jayjay72


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayjay72
kcunha11 wrote:awesome tablet. have a 16GB in white and use it for everything. if you are a student, it pays for itself in no time at all. it is invaluable to me as a note taking device


I have a 16GB white one as well and put a 64GB microSD card in. I use it for all my work notes, watching tv shows during my train rides to and from work, and anything else really. I love being able to organize my notes so it's not all randomly spread out on a memo pad. I also use SNotes to plan any projects at home since it's so easy to detail out drawings and measurements then make a shopping list right there. I stream videos from my NAS at home via wifi as well. It seems to be able to handle 720p video just fine using 2.4GHz n. It supports 5GHz n but it's extremely picky and doesn't like my Linksys router. The front facing speakers are great so you can carry it with you and watch any TV shows as you do your chores.

aftab7000


quality posts: 5 Private Messages aftab7000

I use tablet PC (HP TC4400) for the stylus to mark PDF files using BlueBeam PDF program.

TC4400 is not that light/portable like galaxy note but you get better functionality, specially 500GB+ HDD space. 9 hrs usage with extra battery.

Besides you can use one-note, etc.

I want a galaxy note with couple of hundred of gigabytes of space as some PDF files, specially single text books alone, can be 250MB+ size.

Just my personal opinion.

ILGal


quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

Yes - you can open many programs in multiview - especially after the (free) update to Jelly Bean. I use EZPDF Reader for my PDF files and I can open side by side with S Note, Polaris Office, or the internet. You can also open the PDF files in S Note and write write on top of them, or insert blank pages in between, if you like.

crohr3 wrote:Im itching to pull the trigger on this one, as I need a device that can take notes at work and in class, easily flip through long pdfs, and play a movie or two once in a while. After combing through some reviews, the only poor points I seem to come across are the lack of apps that make use of the S-Pen, and some apps that wont run side-by-side. Now, this is probably a yes, but anyone who has the device, will I be able to read PDFs side-by-side the note-taking software?



jayjay72


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayjay72
ILGal wrote:I use EZPDF Reader for my PDF files and I can open side by side with S Note, Polaris Office, or the internet.


This is correct but with the Note 10.1 you can use "and" instead of "or" since you can open all those things and use them all at once if you so chose. With the 4.1 update we're able to have numerous floating windows now not just side by side. You can also position and resize all of them and keep any on top if you wanted to. This is especially useful if you're writing something and need a calculator quickly but don't want to switch out of the current window since you need to reference some numbers from it.

ILGal


quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

Yes! I can't believe how useful that pop-up calculator is.

jayjay72 wrote:This is correct but with the Note 10.1 you can use "and" instead of "or" since you can open all those things and use them all at once if you so chose. With the 4.1 update we're able to have numerous floating windows now not just side by side. You can also position and resize all of them and keep any on top if you wanted to. This is especially useful if you're writing something and need a calculator quickly but don't want to switch out of the current window since you need to reference some numbers from it.



morriea


quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
aftab7000 wrote:I use tablet PC (HP TC4400) for the stylus to mark PDF files using BlueBeam PDF program.



I want a galaxy note with couple of hundred of gigabytes of space as some PDF files, specially single text books alone, can be 250MB+ size.

Just my personal opinion.



Just use a microSD card to store your files (They are small enough to carry as many as you like). It makes little sense to use the tablet storage for documents, music, pictures, etc.

Audioman1


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Audioman1

How well do these work for photography? I would like to view my photo's on the road. My camera has a SD card.

JussaIrish


quality posts: 1 Private Messages JussaIrish
aftab7000 wrote:
TC4400 is not that light/portable like galaxy note but you get better functionality, specially 500GB+ HDD space. 9 hrs usage with extra battery.



If you actually need over 70 gigs of space on a mobile device, you should have been using cloud storage a long time ago. Even a SOHO NAS would make your life better.


ILGal


quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

I have a USB dongle that I can use with a card reader and the built-in file browser. More typically, I'll get my photos up to my flickr account and use an app, FlickFolio, to view them so they are not stored on the device.

Samsung makes a dedicated card reader, but I chose the standard USB because I can then either connect to a flash drive, or to a small card reader. More flexibility. Also, the dongle I have is from my old Galaxy Tab, and it fits and works just fine.

Audioman1 wrote:How well do these work for photography? I would like to view my photo's on the road. My camera has a SD card.



RPaulG87


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RPaulG87

Ok, it's been 5 months, and yet my Note 2 phone is still the most powerful thing Samsung makes, and it's a PHONE, vs these huge Tablets? Why do none of these have 2GB of ram like the Note 2? I easily use 1.4 on Jellybean constantly!

ILGal


quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

This does have 2 GB of RAM.

RPaulG87 wrote:Ok, it's been 5 months, and yet my Note 2 phone is still the most powerful thing Samsung makes, and it's a PHONE, vs these huge Tablets? Why do none of these have 2GB of ram like the Note 2? I easily use 1.4 on Jellybean constantly!



waacodemon


quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon

How does this compare to the newest ipad?

I once ate a cricket.

cmuntz


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cmuntz
mikeymac wrote:FLASH is dead, man. Haven't you heard? LOL!




Although since jelly bean, android no longer has flash. You can however download an archived version that works perfectly! Just go the adobe.com and go to archived versions. Go down to android & choose 11.1.115.36.
Problem solved!

scotttampa


quality posts: 5 Private Messages scotttampa
waacodemon wrote:How does this compare to the newest ipad?



10x better

wingnutzero


quality posts: 2 Private Messages wingnutzero
rnikec wrote:
Awesome for toilet time as well.



That's all I need to know. Sold!

dmako


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmako

Isn't this model going for $499 new?
So $410 + $5 shipping + 1 year warranty $70 is close to new price.

group4


quality posts: 0 Private Messages group4

What does refurbished mean? Who refurbished it? Did they come from the manufacturer or a third party?

zelda26


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zelda26

Very close to pulling the trigger on this. What's the best option for a USB port cradle to plug in a portable keyboard? Don't want to use bluetooth as I'll need to use that to tether at times.

nanaejt


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
dmako wrote:Isn't this model going for $499 new?
So $410 + $5 shipping + 1 year warranty $70 is close to new price.



Yup,I agree

dustofsnow


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dustofsnow

I rarely post. I do have to say though that this is the best device I have ever bought and in less than a week. You do have to do a few things though: root it (search on xda). Install the Write(free) or Quill(99cents). They are both the best notebook apps. But I think Write is better. Finally, get Repligo PDF reader for smooth annotation and PDF reading.

My only complaint is the dearth of accessories like cases and keyboards that are of any quality. Other than that, this tablet is best hands down if you want to get anything done. Its the closest thing I've used to electronic paper.

peppera


quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppera

I've got a Nook. But when I downloaded a Rocket Hindi online language course it would not display the Hindi script. Will this Galaxy have a similar problem?

dustofsnow


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dustofsnow
crohr3 wrote:Im itching to pull the trigger on this one, as I need a device that can take notes at work and in class, easily flip through long pdfs, and play a movie or two once in a while. After combing through some reviews, the only poor points I seem to come across are the lack of apps that make use of the S-Pen, and some apps that wont run side-by-side. Now, this is probably a yes, but anyone who has the device, will I be able to read PDFs side-by-side the note-taking software?



Repligo Reader for taking notes side by side. Smoother writing and reading. I use it to take notes during every lecture I've been at for the past week and it is awesome.

Sokudoningyou


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Sokudoningyou
blonig wrote:You need to change the settings. Under s-pen, un-check the box for battery saving and it will recognize the different pen without removing the supplied one.



Nope. That's so it recognizes a different pen, period: with the pen in, and that checked, the Bamboo still isn't recognized. Unless it's because it for some reason doesn't like the TW rom I have on it, that trick doesn't work.

blonig


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blonig
Sokudoningyou wrote:Nope. That's so it recognizes a different pen, period: with the pen in, and that checked, the Bamboo still isn't recognized. Unless it's because it for some reason doesn't like the TW rom I have on it, that trick doesn't work.



I have this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WAPM78/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I rarely take the included s-pen out of the dock and it recognizes it fine. You may have mistyped, but you need to UNcheck the box. It recognizes the different stylus whether the box is checked or not, but only when the box is unchecked does it recognize it with the included one in the dock.

Sokudoningyou


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Sokudoningyou
blonig wrote:I have this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WAPM78/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I rarely take the included s-pen out of the dock and it recognizes it fine. You may have mistyped, but you need to UNcheck the box. It recognizes the different stylus whether the box is checked or not, but only when the box is unchecked does it recognize it with the included one in the dock.



Oh good grief, you're right. I thought it was supposed to be checked for that. *headdesk* Don't mind me.

I use Lecture Notes on mine, which I like, though I'm still getting used to writing on something different than a notebook. It's also nice because it has a separate plugin that can also record the lecture. I agree, the accessories are a little slim, but I found this multi-view cover on Amazon that I like. Only negative is no latch to keep the cover closed; otherwise all the ports are uncovered. Much better than the RooCase I had before.

Also, again: Best Buy has this one new for $499, if you don't like refurbished.

rlapid2112


quality posts: 9 Private Messages rlapid2112
joselujano wrote:This tablet is amazing for taking notes and multi-tasking. The S-pen is definitely the greatest feature though. Here are some sketches I've done on my galaxy note 10.1, just as an example of the precision and functionality of the S pen:
http://imgur.com/lzyXOyB
http://imgur.com/W5v8paE



Impressive

zyodei


quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyodei

This is the only tablet I would consider (other than Nexus 7 or some dirt cheap chinese stuff). Just the pen looks SO COOL, and is a joy to use. So much fun to be able to draw on it. If I had a bit more scratch, I would be all over this.

jomion


quality posts: 9 Private Messages jomion
ILGal wrote:This is a cool feature that I was not aware of. However, after I create this event, (and the S Note is included in the event as a "Note"), I can't get it to redisplay the note. In other words, opening an event that was saved with an attached note does not appear to include that note. If you are still cruising this forum...any ideas how to make this function properly?



Do NOT open up the event or task for editing. Just click once on the event or task from the S-Planner to preview it, then scroll down to where the attached S-Note s and click on it there. It should open up for viewing/editing.


I need more...

ILGal


quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

It never shows up. When I tap the note, all I get is a small window where I can see the date/time/name, any reminders the "show me as" and "privacy" settings. If I don't tap it at all, in any view (month, day, list) I just see the title of the event.

I need to play around with this more; obviously I'm missing something basic.

jomion wrote:Do NOT open up the event or task for editing. Just click once on the event or task from the S-Planner to preview it, then scroll down to where the attached S-Note s and click on it there. It should open up for viewing/editing.



djanis


quality posts: 4 Private Messages djanis

Really close to doing it, but I think I have to pass. This seems like a great unit, but the deal is just so-so. Congrats to all who got one!

mangamonster


quality posts: 7 Private Messages mangamonster

Does anyone know if single touch can be disabled while using the S Pen? I can do it when using Layers. Would be nice for S Pen...I hate when I'm using the Note to take notes in meetings and my fat palm does some stupid crap while writing.

Gamrz Podcast Show

ILGal


quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

The S Note app has pretty good palm rejection. I lay my hand right on the tablet and it never affects what I am writing on. Different apps may behave differently.

mangamonster wrote:Does anyone know if single touch can be disabled while using the S Pen? I can do it when using Layers. Would be nice for S Pen...I hate when I'm using the Note to take notes in meetings and my fat palm does some stupid crap while writing.



wham


quality posts: 1 Private Messages wham

1280 x 800 is not full HD. No HDMI out. For that much money, I'll wait.

Pasukun


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pasukun
mangamonster wrote:Does anyone know if single touch can be disabled while using the S Pen? I can do it when using Layers. Would be nice for S Pen...I hate when I'm using the Note to take notes in meetings and my fat palm does some stupid crap while writing.



What you need is Lecture Notes app from Google Play.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acadoid.lecturenotes

With it, you can jog note down much quicker, in multi-layers and while you can rest your bare palm/hand on the screen while you take notes with S-Pen. So you do not have to hold your S-Pen awkwardly, like you are waving magic wand in the air. (hint: my avatar)

And if you jog notes, draw geometric shapes & pics a lot like I do, I recommend that you get something little better than included S-Pen.

I got myself this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S-Pen-Stylus-Holder/dp/B0076Z3GMG

Don't get me wrong. Included S-Pen is very handy when you need it, but I wouldn't use it for hours at a time. Your hand will sore.

keng60


quality posts: 0 Private Messages keng60

Shipped!!!! Two day FedEx for 5
bucks not bad

Question for the Staff. Is the case that came with it Faux Leather or the real cows hide?

Ken G

jcolesby


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcolesby

Have these shipped yet?

While I LOVE Woot, the shipping and accurate expectation of items being shipped is so inconsistent.

Just anxious I guess.

keng60


quality posts: 0 Private Messages keng60
jcolesby wrote:Have these shipped yet?

While I LOVE Woot, the shipping and accurate expectation of items being shipped is so inconsistent.

Just anxious I guess.



Have you checked your status for the item under stuff you bought?
Mine shipped The 6th and I got it today the 8th Perfect like new condition. Downloading and installing software updates now.

Ken

keng60


quality posts: 0 Private Messages keng60

What the Frak?

I tried to play Netflix and it said this was not available for my country. Tried to download other things from google play and same thing.

Whats up?

ROGETRAY


quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

keng60 wrote:What the Frak?

I tried to play Netflix and it said this was not available for my country. Tried to download other things from google play and same thing.

Whats up?



Sorry for the late reply and to hear that you're experiencing issues with your purchase.
I recommend that you contact Samsung Support to see if they can help remedy the issue.

If you are unable to resolve the problem, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know what's going on.

keng60


quality posts: 0 Private Messages keng60
ROGETRAY wrote:Sorry for the late reply and to hear that you're experiencing issues with your purchase.
I recommend that you contact Samsung Support to see if they can help remedy the issue.

If you are unable to resolve the problem, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know what's going on.



Thanks Will do that. Says refurbished in USA. anybody else having this issue with Google play?