WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Jorg Gray Men's Watches

WATCHES! So many watches for sale! Can you count them all? There are a lot. If you can't, that's okay, but I hope you at least know how to count to twelve, because if you don't, it's going to be very difficult to use these watches. If you can count to twelve, though, we've got quite the reward for you: the reward of knowing the time. Yay!

mjkane1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mjkane1

Just in case anyone was actually wondering which one the POTUS wears...6500 series

Not sure why he doesen't wear something all american and REALLY nice, like an RGM? Oh well, these watches do seem like a decent value and I definitely like them better than Invicta....

...Did I just buy that?

heccubus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heccubus

The American flag styles look a lot like the Tag Heuer Monoco models that are Steve McQueen branded. Very excited to get that style for a reasonable price.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid

Am I paying for quality or name brand for this one? I am unfamiliar and new to watches.

Suck it, Trebek.

kakomu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kakomu
mjkane1 wrote:
Not sure why he doesen't wear something all american and REALLY nice, like an RGM? Oh well, these watches do seem like a decent value and I definitely like them better than Invicta....

Bill Clinton was a fan of Timex Ironman watches. I wouldn't consider those watches "nice" as far as fanciness or luxuriousness is considered, but they keep time and are great for jogging.

I supposed if the only reason to wear a watch is to show off bling, I would question this choice, but otherwise, if it looks nice, keeps good time and doesn't fall apart, no harm no foul.

jestyjt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jestyjt

I think these are good quality and good value. definitely great price compared to other sites.

honeybadger12

quality posts: 7 Private Messages honeybadger12
kakomu wrote:Bill Clinton was a fan of Timex Ironman watches. I wouldn't consider those watches "nice" as far as fanciness or luxuriousness is considered, but they keep time and are great for jogging.

I supposed if the only reason to wear a watch is to show off bling, I would question this choice, but otherwise, if it looks nice, keeps good time and doesn't fall apart, no harm no foul.

Timex Ironman / Expedition all the way. I don't suppose too many females are going to be judging me by what kind of watch I wear. And if they are, they aren't worth the time anyway (no pun intended).

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

The pictures of the back of the JG5200-12 look wrong (definitely). They show a round case with an automatic movement, but the specs say Japanese quartz movement. Any clarification or correct pictures of that one?

EDIT - Nevermind; I assume it's the same back as the 5200-14 and 5200-15!

crada0066

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crada0066
heccubus wrote:The American flag styles look a lot like the Tag Heuer Monoco models that are Steve McQueen branded. Very excited to get that style for a reasonable price.

Absolutely.

The color on the blue version is just a little too off for my liking.

Well that, and the two Redlines I bought a few weeks ago.

mjkane1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mjkane1
kakomu wrote:Bill Clinton was a fan of Timex Ironman watches. I wouldn't consider those watches "nice" as far as fanciness or luxuriousness is considered, but they keep time and are great for jogging.

True...I was not meaning the President has to wear "Bling", I meant it from a standpoint where I am sure any watch manufacturer on the PLANET would be happy to send a few watches to the leader of the free world at no cost, it just seems a surprising choice to me...but these look very nice.

...Did I just buy that?

supraman320

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supraman320
mjkane1 wrote:True...I was not meaning the President has to wear "Bling", I meant it from a standpoint where I am sure any watch manufacturer on the PLANET would be happy to send a few watches to the leader of the free world at no cost, it just seems a surprising choice to me...but these look very nice.

As I understand it, it was a gift from his bodyguards.

balisane

quality posts: 16 Private Messages balisane

I wish these came in women's sizes; the brown/bronze ones are really nice, and women's watches can be so glittery and painfully twee.

YOU SUCH A JOLLY MR. SNOWMAN
DANCE

jnjackson13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnjackson13
supraman320 wrote:As I understand it, it was a gift from his bodyguards.

This is correct - it was a gift from his secret service detail. It's a model made exclusively for the secret service, which can't be purchased by non-secret service people. He wore a Tissot before they gave him that, I think.

Also, these will have the same guts as the president's watch, probably. I don't think this company makes mechanicals, but Myota is a widely used movement. Very few high end watch companies use an in-house movement. Quartz Myota's have a good reputation for time keeping.

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino

I have small wrists and prefer watches with a bit of a smaller face... anyone know how the sizing on these are?

shadowknight125

quality posts: 7 Private Messages shadowknight125
jnjackson13 wrote:This is correct - it was a gift from his secret service detail. It's a model made exclusively for the secret service, which can't be purchased by non-secret service people. He wore a Tissot before they gave him that, I think.

Also, these will have the same guts as the president's watch, probably. I don't think this company makes mechanicals, but Myota is a widely used movement. Very few high end watch companies use an in-house movement. Quartz Myota's have a good reputation for time keeping.

It sounds like the only real difference between the one you can purchase and the President's is that his has a unique seal on the face and and inscription on the back. Whereas the civilian version just has the company logo.

http://barackswatch.com/the-watch/

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid
shadowknight125 wrote:It sounds like the only real difference between the one you can purchase and the President's is that his has a unique seal on the face and and inscription on the back. Whereas the civilian version just has the company logo.

http://barackswatch.com/the-watch/

The president is a civilian.

A super civilian!!! QUEUE MUSIC! !!!!!!!!!!oneoneone

Suck it, Trebek.

arrScott

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arrScott

I have the black/blue chrono listed here (it was given as a gift). For the price charged here, it's a fair value. Keeps good time. But some fair-warning caveats:

It's not so much that it's bigger than other watches these days, but the proportions just feel kludgier than most. The minute and hour hands are wide enough that they always feel imprecise, especially the minute hand. And the silicone strap is insane! Very thick. I haven't gotten around to replacing it with something that feels less like the strap of a house-arrest ankle-bracelet, but I plan to at some point.

From what I recall from the 2008 campaign, Jorg Gray had previously only made watches to be branded by third parties, such as corporate giveaways or the Secret Service employee shop and the like. It was at about the time that interest in Obama's watch was spiking that Jorg Gray began selling under its own name. To date, most of their models look an awful lot like particular high-end models.

Still, the timekeeping has been good on mine, and though the chrono only measures seconds (no tenths indicator), that's good enough for much of what I use a chrono for, or at least in the kitchen.

drood0311

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drood0311
arrScott wrote:I have the black/blue chrono listed here (it was given as a gift). For the price charged here, it's a fair value. Keeps good time. But some fair-warning caveats:

It's not so much that it's bigger than other watches these days, but the proportions just feel kludgier than most. The minute and hour hands are wide enough that they always feel imprecise, especially the minute hand. And the silicone strap is insane! Very thick. I haven't gotten around to replacing it with something that feels less like the strap of a house-arrest ankle-bracelet, but I plan to at some point.

From what I recall from the 2008 campaign, Jorg Gray had previously only made watches to be branded by third parties, such as corporate giveaways or the Secret Service employee shop and the like. It was at about the time that interest in Obama's watch was spiking that Jorg Gray began selling under its own name. To date, most of their models look an awful lot like particular high-end models.

Still, the timekeeping has been good on mine, and though the chrono only measures seconds (no tenths indicator), that's good enough for much of what I use a chrono for, or at least in the kitchen.

Since you own one, are these battery powered or wind-up? I see no mention of battery type.

arrScott

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arrScott
drood0311 wrote:Since you own one, are these battery powered or wind-up? I see no mention of battery type.

Battery.

bro3of4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bro3of4
drood0311 wrote:Since you own one, are these battery powered or wind-up? I see no mention of battery type.

in the specs:
Quartz movement = battery
Automatic movement = wind up (or motion of arm)

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

jferry2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jferry2

Curse you woot! Now I want the Obama watch despite being a proud Republican. What are you people trying to do to me??

Hattrix22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hattrix22

Are these another "Invictus" type watch with a stupidly high MSRP and $45 quality?

UncleStu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages UncleStu
jferry2 wrote:Curse you woot! Now I want the Obama watch despite being a proud Republican. What are you people trying to do to me??

Resistance is futile.

UncleStu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages UncleStu

"it's bigger than other watches"

I just got mine, and it is BIG and THICK and a bit too heavy. I guess I know what 45mm means now - too big for me.

But it looks good, and I'm confident that it will work fine.

My only complaint is that there aren't enough holes in the band for my normal sized wrist. One more would be nice.

zxinfinity

quality posts: 18 Private Messages zxinfinity

I've been using my Jorg Gray JG7300-13 Men's Black & Silver Dial Black Genuine Leather Watch for a few days now. It is one of the few automatic watches offered in this deal.

I first noticed that my motion wasn't enough to get it started for the first hour or so I was wearing it. I decided that I would manually wind it to get it started. I turned the dial to wind it for about 10 straight seconds. It started up immediately. I set the time and went to work.

Within a few hours I noticed that the watch had already stopped. Big disappointment already. I decided to try winding it even longer (maybe twenty or so seconds). By the time I got home from work, it was still working, but come the next day, the watch was stopped. I wound the watch for about 30-40 seconds and it surprised me by lasting the whole day. I got home and took the watch off around 7:30 pm.

The next morning (today), I was happy to see that it had survived the night. A couple of hours later, I look at the watch and see that once again it stopped. Too bad, I really wanted to like this watch, it looks real nice and fits my wrist size perfectly. Hopefully Woot will take this back.