WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

HP Desktops & AOC Monitors

Computing power just keep getting cheaper. But the longer you wait for it to get even cheaper, the longer you go without. If these prices don't entice you to take the leap, you're probably going to be waiting for a long, long time.

radrdff


quality posts: 3 Private Messages radrdff

Whoa! Information overload! Can someone tell me which desktop is the best for playing Minecraft? I'm guessing it will also be the one that's best for playing Portal and for watching TV shows on Hulu. I have simple needs, what can I say?

vicemagnet


quality posts: 5 Private Messages vicemagnet

Looks like it has almost everything except a Blu-Ray drive and a touch screen. Still a fairly good deal.

omnimetal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages omnimetal

What do you mean on no mounting hardware included?

taotai


quality posts: 0 Private Messages taotai

I have one of the 23" AOCs now. It's pretty good. Make sure you use DVI though. I was using the VGA for a short time, and it was pretty bad.

ndk0911


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ndk0911

I really want one of these desktops. For about $150 you could fully upgrade your RAM and have one bad mambajamba!!

redorblack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages redorblack

Can't find any reviews of the P7-1467c, or anyone else selling it. Looking at the memory upgrade info on HP site, it has the medium speed DDR3 ram clocked at the lower level. The motherboard info says it can take the faster stuff... so the question is, how many of the 4 slots did they use to get the 12 gigs, either I suspect it has 2x 6Gb which would mean you could toss it for faster ram or add 2 more sticks of the slower stuff... hmmm.

drocpsu


quality posts: 2 Private Messages drocpsu

Does anyone know if these monitors are height-adjustable?

riothero


quality posts: 0 Private Messages riothero
taotai wrote:I have one of the 23" AOCs now. It's pretty good. Make sure you use DVI though. I was using the VGA for a short time, and it was pretty bad.



I have a 23" AOC also. The one you can pull off the stand and lean it on your desk like a picture frame. It runs through DVI and I think it's a great monitor for the money. In both picture quality and aesthetics.

riothero


quality posts: 0 Private Messages riothero
drocpsu wrote:Does anyone know if these monitors are height-adjustable?



You cant tilt it 3 degrees forward and 20 degrees backward but as far as I know there is no up and down height adjustment.

matthewjfazio


quality posts: 3 Private Messages matthewjfazio

Windows 8 with no touchscreen is a big deal killer for me.

I have another AIO by HP loaded with Win8 and a touchscreen and it's great for what it does. Woot's model has a better video card and I was tempted before I saw that glaring omission.

Say what you want, I think Win8 is too confusing to get around with just the mouse.

- Matthew J. Fazio

achoren


quality posts: 0 Private Messages achoren

What kind of warranty comes with the monitors? AOC typically does 1 year; refurb products often are 30 days. Anybody?

barthumphries


quality posts: 1 Private Messages barthumphries

Windows 8 all by itself is a deal killer for me. Also, "AMD Trinity" doesn't show up at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php (nothing is even named trinity on the list) so I'm just presuming that the processor is a piece of crap.

Let's see, Windows 8 bans M-rated ("violent") games from Metro (amongst other types of games), so I can't support that. Not to mention, Notepad and Paint suddenly become singleton programs and I really like keeping notes in 2-3 Notepad windows because it starts up so darn fast. I've tried Windows 8 touchscreen and you pretty much have to have a mouse as well. Take the three hidden taskbars -- can only be opened with a mouse, not a finger pointer. In the Windows 8 store or in the Control Panel, there's no way to gently scroll with a finger, only a mouse, so unless you really want a touchscreen for a game or something, the whole finger thing is pretty much useless and you're going to have to use the mouse. Then there's the lack of personalization re: the colors of all the Metro squares and their size, and those Metro colors are really ugly. The "turn my computer off" button is buried two menus deep in a hidden taskbar (and as previously mentioned you can only open a taskbar with a mouse). Even when you are doing something with a touchscreen, the monitor isn't as close to your lap as your keyboard is, so your arms aren't in neutral position -- it's annoying to always be bringing your hands up to chest height and if you keep them up for a couple hours blood will drain out and they'll start to go numb. It's basically impossible to download pictures then easily put them into your My Pictures folder. You have to specifically Search for it unless you want to waste the double screen real estate in Metro to have it always hanging around (and even then it's a pain to move the pictures). Same with downloaded music. Windows 8 comes preloaded with a whole bunch of crap that's designed to run all the time in the background and slow your computer down -- even if you don't own an Xbox there are multiple Metro programs designed to prompt you to buy things for the Xbox or otherwise interface with it, even though you can't play any of your Xbox games with the Xbox Live that comes preloaded on Windows 8. Not to mention the Email, Calendar apps and the super-bloated Internet Explorer, even though I use Gmail, Google Calendar, and Chrome (because there's no bloat and far more control over extensions). Because of all the preloaded crap, everything is slower. Even modern games that only look 8-bit, like like Cthulhu Saves the World, run slower on Windows 8. Every game I own runs slower on Windows 8 (and did you remember that Microsoft is going to ban all "violent" games in the future -- they're already currently banned from Metro and Microsoft says it'll remove the desktop in the next Windows iteration). Actually getting in to anything worthwhile requires me to babysit my computer, start it up, click through that, click through that, click into the desktop. I can't start it up, run into the bathroom to pee and have everything up when I get back. If I want to run low power, in Windows 7 it takes 4 mouse clicks to change the power settings to run differently because I'm say watching a Hulu show or whatever and I don't want the screen to shut off or to shut off after a few minutes because I'm walking away from the computer. In Windows 8, those 4 mouse clicks become 8 mouseclicks, and typing, and scrolling around. Not to mention how everything doesn't fit on my extreme-wide-screen monitor (treated as a regular monitor that's stretched). Windows 8 just sucks, period. I can't think of anything that it does better than Windows 7 and I've just scraped the top of my list of things that it does poorer than Windows 7. Preloaded Windows 8 is a major dealbreaker for me.

dleuschke


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dleuschke

The Trinity is in AMD's A10 series. Tom's hardware benchmarked the A10-5800 (although not a 5800, at least one of these is a 5700). For what it is worth, the 5800 did pretty well for an AMD cpu.

When you buy AMD, you're buying "good enough" for fairly significant cost savings.

Also, I have four of the AOCs (two of each size, all from Woot, all refurbs). No problems after two months, color is a little cool, contrast is not spectacular, but for the price I have no regrets.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-performance-comparison,3370-11.html

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

achoren wrote:What kind of warranty comes with the monitors? AOC typically does 1 year; refurb products often are 30 days. Anybody?



Warranties are always listed at the bottom of the Features tab on the product detail page. Both the AOC monitors have a 90-day AOC warranty.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

nleksan


quality posts: 2 Private Messages nleksan
redorblack wrote:Can't find any reviews of the P7-1467c, or anyone else selling it. Looking at the memory upgrade info on HP site, it has the medium speed DDR3 ram clocked at the lower level. The motherboard info says it can take the faster stuff... so the question is, how many of the 4 slots did they use to get the 12 gigs, either I suspect it has 2x 6Gb which would mean you could toss it for faster ram or add 2 more sticks of the slower stuff... hmmm.



6GB DIMM's are not made; with DDR3 you have 1GB (extremely uncommon), 2GB (has become very uncommon), 4GB (ideal, extremely common), 8GB (overkill for many/most people), and 16GB (servers only; in form of Registered ECC/Full-Buffered RAM).

Having worked on countless pre-built rigs, I would bet anything that it is packing 2x 4GB DIMMs and 2x 2GB DIMMs.
This is not ideal, as the memory IC's are going to inherently be different (as they are different sizes), but I would also bet anything that the reason this is done is because:
1) HP needs to clear stock of who-knows-how-many "old" 2GB DIMMs
2) A computer with "12GB of RAM!" sounds better than "8GB of RAM!"
3) Average consumer goes by quantity, and more is better (holds true for memory, hard drives [most ppl will buy 2TB "green" drives over 1TB much-faster drives], processors [people will buy whatever has more cores or, if the same, whatever has the higher clock speed], monitors [bigger is better, often with no regard to resolution], etc)
4) HP realizes that they can simply take an existing desktop model, add a pair of 2GB DIMMs to the existing pair of 4GB DIMMs, and "create" a "new model"
5) This "new model" has maybe $10 worth of extra components, but costs $50-100 more
6) HP PROFITS because people don't know differently

-------

These AMD APU's are actually extremely competent "daily driver" processors, and will be more than sufficient for 99% of "home desktop" needs. The other 1% build their own PC's (as I do), and don't use them just for "typical desktop" uses...

HOWEVER...

The way HP builds these machines, there are a few RED FLAGS:
1) They use an MSI motherboard
2) They quote "CPU SUPPORT FOR" DDR3-1866, which means they won't support it as it is technically overclocking
3) They are using a non-standard form factor that is a variation of uATX so you cannot use anything other than a replacement made specifically for HP
4) The Power Supply is rated for 300W using a 230V input; that means it is only going to produce around ~260-275W with a 120V input (USA); however, being a VERY generic and non-standard unit, it is likely that is only outputs ~210-230W and is only ~50-60% efficient
5) Don't even THINK of adding a discrete GPU unless you want to buy a new PSU, case, motherboard, etc


If these weren't SO locked-down by HP, or at the very least were upgradeable using standard form-factor products, they would not be bad at all!
HOWEVER! THEY ARE NEITHER!

BE AN INFORMED CONSUMER!

riothero


quality posts: 0 Private Messages riothero
nleksan wrote:
2) They quote "CPU SUPPORT FOR" DDR3-1866, which means they won't support it as it is technically overclocking



I have the 5800k black edition. I have it in dual graphics with everything overclocked. CPU,Internal GPU, discrete GPU in dual graphics and my memory.

For some reason AMD says it will only support 1866 memory but, mine runs 2133 just fine. Although it won't run at 2400. The ram speed gives a pretty big boost in frame rate if you are using the on board gpu be it in dual graphics or not.

ImpalaTommy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ImpalaTommy
barthumphries wrote:Windows 8 all by itself is a deal killer for me. Also, "AMD Trinity" doesn't show up at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php (nothing is even named trinity on the list) so I'm just presuming that the processor is a piece of crap.

Let's see, Windows 8 bans M-rated ("violent") games from Metro (amongst other types of games), so I can't support that. Not to mention, Notepad and Paint suddenly become singleton programs and I really like keeping notes in 2-3 Notepad windows because it starts up so darn fast. I've tried Windows 8 touchscreen and you pretty much have to have a mouse as well. Take the three hidden taskbars -- can only be opened with a mouse, not a finger pointer. In the Windows 8 store or in the Control Panel, there's no way to gently scroll with a finger, only a mouse, so unless you really want a touchscreen for a game or something, the whole finger thing is pretty much useless and you're going to have to use the mouse. Then there's the lack of personalization re: the colors of all the Metro squares and their size, and those Metro colors are really ugly. The "turn my computer off" button is buried two menus deep in a hidden taskbar (and as previously mentioned you can only open a taskbar with a mouse). Even when you are doing something with a touchscreen, the monitor isn't as close to your lap as your keyboard is, so your arms aren't in neutral position -- it's annoying to always be bringing your hands up to chest height and if you keep them up for a couple hours blood will drain out and they'll start to go numb. It's basically impossible to download pictures then easily put them into your My Pictures folder. You have to specifically Search for it unless you want to waste the double screen real estate in Metro to have it always hanging around (and even then it's a pain to move the pictures). Same with downloaded music. Windows 8 comes preloaded with a whole bunch of crap that's designed to run all the time in the background and slow your computer down -- even if you don't own an Xbox there are multiple Metro programs designed to prompt you to buy things for the Xbox or otherwise interface with it, even though you can't play any of your Xbox games with the Xbox Live that comes preloaded on Windows 8. Not to mention the Email, Calendar apps and the super-bloated Internet Explorer, even though I use Gmail, Google Calendar, and Chrome (because there's no bloat and far more control over extensions). Because of all the preloaded crap, everything is slower. Even modern games that only look 8-bit, like like Cthulhu Saves the World, run slower on Windows 8. Every game I own runs slower on Windows 8 (and did you remember that Microsoft is going to ban all "violent" games in the future -- they're already currently banned from Metro and Microsoft says it'll remove the desktop in the next Windows iteration). Actually getting in to anything worthwhile requires me to babysit my computer, start it up, click through that, click through that, click into the desktop. I can't start it up, run into the bathroom to pee and have everything up when I get back. If I want to run low power, in Windows 7 it takes 4 mouse clicks to change the power settings to run differently because I'm say watching a Hulu show or whatever and I don't want the screen to shut off or to shut off after a few minutes because I'm walking away from the computer. In Windows 8, those 4 mouse clicks become 8 mouseclicks, and typing, and scrolling around. Not to mention how everything doesn't fit on my extreme-wide-screen monitor (treated as a regular monitor that's stretched). Windows 8 just sucks, period. I can't think of anything that it does better than Windows 7 and I've just scraped the top of my list of things that it does poorer than Windows 7. Preloaded Windows 8 is a major dealbreaker for me.



I concur, I mistakedly purchased a new desktop with Windows 8 and am so frustrated that I will probably purchase Windows 7 and go back to that which worked great for me.

mrbarister


quality posts: 29 Private Messages mrbarister
ImpalaTommy wrote:I concur, I mistakedly purchased a new desktop with Windows 8 and am so frustrated that I will probably purchase Windows 7 and go back to that which worked great for me.



Just be careful. I downgraded from Vista to XP to play a computer game, and found there are no drivers compatible with my older version of Windows, but maybe things are different now. I really hate that Windows is pushing "morality" on people, and I hope Google steps up with a PC operating system soon. I'd hate to have to turn into an iSheep.

pcharovk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pcharovk

For those that dont like the Win8 GUI but like the inherent OS improvements, try Classic Shell:
http://www.classicshell.net/

Pokki is a nice interface too: http://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu

And for the person who likes opening multiple notepad windows, give Notepad++ a try. http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ImpalaTommy wrote:I concur, I mistakedly purchased a new desktop with Windows 8 and am so frustrated that I will probably purchase Windows 7 and go back to that which worked great for me.



You may have downgrade rights already.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dlcj21


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlcj21
ImpalaTommy wrote:I concur, I mistakedly purchased a new desktop with Windows 8 and am so frustrated that I will probably purchase Windows 7 and go back to that which worked great for me.



I grabbed windows 8 for $39.99 when they were having a sale. I threw it on my laptop. Windows 8 without a touch screen isn't bad. You can easily simulate a windows 7 environment if you just hit "Desktop" on the start menu. Once you're there everything behaves like windows 7 (almost identical if you ask me). The only difference is you have a different start menu and you just mouse and click to the bottom left corner to bring up the start menu instead of clicking a physical button.

In desktop view it's exactly like windows 7. Downgrading to windows 7 from windows 8 really doesn't make much sense to me.

Windows 8 is really just windows 7 with a few different UI components and touch friendly cheaper versions of office.

I have it on 2 of my 3 pcs and really like i said once you're on the desktop, it performs no different than windows 7. The only reason I haven't thrown it on my desktop is because I don't feel like paying for dvd playback and my son watches dvds on my computer all the time.

cabbageloins


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cabbageloins
ImpalaTommy wrote:I concur, I mistakedly purchased a new desktop with Windows 8 and am so frustrated that I will probably purchase Windows 7 and go back to that which worked great for me.



I upgraded to 8, and I just ignore the Metro interface. I click 'Desktop', and then the layout is nearly identical to Win 7. The improvements to load times and the nuts and bolts of the OS that Windows 8 provides is worth this one extra mouse click, in my estimation.

spacelunatic


quality posts: 4 Private Messages spacelunatic
cabbageloins wrote:I upgraded to 8, and I just ignore the Metro interface. I click 'Desktop', and then the layout is nearly identical to Win 7. The improvements to load times and the nuts and bolts of the OS that Windows 8 provides is worth this one extra mouse click, in my estimation.




Same here.

In addition to the free "Classic Shell" there is a $5 addon getting good reviews too from Stardock called ModernMix. Article here http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-tip-run-metro-apps-windows-desktop

List of Win 8 keyboard shortcuts: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/windows-8-keyboard-shortcuts/

Windows Logo key + D will take you to the Desktop

matthewjfazio


quality posts: 3 Private Messages matthewjfazio
cabbageloins wrote:I upgraded to 8, and I just ignore the Metro interface. I click 'Desktop', and then the layout is nearly identical to Win 7. The improvements to load times and the nuts and bolts of the OS that Windows 8 provides is worth this one extra mouse click, in my estimation.



Double same here. I'm not a HUGE fan of Windows 8, but the guys here posting are a little over the top with their experienced "problems." If the system is running slower, it's something you did or forgot to do: never had any speed issues with Win8 at all.

Also that problem with MS not allowing Mature games has been straightened out:

http://gizmodo.com/5954976/microsofts-windows-store-will-sell-games-rated-mature

- Matthew J. Fazio