WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Sights and Scopes

As Sun-Tzu probably never said, "To hit the target, one must see the target." As Sun-Tzu definitely never said, "Paying less for a sight or scope leaves more money for pellets, bullets, arrows, bolts, or whatever."

Quality Posts

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

will any of the laser dot scopes work with my mossberg shotgun?

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

erwos

quality posts: 2 Private Messages erwos
luke975 wrote:will any of the laser dot scopes work with my mossberg shotgun?

Not unless you've got a picatinny rail on the fore-end.

I'd also be moderately surprised if these could really hold up to 12ga recoil. Firefield is mostly cheap imported optics, which don't have much of a general reputation for durability.

GMilberger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GMilberger

Caliber ratings would be definitely be useful information.

ksguy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ksguy

You'll need something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Optics-USA-Shotgun-Mossberg/dp/B001UK5AXG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362671492&sr=8-3&keywords=mossberg+saddle. I wouldn't bet that any of these would withstand 12 gauge recoil though.

Coding with the fury of 7.89e-25 suns.

PhilCarr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages PhilCarr

I've purchased low-end optics before. Please understand that you get what you pay for (for what you pay?). Anyway, cheap optics are fragile and their lasers and dots are dim to invisible in bright environments.

babystewie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages babystewie

Darn, I was hoping for more Pride Fowler stuff.

warpirate

quality posts: 1 Private Messages warpirate

For $30 Nothing makes your zombie shotgun look cooler to your buddies than a Reflex site. The Cool to $$$ Ratio is way high.

warpirate

quality posts: 1 Private Messages warpirate
warpirate wrote:For $30 Nothing makes your zombie shotgun look cooler to your buddies than a Reflex site. The Cool to $$$ Ratio is way high.

larabic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages larabic

Wow, never knew woot did gun related items! Not this time but next time around i am all over a few of these, cheap enough to at least give a try to, have to check out reviews.

ComputerGeekAZ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ComputerGeekAZ

I'm in for too many! I ordered 4 things on this page!

Woots=67, Items=unknown, Woot-Offs=12

..::||Score||::..
WOOTS:67 SHIRTS:9 WINE:0

chadncrys

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chadncrys

No buyer's remorse intended but one thing to just check out before buying is your states hunting laws. Here in ID it's illegal to hunt with green or red crosshairs. But target shooting you're good to go with color.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

That's because RED + GREEN = Christmas and cross + hares = Easter so

Christmas + Easter = Jesus

and it's illegal to hunt Jesus.

I'm sure the goobermint logic went just like that, given the goobermint we have these days. :-/ ????

I notice that The Mothership has this for the same price http://www.amazon.com/Firefield-Tactical-12-40-Riflescope/dp/B004QAIUAC, albeit higher shipping. But, seriously, where are the DEALS?

Oh, and BARREL MOUNT laser? What Chumly came up with that idea? You want your barrel free floating, not weighted down with some aftermarket piece of junk. I was almost interested in what looked like a scope mounted laser, but not barrel mount.

Bad woot! Bad woot! Go to your doghouse for the day, and come up with some good stuff for us tomorrow.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik

Actually, the $15 barrel-mounted laser sight should work, at least once. As has been mentioned, any of these may not stand up to the recoil for long, and all of the other options require rails (including both of the red-dot sights).

Keep in mind that lasers, red-dot sights (& green-dot), and scopes are all functionally different types of sights. Red-dot sights do not project a laser, they function similarly to a scope but use a single lighted dot in place of the traditional crosshair reticle. A reflex sight is the same, but allows keeping both eyes open.

Agreeing with warpirate, the value there is in coolness for cheap. Not for anything serious.

erwos

babystewie wrote:Darn, I was hoping for more Pride Fowler stuff.

Me, too. I've been VERY happy with the SOPS and Action-4 sights I got off Woot.

wsmiddel

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wsmiddel
chadncrys wrote: Here in ID it's illegal to hunt with green or red crosshairs.

Hopefully your shooting is more accurate than your legal advice.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/docs/rules/bgInfo.pdf

Big Game Rules 76 Weapon Restrictions Rifle and Shotgun

In any hunt, including any-weapon seasons, it is unlawful to pursue or kill big game animals:
• With any electronic device attached to, or incorporated on, the firearm or scope; except scopes containing battery powered or tritium lighted reticles are allowed.

IAALBIANYLAIANALII

axemurderer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages axemurderer
GMilberger wrote:Caliber ratings would be definitely be useful information.

these are garbage and will be garbage on anything they're mounted to, regardless of caliber.

mdnorman

quality posts: 52 Private Messages mdnorman

I don't understand why anyone would need/want a laser sight on a shotgun.

mdnorman

quality posts: 52 Private Messages mdnorman

Windage & elevation adjustable...

Up to 300 yards visibility at night...

For a pistol?!

Gimme a break... That's just goofy.

ozzallos

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ozzallos
mdnorman wrote:I don't understand why anyone would need/want a laser sight on a shotgun.

Windage & elevation adjustable...Up to 300 yards visibility at night...

For a pistol?!

Gimme a break... That's just goofy.

I had pistol grip mossberg for the home this would have been perfect for, especially when aiming from the hip at night.

Likewise the pistol laser...gotta have windage and elevation if you kinda want to use it to aim by, though stating its 300 yards range is likely a reference to its illumination ability, not your ability to place shots at that range with a hand caliber pistol.

In for one of the latter, I think.

tjhoulihan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjhoulihan
ozzallos wrote:I had pistol grip mossberg for the home this would have been perfect for, especially when aiming from the hip at night.

If you are holding a mossberg and have taken the time to confirm the target as hostile, you are wasting precious time confirming that your laser sight is on center. Its a freakin shotgun... not a pistol. Take the shot and pump.

luke975

warpirate wrote:

lol that's my shotgun, but no pistol grips. I'd be afraid of breaking my wrist.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

axemurderer

tjhoulihan wrote:If you are holding a mossberg and have taken the time to confirm the target as hostile, you are wasting precious time confirming that your laser sight is on center. Its a freakin shotgun... not a pistol. Take the shot and pump.

contrary to what hollywood would have you believe, you DO still have to aim shotguns.

they DON'T have super large spreads that enable blind Huckleberry Hounds to hit their targets. and why would they - that's a terrible idea, as collateral damage would be ridiculous.

even at 100 yards, buckshot spread will typically only be about a foot... often less.

luke975

axemurderer wrote:contrary to what hollywood would have you believe, you DO still have to aim shotguns.

they DON'T have super large spreads that enable blind Huckleberry Hounds to hit their targets. and why would they - that's a terrible idea, as collateral damage would be ridiculous.

even at 100 yards, buckshot spread will typically only be about a foot... often less.

I use slugs in mine. so I don't get a spread at all.

kyle2ooo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kyle2ooo

In for a few different ones. The reflex will look good on the M4 pellet gun that I bought here in January!

nameless1

quality posts: 5 Private Messages nameless1

Can somebody explain the 1-6x24mm scope to me? The objective lens is 24mm (not a typo since I can see it printed in the scope picture). The tube is 30mm, and the eyepiece is 36.5mm. However, looking at the picture, it appears that the objective is larger in diameter than the tube and eyepiece. Is it just a tiny lens hiding in a big shroud?

z06rono

quality posts: 0 Private Messages z06rono
ozzallos wrote:I had pistol grip mossberg for the home this would have been perfect for, especially when aiming from the hip at night.

Likewise the pistol laser...gotta have windage and elevation if you kinda want to use it to aim by, though stating its 300 yards range is likely a reference to its illumination ability, not your ability to place shots at that range with a hand caliber pistol.

In for one of the latter, I think.

If your "aiming" from the hip, you are missing. Bring the weapon to your eye level, point and shoot. For a shotgun in a home defense situation, a bead sight is fine, at 20 yards or less, it really is point and shoot. If your shooting clays, most folks will argue that either a front bead or an open sight are best, a scope just slows down your target acquisition. Since the accuracy of a smooth bore shotgun falls off quickly, a scope of any kind is really a waste, and a laser may mean the muzzle is pointed at the target, (if properly boresighted) but even at 50 yards your slug or shot might be many inches off the laser. And really, if your shooting at anything at 100 yards or more, go to a rifle. I have a Mossie 590A1 and all it has is a super bright flashlight and the stock front bead. The flashlight has a big, fat on off button that sits right under my thumb when I am gripping the shotgun, so it works perfect. At the sound of the pump I would expect anyone in the house to be rapidly exiting anyway, but the light will frame them if the need arises.

nleksan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nleksan

It is quite frustrating the way Hollywood has turned "shotgun" into "10-foot-diameter-cloud-of-lead-cannon"... I mean, sure, if you're using a <14"-barrel, cylinder bore, smooth-bore shotgun firing #12 Birdshot then yeah, you'll get some WICKED spread AND you might even slightly agitate the intended target standing 10 feet in front of you...
But if you do it right, load up some #4 Buck (00 Buck is overrated; good at longer range, bad for defensive use), preferably in 3 1/2" Magnum shells if your scattergun will feed/cycle them, and you have a devastatingly powerful weapon.
Same thing goes for Slugs, especially rifled or Sabot slugs which are more accurate/more stable/higher velocity than your traditional "big hunk of lead" slug. When I first got my Benelli M3 Super 90 (my first one), prior to shortening the barrel to 14", I was outside putting dozens upon dozens of random shot down range in semi-auto (too much fun; almost as much fun as an AA-12). I was digging through my countless boxes of shells to reload when I found a stash of 3.5" .58cal Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot Slugs... Took aim and fired at a 6"x6" fence post about 75yds away, and... blew the dang thing in half! It just splintered and collapsed!

I have seen shotguns do some seriously nasty damage to enemy combatants, especially when loaded with a high-spread load at very close range. Trust me when I say that you don't want to be right on the other side of a door when a Force Recon operator puts a Mossberg up against the lock and fires... That next breaching round is coming at you, and it doesn't matter if you're wearing Kevlar footies... You're turning to soup.

The problem with the "big boy rounds", though, is that they over-penetrate like crazy. If you don't believe me, go shoot a few rounds of 00-Buck down a hallway in your house, and see how many sheets of drywall the shot passes through before they stop....

Not something you want to have happening at night with your family at home!

gurdonark

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gurdonark

It's the way these things work, but it is frustrating to wake up at 6 a.m., get for the first time an e-mail about spotting scopes, see a neat little spotting scope, and then see it's sold out sometime in the pre-dawn. It would be great to see a real spotting scope sale with lots of different products at lots of different prices, and fewer gun scopes. I tend to use scopes to bird rather than to shoot.

erwos

nameless1 wrote:Can somebody explain the 1-6x24mm scope to me? The objective lens is 24mm (not a typo since I can see it printed in the scope picture). The tube is 30mm, and the eyepiece is 36.5mm. However, looking at the picture, it appears that the objective is larger in diameter than the tube and eyepiece. Is it just a tiny lens hiding in a big shroud?

The Sightmark 1-6x got poor reviews compared to the Firefield 1-6x, which is at a comparable price. I wouldn't buy it.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid

Save your money for an Aimpoint!

Suck it, Trebek.

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln
babystewie wrote:Darn, I was hoping for more Pride Fowler stuff.

Me three. Especially getting the action-4 again and the 800 or longer range scopes back. And getting some of their mounts, like the PFI-QRR, PFI-PQR, maybe even their ballistic dial.

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln
gurdonark wrote:It's the way these things work, but it is frustrating to wake up at 6 a.m., get for the first time an e-mail about spotting scopes, see a neat little spotting scope, and then see it's sold out sometime in the pre-dawn. It would be great to see a real spotting scope sale with lots of different products at lots of different prices, and fewer gun scopes. I tend to use scopes to bird rather than to shoot.

Little fyi...

Woot plus stuff usually switches over (expires, new listings) weekdays 10am eastern (9am central, what woot uses), especially heavy on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Sometimes they do 11am or noon, I forget, but that seems to be getting less and less the case.

If you're reading some daily email the next day, the sale's been on for around 20 hours already.

houstonmat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages houstonmat
wsmiddel wrote:IAALBIANYLAIANALII

Made this whole post worth reading.

Manos, the Hands of Fate frak damn carp respiffied llo

rjsdad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rjsdad
charliecarroll wrote:WOOT is not run by a bunch of "lib-tards" that circle the wagons around laws and programs that have proven for years they don't work. For some examples, NYC, Wash.DC, Chicago, etc. So as these items are at least currently legal in most areas of the USA, Woot steps up to the plate, does not shy away from i-d-i-o-t-s, and offers these items.
Thank you Woot! Good for you!

Of course - that's why they don't ship perfectly legal knives to anywhere in NY (except 3 zip codes - two of which border NYC) because of the alleged NYC laws (which relate to carrying, not possession)

I'm glad woot embraces a lot of the hunting, sportsman, and even sometimes self-defense culture.

But I would not call it "stepping up to the plate" by any means.

ozzallos

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ozzallos
It is quite frustrating the way Hollywood has turned "shotgun" into "10-foot-diameter-cloud-of-lead-cannon"

This. And I'm not going to put a pistol grip shotty up to my face to aim it, thanks

DaLemming

quality posts: 7 Private Messages DaLemming
ozzallos wrote:This. And I'm not going to put a pistol grip shotty up to my face to aim it, thanks

But Biden said nothing about aiming before shooting off the balcony or through the door. If not aiming is good enough for the VEEP...

axemurderer

nleksan wrote:It is quite frustrating the way Hollywood has turned "shotgun" into "10-foot-diameter-cloud-of-lead-cannon"... I mean, sure, if you're using a <14"-barrel, cylinder bore, smooth-bore shotgun firing #12 Birdshot then yeah, you'll get some WICKED spread AND you might even slightly agitate the intended target standing 10 feet in front of you...
But if you do it right, load up some #4 Buck (00 Buck is overrated; good at longer range, bad for defensive use), preferably in 3 1/2" Magnum shells if your scattergun will feed/cycle them, and you have a devastatingly powerful weapon.
Same thing goes for Slugs, especially rifled or Sabot slugs which are more accurate/more stable/higher velocity than your traditional "big hunk of lead" slug. When I first got my Benelli M3 Super 90 (my first one), prior to shortening the barrel to 14", I was outside putting dozens upon dozens of random shot down range in semi-auto (too much fun; almost as much fun as an AA-12). I was digging through my countless boxes of shells to reload when I found a stash of 3.5" .58cal Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot Slugs... Took aim and fired at a 6"x6" fence post about 75yds away, and... blew the dang thing in half! It just splintered and collapsed!

I have seen shotguns do some seriously nasty damage to enemy combatants, especially when loaded with a high-spread load at very close range. Trust me when I say that you don't want to be right on the other side of a door when a Force Recon operator puts a Mossberg up against the lock and fires... That next breaching round is coming at you, and it doesn't matter if you're wearing Kevlar footies... You're turning to soup.

The problem with the "big boy rounds", though, is that they over-penetrate like crazy. If you don't believe me, go shoot a few rounds of 00-Buck down a hallway in your house, and see how many sheets of drywall the shot passes through before they stop....

Not something you want to have happening at night with your family at home!

...breaching rounds are just lead powder. they won't 'turn anyone into soup' unless the barrel's literally pressed up against them.

axemurderer

z06rono wrote:If your "aiming" from the hip, you are missing. Bring the weapon to your eye level, point and shoot. For a shotgun in a home defense situation, a bead sight is fine, at 20 yards or less, it really is point and shoot. If your shooting clays, most folks will argue that either a front bead or an open sight are best, a scope just slows down your target acquisition. Since the accuracy of a smooth bore shotgun falls off quickly, a scope of any kind is really a waste, and a laser may mean the muzzle is pointed at the target, (if properly boresighted) but even at 50 yards your slug or shot might be many inches off the laser. And really, if your shooting at anything at 100 yards or more, go to a rifle. I have a Mossie 590A1 and all it has is a super bright flashlight and the stock front bead. The flashlight has a big, fat on off button that sits right under my thumb when I am gripping the shotgun, so it works perfect. At the sound of the pump I would expect anyone in the house to be rapidly exiting anyway, but the light will frame them if the need arises.

...hollywood stupid myth #2 - "bad guys" flee in terror upon hearing the pump action of a shotgun.

home invaders have bad intentions, and are typically armed. and thugs. they aren't likely to run in terror from a gun that wasn't even loaded (ie: owner not likely to be cold/ruthless enough to use it).

why would you keep your HD gun unloaded? an unloaded gun is a paperweight, and the suuuuuuuuuuper scareyyyyyyy sound of the action (pump) gives your position (and armament) away. it's a tactically Chumlyic move.

gotta love the mall ninjas coming out of the woodwork for this woot.

axemurderer

ozzallos wrote:This. And I'm not going to put a pistol grip shotty up to my face to aim it, thanks

yeah, why would you want a stock? they look liek sooo totttaly kewler with just a pistol grip! who cares if it's now much harder to aim or have follow-up shots? looking good is all that matters when you're being dumb.