
Price: $53.99 & FREE Shipping. Details

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

curris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curris

Hecho en CHINA! Want one from France?, the go to Costco, unless lead and cadmium are on your list of essential minerals.

klandon61

quality posts: 13 Private Messages klandon61
darkmagician1184 wrote:Same one available on amazon for $35, plus free shipping

Have that Lodge dutch oven model. Highly recommend.

jamuttick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamuttick

In a kitchen of pots calling the kettle black, I am looking forward to my new red casserole.

sonja711

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sonja711
Everbody wrote:Will the red one match my stove?

Ok I know you are showing off, I would too if I had that stove.

populuxe

quality posts: 3 Private Messages populuxe

That stove literally has all the bells & whistles.

btw, at the cheap price of natural gas, you can run a top burner for an hour on high and it will cost about a quarter. Yes, I am a gas guy. This is what I tell customers to encourage them to cook-- Hey, the food's so much better and it's super cheap to run a stove.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 24 Private Messages CuzzinMerl
Everbody wrote:Will the red one match my stove?

No, the pot is small and round. It looks like your stove is large and boxy.

Charfish15

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Charfish15

I got a 7quart one for $10 less from woot 2 1/2 years ago. I use it at least 2-3 a month for sauce, chili and stews. it's great and no chipping of the enamel.

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
populuxe wrote:That stove literally has all the bells & whistles.

btw, at the cheap price of natural gas, you can run a top burner for an hour on high and it will cost about a quarter. Yes, I am a gas guy. This is what I tell customers to encourage them to cook-- Hey, the food's so much better and it's super cheap to run a stove.

It isn't super cheap. I'm paying about $.70/ccf. I live in Kentucky, but I pay more to heat my home in the winter than to cool it in the summer. The opposite was true when I lived ten miles south of Wisconsin. I don't know what I was paying for gas there, but it had to be less.

That said, I'm pleased to finally have a gas range again. My last place had a ceramic-topped electric stove, and I missed cooking on gas. I equate it to the difference between driving a car with an automatic transmission and a manual one. A lot of people prefer the convenience of an automatic, but those who enjoy the act of driving prefer a stick.

Homercles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Homercles

LeCrueset or GTFO. If you're going to be a kitchen snob, go all the way.

ross1962

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ross1962
editorkid wrote:You can make awesome bread with very little effort using this.

No-Knead Bread

Use a little more salt than the recipe specifies. In a followup, Bittman said he settled on a little under a tablespoon of salt. Use between two teaspoons and a tablespoon and you'll be OK.

I'll second that. I've made that bread in my Lodge Dutch oven. It's a family favorite.

ross1962

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ross1962
Homercles wrote:LeCrueset or GTFO. If you're going to be a kitchen snob, go all the way.

For me, it's LeCrueset for enamelled and Lodge for non-enamelled.

skskou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skskou
ross1962 wrote:I'll second that. I've made that bread in my Lodge Dutch oven. It's a family favorite.

As have I. With the HIGH temps required, I'd worry about an enamel finish. Don't even think about real cast iron!

steve

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis

All this time and no one caught the spelling error?

http://www.woot.com/offers/cuisinart-5-5-qt-cast-iron-casserole-1

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 38 Private Messages jiggersgreen
Titan56LE wrote:Fishing for something here? Just needed to show off the stove?

Fishing or not, that is a very cool stove!

zodar99

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zodar99
salia000 wrote:I own this one and the lodge. This one is better for browning. Browning before braising is a very important step for developing proper flavor. The lodge has rounded sides on the bottom that wastes a lot of surface area on the bottom. It would only be worth passing this one up to get a 7.5 qt lodge to make up for all that lost surface area. This is a great deal.

You shouldn't be browning in enameled cast iron; it's bad for it. It specifically mentions browning/searing in the Lodge manual.

dannkatt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dannkatt
zodar99 wrote:You shouldn't be browning in enameled cast iron; it's bad for it. It specifically mentions browning/searing in the Lodge manual.

In contrast, the Cuisinart manual for this part number specifically says "It performs well with a variety of cooking methods from searing, browning, grilling, braising, or roasting to simmering"

So, maybe that's the difference, and why the Lodge is cheaper.