3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

QuantumRand

quality posts: 4 Private Messages QuantumRand

Will I have to worry about Apple suing me if I buy this?

factotum

quality posts: 10 Private Messages factotum

The name MP4 player is a marketing term for inexpensive portable media players, usually from little known or generic device manufacturers. The name itself is a misnomer, since most MP4 players are incompatible with the MPEG-4 Part 14 or the .mp4 container format. Instead, the term refers to their ability to play more file types than just MP3.

hudsm9589

quality posts: 8 Private Messages hudsm9589
factotum wrote:The name MP4 player is a marketing term for inexpensive portable media players, usually from little known or generic device manufacturers. The name itself is a misnomer, since most MP4 players are incompatible with the MPEG-4 Part 14 or the .mp4 container format. Instead, the term refers to their ability to play more file types than just MP3.

And knowing, is half the battle.

Also these are insanely cheap, only a 90 day warranty.

Just go to best buy and spend 30-40$ on a new Sansa, save yourself the head ache.

note2001

quality posts: 25 Private Messages note2001
QuantumRand wrote:Will I have to worry about Apple suing me if I buy this?

I don't think Apple feels threatened by these at all and they don't share any trademarks that I can tell.

I'm curious if these can be MacGyver-ed into anything fun. Cheap price for a touch screen.

alexmg2420

quality posts: 5 Private Messages alexmg2420

Dear god, it's the new Sansa! Except crappier.

tljx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tljx
note2001 wrote:
I'm curious if these can be MacGyver-ed into anything fun. Cheep price for a touch screen.

The touch screens on these cheap "mp4" players are almost always frustratingly difficult to use resistive touchscreens.

I'd save my money.

tapehands

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tapehands

Look ma! I might have a quality post!
This looks to be the manufacturer (link goes directly to their MP4 devices page.) Their support page doesn't appear to have this exact model listed, though.

lichme

quality posts: 2684 Private Messages lichme

Its cheap enough that I wouldnt care if I forgot it on a bus.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lichme wrote:Its cheap enough that I wouldnt care if I forgot it on a bus.

Not bad for your kiddo to use as a phone instead of yours either.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

danpalm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages danpalm

These are cheap made-in-china no-name brand mp3 players that can be found all over ebay, along with its many variants (some with camaras, others without)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=mp3+touch&_udlo=6.1&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_mPrRngCbx=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=mp3+touch+2.8&_sacat=0

Woot does have a good price on it though, probably wouldn't be too bad as a losable, breakable device

theimmc

quality posts: 9 Private Messages theimmc

Found a youtube video. Looks identical, except for the stylus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plUNDL8DsDc

4 hours of battery life is too anemic for me.

billrhea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billrhea

Someone called from 2001 and wanted their money back. What the heck would anyone do with 4gb?

ZLoth

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ZLoth

Is this what you give bad little children at Christmas time who keep bugging you for a iPhone/iPad/iWhatever, but don't do their chores and their homework?

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester

A cheap, on the go MP3 player is a great thing to have if you either have no money for an iPod, or don't want to worry about losing the one you have.

I hope to see this in the next Woot-off, as I'm too broke to nab one now.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen

This looks to be the same with interesting reviews:
http://www.lightinthebox.com/2-8-inch-touch-screen-mp5-player-fm-camera-voice-recorder-4gb_p425707.html

StarBob

quality posts: 14 Private Messages StarBob
billrhea wrote:Someone called from 2001 and wanted their money back. What the heck would anyone do with 4gb?

Aren't currently made and sold Ipod shuffles three times the price and only have 2 GB on them? I think some people can actually survive with only a thousand songs at a time...

StarBob

quality posts: 14 Private Messages StarBob

I'd like to have a cheap mp3 player just to leave in my car that I wouldn't worry about having stolen or broken. However, I feel like leaving this in my car would just be incentive to have people smash my window. I need an MP3 player that looks like crap, not like an ipod touch.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen
billrhea wrote:Someone called from 2001 and wanted their money back. What the heck would anyone do with 4gb?

I for one have done plenty with my 2gb Sansa Clip, so I can do twice as much with 4gb.
In for two.

Kharmakazy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kharmakazy

Meh. You can get an older model android phone for that price with much better battery life and way more features.

ap210

quality posts: 47 Private Messages ap210

Go to mall and pretend you are talking on it (i.e. iphone).

Set it down and "forget it".

Film some Huckleberry Hound stealing your "iphone" without turning it in to lost and found (this happens every 5 minutes at every mall in America)

Post it on youtube.

I'd say that is worth $15 of entertainment.

(edit: Huckleberry Hound = maoron (- the a) lol)

1. 11/6Rmba
  2. 11/13Scba
  3. 11/16LtchWlssSystm
  4. 11/16Gmbrdg
  5. 11/16SnDskPlyr
  6. 11/16UFO
  7. 11/16LtchWlssHdphns"lbl fll ff"
  8. 11/17LtchXbxhdst
  9. 11/173xLkFrg
  10. 11/25iPdShfflClck
  11. 12/62xBpMntrs
  12. 12/133xNxs25XM

ironlad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ironlad

Looks similar to a SHARP model I got at a CVS store awhile back .. screen works fine, but battery life is so-so, and it uses the oddball mini sd memory chips. Adaptors ain't too hard to find, though .. worth a look.

mwinkykitty

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mwinkykitty

Yeah, I have a 4gb Sansa Clip and it works wonders for storing audiobooks. That's like 8 novels worth.. or hundreds upon hundreds of hours. How often do you go without being in front of a computer to change your player's contents?

My MP3 player from 2001 (that I still have!) only has 32 megabytes of memory... how far we've come.

rabbijosh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rabbijosh

just curious is anyone knows if these can sync with any desktop calendar programs. I'm looking for a cheap, easy handheld with a calendar app that IS NOT a smart phone...

Camino1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Camino1

Does this play books on audible.com?

sleepy35758

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sleepy35758

Put about a 1,000 songs on it.

angelsm9

quality posts: 6 Private Messages angelsm9

Considering it's a knock off with absolutely no wifi and app database, I would wager a bet that someone could fit quite a bit of songs onto it. This would be something I would feel comfortable giving a child during long car rides. I wouldn't care if it got broken, and there's no apps or internet for them to mess around with (or destroy). But seriously, I have a 16 GB iPhone, and I am only using 1.32 GB for 110 songs. I don't feel the need to sync 1000s of songs to my phone, so I only keep a few playlists full of music that I ACTUALLY listen to (because how many of you skip songs you don't want to listen to?) and I switch them out or update them once every month or so. Most of the space on my phone is taken up by apps and photos, and I STILL have 3.28 GB of free space. This thing doesn't have downloadable apps, and the only photos it can hold are the ones you physically add to it via USB. So 4 GB is plenty, trust me. Give it to your kids if you're not quite ready for them to have internet-enabled devices at their fingertips 24/7.

cappo

quality posts: 31 Private Messages cappo

I considered this as a cheap thing that can play video that I wouldn't mind if it broke, but then I saw it has a 400mA battery.

wootmatthew

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootmatthew

Does this has a resume function, or stand by?

I want something like this for audiobooks with long chapters.

Rozie13

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Rozie13

I think I'm in for two, for the 7 and 4 year old. The lack of internet connectivity is a major bonus for parents, and at this price, I'm over it if they destroy it (or if I feel they're over-using it, and it - oops - "got lost" when I want to be rid of it).

fjp999

quality posts: 14 Private Messages fjp999

I knew it looked familiar.

I joined some sort of club, it came after I filled out a postcard. Cancelled the club. Got the player for free.

What a frustrating piece of ****! I dont understand why some jpg will show and some will not. Same with avi files... some play and some dont - not sure why.

The touch screen is very un-responsive. One never knows if it has registered or not. Takes some time, a few seconds to respond if they have registered. I dont think there is a volume control. I cant find it on the display!?!?!

I dont remember if the earplugs came broken or if I just threw them in my junk bag. I can check if anyone cares... I do remember that they were the exact same ones pictured.

The only good thing I can say about the thing is that mine was FREE and that the files are drag and drop. Good luck in getting them to play (btw most of my mp3 files do play).

jokerfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jokerfan

would be a great deal if it was expandable to more than just 8GB's. C'mon my flash drive which I also bought here is 64GB's

jjeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjeff
tljx wrote:The touch screens on these cheap "mp4" players are almost always frustratingly difficult to use resistive touchscreens.

I'd save my money.

Very true.
I have this exact player(or mine looked exactly the same). It was purchases ~y2k and it was my first MP3(never understood the whole MP4 thing....) player. It actually worked until about 6 months ago although I had long stopped using it(it's been passed down several times). As you said the screen was kind of hard to push and the resolution wasn't anything like anything current. For the time it was cool but now days it's more a joke than anything else. ~ Christmas when BB had a $5 gift card for each MP3 player you recycled with them I got rid of it.
The guy kind of balked because a) he could hardly tell what it was(it wouldn't power on) and b) it didn't really have a S/N which was a requirement of the promotion. Luckily he was cool and just wrote down the number of one of the IC chips since this device doesn't really have a S/N...
This device is truly a blast from the past.......Y2K anyone ;)
Again this device does work and I never really had a problem with it(before it died after more than 10 years) but I'd really suggest something like a cheap Sansa player if your really on that much of a budget.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
Kharmakazy wrote:Meh. You can get an older model android phone for that price with much better battery life and way more features.

Yes but you've been saying "meh" since Nov 2006!

asantayana

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asantayana

Does anyone know if this thing has a speaker? I figure this way my kid can use it without the ear buds.

jjeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjeff
asantayana wrote:Does anyone know if this thing has a speaker? I figure this way my kid can use it without the ear buds.

I very much doubt it, a very similar model I had did not have speakers and earphones were the only audio out.

retropug

quality posts: 2 Private Messages retropug

Write "IPOD" on the top with a sharpie and send your kid off to school with it. They will be one of the "cool" kids in no time!

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

Well, I did ask for a non-Apple MP3 player, yesterday, didn't I?

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090

IPOD KILLER! At least you don't have to use Itunes.

Kerig

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Kerig

Just when I thought Woot was selling too many high quality, high cost items.
Now we get the snApple sighPod Touché™.

I love Sunday night woots...