conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3530 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

A handful of good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at BHphotovideo.com

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

xxtermin8rxxx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xxtermin8rxxx

Great reviews from Amazon here.

Looks like a decent camera, although Samsung is not primarily a camera manufacturer. This deal is pretty good, however.

caderoux

quality posts: 2 Private Messages caderoux

Three fairly good reviews at http://www.dpreview.com/products/samsung/slrs/samsung_nx1000 - seems like a good price for it.

irockash

quality posts: 3 Private Messages irockash

Why are there no pictures of the back?

xxtermin8rxxx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xxtermin8rxxx
irockash wrote:Why are there no pictures of the back?

Don't know why there aren't any, but the link I provided (to Amazon's product page) has a pic of the back, although not of an active screen.

Looks like a standard backside, though. Don't think the screen is touch-enabled, which would've been neat.

freefall86

quality posts: 4 Private Messages freefall86

Seems like a decent deal, but personally I'd spend an extra $100 to get the J1 from Nikon...

amosdudley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amosdudley

Seems like a decent camera. Apparently the lens is removable, but only Samsung makes lenses for the NX cameras (so you are pretty limited if you want a different lens. You can buy a lens adapter for somewhere in the 150-250 dollar price range, not sure how well those work.

Lenses made by samsung for these cameras cost more than the camera itself.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757451-REG/Samsung_EX_W16NB_16mm_f_2_4_Ultra_Wide.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757450-REG/Samsung_EX_L18200MB_18_200mm_f_3_5_6_3_ED_OIS.html

Those prices aren't out of the ordinary for mid-range consumer lenses.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I was researching this some this afternoon. Seems like a cool compact DSLR with an NX Lens mount. You can buy additional lenses and other accessories.

EDIT: I'm corrected below that it's not DSLR. Just interchangeable lens.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

NewMaster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages NewMaster
freefall86 wrote:Seems like a decent deal, but personally I'd spend an extra $100 to get the J1 from Nikon...

The Nikon will have faster performance, but the Samsung will have higher image quality, not just because it is 20 MP, but because its sensor more than three times larger.

milbournosphere

quality posts: 1 Private Messages milbournosphere

Here's a link to SnapSort's specs comparison between the two.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-J1-vs-Samsung-NX1000/specs

Bottom line...the Samsung has an APS-C sensor, as well as more available lenses (11 vs Nikon's 4). The nikon will shoot much faster (1/16000 vs 1/4000), and has a better burst frame rate (60fps vs 8fps). The Nikon has a built in flash, vs the external flash on the Samsung...but that comes in the box. Personally I'd choose the Samsung over the Nikon 1. I can't stand their CX sensor.

amosdudley

ThunderThighs wrote:I was researching this some this afternoon. Seems like a cool compact DSLR with an NX Lens mount.

Not a DSLR. This camera is mirrorless.

DaveFarmington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DaveFarmington

Does anyone know it's zoom capability?

amosdudley

DaveFarmington wrote:Does anyone know it's zoom capability?

In the description. 2.5x zoom with the lens it comes with. You can also buy telephoto lenses from Samsung for around 400 bucks.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

amosdudley wrote:Not a DSLR. This camera is mirrorless.

Oooooh, learned something! Thanks. I edited my comment above.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kennonkwok

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kennonkwok
freefall86 wrote:Seems like a decent deal, but personally I'd spend an extra $100 to get the J1 from Nikon...

The Samsung NX sensor is APS-C, much larger than the J1's Nikon CX sensor.

claynpotter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages claynpotter

I'm a Nikonian and own D70, D300, D800, and when I'm tired of carrying bigma, i use Canon sx50. I'll choose this over j1 just for image quality, not because of pixel ratio, but for bigger aps-c over cx sensor. Larger sensor means better with low lighting and better iso. Samsung has also better overall review.

kaitou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaitou

This is a good camera, but the lens is going to make it annoying. A 20-50mm lens on an 1.5 crop becomes 30-75, which is not wide enough at 30 nor is it really tele enough at 75. There's a reason most cameras come with 18-55 lenses.

The sensor is good otherwise, but a limited lens selection and the strange choice of the bundled lens are going to hinder things a bit.

west3man

quality posts: 6 Private Messages west3man

No one seems impressed with the internet capabilities of this bad boy. Maybe because there are more purists here than hobbyists (or whatever lower level I'm on).

But it'd be nice to exceed the image quality of the iPhone while retaining its ability to upload directly to various sites.

I was at a rally at the Capitol, recently, and wanted to have both, high quality images and quick FB uploads while onsite.

So, I had to quick switching from one device to the other.

Sucks mildly.

kencan420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kencan420

does anyone know how compatible this camera is with apple devices ?

kencan420

uhoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uhoo

Does anyone know for certain if the kit lens has OIS? The description (which is identical to the one at BH Photo) says it does:

"The 20-50mm lens zooms 2.5x and offers an aperture range of f/3.5-5.6. The OIS II optical stabilization ameliorates camera shake for any image";

but reviews and most other sites says that it doesn't. Not sure if there was a mistake in the original copy or they're including a different lens?

dickrourke

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dickrourke

No image stabilization in camera or supplied lens. Of course, the lens is not in any way telescopic, but...

happypuppy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages happypuppy
uhoo wrote:Does anyone know for certain if the kit lens has OIS? The description (which is identical to the one at BH Photo) says it does:

"The 20-50mm lens zooms 2.5x and offers an aperture range of f/3.5-5.6. The OIS II optical stabilization ameliorates camera shake for any image";

but reviews and most other sites says that it doesn't. Not sure if there was a mistake in the original copy or they're including a different lens?

I, too, would like to know this. It's a pretty big difference if this kit lens has OIS as the description reads... Woot?

revoke

quality posts: 3 Private Messages revoke
happypuppy wrote:I, too, would like to know this. It's a pretty big difference if this kit lens has OIS as the description reads... Woot?

The 20-50mm NX lens does NOT have OIS. I can confirm, because I own a NX camera from the first generation (the NX100) and it came with the 20-50mm. I believe only the 18-55mm, 50-200mm, and 18-200mm are the only Samy NX lenses with built in OIS (not sure if the 60mm or 85mm do, those are out my price range anyway).

The 20-50mm is so short and ridiculously light (plastic body) that OIS really wasn't needed IMO. It's a good little lens too, but I don't use it much anymore.

The NX primes, especially the 30mm f/2 are where the real value is at with the NX line. The have three nice pancakes (30mm, 20mm, and 16mm). I shoot all the time with these. Most NX lenses go for under 2 bills on the 'bay. Cheap system. Nice pictures. No resale value... so if you switch cameras a lot, don't get a Samy. If you plan on keeping it a while, nice cheap system to get into.

NX1000 bumps the sensor up to 20mp from 16mp over the gen 1 NX bodies. Adds remote viewfinder (with an Android phone), and faster performance. You lose the ability to use an EVF (but for the target of this entry level model, that's really not an issue).

If someone is really interested in the NX system, I'd tell them to wait until the NX300 or NX30 arrive (and drop in price after 6 months). The 3rd gens have the hybrid focus found on the Nikon 1 series.

So, someone else mentioned the J1 or V1 from Nikon. They focus FAST, but are limited by the tiny sensor. Samy's have a nice big sensor (that is capable of beautiful pictures) but the NX'es are generally too slow for action (as are most CSC). For action, you need a DSLR or hybrid auto-focus (phase+contrast).

Anyway, points to keep in mind with this or any CSC (including Sony NEX, Oly PEN-series, Canon EOS mini, Fuji's X, etc). They all have compact size, interchangeable lenses, nice pictures, but are generally too slow for anything other than stills (unless you count the HD movie features these all have).

OK, I've run my mouth enough. Buy or don't buy it. The NX1000 is a nice little camera. This a great price, but know what you're getting with a CSC.

MORE REVIEWS:
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samsung_nx1000_review/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407580,00.asp

http://www.t3.com/reviews/samsung-nx1000-review

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/samsung/nx1000/samsung-nx1000-review.html

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/samsung-nx1000-csc-wireless-review-19726

Enjoy! ...and Woot! ...where the goofy Pink version of the NX1000. The black seems so boring. The Pink version just screams, "I need to be sold on Woot!"

http://www.samsung.com/us/photography/digital-cameras/EV-NX1000BJPUS

3dgnome

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3dgnome

I totally love this camera!
I'm trying to convince the wife that we need a second one (via this smokin' deal).
I think she'll be onboard after coffee!

The 20-50mm lens does not have an OIS function. Many of the other NX lenses do have OIS (18-55mm, 50-200mm, 18-200mm, 60mm, etc.)

Wireless Apps work great on my Android phone.. For wife's Iphone, she needs to do an extra step to connect the camera.
(Not a big deal, but not as seamless).

tomduff87

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomduff87

In the opinion of the people who know cameras, is this overkill, or "too much camera" for someone that has no idea what they're doing, but is unhappy with their $99 little detachable-lens-less point and shoot digital camera and wants to shoot better quality photos? It's just on the cusp of what I would consider paying for a camera, so I'm torn.

pandasetebamboo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pandasetebamboo

I understand the speed and that The nikon will shoot much faster (1/16000 vs 1/4000) but those numbers don't mean a lot to me. What kind of delay between trying to take multiple photos will this have. We always seem to miss good shots after the first one because the camera is "thinking."

milbournosphere wrote:Here's a link to SnapSort's specs comparison between the two.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-J1-vs-Samsung-NX1000/specs

Bottom line...the Samsung has an APS-C sensor, as well as more available lenses (11 vs Nikon's 4). The nikon will shoot much faster (1/16000 vs 1/4000), and has a better burst frame rate (60fps vs 8fps). The Nikon has a built in flash, vs the external flash on the Samsung...but that comes in the box. Personally I'd choose the Samsung over the Nikon 1. I can't stand their CX sensor.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages billthegunowner

Folks, be aware this is not an SLR camera. Throw out $200 more and grab a Nikon or Canon SLR camera. You'll really be glad you did.

Bill

jolthammer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jolthammer

I saw this note on Steve's Digicams site, and this seems kinda weird for an SLR-feeling Type Camera - "Handling the NX1000 is incredibly easy. The body has a large grip on the right side of the camera that is textured just enough that it does not feel slippery. Shooting is very similar to using a dSLR, but if you do not purchase an optional EVF (Electronic Viewfinder), you will be forced to hold the camera away from your face to look at the LCD screen." If I snag one of these, I'll probably try to pick up an EVF.

aliusa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages aliusa

This is camera is bad-ass. I have the Sony Nex-5 and this guy is very comparable. And once you start using cameras like this one you will never enjoy using simple point and shoot cams.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
tomduff87 wrote:In the opinion of the people who know cameras, is this overkill, or "too much camera" for someone that has no idea what they're doing, but is unhappy with their $99 little detachable-lens-less point and shoot digital camera and wants to shoot better quality photos? It's just on the cusp of what I would consider paying for a camera, so I'm torn.

You sound sort of like I did when I was looking for a camera. Basically I wanted 1 camera that was really automated and could do a lot of things really well. After doing a bunch of research I went with a bridge superzoom and chose the Sony (actually the model before, this is the newer version). What is cool is that now I have a camera that takes great pictures, has a 30X zoom, an optical viewfinder for when you need it, and best of all takes really good HD video- so I no longer need a separate video camera. It's easy to use, has a bunch of manual settings if you're into that sort of thing. I just want something that can take a lot of pictures quickly and effortlessly with great results.

edit: this one is $279
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K551TO/ref=asc_df_B006K551TO2425465?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-257-78-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395097&creativeASIN=B006K551TO

here's a review to tell you about it:
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_cybershot_dsc_hx200v_review/

cameronpurdy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cameronpurdy
billthegunowner wrote:Folks, be aware this is not an SLR camera. Throw out $200 more and grab a Nikon or Canon SLR camera. You'll really be glad you did.

No, you won't. You'll have something that is twice as heavy, at least twice as bulky, has a tiny dark OVF tunnel to look through to compose pictures, and will gather dust sitting on a shelf at home.

If you're going to get a DSLR, do not waste your time on anything less than "full frame" with a bright ~100% OVF, e.g. Canon 5d iii or Nikon D600. Yes, it will be big and heavy, but at least there will be a reason for that ;-)

hashpling

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hashpling
claynpotter wrote:I'll choose this over j1 just for image quality, not because of pixel ratio, but for bigger aps-c over cx sensor. Larger sensor means better with low lighting and better iso. Samsung has also better overall review.

I felt like this might be what was going on. More money does not always mean better product.

CONSUMERISM!

Quiwi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Quiwi
pandasetebamboo wrote:I understand the speed and that The nikon will shoot much faster (1/16000 vs 1/4000) but those numbers don't mean a lot to me. What kind of delay between trying to take multiple photos will this have. We always seem to miss good shots after the first one because the camera is "thinking."

I am not a photographer but...

pandasetebamboo, I don't think the shutter speed is what you're interested in. 1/16000 vs 1/4000 represent the shortest time the front of the camera stays open, it's in seconds :-P (as in one four-thousandths of a second). It's usually used for freezing action (taking sports photos*) or maybe sunny day photos with a "wide-open" lens.

Somewhat more appropriately would be the burst frame rate. (60 frames per second (fps) vs 8fps) Usually burst fire on these cameras means you take a bunch of photos while you hold down the the shutter release button which is usually followed by a substantial amount of time when the camera is saving the pictures.

What you probably want is some shot-to-shot numbers. According to http://www.ephotozine.com/article/samsung-nx1000-csc-wireless-review-19726

Shutter Reponse <0.1
Wide - Focus / Shutter Response (20mm) 0.65
Full zoom - Focus / Shutter Response 0.6
Switch on Time to Taking a Photo 2.1
Shot to Shot (without flash) 1.8
Shot to Shot with Flash 1.8
Continuous Shooting (JPEG) 7fps (11 shots)
Continuous Shooting (with Flash) 2fps (11 shots)
Continuous Shooting (RAW) 6fps (8 shots)

It'll be just under 2 seconds between photos.

I'm sure someone can correct any fallacious statements I've made :-)

*edited to change shutter speed example from race cars. I like the blurry background panning shots. Also, a little bit of motion blur in sports photos can add a sense of action!

hashpling

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hashpling
cameronpurdy wrote:No, you won't. You'll have something that is twice as heavy, at least twice as bulky, has a tiny dark OVF tunnel to look through to compose pictures, and will gather dust sitting on a shelf at home.

If you're going to get a DSLR, do not waste your time on anything less than "full frame" with a bright ~100% OVF, e.g. Canon 5d iii or Nikon D600. Yes, it will be big and heavy, but at least there will be a reason for that ;-)

This is a good camera, but for $250,730.00 more, you could get a Maserati... so everyone, stop telling us to spend more money and get a different camera...

CONSUMERISM!

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
hashpling wrote:This is a good camera, but for $250,730.00 more, you could get a Maserati... so everyone, stop telling us to spend more money and get a different camera...

Yeah but for another 2.25 million, you could get this:

dreader

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreader

I apologize to those who have expressed great love for this Samsung camera in this Woot. I do not see how this camera can compare to the quality and inter-operability of the Nikon or Sony small format lens changeable cameras. For $500 you can get a Sony Alpha NEX-3NL/B, with a lens system which is fully interchangeable with the Sony Alpha DSLRs. It really compliments my Alpha DSLR and is the one I use for indoor or low light snaps. Takes awesome photos.

Texas Cybergal
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." - Sign in Albert Einstein's office

Hrel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hrel
kencan420 wrote:does anyone know how compatible this camera is with apple devices ?

LoL.