WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

After the success of our Kit Kat Challenge one thing became obvious: you like to make us eat things. You disgusting enablers. But far be it from us to stand in the way of your wishes! That's why this week we've decided to help you plan your Easter baskets by doing a taste test on the Springiest of confections: the chocolate Easter egg.

Don't they look delicious? After the jump, you'll get to live vicariously through our words and discover which egg won the day. It's just like being here with us! Without the medical risks from eating all so much candy in one sitting!

As you can tell from the earlier photo, Easter egg candy is like Street Fighter: a collision of different styles, a few of which always totally suck. Because of this, it didn't seem fair to us to be throwing a spherical Hershey's kiss up against, say, a mighty Cadbury Creme Egg. That's why we had a little weigh-in and split the contestants into divisions. Our lightweight division went first.

Unfortunately for us, tiny Easter eggs are made to be bitten through, not sliced. Instead of glamorous interior shots of tiny chocolate masterpieces, we got this:

… so we're gonna skip the play-by-play and just give you the final summary.

Ferrero Egg: Crunched as we sliced it! This egg was full of a yummy hazelnut creme and seemed closer to a truffle than an Easter egg. 7.4.
Butterfinger Egg: Seemed promising at first, but everyone agreed they'd rather just have a normal-sized Butterfinger instead. 6.2.
Ghiradelli Egg: Solid, quality milk chocolate. However, unwrapping the egg was difficult, and we're very harsh judges. 7.2
Hershey's Egg: Respectable and much loved, this egg would have a place in any Easter basket. But where's the flash, Hershey? Where's the A-game? 6.8.
Reese's Egg: The most-anticipated lightweight lets us down! The peanut butter was totally not up to par. A heartbreaking performance from this contender that was expected to win. 6.9.
Reese's Half Egg: As Adam put it "Is there even peanut butter in this thing?" 6.0
Dove Half Egg: Good chocolate, a nice wrapper, and an unexpected coconut filling! 7.3.

The judges took a short break to drink water and check their glucose levels, and then in was back into action with our second competition: The Cadbury Face-Off!

Anyone who's anyone knows that a Cadbury Creme Egg is one of THE most sought-after seasonal delights. Who doesn't have memories of the annual TV alert that warned us to go bother our parents? Much like the Gracies in MMA, the Cadbury family can only truly compete against itself. And here are the results.

Cadbury Caramel Egg: Good, thick Cadbury shell, and a generous amount of caramel, but far too sweet. 8.5.
Cadbury Chocolate Egg: Same shell, nice chocolate filling, and the one Jason Toon zoomed in on despite his current diet. And yet, something was just… lacking? Against lesser candy, no one would have noticed, but Cadbury holds itself to a higher standard. 8.9.
Small Cadbury Creme Egg: What is there to say? The Mary Lou Retton of Easter. And at the small size, there's no overpowering guilt for eating the entire thing. No, the scoreboard's not broken, that's a perfect 10.

It's hard to top Cadbury, but these heavyweight eggs came a long way to compete, so we're gonna give them their shot. Step up, big guys. Shed your wrappers and show us what you've got!

The brand name trio were confident enough to go first. From left to right, you're looking at a Twix egg, a Snickers egg, and a York Peppermint Egg. These three were also the easiest eggs to cut. So polite! But how did they rate by taste? Well...

The Twix was a nice balance of cookie and caramel, but was pretty much just a slightly larger Twix bar. The Snickers was pretty good, but had the feeling of something you'd find between Fudge Rounds and Mallomars on the cookie aisle. And the York Egg was basically just a standard Peppermint Patty in a slightly more oval shape. A solid 8.2 across the board for all three.

Ah, Russell Stover. The candy of drug stores everywhere. From left to right, those are the Coconut, the Raspberry Whip, and the Maple Cream. Taste reviews ran from "way too sweet" for the Raspberry, to "I felt like I just ate some beach guy's hair" for the Coconut. Overall these eggs were considered to be just way too overpowering in flavor. Maybe they'd be more tolerable in bite sized form? Better luck next year, R.S. 4.4, 3.2, 4.8.

And to close us out, an exhibition match between two World Champions: The Reese's Brothers!

Note the internal consistency between the pair. Note how their smooth filling breaks evenly and how the chocolate maintains just the perfect thickness. Maybe it was genetics or maybe it was effort, but these two powerhouses maintain the ideal for their weight class. The Cadbury Creme Egg better be happy these two aren't here for competition, because they're unbeatable. Nobody's in the same league as a Reese's Egg. It's the Ali of Easter candy.

Special thanks to our Staff Wonka, Kristy Tye, for supplying the contestants. And stick around! You never know what we'll be stupid even to taste-test next!

FYI2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FYI2

PLEASE PLEASE will this be offered as a Woot sell off? Love everyone of them!!!!!!!
Thsnks!

dukeofwulf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dukeofwulf

Without Heavenly Hash, this contest was a sham. http://www.elmerchocolate.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=117&Itemid=136

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

Where's the hollow egg with the peep inside? That's the best combo right there, except that you murder a peep when you slice it open.

zollars23

quality posts: 15 Private Messages zollars23

What? No Cadbury Mini-Eggs?

http://imnothungryimaddicted.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/cadburyminieggs-sm.jpg

(V) (;,,;) (V) <---Zoidberg

{img]https://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/712b9375-5487-4897-baf4-2212baf8dbca.png[/img]

criticalmaas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages criticalmaas
zollars23 wrote:What? No Cadbury Mini-Eggs?

seriously. I stock up every Easter, they are so sweetly crunchy, so smoothly chocolatey...ommmmm

And they come in big bags and actually look kind of like real eggs. Great for chocolate-cereal nests :D

Lerasi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lerasi

you actually tested russell stover's candy against actual real candy. EEEWWWWWWW. I'm actually surprised to see how it scored at all, because even with my wicked sweet tooth, I wouldn't touch that stuff unless I was starving and it was the last thing on the shelf.

soxgal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soxgal

You didn't test the Godiva creme eggs? I need you to spend your money on these and then tell me if it's worth shelling out the big bucks.

Lerasi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lerasi
dukeofwulf wrote:Without Heavenly Hash, this contest was a sham. http://www.elmerchocolate.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=117&Itemid=136

I never realized that their chocolates were so regional! We don't have them in NC and I miss gold brick eggs! Maybe the taste testers don't know about them!

bhyphenlow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bhyphenlow

Someday, when you're in the mood for a really great egg, I would recommend these:
http://www.debrand.com/shop/product_detail.cfm?loption_id=9205&lsubcat_id=66&lsku=4206#.UTpYqxzlZNM

kfujita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kfujita

mannn...after reading the reviews i went to 7-11 to get some coffee. what was next to the checkout? 2 for $2 reese's eggs.

of course i bought 2.

bonniegibson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonniegibson

Where are the malted milk Robin's eggs? Those are so awesome I usually eat them until my mouth hurts. Bad for the waistline, but sometimes you just can't resist.

cameramanmike

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cameramanmike

Mmm, Reese's Pieces eggs. The crystal meth of Easter candy.
So bad for you, but impossible to resist once you have tried them...

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 43 Private Messages skispeakeasy

Why the heck not?

amhi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amhi
criticalmaas wrote:seriously. I stock up every Easter, they are so sweetly crunchy, so smoothly chocolatey...ommmmm

And they come in big bags and actually look kind of like real eggs. Great for chocolate-cereal nests :D

Glad to see two people beat me to it. Cadbury's Mini Eggs - the best thing about Easter. I stock up as well - aside from bags to eat now, I'll get a few big bags of them before Easter to keep in the cupboard, just in case they sell out. And then I go to the store the day after Easter, when they're half price, and stock up for the rest of the year.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

WHAT THE WHAT?! No original Cadbury Creme eggs? I remember BEGGING my parents for them... and how many years have they sold out completely WEEKS before Easter?! Plenty... Plenty.

Diakoneo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Diakoneo

I had a Cadbury Cream Egg last year, and it was OK but it wasn't like I remembered. I thought they used to be a complete mess to eat, with creme part flowing all over when you bit into it. The one last year had creme, but it was stiffer and didn't ooze a lot. It might just be a faulty memory circuit...

clockworktaltos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clockworktaltos
zollars23 wrote:What? No Cadbury Mini-Eggs?

This is what I came here to say.

Secret Member of The Order of The Cockatrice.

P.S. Don't tell anyone.

rmccormack549

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmccormack549

The Reese's egg will always win. No need to debate.

BUT, this year I tried a WHITE CHOCOLATE Reese's egg. It is the the knock-out champion of the chocolate Easter eggs. Milk chocolate, step aside.

We are done here...

teacherflick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teacherflick

Gotta love the Starburst Jelly Beans. I know they are not truly egg shaped, but definitely seasonal. Gotta get a few big bags for the wife and I to share.

• Woot#7 (1) High Speed HDMI Cable - 2 Pack 2/15/2011
  • Woot#6 (3) Colgate Wisp 48 Pack 1/19/2011
  • Woot#5 (2) Isotoner Men’s Leather Gloves 1/7/2011
  • Woot#4 (2) OmniMount Satellite Speaker Stands - Platinum (2 Pair) 10/21/2010
  • Woot#3 (2) Vornado V6 Flippi Fan – 2 Pack (2 Red/2 Raspberry) 6/15/2010
  • Woot #2 (3) Wicked Little Buds Noise Isolating Stereo Earbuds 3/12/2010
  • Woot #1 (1) Samsung Bluetooth headset 11/27/09

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I love Hershey Easter Eggs. They seem so much creamier than Hershey kisses.

Drat, now I want some.

To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

chrisbesu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisbesu

If you guys do a taste test for truffles, please include witors brand. I thought I new chocolate till I stuck on of those in my mouth. Now I know the rush when an addict jabs a vein.

mooz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mooz

At our house we read your reviews of Easter candy between gales of laughter. Honestly, the only cream filled egg that should be cheered is the Cadbury Creme Egg(you got that one right!) Beyond that.... we just dont understand your attitude about the Russle Stover Eggs.I dont ever remember an Easter basket that didnt contain Russle Stover Eggs. The two that you so heavily dissed are our favorite!!! The rasberry actually tastes like raspberry and has REAL raspberry in the creme but the very best is the coconut creme. The cut about eating someones hair was indicative of your lack of candy savvy.

seraphina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seraphina

My Easter obsession... Cadbury Mini Eggs.... Best candy coated chocolate EVER

~Seraphina

jettavdwrvr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jettavdwrvr
seraphina wrote:My Easter obsession... Cadbury Mini Eggs.... Best candy coated chocolate EVER

I call shenanigans on this entire taste test due to the lack of Cadbury Mini Eggs.