Lots of good reviews (4.0 out of 5.0) over at Amazon

[MOD: Different cameras.]

searingxheretic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages searingxheretic

Stop looking at me, Swann!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Wholesaleforless

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wholesaleforless

I have to wonder if so many Wooters live in bad neighborhoods. Woot offers these DVR security systems a LOT.

They wouldn't do so if people weren't buying them

AlexWalsh

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AlexWalsh
conanthelibrarian wrote:Lots of good reviews (4.0 out of 5.0) over at Amazon

I'm not sure that's the same system since those are PRO-550 cameras. This system has ADS-180 cameras which looks more like this link. Retails for $268.53 so this savings is only $48.

grassynoel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages grassynoel

Are there certified Control4 drivers for this?

Kankennon

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kankennon

Are they good at catching geese and ducks too? We don't have many rampaging swans around here.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

AlexWalsh wrote:I'm not sure that's the same system since those are PRO-550 cameras. This system has ADS-180 cameras which looks more like this link. Retails for $268.53 so this savings is only $48.

Good catch. I noted it in the original post.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

specialized999

quality posts: 5 Private Messages specialized999

Not wireless... =(

hdtvcamera

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hdtvcamera

I have this recorder but different cameras. I have a few cameras under the eaves of my house but I bought a less ugly ball style camera for the front door. I live in a nice neighborhood but I feel it deters would be criminals. Of course if someone broke in and found the control unit it would do no good at finding the culprits. It has solved the mystery of which neighbor was letting their dog do his business in my yard without picking up. It also helped figure out where a tennis racket came from that was left at our front door. (neighbor's kid)
The android app works flawlessly. I had a bit of trouble setting it up myself but was able to screen share with a tech and get going painlessly from that point.
Swann offers lifetime 24/7 tech support. The techs have mostly been good. This is especially true with the US support agents. Communications has been difficult on occasion with the India support staff. Swann appears to be a solid company that has been around for a while. I would buy their products again based on my experience.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Last woot, hackability issue came up but left unchallenged:

fazeshift wrote:You may wish to read this article before considering:

http://it.slashdot.org/story/13/01/29/0111238/58000-security-camera-systems-critically-vulnerable-to-attackers

glenthompson wrote:Seems that these systems have their own security issues. https://community.rapid7.com/community/metasploit/blog/2013/01/28/ray-sharp-cctv-dvr-password-retrieval-remote-root
Allows an attacker to control the dvr and monitor you and provides access to your internal network.

Forbes picked up on this, and the responses from the companies varied from "We've got different, better firmware (like Zmodo) and disabled UPnP by default (i.e., URMET)" to "We're looking into it" (like Swann) in the January article

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/01/28/more-than-a-dozen-brands-of-security-camera-systems-vulnerable-to-hacker-hijacking/

and the point raised of disabling UPnP, although Swannn in their instruction manual
http://www.showuhow.com/VIG_Files/VIGFiles/8750_32201112033PMDVR4_Alpha_D12_M12C16031210E_web.pdf

said "Basically, UPnP is the ultimate shortcut when setting up your home network. The big benefit of UPnP is that you don't have to worry about port forwarding, which is one of the most time consuming and difficult stages of configuring your network."

Then, says that if your router supports UPnP, then says to check the router's instructions to enable it. The next paragraph, in boldface (really), says "Enabling UPnP will have a minor effect on your network security.", saying next "If your network is free from malware,... then UPnP will improve the security of your network. This happens because the ports that programs and devices use while they're open are automatically closed when the program is closed or the device shut down. On the other hand, if UPnP is enabled once the security is already compromised (that is, a device or computer on the network is infected by some kind of malware) then UPnP will reduce your networks (sic) ability to quarantine suspect programs by allowing them outbound access throught the router's firewall."

The next paragraph for port configuration points out the need to forward Media Port (default 9000) and WEb Port (default is 80, but switch to something else like 85 or 3100) if you want remote access.

Thus, since I'm not good at networking, I'm asking others to comment on this. However, the upshot I get (unless Swann can answer this on a weekend) is that if you're going to buy this, disable UPnP and don't bother with the remote access until we have a clearer answer on this hackability.

For more info on installation (and the page that led to the pdf of the manual), go to the instruction page, where they have 16 support videos for installation (that I haven't viewed yet since I'm exhausted from looking up this topic):
http://www.showuhow.com/Home/Pre_sale_widget/Pre_sale_widgetSwannCommuncationsInc/tabid/6760/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Oh, also the product page for the cameras
http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=1308
including manual
http://www.swann.com/webfiles/download/1638ADS-180_M180CAM150411E.pdf

Oh, and $219.99 tonight.

Whew!

Qiset

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Qiset

I own a similar Swann system. With the same cameras. The dvr looks a bit different. The cameras I have don't work well enough at night to see in the dark. I replaced one camera that failed with a different brand that does. The dvr I have locks up about once every 30-40 days requiring a format of the harddrive. Swann support says it requires a bios upgrade. All-in-all, I would go with a different brand if I had to do it over.

jdevaux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdevaux
AlexWalsh wrote:I'm not sure that's the same system since those are PRO-550 cameras. This system has ADS-180 cameras which looks more like this link. Retails for $268.53 so this savings is only $48.

You're correct. 550 cameras are CCD, not CMOS. Higher res, made by Sony.

bluemaple

quality posts: 74 Private Messages bluemaple

RE these all-in-one Secruity packages, if you want to see more detail than simply a body moving, insist on 'D1' resolution - anything less is pretty much a joke these days.

This system claims D1 capability but two concerns:

1) the camera resolution does not match the recording and display resolution. (lower). In fact there might be a spec contradiction - it claims to be cabapble of 400 line resolution in the summary tab but both the cameras and recording capability look to be greater than that on the detail tab.

2) To get near smooth video you want 30 frames per second (fps). This system appears to cap out at 60 fps on D1 resolution, meaning 15 fps for each of the cameras. That is herky-jerky video.

If you want a system to see that something is going on this should do the job and at a decent price, but I'd be suspicious of its ability to actually identify the actors unless you already know them.

N6VMO

quality posts: 2 Private Messages N6VMO

Analog video is dead.

Spend your money on an IP POE camera system.
Step into the present...

bluemaple

quality posts: 74 Private Messages bluemaple
N6VMO wrote:Analog video is dead.

Spend your money on an IP POE camera system.
Step into the present...

Agreed. But more expensive and currently requires a bit more technical aptitude.

KINGZWORLD

quality posts: 4 Private Messages KINGZWORLD
Wholesaleforless wrote:I have to wonder if so many Wooters live in bad neighborhoods. Woot offers these DVR security systems a LOT.

Im in for one... yea, my hood is bad. I live on an island where the average house is 1.1 mil. it hard core here. They drive up in their Bently and mclarens. just ready to hire someone to mess with your day. I need them to keep the ppl next to me off my roof.. dont ask.. maybe they like my view of the water better.

dianewagner64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dianewagner64

there is an 8 camera system with an 8 channel 1TB DVR and remote viewing on sale at Menards for 249.99

pastapup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pastapup
Qiset wrote:I own a similar Swann system. With the same cameras. The dvr looks a bit different. The cameras I have don't work well enough at night to see in the dark. I replaced one camera that failed with a different brand that does. The dvr I have locks up about once every 30-40 days requiring a format of the harddrive. Swann support says it requires a bios upgrade. All-in-all, I would go with a different brand if I had to do it over.

If you want high quality and extremely simple set up and use I recommend that you use a "self-networking" camera. There are many types available including Day/Night, High Definition and commercial. Just plug them in and watch and listen with any Apple i-Device or Android smart phone. You can also use Windows on any PC to monitor them. The recording can be in the camera ( micro SD card) and on the device you are using to monitor the activity. The cameras can alert you by email when there is activity. There are no monthly fees or complicated set ups. Your camera can be online in less than 1 minute. I like the fact that several different people can watch the same camera from different locations at the same time. All they need is the camera password that you make up during set up. Fast, simple and secure. I use mine to monitor my house and my pets when I am away. You can even take a camera with you to use as security when you are using hotels or motels. Do you really know who is in your room when you aren't there? If an intruder enters, the camera auto records and sends you a snapshot allowing you to observe, listen and record what is going on in your room with your smartphone.

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo

Perhaps they just love living in a Security State.

Wholesaleforless wrote:I have to wonder if so many Wooters live in bad neighborhoods. Woot offers these DVR security systems a LOT.

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo

Will a properly aimed paint ball gun render these things useless?

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

craigleslie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages craigleslie

i just bought a far better system for 160. on deals.woot i did a search and found an eight channel, 4 camera, sony vandle proofe, all weather day/night better picture, tracking motion sensor, fully cutomizable lenux system, compatable with win. free shipping, basicaly, better in every way. it comes in like, 3 days. 2 terabites of storage.

badhabit12

quality posts: 14 Private Messages badhabit12
craigleslie wrote:i just bought a far better system for 160. on deals.woot i did a search and found an eight channel, 4 camera, sony vandle proofe, all weather day/night better picture, tracking motion sensor, fully cutomizable lenux system, compatable with win. free shipping, basicaly, better in every way. it comes in like, 3 days. 2 terabites of storage.

Any chance you could provide "DETAILS" like what you typed in to find this system? Date you purchased it and so on,,,,

Thank you in advance

tkebidder

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tkebidder

I am happy that woot is going back to their roots and offering a change up in offerings...I mean security camera's? That is soo new! A Oh, Magoo, you've done it again!

tkebidder

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tkebidder

Maybe one day they will offer a tablet or vacuum

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

I used to have one of these until it got stolen.

sasha611v

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasha611v
specialized999 wrote:Not wireless... =(

Wireless is the last thing you want to run video over unless you hate streaming youtube and netflix to your pc. Wired is always going to give a better signal. Wireless in general is just a big hub.

sasha611v

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasha611v

Just because UPNP is enabled on the device does not mean it is already enabled on your home router. If it is, then yes it like magic and works automagically with hardly any setup. Though the downside of this is a lot of times people leave upnp on and never change the admin password and then before you know it....your device is hacked. Not likely they will get too much further than that but they would probably be able to do anything they want with your dvr....like erase it.