3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

this dogs penis again?

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3807 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Solid reviews (4.3 out of 5.0) over at Tigerdirect.com

retom7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages retom7

I was thinking it might be cool if Woot actually put up a TV from time to time.

showcaller

quality posts: 34 Private Messages showcaller

Woot.... seriously... not trying to be some wise_ _ _ here but really... don't you think you have posted enough TV's and laptops to hold off for a few months or are that many firms offering you so much product it is just to hard to resist?

axemurderer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages axemurderer

i bought this last time, i've been pretty happy with it.

the speakers kinda suck, but that's pretty common with the thin lcd/led tvs... that's pretty much the only con.

it DID take a bit of configuring to get the picture adjusted well, out of the box (and the default settings) were pretty lousy and washed out. once i adjusted the settings, the picture quality's been pretty great.

for whatever it's worth...

sexyjake1387

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sexyjake1387

Why wont it let me change the quantity to 2? Can I buy 1 and then buy it again?

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3807 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

I purchased a similar LG from Woot a few months back and love it. LG does not skimp on the quality of their products. The bezel is slim and the picture is very sharp.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sexyjake1387 wrote:Why wont it let me change the quantity to 2? Can I buy 1 and then buy it again?

One per person, please.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

sexyjake1387

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sexyjake1387
ThunderThighs wrote:One per person, please.

aww dang.. I need 2 matching TV's for my mancave.. guess I will have to wait.. Thank you for answering my question.

doomtothee

quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

A useful video review of this model.

Followed by a completely useless generic spam video review of this model. Just in case anyone else has absolutely nothing to do. Although... it does claim to be the most helpful review on youtube so... maybe I'm just being skeptical.

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

robio

quality posts: 42 Private Messages robio

Hey fellow Wooters, I have a general question for owners of HDTVs: Am I crazy to want 720p over 1080p?

I'm sure anything made in the last few years looks great in 1080, but every time I'm at my in-laws, where their 7492-inch behemoth is always on, every TV show looks like crap.

I can't focus on the story because the sets look like sets, the camera movements feel like there's a camera in the room — everything about the experience just screams "this is fake!" It feels like I'm watching a stage rehearsal, not a finished production.

I honestly can't imagine how anyone can stand it.

I still own a standard-definition tube TV (bought just before HD started becoming the norm), and while I wish it were bigger, I think just about everything I've seen on both sets, save for live sports, looks better on my TV than theirs.

What am I missing here? Would 720p be a good compromise, or would all the problems I have with HD be just as bad at that resolution? Does anybody even sell a decent 720p that isn't a super-pricy plasma?

comstock1869

quality posts: 1 Private Messages comstock1869

Not true 120Hz refresh rate but rather 60Hz with firmware to blend most of the shakiness that a 60Hz TV would have so that is appears to be a 120Hz refresh quality. MEH

bertfivesix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bertfivesix
robio wrote:I'm sure anything made in the last few years looks great in 1080, but every time I'm at my in-laws, where their 7492-inch behemoth is always on, every TV show looks like crap.

I can't focus on the story because the sets look like sets, the camera movements feel like there's a camera in the room — everything about the experience just screams "this is fake!" It feels like I'm watching a stage rehearsal, not a finished production.

That's not caused by the resolution, it's the 120Hz and higher refresh rate modes that TVs all seem to "need" now (LG calls it "TruMotion"). I think it looks terrible as well for everything save perhaps sports and nature documentaries, but thankfully you can just turn it off and you get your "normal" look and feel.

wchong4

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wchong4
robio wrote:Hey fellow Wooters, I have a general question for owners of HDTVs: Am I crazy to want 720p over 1080p?

I'm sure anything made in the last few years looks great in 1080, but every time I'm at my in-laws, where their 7492-inch behemoth is always on, every TV show looks like crap.

I still own a standard-definition tube TV (bought just before HD started becoming the norm), and while I wish it were bigger, I think just about everything I've seen on both sets, save for live sports, looks better on my TV than theirs.

What am I missing here? Would 720p be a good compromise, or would all the problems I have with HD be just as bad at that resolution? Does anybody even sell a decent 720p that isn't a super-pricy plasma?

It almost sounds like you're describing the difference in refresh rate, rather than resolution. The effect you describe sounds like 120 or 240hz on a show that was meant to air at 60hz. I call it the "Soap Opera Effect" where the movements appear way too smooth like someone's home HandyCam work.

Keep in mind that a native 1080p TV can manage 720p quite well. This should have no impact on the picture perception, at least according to what you describe.

Wayne4816

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wayne4816
robio wrote:Hey fellow Wooters, I have a general question for owners of HDTVs: Am I crazy to want 720p over 1080p?

Get a projector and badass surround system..

impact9

quality posts: 3 Private Messages impact9
comstock1869 wrote:Not true 120Hz refresh rate but rather 60Hz with firmware to blend most of the shakiness that a 60Hz TV would have so that is appears to be a 120Hz refresh quality. MEH

Not true. Go check the previous sale's reviews this was argued there as well. Several wooters did their own checks and this is in fact 120hz.

MMcCraryNJ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MMcCraryNJ

As someone else mentioned earlier, this particular TV is actually a 60 Hz panel, with some proprietary technology (black frame insertion or fast blinking backlight) in order to "emulate" 120 Hz.

Google search "LG 120Hz" and you'll be able to find more info about it. Basically, at least for the 2012 model year (and maybe even latter half 2011), LG has been falsifying the refresh rates of their TVs. A well-known audio/video review site pointed it out when they got a review unit of the LM6700. They did scientific testing of the panel and measured it out to be 60 Hz (since there were no TruMotion settings available to adjust and it raised a red flag).

When they asked LG about the settings, LG responded that the 120 Hz TruMotion is just always "on", and needs no other settings. This goes against how every other TV above 60 Hz actually works. When they did their testing and pointed out that the panel was truly 60 Hz, LG responded with a firmware update to that particular model that enabled DeBlur and DeJudder settings, however people found adjusting these gave little to no benefit, as the panel used to build the TV was still a 60 Hz panel. But it's not just LG that does this, basically every manufacturer has fibbed a bit about their refresh rates.

A good rule of thumb is to take the advertised refresh rate, and halve it. LG's 240 Hz TVs, for instance, are actual 120 Hz panels but with backlight and black frame tricks to "emulate" 240 Hz. I should know, I have an LM7600 (one model up from the 6700 that they tested) that's advertised as 240, but uses a 120 Hz panel. This shouldn't be used as a be all, end all guide though. Always research a particular model TV to be sure of what you're getting.

All of that out of the way, as long as you aren't bothered by it not being a 120 Hz TV, I'm sure it gives a good picture. I actually really love my LM7600, one of the best looking TVs I've ever seen.

Just be wary of specs, and research to make sure you're good with what you're getting!

EDIT: I can say for sure that in terms of the 2012 LGs, ANY LG model that isn't the LM7600 or higher uses a 60 Hz panel. So that is, the LM6700 and below all have it. This particular model is the mid-range line, and thus uses the 60 Hz panel.

mrdigby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrdigby

OK. I've had it. Tonight is the LAST time I will bother to check Woot.com.
After about a hundred TV sets, I can't stand it any longer. Where are the SATA hard drives? Where are the video cards? Where are the (dare I say it) Roombas?
TV TV TV TV> Yuck.
By the way.... I work for a major network as a news photographer. I HATE television. And I still have an old 27" CRT. Why bother with a fancy TV when only crap is televised?

morninwood000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morninwood000

Really?

Bought this tv yesterday wish I had this deal

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU
mrdigby wrote:OK. I've had it. Tonight is the LAST time I will bother to check Woot.com.
After about a hundred TV sets, I can't stand it any longer. Where are the SATA hard drives? Where are the video cards? Where are the (dare I say it) Roombas?
TV TV TV TV> Yuck.
By the way.... I work for a major network as a news photographer. I HATE television. And I still have an old 27" CRT. Why bother with a fancy TV when only crap is televised?

The video cards I've seen go to sellout and tech.woot. I remember when everyone was complaining about too many vacuums (the Roomba, etc.). The hard drives haven't seen much, I agree. The CRT I would have held onto as well, but it started turning itself off.

Oh, and $449.99 again tonight like last time.

Product page
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47LS4500-led-tv

Support page
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-47LS4500#

but you have to click the link over there to get the manual's pdf, not linkable.

Good night

gsamjohnson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsamjohnson

I will never in my lifetime buy another LG product. They have the worst customer service I have ever encountered. I wouldn't buy this if all I had to pay for was shipping.

gsamjohnson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsamjohnson
conanthelibrarian wrote:I purchased a similar LG from Woot a few months back and love it. LG does not skimp on the quality of their products. The bezel is slim and the picture is very sharp.

good thing you didn't have a problem with them. LG customer service sucks

highonpez

quality posts: 7 Private Messages highonpez

If I needed a TV, I would buy this for the write-up alone.

stephen6789

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stephen6789

Awesome TV. I bought this model a month ago new for $550. grrr... I have no problems buying refurbed if the warrantee is decent. Being 120hz should have been in the main description. this is NOT old technology.

DoctorZchicago

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DoctorZchicago

Warren Miller ski films? The real deal was John Jay. That's all I have to ay about that!

Doctor Zchicago
from the Compound- in The Bunker, United Snakes of Amerika

simssj

quality posts: 3 Private Messages simssj
gsamjohnson wrote:good thing you didn't have a problem with them. LG customer service sucks

Amen! The *best* thing about this deal is, because it's a refurb TV, you'll only have to subject yourself to LG's abysmal Customer Service for 90 days, instead of the typical year or more!

dalealewis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dalealewis
sexyjake1387 wrote:aww dang.. I need 2 matching TV's for my mancave.. guess I will have to wait.. Thank you for answering my question.

u in a "man" cave, HO HO HO comeon

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
mrdigby wrote:OK. I've had it. Tonight is the LAST time I will bother to check Woot.com.
TV TV TV TV> Yuck.

Don't forget to finish the flounce by stomping your feet and slamming the door on your way out.

maltschuld

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maltschuld

Bought this last time, pretty happy with it. picture quality great, super slim. havent wanted to turn the volume up to max yet, doubt i will.

BUT woot, the specs are wrong AGAIN, it does not have 2 component in and 1 AV in!

smib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smib

Does anyone know if the optical out on this set will allow volume adjustment? I have what seems to be an older version of this set and it does not, meaning I'm required to use an amp/receiver with optical in(and a remote), or none at all.

jonasskardis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonasskardis

I bought a similar display from samsung, and looked at this one in the store. The downside with this and a lot of LED tv's for me is the lack of inputs. I ended up returning the samsung and getting a LG LCD display for the extra inputs (4 HDMI ports and a VGA input versus 2 HDMI's for the LED)

ManKitten

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ManKitten
retom7 wrote:I was thinking it might be cool if Woot actually put up a TV from time to time.

...or a laptop.

farley999

quality posts: 2 Private Messages farley999
sexyjake1387 wrote:aww dang.. I need 2 matching TV's for my mancave.. guess I will have to wait.. Thank you for answering my question.

Make another account !

davidetodd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidetodd

Anyone see an input lag rating in review-land? Wondering if this is suitable for gaming on.

msujp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages msujp

YMMV on clearance brand new at my Target for 449

group4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages group4

Great buy, I paid $100 more last month for the same TV at that blue store. OH well, Live and learn.

cassyg9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cassyg9

Trollololol

doomtothee wrote:A useful video review of this model.

Followed by a completely useless generic spam video review of this model. Just in case anyone else has absolutely nothing to do. Although... it does claim to be the most helpful review on youtube so... maybe I'm just being skeptical.

JayDrake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JayDrake

That might be a decent tv for the kids' bedroom, but not enough inputs for my liking. (Just one more would probably do...)