ILGal

quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

You have to download the Flash player from Adobe (not the Play store) and install it. It will run. I did it. Won't run on Chrome, but it will run.

scotttampa wrote:Youre mistaken, I got this last month, no flash, but who cares, nobody uses flash anyway... just wanted to let everyone know, just in case flash does matter. I believe only a few toshibas have it, but again, flash is gone... in the wind! You dont need it anyway...

wayneqsr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wayneqsr

Here's a good video review of the 16Gb version. I couldn't find one of the 32Gb one, but hey, it's only twice the memory. Everything else looks to be the same.
http://electronicdeals.us/computers-accessories/samsung-galaxy-note-101-16gb-deep-grey-com/

blonig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blonig
Sokudoningyou wrote:

In any event, as a student, this sucker is great. After picking up a Bamboo feel pen (don't bother looking on Amazon, you need to get it straight from Wacom), it's even better for note taking. About the only thing that throws me off is when I switch between my Note II and this; the notification menus are in different places, and the 10.1 has soft keys. And I do wish an app existed to recognize a different pen without removing the S Pen first. But such small prices to pay to have something this useful.

You need to change the settings. Under s-pen, un-check the box for battery saving and it will recognize the different pen without removing the supplied one.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
scotttampa wrote:Youre mistaken, I got this last month, no flash, but who cares, nobody uses flash anyway... just wanted to let everyone know, just in case flash does matter. I believe only a few toshibas have it, but again, flash is gone... in the wind! You dont need it anyway...

It's not true that no one uses flash anymore- it's going away-yes, but it hasn't been replaced yet and there are many sites that still use flash. The fact that you can still run flash on many Android devices (albeit some need work-arounds)is nice. There are a lot of Kids education sites that still run programs based on flash. There will be a lot of legacy flash around for quite a while, you can either choose to ignore it, or you can take advantage of the ability to run it.

gak0090

bsmith1 wrote:Better than a Google Nexus 10?

If you are using the note taking, drawing, or anything using the stylus the Galaxy note is the way to go. If that stuff doesn't matter to you I would go with the Nexus 10 or I would probably go with the Asus TF700t which is at the perfect resolution to me at 1920 x 1200. And what is nice about this is that you can add the sweet keyboard dock to it if you wanted that gives you an extra battery and more USB and SD ports. The TF700t goes for about $440 right now. Personally I don't think the Nexus is a bad device I just think that 2560x1600 resolution on that size screen is wasted, because it's not discernible form the 1920X1200 yet it requires more processing power t drive those extra pixels. This translates into processing cycles that are wasted and consequently battery power that is wasted. The IPAD retina display is another example of this same folly. 1920X1200 is the perfect balance because you can still see HD content without scaling, yet you are not wasting processor power on driving unnecessary pixels.

jomion

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jomion

While the iPad is a novel "toy" for the business environment, the Galaxy Note is a multi-function power tool.

My favorite application is undoubtedly S-Note, for its note-taking capabilities that you have all heard of.

But, while you are taking notes you can jump to the menu and select "Create Event." This allows you to make an appointment or task with that very S-Note as an attachment, then jump right back to your original note without missing a beat. Nice!

I need more...

cage017

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cage017

So the difference between a Galaxy Tab and a Galaxy Note is you can draw on it and that's it?

I figured with the touch screen capabilities of a tablet, you could draw on any of them.

dcinelli1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcinelli1

I missed the Asus one on Friday because stupid Discover decided to do a fraud alert (even though I've bought from woot a dozen times on it and it was only $329) and my charge was declined by Woot. By the time I got through to the number in the email (on hold) and then got sent to security (on hold) the deal was sold out. Where is the Asus one selling for $440? I've seen it blue but really wanted the champagne.

dcinelli1

Hey, this one is $419.99 new at geeks.com

[MOD: REFURBISHED. And $17 shipping to me]

keng60

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keng60

Is this the new version with android 4.1? If not can it be updated?

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot
dcinelli1 wrote:And it's NEW, not refurb.

Here's the link http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=GT-N8013-EA32BRB-FB-R

But it's not new:
"Condition: Refurbished"

As for slow charging when using a USB source, that's typical of most tablets. A standard USB connection doesn't provide enough power -- just 2.5 to 10 watts.

Most tablets, especially the 10" ones, come with a proprietary charger that charges much faster. So you'll get much faster charging using that.

pawene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pawene
cage017 wrote:So the difference between a Galaxy Tab and a Galaxy Note is you can draw on it and that's it?

I figured with the touch screen capabilities of a tablet, you could draw on any of them.

The Note tablets are more comparable to a Wacom tablet than a normal tablet touch screen. It's much more accurate for writing.

jomion

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jomion
dcinelli1 wrote:Hey, this one is $419.99 new at geeks.com

Incorrect. It is refurbished too.

I need more...

claynpotter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages claynpotter

I bought mine at Amazon when it first came out for $550 (32Gb memory). Love this tablet for note taking and photo editing (Photoshop touch).

Around January 10, it went auto update and I'm now on Jelly Bean (4.1).

No issue playing full 1080p movies (although screen res is not full 1080p).

It may be a bit pricy if you intend to use it for web browsing and watching movies, but this is great buy if you are note taker or want to edit photos in fly.

I bought Logitech bluetooth keyboard case from Woot.com and using the tablet as laptop. My Thinkpad tablet stays home now

keng60 wrote:Is this the new version with android 4.1? If not can it be updated?

davedoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davedoy
mybestuser1 wrote:Costco has it on sale and if you buy it here with foursquare 1YR warranty it is about the same price. I do believe Costco extends the manufacturers warranty on this item by a year but I am not shure.

The costco sku is the 16GB version

davedoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davedoy
cage017 wrote:So the difference between a Galaxy Tab and a Galaxy Note is you can draw on it and that's it?

the stylus included with this is pressure sensitive... you can vary a line from thin to thick. and the drawing tools in photoshop touch react to pressure.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
patrice2 wrote:A general note about Samsung manufacturer's warranty from an experience I just had earlier today. Be aware.

My Samsung Galaxy Player is 11 months old and after calling them about the (sealed, soldered-in) battery life going down to an unacceptable level, they said that if I sent it to their ONE AND ONLY point of repair in Texas it would receive a new battery. When I gave the customer service rep my model and serial numbers she commented that the numbers made it seem like it was not made-for-USA-market. But that device worldwide was built the same, so no matter.

Today I received the device back with a note that said nothing had been done to it because "Device worked." And then "Technician Advice: Return device to country it was manufactured for to receive repairs."

After 2 hours on the phone with Samsung, they told me that the Texas plant cannot repair anything not made for the US market, but they would try to figure out what country it was made for and get me the phone number for that repair plant--it seems like maybe it was meant for Mexico.

Pfft! My Square Trade extended warranty kicks in next month, or I'd be screwed. A refurb can't get that 3 year with accidental coverage, though. I bought it at Amazon.com, and no one shows the model's complete number, but even if you did have that and called Samsung with it, they don't always know what country it was meant to be sold in...no red flag went up when I registered the device, just when I tried to use the warranty.

[MOD: This has a 90-day Woot warranty]

Where'd you buy it? You got what is known as "grey market" goods, brought in from other countries. Nice to know who sold it to you and how much you thought your were saving.

This should not be a reason to complain about the service on legally imported products.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

And if you do find a superfantastical deal, please provide a link. Seems like there's more than usual today of "Here's the exact same thing new for less somewhere!", and once someone finds it, it's not the same and/or it's not new.

Here's how you do a link:
[ url]http://www.woot.com[ /url]

Just omit the spaces.

dcinelli1

Square Trade warranty on this one is $99.99. I think I'll pass.

[MOD: Through our link on the Features tab, SquareTrade is $68.99 for one year.]

patty30068

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patty30068
dcinelli1 wrote:Hey, this one is $419.99 new at geeks.com

It says refurbished.

Clicketyclam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Clicketyclam

The 16gb refurb Walmart one does not seem to mention whether it has GPS.

Do both 16 and 32gb come with GPS or just the 32gb version?

curmudge1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curmudge1

New, direct from Samsung, you can get these for $499 with full warranty, whatever that is (Samsung hides it)
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/GT-N8013EAVXAR

Does this not have a HDMI out connector?

gak0090

curmudge1 wrote:New, direct from Samsung, you can get these for $499 with full warranty, whatever that is (Samsung hides it)

This is what you need for HDMI out:

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Samsung-Genuine-Adapter-1080P/dp/B009VA07ZS

You also need to be connected to a power source when you use this adapter.

dcinelli1

curmudge1 wrote:New, direct from Samsung, you can get these for $499 with full warranty, whatever that is (Samsung hides it)

I just went to Samsung and it's $549, not $499.

ILGal

This is a cool feature that I was not aware of. However, after I create this event, (and the S Note is included in the event as a "Note"), I can't get it to redisplay the note. In other words, opening an event that was saved with an attached note does not appear to include that note. If you are still cruising this forum...any ideas how to make this function properly?

jomion wrote:
But, while you are taking notes you can jump to the menu and select "Create Event." This allows you to make an appointment or task with that very S-Note as an attachment, then jump right back to your original note without missing a beat. Nice!

dcinelli1

dcinelli1 wrote:Square Trade warranty on this one is $99.99. I think I'll pass.

[MOD: Through our link on the Features tab, SquareTrade is $68.99 for one year.]

The $99.99 one was for TWO years.

tlcamerica

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlcamerica

Is there any reason why Woot thinks this is a great buy when the same refurb units are on Ebay for $349 with free shipping? Give us some great buys Woot and quit joining the pack of just trying to sell us something we can get cheaper somewhere else.

rnikec

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rnikec

I've had my note 10.1 for about 3 months. It's already been paid back by scanning textbooks and placing them on my tablet and uploading them onto s-note. This thing is a freaking beast. I first bought it at best buy full price. Returned it and found a cheaper new one on craigslist for about 350 (technology is always changing.. i could care less about 2nd hand products).

As of right now, no other tablet can beat this device for a college student, post grad, high-school student, grad-student, child, parent, teacher, desk jockey, artist, musician, entrepreneur.. you get my drift.. Its functionality and performance are not the best, but above the standard. I never leave anywhere without. Wifi connects great on it as well.

Awesome for toilet time as well.

dcinelli1

tlcamerica wrote:Is there any reason why Woot thinks this is a great buy when the same refurb units are on Ebay for $349 with free shipping? Give us some great buys Woot and quit joining the pack of just trying to sell us something we can get cheaper somewhere else.

The ebay ones are all 16 gb, not 32.

chrisreid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisreid

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10-1-32GB/dp/B007M506WS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362499880&sr=8-2&keywords=galaxy+note+10.1

New at Amazon with 1yr warranty $499, this refurb with 1 yr sq trade is $20-$25 less, i would buy it new

suburbandriver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suburbandriver

Does anyone know if the handwritten notes can sync to something like Dropbox or Skydrive in a image file for import into OneNote notebooks?

I am looking to replace the process of scanning my handwritten notes and am not patient enough to wait for a Windows 8 tablet with a Wacom digitizer and 8+ hour battery.

theatomizer90

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theatomizer90

I love my note 10.1! It works great, Only con it takes like 3 or 4 hours to charge, Its hard to keep my hands off it that long! but the life on it is really good. i generally get 2-3 days off normal usage. Great tab! when i bought mine from here last time it was on woot it took me about 5-6 hours to get it fully updated. (i have slow internet)

keng60

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keng60

As far as refurb goes I have found most items like this are customer returns that can not be re-sold new.
Things like this are not worth fixing.

artmauck

quality posts: 1 Private Messages artmauck

Barnes & Noble... Isn't that that book seller that's gone out of business because its rival, Amazon (and it's Kindle) is SO MUCH BETTER?

ILGal

It can share in PDF, JPG, TXT or SNB (native "note" format) to virtually anywhere...including SkyDrive and Evernote (and Box, Dropbox, etc.)

suburbandriver wrote:Does anyone know if the handwritten notes can sync to something like Dropbox or Skydrive in a image file for import into OneNote notebooks?

I am looking to replace the process of scanning my handwritten notes and am not patient enough to wait for a Windows 8 tablet with a Wacom digitizer and 8+ hour battery.

bswiz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bswiz

For people that are buying/considering these, are you going for the SquareTrade warranty also? Or just taking your chances with the 90 day warranty?

I agree with some other comments that for a few bucks more (if you factor in extended warranty) new might be a better option. But $500 new sounds so much worse than $400!

Edit:
Regarding the note-taking abilities, I want to make sure I have it straight... it converts your handwriting into text and then you can save to PDF? What about other formats, like a file that Word can open & edit once sync'ed to a PC?

paulmd

quality posts: 5 Private Messages paulmd
joselujano wrote:This tablet is amazing for taking notes and multi-tasking. The S-pen is definitely the greatest feature though. Here are some sketches I've done on my galaxy note 10.1, just as an example of the precision and functionality of the S pen:
http://imgur.com/lzyXOyB
http://imgur.com/W5v8paE

Is the girl chopping off her own foot in the second picture? Why?

ILGal

The tablet ships with Polaris Office. You can open a word processing doc in this app and use the handwriting-to-text feature on the keyboard to handwrite into this PO document, which will do a pretty good job of converting your handwriting to text. You can then share this out to your PC and edit as usual in Word or other word processors. You can also open a PowerPoint presentation in PO, run it and use the Pen tool to write on the slides, saving the written annotations. You can also open any PDF in S Note and write on it, as well. I have done away with legal pads since getting this device last fall.

S Note, the note-taking app, can only share out in 4 formats - PDF, JPG, TXT, or SNB (the note extension).

bswiz wrote:

Edit:
Regarding the note-taking abilities, I want to make sure I have it straight... it converts your handwriting into text and then you can save to PDF? What about other formats, like a file that Word can open & edit once sync'ed to a PC?

scully459

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scully459

It looks like a cool device, but a refurbished one for only $50 off what you can buy a brand new one for with 1 year warranty, instead of the 90 day one for this...I would buy it new. Just my humble opinion, but what makes more sense?

crohr3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crohr3

Im itching to pull the trigger on this one, as I need a device that can take notes at work and in class, easily flip through long pdfs, and play a movie or two once in a while. After combing through some reviews, the only poor points I seem to come across are the lack of apps that make use of the S-Pen, and some apps that wont run side-by-side. Now, this is probably a yes, but anyone who has the device, will I be able to read PDFs side-by-side the note-taking software?