phpeters87

quality posts: 8 Private Messages phpeters87

As mentioned, probably a good gift for a kid.

I have a 6GB Refurbed Sansa that I bought here on Woot about 5 years ago and it still works and sounds great.

I also paid a lot more for it than $14.99. I think it was $34.99, but MP3 players have plummeted in price since then like most electronics.

If you have kids, it might be worth buying a few as stocking stuffers or for a "Secret Santa" gift at your office party come Christmas.

I have enough MP3 players, including the Dell DJ 20GB player that actually has a Hard Drive and still works after nearly 9 years, the 6GB Sansa, the 16GB iPod in my old iPhone, the 36GB (with Micro SD card) in my current LG Motion phone (BTW, great phone at a great price.)and even a 1GB Sansa player.

The good thing about the Sansa players is the built-in FM tuners which are great for listening to the TV while on the Cardio machines at the gym.

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac
danpalm wrote:These are cheap made-in-china no-name brand mp3 players...

So where is your MP3 / MP4 player made? And if you say Canada I won't believe you.

kdo72

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kdo72

I presume one could play this though a radio or some external speakers. At 20 dollars this most likely would be fine for your car.

Narfcake

quality posts: 280 Private Messages Narfcake
StarBob wrote:... However, I feel like leaving this in my car would just be incentive to have people smash my window. I need an MP3 player that looks like crap, not like an ipod touch.

In my first car, because it was not in the budget for a $15 install kit so it just sat loose in the dashboard pocket, I wrapped duct taped around the face of the car stereo so it looked like it was broken already.

Nobody did ever try to steal it.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
ironlad wrote:Looks similar to a SHARP model I got at a CVS store awhile back .. screen works fine, but battery life is so-so, and it uses the oddball mini sd memory chips. Adaptors ain't too hard to find, though .. worth a look.

Trust me, these cheapies are in NO WAY are comparable to a brand name, Sharp or otherwise. I'm surprised they are still on the market. I had one or tow a few years back and the O/S was unreliable, the screen was bad--looking and y HAD to use the little stylus to get it to respond. You get what you pay for.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

dclark61

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dclark61
phpeters87 wrote:
I have a 6GB Refurbed Sansa that I bought here on Woot about 5 years ago and it still works and sounds great.

Yes, because most likely your Sansa had a killer audio chip, as the Sansas are known to have. I seriously doubt this thing does.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
cappo wrote:I considered this as a cheap thing that can play video that I wouldn't mind if it broke, but then I saw it has a 400mA battery.

It will probably come with some buggy program that needs to convert videos to a weird very small-screen format that won't always produce a workable file.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

dclark61

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dclark61
gak0090 wrote:IPOD KILLER! At least you don't have to use Itunes.

You don't have to use iTunes with iPods, either. There are several music managers that will sync to iPods besides iTunes, including MediaMonkey. Or you can Rockbox your iPod. Or if it's a supported model, you can jailbreak it. And then it'll play all those video formats that Woot claims it won't play.

Kitaman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Kitaman

Just what I need for the gym. Could care less if it drops. Only need up to 2 hours battery life there.

In for one.

dimustrace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dimustrace

Yeah. Can go wrong with a review like:

"Dear sir,
Am so delight about the TOUCH SCREEN MP5 PLAYER. This is a good move to we the young and up coming once. The camera and the voiced recording only can boost the produce, because the camera can serve as security for reference and the recording can give an evidence so the machine is very durable and fantastic for public use."

jiggersgreen wrote:This looks to be the same with interesting reviews:
http://www.lightinthebox.com/2-8-inch-touch-screen-mp5-player-fm-camera-voice-recorder-4gb_p425707.html

ebnub

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ebnub

I forsee Goodwill and Savers stores nationwide having these on their shelves in about two weeks.

adamant628

quality posts: 8 Private Messages adamant628
StarBob wrote:I'd like to have a cheap mp3 player just to leave in my car that I wouldn't worry about having stolen or broken. However, I feel like leaving this in my car would just be incentive to have people smash my window. I need an MP3 player that looks like crap, not like an ipod touch.

But think about how disappointed they'd be once they pick it up.

PhilCarr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages PhilCarr
dclark61 wrote:You don't have to use iTunes with iPods, either. There are several music managers that will sync to iPods besides iTunes, including MediaMonkey. Or you can Rockbox your iPod. Or if it's a supported model, you can jailbreak it. And then it'll play all those video formats that Woot claims it won't play.

Who wants to jailbrick some hyped-up hipster tech for which they just paid ~$200? I'd rather it just play the videos. It's obviously got enough power under the hood, but AAPL (yes, I used the ticker symbol for a reason) wants to make sure you spend ALL your entertainment dollars with them... Even if their interface is the worst. Ever. Period. Hate it. Drove me to Zune. Not really. Woot did...

playmore222

quality posts: 1 Private Messages playmore222

I have never had an mp3 player. If I were to get this what accessories would i need to buy to play the songs in my car? Could I just take this You seem to be interested in this so I thought you would know. I am a grandmother and have always wanted to use mp3 over cd,s . thanks

rmbarton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmbarton

I've been waiting for something like this but the audio recorder is a deal breaker. The spousal unit and I have jobs that you can't take audio recording devices, cameras, or anything with wi-fi capabalities into the work areas. For $15 it still has a microphone, and that's actually disappointing.

If anyone has suggestions for an absolute bare bones player, point me in the right direction.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
dclark61 wrote:You don't have to use iTunes with iPods, either. There are several music managers that will sync to iPods besides iTunes, including MediaMonkey. Or you can Rockbox your iPod. Or if it's a supported model, you can jailbreak it. And then it'll play all those video formats that Woot claims it won't play.

I know- just kidding. Actually I do use rockbox on an IPOD classic.

gak0090

I'm pretty sure if you root this, you can run windows 8- not that it would be any better than its current operating system, but I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Sarisin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sarisin

I use my iPod Touch for the apps and for music I prefer my Sansa, and, get ready for it...my Zune.

However, I did buy one of these cheapo units (similar to this one, but called Ematic or something like that) for my wife. It was really crap, but she liked it because it had Thai language support.;-)

stroupnp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stroupnp

Does anyone know if the charger/output on the bottom of this device is compatible with existing ipod docks?

amyteg1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amyteg1
alexmg2420 wrote:Dear god, it's the new Sansa! Except crappier.

Hey now, hey. Now. I LOVE me a cheap Sansa Clip! Those things are indestructible.

gak0090

WHATTT!!! NO HDMI OUT!

gak0090

amyteg1 wrote:Hey now, hey. Now. I LOVE me a cheap Sansa Clip! Those things are indestructible.

Plus it reminds me of sansamilla... or am I thinking of something else

jackietherussell

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jackietherussell

I want to know how any kid older than 3 wouldn't know the difference between this and an ipod - what, are you keeping your kids in a closet or something? 4 year olds know the Apple logo better than their own names! Fuggedaboudit!

dkf295

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dkf295

Did this company get sued out of existence for producing a touchscreen music playing device that had icons that were squares with rounded corners?

gak0090

Please tell me this comes with AirPlay!or at the very least bluetooth.

gak0090

dkf295 wrote:Did this company get sued out of existence for producing a touchscreen music playing device that had icons that were squares with rounded corners?

They really are squares, they just appear rounded since the resolution is like 80X60

zbaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zbaw
ThunderThighs wrote:Not bad for your kiddo to use as a phone instead of yours either.

This is exactly what I thought about when I first saw it!

damen31415

quality posts: 1 Private Messages damen31415

I will buy these and give them to nieces and nephews so they will understand in part how miserable meeces those stupid generic digital-clock-graphic video games were from the 90's after Gameboys came out.

electricquad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages electricquad

I owned one similar to this by GPX. I am pretty sure they are all made by the same factory in China.

Most of what I have to say has been said (+/-):
-Touch screen is a joke.
-Poor playback quality
+DRM free
-Woot is charging you for them instead of paying you to take them

My bottom line - if you want something to put in your car and play things in a directory and not worry about navigating to find the right song for the right moment. Then buy this. Otherwise save your money.

rfaldasz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rfaldasz

SD slot only goes to 8GB???

PhilCarr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages PhilCarr
stroupnp wrote:Does anyone know if the charger/output on the bottom of this device is compatible with existing ipod docks?

Surely you jest... this has to be a joke, but I'll bite on the bait. No, Apple would never stand for it, they may lose $15. Look closely at the pics and you'll see a mini-USB port on the bottom.

Wodinn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wodinn
amyteg1 wrote:Hey now, hey. Now. I LOVE me a cheap Sansa Clip! Those things are indestructible.

I've gone through probably... 4?... Clips in about as many years. Not their fault, as I beat the living daylights out of them, but they can be killed. Still, those and the Phillips GoGear Spark, also from Woot and surprisingly good, are fantastic players for the price. In for two next time either those show up, but this is a pass.

bwallin84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bwallin84

I have a 10 year old and (almost) 8 year old and they won't know the difference other than the name on it. My kids don't have ipods or ipads. I just bought my 10 year old his first phone and its a tracphone. Not all kids have all the amenities that some might think is necessary. My 10 year old got an mp3 player from WALMART for his birthday and he loved it. Wasn't touch screen or anything. My kids aren't spoiled and they appreciate things like this.

dhunter01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhunter01

Just throw your $14.99 in the bin and save yourself $5.00 on the shipping.

borgward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages borgward

Just need one to leave plugged in to interface with MyLink. Should work fine for my purpose.

gak0090

bwallin84 wrote:I have a 10 year old and (almost) 8 year old and they won't know the difference other than the name on it. My kids don't have ipods or ipads. I just bought my 10 year old his first phone and its a tracphone. Not all kids have all the amenities that some might think is necessary. My 10 year old got an mp3 player from WALMART for his birthday and he loved it. Wasn't touch screen or anything. My kids aren't spoiled and they appreciate things like this.

It's not about being spoiled. It's that at a $15 price point a non-touch MP3 player is going to work better than something with a cheap touchscreen. The cheap touch screens freeze-up, the players usually have poor sound output. Better off sticking with a non touch MP3 player at this price.

djgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djgirl
StarBob wrote:Aren't currently made and sold Ipod shuffles three times the price and only have 2 GB on them? I think some people can actually survive with only a thousand songs at a time...

I concur! These will be great little gifts for my 9 and 10 year old kiddos. The best part is you don't have to buy from itunes, where you have to be connected to the internet to "maybe" be able to access the music you purchased!

orubin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages orubin
billrhea wrote:Someone called from 2001 and wanted their money back. What the heck would anyone do with 4gb?

Real answer, put about 250 songs on it. Not enough for power users, but kids might be happy.

And if you hide this and just slightly flash it as you use it, people might think you have an iPod touch! :-(

Derekl999

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Derekl999
billrhea wrote:Someone called from 2001 and wanted their money back. What the heck would anyone do with 4gb?

Actually I had an MP3 player in 2001 and it had 32 MEG storage and a slot to add up to ANOTHER 32 megs of storage.

livebird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages livebird

Have one of these things.

If you want to kill all hope that there is technology out there that is user-friendly and fun to use then by all means give this to your child on that very long car ride. It'll make it even longer and you will wish for death to come and put you out of your misery.

Seriously. DON'T. EVEN. THINK. ABOUT. IT.

My daughter had it for a while. She was so excited and really wanted to enjoy it - took care of it, put it in her purse, kept headphones nearby, charged it overnight religiously. But it just failed, wouldn't play more than one or two songs, battery kept dying, interface was horrible. That look of "I got screwed" from her face was just too much.

I explained knock-offs and el-cheapo substitutes to her and told her to save her money if she wanted something else. Not long afterward she inherited an old LG Optimus V to use as her MP3 player/gaming device.