WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you believe in ghosts?
  • 27.9% - Believe in ‘em? I’ve seen ‘em! 541
  • 24.9% - Well, I think there’s something there, but nothing extra-dimensional. 484
  • 14.9% - It’s all just swamp gas and weird echoes. Just illusions from nature. 289
  • 17.8% - It’s all just made up stories and lies. People just want attention. 345
  • 14.5% - I don’t even believe in Space Ghost. You’re telling me a cartoon had a talk show? Pffft. Whatever. 281
1940 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ardubu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ardubu

11 dimensions, at least mathmatically.

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

No, and I don't understand how most people could. How do ghosts fit into the major religions? I think that when you die, that's it. You're done. When I was a Christian, I believed in an afterlife. That afterlife didn't include wandering the Earth, hanging out in dilapidated houses.

I just don't get how people can reconcile their belief in ghosts with their beliefs about what happens when you die.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

I saw ghosts all the time when I was young.

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

I think a lot of it is in people's minds. I don't think they're necessarily made up by them for attention (although I am sure this happens often), but I think their brain plays off their own fears and makes them "see" things.

It's all crazy..

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

jimbonsf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimbonsf

I did not see an option among the choices that satisfied me. I believe there is some type of phenomenon, but I cannot classify it nor can I say that I have "seen" it.

However, I have had clear and distinct impressions of what I could call "visitations" by departed animal companions and human family members.

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf

there is always an explination. people just use religion to explain the things that are too complicated for them to understand.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime
cycokiller wrote:I think a lot of it is in people's minds. I don't think they're necessarily made up by them for attention (although I am sure this happens often), but I think their brain plays off their own fears and makes them "see" things.

It's all crazy..

I chose the "made up stories" option, but this is much closer to what I think. I think the people who "see" ghosts honestly believe what they are saying, but ... well let's just go with the "if you can't say anything nice" philosophy.

melb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melb
rprebel wrote:No, and I don't understand how most people could. How do ghosts fit into the major religions? I think that when you die, that's it. You're done. When I was a Christian, I believed in an afterlife. That afterlife didn't include wandering the Earth, hanging out in dilapidated houses.

I just don't get how people can reconcile their belief in ghosts with their beliefs about what happens when you die.

Do you believe that they can "visit" us? Not necessarily that they are stuck wandering the earth or hanging out in houses...

deadeye37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages deadeye37

I loved Space Ghost! That show was exceptionally random and fun to watch. I think I'm going to go find some episodes to watch now.

Thanks Woot for reminding me of this gem.

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel
melb wrote:Do you believe that they can "visit" us? Not necessarily that they are stuck wandering the earth or hanging out in houses...

I think that when you die, that's it. You no longer exist. When I still believed in the afterlife, my answer would have been that they're in heaven or hell, not visiting relatives back on Earth.

Some people believe ghosts are actually demons. I never believed in demons, so that may explain why I never believed in ghosts.

lisaknight1962

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lisaknight1962
rprebel wrote:No, and I don't understand how most people could. How do ghosts fit into the major religions? I think that when you die, that's it. You're done. When I was a Christian, I believed in an afterlife. That afterlife didn't include wandering the Earth, hanging out in dilapidated houses.

SpudWoot

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SpudWoot

I was one of the folks who clicked that I have seen them. In particular, one old farm house while I was growing up was haunted. The ghost in question was a distant ancestor of mine that died about 10 years before I was born.

I never saw an apparition, what I did see was this:

• The door to the upstairs would open by itself. Sometimes I would take a nap in the house after I was done tending my pigs. A couple times in particular I saw the door open. It never opened by itself when no one was in the house, just while someone was there.
• I did see the curtain in the upstairs window open by itself. Open and stay open until the house was torn down. They day it did that I finished up my chores and got out of their fast.

I always had a feeling of uneasiness about the place. I also would never go in the house after dark.

jeparz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeparz

I don't see why you can't see why people wouldn't believe in "ghosts" (albeit misguided). If a person believes they are a spirit and that spirit is eternal and they aren't their body or a hunk of meat in a skull then why would it be unimaginable that the spirit could exist without or even outside a body. Lot's of inexplicable things happen to people and this would at least offer some sort of explanation. Better than attributing it to popular sources or superstition or other entities that supposedly made rules or supposedly care what an individual does or will help them if begged. "god" helps those who help themselves.

spacemart

quality posts: 15 Private Messages spacemart

never seen em, know people who have. as an atheist I don't have to fit it into a religion. I do think there are other realms or dimensions most people are unable to discern.