WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Optoma Projectors

Look, televisions are getting flatter and wider. So why not just take the plunge and get a projector instead? It'll throw a nice image right on your wall and your jealous neighbor will know: you can't get flatter than nothing. And you'll win! Isn't that the only thing worth caring about these days? It's not like there's anything good on TV...

Quality Posts

dwijster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwijster

Love my Optoma PT100. Paid $179 like a year ago. Great for the kids room. can take a licking and keep on ticking. Built in speaker is a nice +. May pick this one up as it is so cheap, no brainer.

optomacsr

quality posts: 4 Private Messages optomacsr

Hello everyone. Optoma Customer Service is here to answer your questions. Please let us know if you have any questions/concerns.

lambda280

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lambda280

Presuming you are starting with a source of 3D content, does the AV receiver driving the projector also need to be "3D-capable" or certified in some way ?

I have a Denon AVR-4306 ... nice but dated ... like the products found on Woot.

Thanks in advance

Dragyn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dragyn

Picked the HD33 up last go 'round. LOVE IT. 3d is great, picture is awesome 2d or 3d.

As for the receiver question, I upgraded receiver as well, but you don't have to. HDMI direct from Blu Ray to projector then audio in from blu ray to receiver. You can then run everything off component (directv/cable, xbox...) from source through receiver. Provided your receiver isn't THAT old...

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234

Be nice if woot listed the model number on the main page description so you didn't have to click each projector's page to get it.

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

I'd love to try one of these projectors, currently have a 55inch led, a 42 inch lcd and a 32 inch lcd. too bad the reviews and or deals aren't really good enough for me to commit to something this different. oh well.

I always did like yardsales.

joellg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joellg

Would the HD8200 be a better 2D projector than the HD33? Whats the big difference?

Bombkid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bombkid

How are the projectors refurbished?
I've had bad experience in the past with refurbished items.

mkiisupraman18

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mkiisupraman18

I love my Optoma projector...

it's ~5 years old and I still have the same bulb in it... I think it's going on 3500 hours. Most of which I'm sure are from falling asleep watching [Adult Swim].

I hope Woot offers these again the day after it crapps out. Nothing better than watching movies or playing ps3 on a HUGE screen every day.

TheAntiCrust

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheAntiCrust

I own this projector. It is AMAZING! I got mine refurbished too for this price about 5 months ago. I currently have it mounted to my ceiling in my bedroom and it projects a 143 inch (I measured) screen on my wall! Now, admittedly, if you are some sort of videophile you will not like the screen this big. You can certainly see the pixels and text is hard to read (but you get used to it). As someone who doesn't mind not having the crispest picture ever, I just freaking love it. Everyone who comes over is blown away. I do all my computing on it and it works fine for that. What it really is best for, though, is the after party. After going out to the bars, I'll have a small gathering at my place to smoke hookah and watch music videos on the projector. It's so bright it keeps the room at the perfect amount of light for this sort of gathering, or for a more private event.

If I have to point out the negatives they would be as follows: Mounting it upside down on the ceiling is not what it was meant for, it has the ability to reshape the image, but the sides are noticeably curved and the screen is not uniform throughout the picture. It seems to sort of fall out of focus for some reason, I have to fiddle with it occasionally. It mounts off center, my house is old and shakes and it slowly "tilts" to the side, which has to be fixed occasionally. So, overall, I would call it sort of finnicky. But I'm a tinkerer so I don't care.

Bottom line, I am incredibly impressed with where the technology is. This is a fantastic unit that I love owning, but I can't wait until they make it a little bit better (better shaping, full 1080p at this price point). I imagine in five or so years I will be buying the next one, but I don't regret this one one bit. If you're on the fence, get it, you'll be glad you did.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
lambda280 wrote:Presuming you are starting with a source of 3D content, does the AV receiver driving the projector also need to be "3D-capable" or certified in some way ?

Thanks in advance

If the receiver is not 3D capable you will have to bypass it and connect the 3D device (PS3, Blu-Ray, etc) directly into the Optoma projector. If you try to go through a non-3D capable device it will not be able to process the 3D signal.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

I have been an Optoma user for over a decade now. I've gone through many of their projectors like the PT-100, HD70, HD20, and currently have an HD33. I've always been impressed by their 'bang for the buck' value. Projector Central always praises their ability to break price barriers and deliver projectors that rival ones that cost 2 - 3x the cost.

I've only ever had a problem with one projector, the PT-100 I bought from Woot! awhile back, and despite being slightly out of the 90 day warranty Optoma went ahead and made an exception and took care of it for me. I highly recommend this company.

crafty32

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crafty32

Grrrr Woot...I bought the GT720 last go around(Jan 20th) for $479, seven weeks later it's $399. fantastic projector for gaming though, love it.

optomacsr

lambda280 wrote:Presuming you are starting with a source of 3D content, does the AV receiver driving the projector also need to be "3D-capable" or certified in some way ?

Thanks in advance

This actually depends on whether the AV receiver has 3D pass thru or not.

If not, We recommend connecting the source directly to the 3D projector or utilizing a HDMI switch which could give you the ease of doing it without much effort.

optomacsr

optomacsr wrote:This actually depends on whether the AV receiver has 3D pass thru or not.

If not, We recommend connecting the source directly to the 3D projector or utilizing a HDMI switch which could give you the ease of doing it without much effort.

Sorry for being redundant just saw TheGuruGuys had already replied to this.

optomacsr

joellg wrote:Would the HD8200 be a better 2D projector than the HD33? Whats the big difference?

Maybe this will help:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/parts_compare.cfm?pid_1=4677&pid_2=6343

cnorcom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cnorcom
optomacsr wrote:Hello everyone. Optoma Customer Service is here to answer your questions. Please let us know if you have any questions/concerns.

Does the ML500 display 1080p from an HDMI cable coming from a blu-ray player? I am having trouble figuring out if it will only do 720.

Thank you!

optomacsr

cnorcom wrote:Does the ML500 display 1080p from an HDMI cable coming from a blu-ray player? I am having trouble figuring out if it will only do 720.

Thank you!

The ML500 is a WXGA projector and has a native resolution of 1280x800. It can support higher resolutions (HD (1080p, 720p), NTSC, PAL, SDTV (480i), EDTV (480p) However, but will not be in their true formats.

Go here for a more information:http://www.optomausa.com/products/detail/ML500

penwynd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages penwynd

I need reasons to convince my husband to fork out for this. Myself too in a way. For him it's the $$$ of the light bulbs and for me, I need something that can be hauled about and set up in strange places while still being functional. Also, can you attach speakers to this for outdoor use?