WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

PylePro Musical Instruments

When we first heard that selling instruments could be lucrative, we were thrilled. That's because we've got a bunch of old rusty WWI surgical instruments clogging up our warehouse. Unfortunately, those didn't sell very well, so here's some musical instruments that should make up for our huge losses on bone saws.
Pyle Audio

geoffb1104

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geoffb1104

The Banjo in the picture is missing its bridge.

kangoolra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kangoolra

Also, it says 5 string banjo, but only has 4 tuning pegs... This is odd.

And my recommendation for any instrument is if it's cheap, it probably isn't the best to learn on because it makes the learning process a pain in the butt. If you're planning on learning guitar or something, try to go for the 150 range for decentness. Also, the Jasmine guitars by takamine are A-OK. Best in the less than 150 range.

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve
kangoolra wrote:Also, it says 5 string banjo, but only has 4 tuning pegs... This is odd.

It's a banjo. The fifth string starts at the fifth fret. The tuning peg is at the fourth fret. It's white-on-white in the photo so it's a little hard to see.

untied

quality posts: 0 Private Messages untied

does this come with a case?

uncchris

quality posts: 6 Private Messages uncchris

Banjo is $150 on Amazon. Seems like a decent discount.

sudowned

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sudowned

I believe that a lot of these instruments (such as the black & white electric guitar) were at one point in the early 2000s sold under the First Act label at Wal-Mart stores, primarily on the impulse-purchase gift racks between the first bank of registers and the main entrance.

I had the guitar. Truss rod wasn't set properly from the factory, which I had to repair. That isn't really an end user thing to repair, so I'd consider the fact that it needed it to be something of a black mark in this case.

txdave13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages txdave13

The ukulele (PYLE-PRO PUKT15NT) is only discounted $0.72 off the price over at Amazon. What the heck, Woot?

Plus, I am a Prime member, so I'd get free two day shipping. Here, I'd pay $5 and maybe get it in a week.

In the end, it would cost me $4.28 more to get it here and it would arrive slower.

So, again I ask, what the heck, Woot?!?!

aclonedsheep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aclonedsheep
txdave13 wrote:The ukulele (PYLE-PRO PUKT15NT) is only discounted $0.72 off the price over at Amazon. What the heck, Woot?

Plus, I am a Prime member, so I'd get free two day shipping. Here, I'd pay $5 and maybe get it in a week.

In the end, it would cost me $4.28 more to get it here and it would arrive slower.

So, again I ask, what the heck, Woot?!?!

Sad to say but this is more evidence of woot watering down the site with so many "deals"

ashli143

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ashli143

Hey everyone, I'm wanting to learn how to play the guitar. Is this a good deal? http://www.woot.com/offers/39-beginner-acoustic-guitar-package

Someguitarist

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Someguitarist
ashli143 wrote:Hey everyone, I'm wanting to learn how to play the guitar. Is this a good deal? http://www.woot.com/offers/39-beginner-acoustic-guitar-package

I'm going to be brutally honest here and go with; no. I know it's a 'steal' at 55 dollars for all that stuff (bag, tuner, picks, etc) but I've been playing guitar for ~15 years and it would be 20 now if I didn't start with a cheap-o guitar.

I played and old 'Eco' when I started, and it was just so difficult to play with ridiculously high action that wouldn't stay in tune and a rough raised fretboard.

I haven't played this model, but you get what you pay for. And if you don't enjoy playing it, then well, you won't play it. Save up ~300 dollars and go to your local guitar store. Play a bunch of guitars and see which ones you like best!!

shygote

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shygote

Pigs are flying, and hells are freezing over. Woot is offering a bass guitar! And it looks pretty sharp, too.

ashli143

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ashli143
Someguitarist wrote:I'm going to be brutally honest here and go with; no. I know it's a 'steal' at 55 dollars for all that stuff (bag, tuner, picks, etc) but I've been playing guitar for ~15 years and it would be 20 now if I didn't start with a cheap-o guitar.

I played and old 'Eco' when I started, and it was just so difficult to play with ridiculously high action that wouldn't stay in tune and a rough raised fretboard.

I haven't played this model, but you get what you pay for. And if you don't enjoy playing it, then well, you won't play it. Save up ~300 dollars and go to your local guitar store. Play a bunch of guitars and see which ones you like best!!

Thank you so much for the advice!!

royp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages royp
ashli143 wrote:Thank you so much for the advice!!

I disagree, I think you can go cheaper than $300 for a starter. I probably wouldn't go for these particular ones on woot, but I had a Jasmine S35 by Takamine for less than $100 and it played pretty great. It's the first result on amazon for acoustic guitar, it goes for $75. Mine played fine out of the box, but if it doesn't, you can get it setup for like $30 at a music store. If you want to go a step up, the Yamaha FG700S for $199 is also pretty great. It's the one I currently play, and I have read nothing but good things from others who have it.

LaKASkill

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LaKASkill
ashli143 wrote:Hey everyone, I'm wanting to learn how to play the guitar. Is this a good deal? http://www.woot.com/offers/39-beginner-acoustic-guitar-package

No, if you want a good beginner acoustic then go to Musician's Friend and spend $99 to $200 on a name brand guitar and buy yourself a guitar tuner as well. These are crap and you will be sorry if you purchase any of them. Something like this is what I would suggest: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-fa-100-fender-acoustic-guitar-with-gig-bag?content=review#review

djp519

quality posts: 12 Private Messages djp519
shygote wrote:Pigs are flying, and hells are freezing over. Woot is offering a bass guitar! And it looks pretty sharp, too.

I was thinking almost the same thing! Kudos to Woot for finally including the bass players in one of these sales.

trevain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trevain

Am I the only one who sees the irony in having a Ukulele that cannot be shipped to Hawaii?

ienvyno1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ienvyno1

Ukulele that doesn't ship to Hawaii? Better watch out Woot. Don Ho will rise from his grave and Zombie Crunch ya. Yaaaaa Budddddy !!

agentxnine

quality posts: 4 Private Messages agentxnine

I wish Woot would offer some left handed instruments :/

Blerg

choralmusic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages choralmusic

I'll throw in my two cents here...

I've been playing guitar for 15 years, as well. I started on a Johnson, I believe, which had action high enough to be brutal to my hands. While I regret not having a barely decent guitar for performing in high school, having a guitar with higher action does work your hands out a bit more, though I understand the argument about quitting due to frustration. Maybe I was just determined. But the idea that you've got to start on a very good guitar just isn't true, at least in my case.

Also, what if you find out that you don't like playing, even if it's on a Yamaha, Ibanez or Epiphone? Now you're out 300 bucks on a perfectly-good-but-now-used name brand guitar. The first few weeks of guitar are the hardest, and if you're willing to learn on junk, then you'll probably stick with a better instrument. I dunno. That's just me.

Regarding this brand, I bought the classical guitar offered half a year ago, and it's not bad. It's not great compared to my Taylor or Martin, but it's perfect for a "don't worry about it if it gets bumped" guitar. I keep it at my office and it works fine for when I pick it up and play it once a week or so. It doesn't stay perfectly tuned, but, again, it was 50 bucks.

EDIT: It wasn't Pyle. It was a Spectrum guitar.

http://tech.woot.com/offers/classical-acoustic-guitar

cdubbya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdubbya

Took a ride to the music store today, these pyle guitars are just not well-known at all. I hope, for one, that they are making good instruments at that price. However, you gotta play something before you buy it, whether it's 10 bucks or 500. Or at least something like it. Nothing existed at the second hand store either, so I'm going to pass.
Picked up a Squier Tele for 279, though.

cdubbya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdubbya
agentxnine wrote:I wish Woot would offer some left handed instruments :/

At these prices, turn it over and string it upside down. That's how Jimi did it.

hossie33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hossie33

A little background to start, I've been playing bass guitar and electric guitar for over ten years now. In high school I worked at a Music and Arts store. The main focus of Music and Arts, if you've never encountered one, is rental instruments for kids in school bands, private lessons with teachers, and so forth. We did though always have around 60 or so guitars and basses in stock. Specifically speaking on the acoustics, my advice to beginners is that anything under the $200 price point or so is just about guaranteed to be a 100% laminate guitar. What that means is the instrument is basically a bunch of pieces of wood pressed together into flat pieces. Around $200 you start running into guitars that at least have a solid top. Which do you think will sound and reverberate better, a bunch of little pieces of wood forced together or one solid piece? It's very easy to tell if a guitar has a solid top or not by looking in the sound hole. If the edge looks like it has vertical ring lines going around the hole, then it's a solid top. If the hole is painted over or if it looks like 3 pieces of wood laid on top of each other, it's a laminate.

In general speaking, if you're at all serious about it, it was and still is my opinion you should at least put a little bit of money into it at first. You won't REALLY experience what it's like playing an instrument unless it's a decent instrument. Cheaper instruments don't sound or feel as good and can actually hurt you whether it be bad action (how the strings sit off the instrument which can lead to uncomfortable playing which can lead to things like tendinitis and general bad playing habits) or badly filed metal pieces like the frets can end up cutting you.

I used to sell a lot of these if I remember correctly. This is the what I consider to be the minimum entry level.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jasmine-by-takamine-nex-cutaway-s34cfm-acoustic-guitar?src=3WWRWXGP

I would pass on using these for anything other than my best impression of Pete Townshend.

carlcampbelljr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages carlcampbelljr
hossie33 wrote:
I would pass on using these for anything other than my best impression of Pete Townshend.

Thanks for the info...

"We wont get fooled again"

kren2000

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kren2000

I'm bummed, I really wanted to get a bass (and lambasted woot the last time they had guitars for not including a bass) but...

Amazon has this for $210. Woot has it for $175 with shipping. That's only 15% off if my math is right.

Pooopy. I'm better off collecting coupons and hitting the guitaromart sales.

Karen

ciabelle

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ciabelle
trevain wrote:Am I the only one who sees the irony in having a Ukulele that cannot be shipped to Hawaii?

Came here to post the same thing, so in a word: no.

Robearlbms

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Robearlbms

I can't really tell the quality of these, but if you want a good starter guitar for $150.00 then

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-grx20-electric-guitar

Considered one of the best buys for the buck. Action is excellent and pickups are decent for the price.

RickyRicky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RickyRicky

Did anyone get two of these when they only ordered one?

RickyRicky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RickyRicky

Not to mention these things came with the wrong strings entirely... If you bought one of these, make sure to pick up some Soprano Ukulele Strings off of Amazon. I highly recommend Worth strings or Aquila.

RickyRicky wrote:Did anyone get two of these when they only ordered one?