Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3454 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

pretty good reviews (over 4 out of 5 stars) over at Dell.com

zgrav

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zgrav

sound bars with subwoofers can be good solutions for small rooms, or for folks wanting a little bit more than the sound coming out of their TVs without the fuss and bother of dealing with separate speakers.

Zgrav

pound30

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pound30

Just wonder if there is a way to hook up an iphone / ipad for listening pleasure but according to spec's I do not see any sort of an ipad / ipod / iphone connection. Shame, or I'd be all over this. Moving to an apartment soon and a soundbar w/sub woofer is something I will be purchasing.

zmatley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zmatley

Hey, planner humor! Not sure many folks will get half of the jokes in that writeup but my planner wife and I are going to frame it and hang it on our office walls! Oh yeah, and about those speakers, sorry but my wife says NIMRR.

ashadipenguin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashadipenguin

I wouldn't expect miracles from the sub woofers that normally come with sound bars, but they do add a nice mmph when its needed. Sharp is a solid brand when it comes to speakers, but I would probably steer more towards a Panasonic or Sony. It's pretty hard to beat at this price though, If only I didn't buy 10 of those woot shirts earlier...

disraeli

quality posts: 7 Private Messages disraeli

In the Box:
Pattern Paper

Say what?

Technically, the glass is always full.

mskeem

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mskeem
disraeli wrote:In the Box:
Pattern Paper

Say what?

It's to assist in wall mounting the bar.

mskeem

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mskeem

Bought one of these last time it was on woot.

If you're just looking for something for the bedroom or just want to have decent sound instead of built-in TV speakers, it's worth the price for sure. It puts out respectable amounts of sound for the size IMO, but then again, I'm no audiophile.

jetsonian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jetsonian
pound30 wrote:Just wonder if there is a way to hook up an iphone / ipad for listening pleasure but according to spec's I do not see any sort of an ipad / ipod / iphone connection. Shame, or I'd be all over this. Moving to an apartment soon and a soundbar w/sub woofer is something I will be purchasing.

It has both a RCA (Red/White) and a 3.5mm (Headphone) connection, both of which will work with any device with a headphone port with the right cable ($2-3 on monoprice).

ocie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ocie

I bought this when it was up a month or so ago. Works great for my setup. Smaller living room with a 55" TV, sitting about 8' or 9' away. The woofer adds some surprising oomph and the bar is crisp and clear but not tinny. Setup was easy and the 3xHDMI in are nice, but 4 would have been perfect. ARC works great when watching Netflix through my TV.

There is some lag from power on to the time audio and video work, but I think that's expected. Maybe 10 seconds from the off position. Switching between sources while on takes a few seconds.

There is a fan in the receiver which you can hear, but I only really notice it when switching inputs. It seems to ramp on when there's actual audio playing and slows down when there isn't.

The receiver turns on and off when I'm using my TV remote to power the TV on and off. And the volume control on my TV controls the receiver, though that may just be a feature of my TV it detects that it's running through a receiver.

All in all I'd say this was definitely worth it for my setup. I can't imagine a better sound for the price.

Sorry if this was disjointed, I am posting from my phone.

nabilsalama

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nabilsalama
pound30 wrote:Just wonder if there is a way to hook up an iphone / ipad for listening pleasure but according to spec's I do not see any sort of an ipad / ipod / iphone connection. Shame, or I'd be all over this. Moving to an apartment soon and a soundbar w/sub woofer is something I will be purchasing.

3.5mm input

tivoburkee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tivoburkee

When's last time you heard of Sharp audio product, don't expect preset code in your oem cable or directv remotes. Buy this, you'll need a learning remote.

nabilsalama

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nabilsalama
mskeem wrote:It's to assist in wall mounting the bar.

Pattern to use for wall-mounting template

bmwbig6

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bmwbig6
tivoburkee wrote:When's last time you heard of Sharp audio product, don't expect preset code in your oem cable or directv remotes. Buy this, you'll need a learning remote.

Hmm from DirecTV:
Remote Code 10093

rsk173

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rsk173

if this has blue tooth for playing my iphone i would consider it but i don't see "bluetooth" anywhere.

FryeGuy93

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FryeGuy93

On every new item can Woot go ahead and put 2-posts on the message board:

1- I wonder if it's iPhone or iPad compatible

2- This is not that good for gaming.

I can't wait when the world views people who blather on about their Apple products or ask inane iPhone related questions like we all view people who still have @aol.com email addresses.

FryeGuy

FryeGuy93

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FryeGuy93
jetsonian wrote:It has both a RCA (Red/White) and a 3.5mm (Headphone) connection, both of which will work with any device with a headphone port with the right cable ($2-3 on monoprice).

You can't expect an Apple person would want to use the same sort of connection that us commoners use.

I'm sure on his deathbed, Steve Job had plans to eliminate the 3.5 jack on the products.

FryeGuy

mikem53

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikem53

How can this device consume only 88 watts of input power.. and put out 100 watts for speakers, 100 watts for the sub.. ?? Obviously the output is far less than advertised... the only spec I believe is the 10% distortion and I would bet that's underrated..
While this may work fine in a small room and better the sound from the TV.. don't expect too much..

laxdoc31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laxdoc31

Will this work with a non arc tv?

kr4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kr4
laxdoc31 wrote:Will this work with a non arc tv?

Sure. Just get the signal from the cable/satellite box and feed the video to the TV.

ben4thewin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ben4thewin

So let me get this straight, do the 3 HDMI ports like a hub as well? So if I have a Xbox, a Blu-Ray, and a TV, I can connect all three of these to the input HDMI on the sound bar and connect the TV to the output HDMI to allow my Xbox and Blu-Ray to use the TV display?

I've looked at sound bars before, but I guess I was pricing myself too low because this is the first one I've seen with multiple HDMI ports.

jchelman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jchelman

Use the 3.5 input

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

I just love amplifiers that make 4 times more power than they use. A total marketing misrepresentation. This actually delivers 18.5 watts per channel at 5% THD @ 2 ohms (L&R) The sub amp delivers 39 watts into 2 ohms at 5% THD.

It makes enough sound for a bedroom or dorm but is by no means a powerhouse. It is certainly better sounding than the speakers that come in today's TVs.
Yes someone gave this to me non working and I repaired it. Yes, this was an actual bench test I performed. Yes, I am an electronics engineer and can fix things.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Neilrg6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Neilrg6

I am a novice at audio so excuse the simplicity of the questions. There is a soundbar that goes infront of the TV, a separate subwoofer and then the "main unit". Do you need separate speakers? Using a cable box and ps3 what gets wired to what?

colinp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages colinp

It does have a 3.5mm input jack, which is the same as an iPod/iPhone audio out connection. It may not be a digital connection, but it will work just fine.

jdh23662

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdh23662

BEWARE...I bought this "new" sound-bar system the last time it was on Woot. It arrived with the components literally tossed loose into a plain cardboard box...An obvious referb or return. I questioned the "new" condition and was offered a full refund. I took it.

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
mikem53 wrote:the only spec I believe is the 10% distortion and I would bet that's underrated

With 10% THD you'd think they would just leave it off and let people wonder. Maybe there's an audience that figures if THD is listed then it must be serious audio gear, because that's one of the specs you get with that stuff.

For reference, decent amplifiers, even in under $200 receivers, typically have THD under 0.1%. That's a hundred times better than this thing.

Some people obviously like this kind of speaker system. It will probably be better than TV speakers, and, if you are looking for boomy distorted explosions in action movies, it will provide them.

And it costs less than half what I paid for my first real stereo receiver and pair of speakers thirty-five years ago. I got a 16W per channel receiver for just under $200 and a pair of used-as-demos bookshelf speakers (with little 8" woofers) for about the same.

colinp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages colinp

Question: I am confused. How is this device hooked up? I don't have a cable box-I connect my TV directly to the cable jack. Can I still use this or other sound bars?

My TV is a Panasonic TC-P50S30.

My TV speakers fire backwards towards the wall, which not only changes the sound, it is a bedroom wall, so it disturbs someone trying to sleep. I am hoping a sound bar can help with this problem.

It appears that the cable is hooked to this device, then to the TV? Is this true? That can't work without a cable box, can it, since it has no idea which channel to use, right?

Can I hook the audio OUTput of the TV to this sound bar system? If I do that, does the TV volume control the volume or do I have to use the remote that comes with the sound bar?

Help, please! This is a good price for a sound bar, considerably less than the price of any Panasonic unit.

Halsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Halsey

This looks fairly interesting, and I'm in need of a new soundbar (my SoundMatters HD that I got from woot 4 year ago just died), but I have one question from any of you who have one. Can the electronics tower we laid on its side. I have a built in book case that houses my TV and where this unit would be, and it won't work vertically.

Halsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Halsey
colinp wrote:Question: I am confused. How is this device hooked up? I don't have a cable box-I connect my TV directly to the cable jack. Can I still use this or other sound bars?

My TV is a Panasonic TC-P50S30.

My TV speakers fire backwards towards the wall, which not only changes the sound, it is a bedroom wall, so it disturbs someone trying to sleep. I am hoping a sound bar can help with this problem.

It appears that the cable is hooked to this device, then to the TV? Is this true? That can't work without a cable box, can it, since it has no idea which channel to use, right?

Can I hook the audio OUTput of the TV to this sound bar system? If I do that, does the TV volume control the volume or do I have to use the remote that comes with the sound bar?

Help, please! This is a good price for a sound bar, considerably less than the price of any Panasonic unit.

You would hook up the HDMI output from your TV to this unit

SilentLegend

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SilentLegend

I will be putting this in a small 10' x 12' room. Will the amp fan be an issue for late night viewings?

rimerson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rimerson
laxdoc31 wrote:Will this work with a non arc tv?

It doesn't work very well. You can't send your DVD signal through it and control the volume with the tv control. I tried the optical connection but had to use the red/white wire connections. I'm not happy.

rimerson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rimerson

This all seemed so easy until I realized my tv doesn't have ARC (audio return channel). Suddenly the setup isn't so easy. The optical connection had a loud output and I couldn't control the volume. I had to use the red/white cables to get it to work.

I can't find the code for my Xfinity remote to turn it on and off. Yes, I called comcast and asked. They didn't know. One more remote to the pile.

The base booms one loud note. Equilizer settings are inadequate.

cbabcock2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cbabcock2

I bought this from BestBuy a couple months ago. I have not tweeked it yet, but it works great so far. I was three rooms away and the kids were playing Oblivion. I hear a loud crash and I thought the TV fell over or something. Very good life like sound!!!

nvidiatnt2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nvidiatnt2

I bought this last time it was on Woot - totally worth the purchase. Although not audiophile quality, if you're looking for something that can pump out serious volume and bass in a small to medium size room, you can't beat the price TBH. I've been thoroughly impressed with my purchase. The HDMI repeater function is awesome - hook everything up to one spot, I love it!

stevei44

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevei44

Bought last time, the sound bar actually produces lower sound quality than my TV, the sub woofer is just decent if you expect the absolute minimum or hook it up to a computer. I set it up in a 10x12 and the sound bar is NOT impressive. BTW you have to unplug it from the TV to listen to the TV speakers. Just sayin I wouldn't do it again. To claim 400 watts is embarrassing, I'd have to say closer to 40.

Rafael2005turbo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Rafael2005turbo

does anyone know if it has AUX input to plug in other music devices??? like ipods and phones??? please help

norrihe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norrihe

Was worth it last month when we paid $175....refund checks in the mail....right woot?