WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Taking the elevator:
  • 28.1% - Is always fine. Doesn’t matter if you’re only going to the 2nd floor. 583
  • 33.7% - Is for people going to the the 3rd floor or higher. 700
  • 18.6% - Is for people going to the 5th floor or higher. 386
  • 5.3% - Is for people going to the 10th floor or higher. 110
  • 14.3% - Is fine if you’re going up; it’s people who take the elevator down a few floors who are the problem. 296
2075 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

joer1990

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joer1990

Depends on how bad you have to pass gas really

aojle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aojle

The elevator is for handicapped people, and people moving equipment. The worst thing ever was when they closed the stairs to the Washington Monument. Well, then they closed it all, that was worse.

phileoca

quality posts: 9 Private Messages phileoca

The people at Disneyland, CA are the problem who use the Elevator that has a sign which says "For guests with wheel chairs and strollers only.

I just want to slap some lazy fools who can't get on the escalator 10 feet away from elevator.

My wife woots too

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

I prefer the stairs but I am usually with family and, for various reasons, the elevator is preferred by them. Some for medical reasons, some just don't want to use the stairs, or taking a toddler up several flights of stairs can require an extra 30+ minutes because they OF COURSE insist on walking by themselves as they reach down and touch each and every stair with their fingers because step 5 feels very different from step 53.

v3xed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages v3xed

Missing the option:
NEVER OK (omitting special circumstances)

It takes a massive amount of energy to haul an elevator up even a few stories. And guess what, me, and probably most other people wouldn't hurt to add more stairs to their daily routine. Exercise is key!

voodoowing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages voodoowing

Is for people with young children.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

Depends on the building and circumstances.

I've had to lug many a stroller around - elevators are really helpful. I've also been injured and hauled equipment needing said elevator. Occasionally there is a dress reason to avoid the stairs (some shoes come to mind, but I never wear those). Or when a significant amount of stairs will affect your body odor level and you are in a work environment or somewhere that showering is not a possibility. Yeah, then you need the elevator. I take the stairs everyday unless I'm hauling stuff.

Beware the V'owls screech!

jmuth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmuth

5 floors and above have cable/traction system and are very fast. 4 floors or less have hydraulic system and are painfully slow.

bacalum

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bacalum

Better poll choices:

The elevator is fine if you're:

A. Carrying or toting heavy or awkward baggage;
B. Going down, if you have bad knees;
C. Going up or down, if you have a medical need to use the elevator;
D. Going up or down, if you're a fat, lazy bas-ard and you want fat, lazy children to follow your example.

When rich or powerful people propose a change, it is designed to make them richer or more powerful.

melonmanhart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melonmanhart

Never judge a person who only goes up or down 1 or 2 floors. You don't know if the have physical impairments.

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud
voodoowing wrote:Is for people with young children.

^ This. lol

melonmanhart wrote:Never judge a person who only goes up or down 1 or 2 floors. You don't know if the have physical impairments.

I judge people that take an elevator up one flight (specifically those I work with), when stairs are next to the elevator (especially when you have to walk further for the elevator) and they are just being lazy or are fat the same way I judge people that park in handicap parking spaces that clearly have no need to park there. This is coming from someone that had a father that had 2 knee replacements and didn't opt to use a handicap spot because walking was needed for recovery and myself for the past 10 or so years have dealt with 3 herniated discs in my lower back with a dose of sciatica causing my left leg to go numb from time to time. I'm coming in at 250 and need to walk and take the stairs, other people in need should realize this and do the same.

Now if you are fit and feel like being lazy, thats your thing. But when you are fat, sit at your desk all day, complain about being out of breath walking down the hall, eat crap all day, and refuse to do anything to change it... damn straight I'm going to judge you. So perhaps it is fair to say don't always judge, but never say never! ;)

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

jreesnc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jreesnc

I like buildings who have located the stairs near the elevator. I will always take stairs for 5 floors or less. But, on a lot of buildings I CANNOT find the stairs

potzer01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages potzer01

Is fine if you're going more then 1 floor.

tmfrizzell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmfrizzell
joer1990 wrote:Depends on how bad you have to pass gas really

Truth

oclafretep

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oclafretep

Whichever is quicker... Typically I can scale 2-3 flights in the time it would take to board and ride an elevator.

I also work in an office building where you need the elevator to get between the floors, there is no re-entry from the stairwells.

cowpucky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cowpucky

Many locations have either dark or unsafe stairways, hidden off in a corner away from the entrance. For security reasons, a few others have stairway doors locked from the stairway. Not wanting to take a chance and hunt down an out-of-the-way stairway that may or may not let them enter a higher floor, most people will opt for the elevator(s) placed near the door, especially when the building directory is posted there. In apartment buildings, most people usually do prefer to take the stairs a floor or two, just to avoid waiting for the elevator to come to the first floor.

Flaminghotsauce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Flaminghotsauce

I personally don't use the elevator when I have a chance to use it daily. My job involves several hours of sitting, so I get all the extrasize I can. Most that use that elevator are elderly, handicapped, or aliens with no ambulatory systems.

moles1138

quality posts: 8 Private Messages moles1138

My doctor is on the 4th floor. Since I know she will be checking my BP, I'll use the elevator going up. No need to use it going down.

moose123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moose123

Always fine. Lugging that rollator up those flights is a bear. Not to mention the greater likelihood of being mugged in a stairwell than on an elevator.

bblhed

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bblhed
jreesnc wrote:I like buildings who have located the stairs near the elevator. I will always take stairs for 5 floors or less. But, on a lot of buildings I CANNOT find the stairs

I have a major problem with buildings where they decide to hide the stairs. I am fat and out of shape but would still rather take the stairs any day. Stairs are faster, more comfortable, less crowded and IMO safer.

Hospitals are the worst place to try and take the stairs because they are often hidden and or many floors are locked so that patents can't wander off.

I also believe that there should be a staircase entrance at every elevator or elevator bank because that is where people will go in an emergency anyway.

groberts1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages groberts1980

Man, there are some lazy people that voted this poll. The elevator is for people going to the 3rd floor or higher, unless you're handicapped or carrying large items. Nothing annoys me more than when I get on the elevator heading to the 5th floor and the damn thing stops at 2 for people to step off. I mean I'm lazy by nature but even I would take the stairs to the second floor.

ratmotor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ratmotor

Now we have the Elevator Third Reich?

Thane9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thane9
SumDuud wrote:I judge people that take an elevator up one flight (specifically those I work with), when stairs are next to the elevator (especially when you have to walk further for the elevator) and they are just being lazy or are fat the same way I judge people that park in handicap parking spaces that clearly have no need to park there. This is coming from someone that had a father that had 2 knee replacements and didn't opt to use a handicap spot because walking was needed for recovery and myself for the past 10 or so years have dealt with 3 herniated discs in my lower back with a dose of sciatica causing my left leg to go numb from time to time. I'm coming in at 250 and need to walk and take the stairs, other people in need should realize this and do the same.

Now if you are fit and feel like being lazy, thats your thing. But when you are fat, sit at your desk all day, complain about being out of breath walking down the hall, eat crap all day, and refuse to do anything to change it... damn straight I'm going to judge you. So perhaps it is fair to say don't always judge, but never say never! ;)

Exertion, however minor, is NOT prescribed for all medical conditions. It's awesome you have such anecdotal evidence to support your desire to judge other people, but something tells me you are not a medical doctor.

Nor should you be, with that attitude.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

The old rule of thumb was more than 2 up or 3 down, take the elevator, otherwise use stairs. I worked on the 5th floor, my company used 1 and 4-6. I took the elevator when I got to the office and used the stairs between floors, except going back up from the first. That and walking to/from work kept me healthy.

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1

Depends on the building. A lot of buildings use their stairwells for emergency use only. Some are poorly lit, not maintained, and just plain sketchy. A dark stairwell is a good place to get jumped by shifty characters.

For safety sake, some may choose to take the elevator. If it's an open staircase then that's a different story.

Also, some stairs are hard to find in buildings...they seem to be out of the way and if you're in a hurry you can't really waste time finding the hidden door to the stairs. Elevators are most always centrally located and easy to find.

helenhalla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages helenhalla

I almost never take the stairs going down at our office, but I will take them going up to the 4th floor. Going up is work but at least I can lean forward and not worry so much about how narrow each step is.

melb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melb

Depends on the situation and the person. No one has the right to judge anyone...we all have a different story!

As for me...stairs, unless I have my son with me because he is in a stroller, then I will use the elevator.

theyatemypig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theyatemypig

@V3xed
Actually, it only takes a couple of Watts per floor. That's hardly any power at all...

slothful1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slothful1

Missing option: What other people do is none of my business.

slothful1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slothful1
SumDuud wrote:the same way I judge people that park in handicap parking spaces that clearly have no need to park there.

Unless they get out of the car and start jogging, you have no way of knowing that.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I worked in a 70 floor building. The stairs are locked on the inside. The building doesn't want people to go from company to company.

Those elevators were well cared for.

I have a problem with small building elevators. Too slow.
Once I did get stuck and the emergency person wanted to know the address of the building! I had no clue what the address was.

I'll walk 3 floors every time and occasionally more.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

nmumark

quality posts: 9 Private Messages nmumark

I prefer scaling the outside of the building and busting through a random window.

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1
nmumark wrote:I prefer scaling the outside of the building and busting through a random window.

^This. Stairs are for nancy boys.

aojle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aojle
theyatemypig wrote:@V3xed
Actually, it only takes a couple of Watts per floor. That's hardly any power at all...

Watts is not a measure of energy, you've misspoken and made a nonsense statement. Perhaps you meant watt-hours.

vitalady4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vitalady4

If you're running late, and you're in decent shape, run up the stairs for 3 floors and try not to look a mess when you arrive at your appointed destination. Walking back down the steps is a healthy move also. If the elevator is faster, then take it, but don't make it a habit.

Tatts

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tatts
v3xed wrote:Missing the option:
NEVER OK (omitting special circumstances)

It takes a massive amount of energy to haul an elevator up even a few stories. And guess what, me, and probably most other people wouldn't hurt to add more stairs to their daily routine. Exercise is key!

It does not take a massive amount of energy. It actually takes fairly little, since the elevator is counterbalanced by weights.

Unfortunately, in our office (30 floors), you can't take any stairs. And the system tells you which elevator to take. Press the floor button in the lobby and go to the elevator the system tells you to use; it won't stop on your floor otherwise. There are no floor selector buttons in the elevators themselves. It improves carrying capacity by 30% and saves energy.

This discussion brings to mind the song "Schadenfreude" from Avenue Q. (Google it--the elevator line is not Woot-friendly.)