WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Gunnar Optiks Gaming Eyewear

You've got the glasses you wear when you read, the ones you wear when you drive, the ones you wear when you shower, the ones you wear when you watch a romantic comedy, and the ones you wear when you sleep. Complete your collection with these glasses you wear when you play computer games. 
Gunnar official site

dramaticchipmnk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dramaticchipmnk

I've got a pair of Gunnars at home and a pair for my office, and they are worth every penny. I have good vision and don't wear prescription glasses, but I used to get horrible headaches from staring at the screen all day, both at work and even from gaming. These glasses are a lifesaver, and a real steal at these prices. I'm almost tempted to buy a backup pair.

blaze125

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blaze125

Too bad the Crystalline version of the glasses aren't available!

PapaMidnight

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PapaMidnight

For those who have questions about prescriptions, the Power of Google led me here: http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5151743

6 years bag-of-crapless and counting...

boony

quality posts: 1 Private Messages boony

Anybody have any information on how these fit. I've a rather oversized melon atop my shoulders and am constantly challenged to find specs that actually fit me.

What say you, woot?

/Zzz

jespensc

quality posts: 23 Private Messages jespensc

So... My digging for info on these glasses last time turned up many reasonably-convincing comparisons and measurements indicating this: These glasses, unless you buy the Rx versions, are all +0.50 diopter with a nice warm tint to compensate for the cold/high color temp of most monitor setups.

Anecdotally, I like 'em. Comfortwise I can't tell the difference between these and the Foster Grant computer glasses (also +0.50, with a distinctly orange tint), for about 1/2 the price. Anyone have any actual specs for Gunnar?

llocutus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages llocutus

Aw, no MLG's.

honeybadger12

quality posts: 7 Private Messages honeybadger12

If I use f.lux on my computer screen set to the warmest temperature and set to stay at that setting all the time, will I find any benefit in these glasses?

afrid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages afrid
honeybadger12 wrote:If I use f.lux on my computer screen set to the warmest temperature and set to stay at that setting all the time, will I find any benefit in these glasses?

I've always heard that these glasses don't exactly do the same thing as F.lux. I've never used them myself or seen any evidence for that claim, but take it for what you will.

Swinagen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Swinagen
honeybadger12 wrote:If I use f.lux on my computer screen set to the warmest temperature and set to stay at that setting all the time, will I find any benefit in these glasses?

I've use both Gunnars and f.lux together and find them pretty effective. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the Gunnars. They've done a lot more for me in terms of helping my eye-strain that f.lux just wasn't doing.

Bigsauce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bigsauce
boony wrote:Anybody have any information on how these fit. I've a rather oversized melon atop my shoulders and am constantly challenged to find specs that actually fit me.

What say you, woot?

I just bought a pair last time and I have a HUGE head and they fit fine. The springs on the side allow them to fit comfortably. If they can fit my head, they can fit anyone's.

I've been using them for over a month now and I'm impressed. I originally bought them because my right eye would get dry and "twitch" after reading my interwebs for awhile. It didn't go away at first but after a couple weeks I noticed I don't get that twitch anymore and was super pumped I purchased these. Well worth the money so far.

thewebercrew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thewebercrew

I bought the Groove in early January. I'm in sight of 50 years and borderline needing reading glasses for non-computer reading depending on type size and light conditions. These improved my comfort on the computer quite a bit. I wear them every day all day at work. Actually, not true, I take them off every chance I get when moving about the office or talking to someone (see reason below). They are always on when I'm one the computer which is most of the day.

Fit is good, not too tight. I would say I have a slightly large rectangular head! My only complaint is the nose piece, or rather pieces. These would be much more comfortable for all day use if the bridge across the nose was continuous vs the two small nose pads.

Last comment is once you wear these for a few hours its more uncomfortable looking at a screen w/o them than if you never put them on in the first place. I assume this is b/c your eyes adjust to the slight magnification.

Overall...good deal and would buy again if something happened to mine.

rootatlocalhost

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rootatlocalhost

These r 4 iLusers whose ohSeX won't let them make all the phonts bigger. For muting crappy fluorescents, ess w/ yellow shield will save you a few bucks and you'll have an option of adding shade shields in various colours. And a clear shield for biking home after dark. And you'll look tactical.

mrichm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrichm

I bought one of these to go on before my google glasses.

Wooters wooting wootfully wootlessly, woot.

jsw777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsw777

The 3d glasses rec'd bad reviews on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_sq_top?ie=UTF8&index=blended&keywords=gunnar%20optiks%20gliff%20premium%203d%20eyewear&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0065E4DTE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QAWG7G6V1HNZTA2FJMR

honeybadger12

quality posts: 7 Private Messages honeybadger12
Swinagen wrote:I've use both Gunnars and f.lux together and find them pretty effective. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the Gunnars. They've done a lot more for me in terms of helping my eye-strain that f.lux just wasn't doing.

The input is appreciated, thank you.

kittiesonacid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kittiesonacid

Hm... tempting, especially if I thought I'd get them before PAX East, ie three straight days of staring at screens.

stinawargo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages stinawargo

I'd def recommend that everyone buying these pick up a nice eyeglass repair set, as the glasses need a good tightening every once in a while, and I've had an issue with nuts & bolts falling out. Get a tool like this, and it won't be a problem: http://www.amazon.com/MINIATURE-PRECISION-SCREWDRIVER-Sunglasses-Jewellery/dp/B005MPREI4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1363029261&sr=8-12&keywords=eyeglass+repair