WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Before any of us heard the term "graphic novel", we all loved books that told their stories through a combination of words and pictures. Do the eight images below, each taken from the cover of a classic children's book, stir any long-lost literary memories of your own?

eight details from children's books

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

If you liked this story, you won't want to miss a single adventure of the Trivial Eye!

Cerrida

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Cerrida

1. Snowy Day: Ezra Jack Keats
2. Frog and Toad: Arnold Lobel
3. Hungry Caterpillar: Eric Carle
4. Madeline
5. never read it
6. Mother Goose
7. Danny and the Dinosaur
8. The Little Red House

Cerrida: Preschool Teacher

sprkmaker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sprkmaker

I was about to answer then saw you got most of them. great job! I didnt know number 5 either (or number 8 really).

Cerrida wrote:1. Snowy Day: Ezra Jack Keats
2. Frog and Toad: Arnold Lobel
3. Hungry Caterpillar: Eric Carle
4. Madeline
5. never read it
6. Mother Goose
7. Danny and the Dinosaur
8. The Little Red House

Cerrida: Preschool Teacher

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I can't believe I couldn't answer all of these.

Maybe because you end up reading the same books over and over and over again.
Hubby loved Frog and Toad.

btw, you may forget the words to those books, but you'll never forget the cadence. I can hum or sing so many kids books!

I need a grandkid!
I still have the beanbag to sit in.
Anyone want to drop a little kid off for an hour of reading?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

aardwolf64

quality posts: 15 Private Messages aardwolf64

We have number 8 at our house... I last read it to our 3-year old a couple of months ago.

I've never seen number 5 either.

sprkmaker wrote:I was about to answer then saw you got most of them. great job! I didnt know number 5 either (or number 8 really).

x9

aardwolf64

quality posts: 15 Private Messages aardwolf64

I used Google Goggles... Book 5 is "This is New York" by Miroslav Sasek.

aardwolf64 wrote:We have number 8 at our house... I last read it to our 3-year old a couple of months ago.

I've never seen number 5 either.

x9

sprkmaker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sprkmaker

The answers are given at the bottom of the original post...but THANKS for introducing me to google goggles! I've heard of this feature, but never remembered to download the app!

aardwolf64 wrote:I used Google Goggles... Book 5 is "This is New York" by Miroslav Sasek.

die13lda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages die13lda

I also never read #5. I don't remember the story for #8, but the illustration looks familiar.

Of these 8, Danny and the Dinosaur was my favorite. My All-Time Most Favoritest Book EVER! when I was little was Thunderhoof by Syd Hoff (the same author as Danny and the Dinosaur). Thunderhoof was the first word I learned to read, and by read, I mean my mom would pause and I would excitedly say the horse's name. Thrilling literature of the highest caliber that book is.

bsmith1

quality posts: 111 Private Messages bsmith1
sprkmaker wrote:The answers are given at the bottom of the original post...but THANKS for introducing me to google goggles! I've heard of this feature, but never remembered to download the app!

Also, you can use Google Image search from your computer to match on similar photos.
-Go here: http://www.google.com/imghp

-Click the Camera on the right of the search box

-Paste the URL of the image in question (or upload one) and search!

This one is tricky because it's really 1 image file that's a composite of all the images, so you'd have to save it and crop it then upload it to find a specific book cover.
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/429aa54e-dce7-4619-bb1c-a721847dccea.jpg

Cheating FTW!

sueberger3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sueberger3

Whatever you remember best from your childhood is great Literature. It kept you reading and loving story.
I knw the first four and while I know my mother Goose, I kept thinking that picture looked like an OZ illustration.

ntorborg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ntorborg

I'm an elementary school librarian. I make me sad when young children are push into chapter books by their parents; they are missing beautifully illustrated classic book, and cultural references.

The #5 "This is New York" looked stingily familiar. When I saw the title, I remembered there was a whole series when I was a kid (the '60's): This is Rome, This is Paris, etc. I think they're a throwback to the Age of Pan Am ( a reference surely lost on many readers here).

Dex15

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Dex15

Wow. I actually didn't know any of these from my youth. I remember reading a lot when I was that young (and a lot when I wasn't that young), but none of these books are familiar to me from that era (even after reading the answers).

I did know the answer to #3 though, but not because of my youth, because of my daughter's youth. It was a random book I picked up at the store for her years ago.
-Dex