Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

bsmith1

quality posts: 111 Private Messages bsmith1

Better than a Google Nexus 10?

Barc7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barc7

Just long enough ago that it doesn't connect via USB, but with what looks like a proprietary connector.

lichme

quality posts: 3187 Private Messages lichme

Don't like to read? Watch this!

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

kcunha11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kcunha11

awesome tablet. have a 16GB in white and use it for everything. if you are a student, it pays for itself in no time at all. it is invaluable to me as a note taking device

jomion

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jomion
bsmith1 wrote:Better than a Google Nexus 10?

Screen res? No.
Functionality? Yes!

I need more...

ILGal

quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

I have this device. It is outstanding. The ability to take notes, multi-task, and view Flash content (even after the update to Jelly Bean) makes this a true productivity device. Screen is beautiful, it has good battery life, and you can WRITE ON IT! I bought mine new in October for $550 and do not regret a penny of it.

Unless you root, you cannot put apps on an sdhc card, but you can load it up with tons of movies and music!

Here is a YouTube video showing some of the many ways you can use this device to take notes. Visit her channel for lots of great ideas on how to put this tablet through its paces.

Please do not be dissuaded by those who will post of it having "only" 1280 x 800 resolution. Movies look amazing on this. They sound good, too, thanks to the front-facing speakers.

Go for it!!

mikeymac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikeymac
ILGal wrote:I have this device. It is outstanding. The ability to take notes, multi-task, and view Flash content (even after the update to Jelly Bean) makes this a true productivity device. Screen is beautiful, it has good battery life, and you can WRITE ON IT! I bought mine new in October for $550 and do not regret a penny of it.

Unless you root, you cannot put apps on an sdhc card, but you can load it up with tons of movies and music!

Here is a YouTube video showing some of the many ways you can use this device to take notes. Visit her channel for lots of great ideas on how to put this tablet through its paces.

Please do not be dissuaded by those who will post of it having "only" 1280 x 800 resolution. Movies look amazing on this.

Go for it!!

FLASH is dead, man. Haven't you heard? LOL!

ILGal

I have this case in purple. . Does the trick, looks nice, and comes in lots of colors (not all are this inexpensive, however).

ILGal

Lots of instructional vids I use are still in Flash, so it's useful for me and probably many other people as well (and it's ma'am, not man). :-D

mikeymac wrote:FLASH is dead, man. Haven't you heard? LOL!

Qanuk

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Qanuk
bsmith1 wrote:Better than a Google Nexus 10?

Hmmm. I think it depends on what you're using it for. The Nexus 10 is a better media consumption device, simply because of the higher resolution screen. But the Note is much much better for productivity. The S-pen digitizer allows you to take notes like nobody's business, and if you're in a math-type field like me (CS Masters program), it automatically recognizes formula that you put in, even higher math ones, like summation, derivatives, etc...

It's also able to open up two apps at the same time, so I can take notes on one half of the screen, and half a pdf of my textbook open on the other and annotate whichever one needs to be marked up.

Aaand, finally, the Note 10.1, because the pen uses the same tech as the Wacom tablets, is one heck of a sketchpad, and it lets me unleash my inner Watterson.

Hope that helps.

bobboag

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobboag

Dang woot charged me $460 for this two weeks ago. And come to think of it they didn't include the leather pouch that was featured back then either.

[MOD: Not the Galaxy Note.]

mybestuser1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybestuser1

Costco has it on sale and if you buy it here with foursquare 1YR warranty it is about the same price. I do believe Costco extends the manufacturers warranty on this item by a year but I am not shure.

Nothing is free but if you are lucky it can be inexpensive.

Qanuk

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Qanuk
Barc7 wrote:Just long enough ago that it doesn't connect via USB, but with what looks like a proprietary connector.

The connector is proprietary, but that's only for the dock. Otherwise, you use the USB adaptor.

Barc7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barc7

Already have a couple of tablets, as well as a Galaxy Note (I) phone. Otherwise, I might pull the trigger on this.

mikeymac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikeymac
ILGal wrote:Lots of instructional vids I use are still in Flash, so it's useful for me and probably many other people as well (and it's ma'am, not man). :-D

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. FLASH is alive and well. I apologize for the man, ma'am. :-)

ssgtakeo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssgtakeo

Damn bought one for Christmas for $150 more. It is a great tablet.

ILGal

No worries! Love my Note, Flash and all! :-D

mikeymac wrote:Yeah, I was being sarcastic. FLASH is alive and well. I apologize for the man, ma'am. :-)

bracr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bracr

Does it have GPS?
accelerometer?
compass?

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3914 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Great reviews (4.8 out of 5.0) straight from Samsung.com

mybestuser1

This note is different from the one at Costco. it only supports 32GB external card while the Costco note supports 64GB external card.

binners

quality posts: 1 Private Messages binners

I can't find any information anywhere, if this can work on a Mac?

jomion

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jomion
bracr wrote:Does it have GPS?
accelerometer?
compass?

GPS? CHECK.
ACCELEROMETER? CHECK-CHECK.
COMPASS? IN THE STOCK, IF PURCHASED WITH THE RED RYDER BB GUN.

I need more...

joselujano

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joselujano

This tablet is amazing for taking notes and multi-tasking. The S-pen is definitely the greatest feature though. Here are some sketches I've done on my galaxy note 10.1, just as an example of the precision and functionality of the S pen:
http://imgur.com/lzyXOyB
http://imgur.com/W5v8paE

ssgtakeo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssgtakeo
binners wrote:I can't find any information anywhere, if this can work on a Mac?

Just download the Mac Android downloader.

metagg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages metagg

This is what I should have bought for school instead of my Motorola Xoom. I guess I thought all tablets had smooth writing capability, but I quickly found out that trying to use my Xoom as a writing devise is more like finger painting, or drawing with crayons. This is something to keep in mind if you are seeing this Galaxy Note Pad and thinking that you could save money with a tablet. Tablets are more like over-sized smart phones. The touchscreens have limits as far as drawing and writing in fine detail. If you want something to write on, this thing is made for that.

Sokudoningyou

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Sokudoningyou

I actually just picked one up new for $500 last week from Best Buy, so I wouldn't think this is a great deal for refurbished (but that may just be me); the prices dropped after Samsung unveiled the Note 8. BB also has a dock for it for around $35. The only downside is that BB rarely has the 32 in stock; it's either ship to store or be lucky (like I was) that a nearby store had one.

In any event, as a student, this sucker is great. After picking up a Bamboo feel pen (don't bother looking on Amazon, you need to get it straight from Wacom), it's even better for note taking. About the only thing that throws me off is when I switch between my Note II and this; the notification menus are in different places, and the 10.1 has soft keys. And I do wish an app existed to recognize a different pen without removing the S Pen first. But such small prices to pay to have something this useful.

patrice2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages patrice2

A general note about Samsung manufacturer's warranty from an experience I just had earlier today. Be aware.

My Samsung Galaxy Player is 11 months old and after calling them about the (sealed, soldered-in) battery life going down to an unacceptable level, they said that if I sent it to their ONE AND ONLY point of repair in Texas it would receive a new battery. When I gave the customer service rep my model and serial numbers she commented that the numbers made it seem like it was not made-for-USA-market. But that device worldwide was built the same, so no matter.

Today I received the device back with a note that said nothing had been done to it because "Device worked." And then "Technician Advice: Return device to country it was manufactured for to receive repairs."

After 2 hours on the phone with Samsung, they told me that the Texas plant cannot repair anything not made for the US market, but they would try to figure out what country it was made for and get me the phone number for that repair plant--it seems like maybe it was meant for Mexico.

Pfft! My Square Trade extended warranty kicks in next month, or I'd be screwed. A refurb can't get that 3 year with accidental coverage, though. I bought it at Amazon.com, and no one shows the model's complete number, but even if you did have that and called Samsung with it, they don't always know what country it was meant to be sold in...no red flag went up when I registered the device, just when I tried to use the warranty.

[MOD: This has a 90-day Woot warranty]

ericshmerick

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ericshmerick
mybestuser1 wrote:Costco has it on sale and if you buy it here with foursquare 1YR warranty it is about the same price. I do believe Costco extends the manufacturers warranty on this item by a year but I am not shure.

Costco is $499 + tax + squaretrade. What kind of math are you doing?

The 16 gig was (is?) $449 or so but once you realize apps cannot easily install to a micro SD it becomes much less desirable.

I'm returning my Nexus 10 to WalMart tomorrow. The screen is neat but not the savior the Internet leads you to believe. Overpriced. (I have Nexus 4 and love pure Google before you bark at me).

This is mildly compelling but I don't think I'm in. Maybe at $249. It is much more functional than the N10 despite the scary things you read online about the "Oh, Magilla Gorilla! TERRIBLE" screen. It's perfectly fine IMO.

breaddrink

quality posts: 20 Private Messages breaddrink

Erics,
I am *this* close on pulling the trigger on the nexus 10. I'd be super interested to hear your thoughts on it seeing as how you returned yours.
I can't really find anything bad said about it online other than rival nonsense back and forths...

I've been around the block a few times in regards to buying newish technology, and I'm a little concerned it's over-priced too simply because of the maturity of the technology at the moment.
If certainly feels as though a new device is being released every month or two.

While I understand the need to take the plunge at some point, the market does have that feel of being undecided at the moment, and manufacturers seem to be disposing of earlier models rapidly.
The nexus' lack of peripherals isn't bolstering my confidence in regards to this either considering it was released 3 months ago and has had almost nothing released for it.

I guess my hesitancy is based on this, and the fact that I can't find a store that stocks them for me to try one out.
Messy release.

Again, any thoughts would be appreciated.

ericshmerick wrote:Costco is $499 + tax + squaretrade. What kind of math are you doing?

The 16 gig was (is?) $449 or so but once you realize apps cannot easily install to a micro SD it becomes much less desirable.

I'm returning my Nexus 10 to WalMart tomorrow. The screen is neat but not the savior the Internet leads you to believe. Overpriced. (I have Nexus 4 and love pure Google before you bark at me).

This is mildly compelling but I don't think I'm in. Maybe at $249. It is much more functional than the N10 despite the scary things you read online about the "Oh, Magilla Gorilla! TERRIBLE" screen. It's perfectly fine IMO.

mybestuser1

ericshmerick wrote:Costco is $499 + tax + squaretrade. What kind of math are you doing?

I was in a Costco store yesterday and they had a $50 instant rebate on what is probably a newer version since it supports a 64GB external memory card

dbdigital

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dbdigital

Is there an app to take written notes and export through optical character recognition type program into a file?

Also, can all MS Office files be Imported for taking notes?

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
mybestuser1 wrote:I was in a Costco store yesterday and they had a $50 instant rebate on what is probably a newer version since it supports a 64GB external memory card

Here's the Costco deal:
http://www.costco.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Tablet-10.1-WiFi-32-GB-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-4.0-Stylus-Pen-Included.product.11762384.html

It's the same device, just new and it's $499 after the $50 rebate.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

scotttampa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scotttampa
ILGal wrote:I have this device. It is outstanding. The ability to take notes, multi-task, and view Flash content (even after the update to Jelly Bean) makes this a true productivity device. Screen is beautiful, it has good battery life, and you can WRITE ON IT! I bought mine new in October for $550 and do not regret a penny of it.

Please do not be dissuaded by those who will post of it having "only" 1280 x 800 resolution. Movies look amazing on this. They sound good, too, thanks to the front-facing speakers.

Go for it!!

Youre mistaken, I got this last month, no flash, but who cares, nobody uses flash anyway... just wanted to let everyone know, just in case flash does matter. I believe only a few toshibas have it, but again, flash is gone... in the wind! You dont need it anyway...

scotttampa

I dont know why woot hasnt fixed the error that states 32gb memory extendable... I posted last time they were for sale, that it was wrong, and it is 64gb, according to samsung site... and I bought one, and using it right now, with a 64gb sd card in it! Love this thing, and it is so fast with the quad core! The color is so vibrant compared to my acer, and theyre both 1200x800, which is fine. This tablet has so much more than a regular tablet, as samsung overloads it with apps you WANT, and can use! If youre thinking about it, stop and get one before they sell out, and they will!

perpsley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perpsley

Today's woot is no deal. $379 @ Walmart all day long; 90 day factory warranty; pick your color - black or white. If you want a sleeve for it, I'm sure Walmart must sell them for probaby under $10, so you're still at a better price then Woot for this tablet. Best part, if you don't like or something is wrong with it, just walk into any Walmart up to 15 days from date received and get all your money back. No questions asked. I just ordered one Thursday from Walmart (a white one) and it will be delivered to me by FedEx today.

[MOD: That's 16GB. We are selling the 32GB. ]

scotttampa

perpsley wrote:Today's woot is no deal. $379 @ Walmart all day long; 90 day factory warranty; pick your color - black or white. If you want a sleeve for it, I'm sure Walmart must sell them for probaby under $10, so you're still at a better price then Woot for this tablet. Best part, if you don't like or something is wrong with it, just walk into any Walmart up to 15 days from date received and get all your money back. No questions asked. I just ordered one Thursday from Walmart (a white one) and it will be delivered to me by FedEx today.

Thats not the 32gb note... Just checked walmart, and THIS item is 549.99, not 3.. PLUS tax. Here is for 549.99

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-GT-N8013EAVXAR-with-WiFi-10.1-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.0-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-Operating-System-with-S-Pen/21097431?tv2=true&

chazus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chazus

Bought one. It was fantastic, except it had battery problems. Wouldn't charge fast (took almost two days for full charge). Even at full charge, stated ~1m left of power. Returned and exchanged it. Second one had same problem. Returned it for refund. Out of curiosity, walked to the display model at Best Buy where I got it. Display model had the same problem. Lots of people reporting battery problems. Buy at your own risk.

scotttampa

chazus wrote:Bought one. It was fantastic, except it had battery problems. Wouldn't charge fast (took almost two days for full charge). Even at full charge, stated ~1m left of power. Returned and exchanged it. Second one had same problem. Returned it for refund. Out of curiosity, walked to the display model at Best Buy where I got it. Display model had the same problem. Lots of people reporting battery problems. Buy at your own risk.

I had same problem with mine, using the usb charger that came with it... but you must also use the electrical plug that came with it and it works great... for some reason, I cant plug usb cable into usb battery backup charger, it only likes the electrical plug that came with it, but thats ok...

gingerschnapps

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gingerschnapps

I have the 16GB in white and I absolutely love this tablet! I used to have to carry my huge laptop around if I wanted to take well organized notes in class, plus textbooks. Not anymore! My back has never felt better. It's also cool because it blends in nicely when you have classes where professors don't want people using laptops.

The S pen is what really makes this tablet perfect for college students. Even if my handwriting is particularly crappy that day, the handwriting recognition still works well.

Another thing that I love about this tablet is the functionality of the keyboard. I'm taking a foreign language class and it's never been this easy to change the language. With one swipe of your finger, you can start typing in Spanish. Another swipe, and you've got Korean.

The battery lasts all day, which is great for only having to charge it for a few hours. I set the alarm for the first time a few nights ago and it scared the crap out of me at 5am. It's perfect!
Mine didn't come with Flash Player, but luckily you can still find it if you dig around on the Adobe archives.

Not only is this tablet great for school and work, it's awesome for watching movies and playing games (The Bard's Tale for example). I don't know how to root tablets, but I'm sure if you're tech savvy enough, you can get even more out of it.