schmaffy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages schmaffy
moneyfornothing wrote:Is it fast? I am looking forward to the fast boot times!!

Yeah, it's pretty fast. It's cosmetically in perfect condition, and the keyboard is an absolute dream. Setup was no problem.

There's just one thing - there is no CD/DVD drive...at all. Now - have I missed something REALLLLLY obvious, or do I have a lemon? Kinda silly to include a recovery disc when there's nowhere to put it.

Anybody know? And please don't laugh at me. I'm not a Huckleberry Hound. Really.

schmaffy

schmaffy wrote:Yeah, it's pretty fast. It's cosmetically in perfect condition, and the keyboard is an absolute dream. Setup was no problem.

There's just one thing - there is no CD/DVD drive...at all. Now - have I missed something REALLLLLY obvious, or do I have a lemon? Kinda silly to include a recovery disc when there's nowhere to put it.

Anybody know? And please don't laugh at me. I'm not a Huckleberry Hound. Really.

And Woot just changed my word choice to Huckleberry Hound. How strange...

cbrange

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbrange
schmaffy wrote:Yeah, it's pretty fast. It's cosmetically in perfect condition, and the keyboard is an absolute dream. Setup was no problem.

I've had mine unboxed for a few hours doing all the Windows updates, setting things up, etc, and upon seeing your post I am equally perplexed. Just a blank place holder where my optical drive is supposed to be.

I went back to the specs page - I was expecting an optical drive as listed. Now what?

EDIT: However, BACKLIT KEYBOARD FTW. Fn+Right Arrow lit me up, made my day...again.

schmaffy

cbrange wrote:I've had mine unboxed for a few hours doing all the Windows updates, setting things up, etc, and upon seeing your post I am equally perplexed. Just a blank place holder where my optical drive is supposed to be.

I went back to the specs page - I was expecting an optical drive as listed. Now what?

EDIT: However, BACKLIT KEYBOARD FTW. Fn+Right Arrow lit me up, made my day...again.

Glad I'm not the only one...I guess. I'm not sure what to do either. I thought the specs were pretty clear.

That backlit keyboard IS real purty, though.

moneyfornothing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moneyfornothing
schmaffy wrote:Glad I'm not the only one...I guess. I'm not sure what to do either. I thought the specs were pretty clear.

That backlit keyboard IS real purty, though.

Glad it has the backlit keyboard....But Woot did promise a DVD drive....

"SuperMulti DVD±RW drive - watch movies on your computer; read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats"

Woot?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

moneyfornothing wrote:Glad it has the backlit keyboard....But Woot did promise a DVD drive....

"SuperMulti DVD±RW drive - watch movies on your computer; read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats"

Woot?

Sorry for the late reply.
It seems as though this is a growing issue.

I've reported this to Woot Member Services. I will repost with any information I can find.

If anyone is experiencing the same problem, we recommend that you contact Woot at support@woot.com and let them know what's going on.
They're answer any questions or concerns you may have.

iraallen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iraallen

Mine came yesterday. The missing pixel in the center of the screen? I can live with this. The missing DVD drive? This I can't live with. I'll post when I get a response from the vendor (Metro PC).

moneyfornothing

I would gladly take a $50 credit in lieu of the DVD drive.

iraallen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iraallen

As I promised, here is the response from the vendor, Metro PC, to my complaint about the missing pixels and the missing DVD drive:

"The E5430 does not come with an optical drive; the advertising on the Woot website is wrong. I can set up an RMA to have the computer returned for replacement with same model, (which would solve your display issue). If you wish to return the computer for a refund, however, then you must contact Woot to do so. Please advise. Thank you."

schmaffy

iraallen wrote:As I promised, here is the response from the vendor, Metro PC, to my complaint about the missing pixels and the missing DVD drive:

"The E5430 does not come with an optical drive; the advertising on the Woot website is wrong. I can set up an RMA to have the computer returned for replacement with same model, (which would solve your display issue). If you wish to return the computer for a refund, however, then you must contact Woot to do so. Please advise. Thank you."

Well, as was suggested by a Woot staff member above, I contacted Woot support and have already received a response. I'm forwarding them some additional information tonight, and will post the resolution when I have it.

moneyfornothing

schmaffy wrote:Well, as was suggested by a Woot staff member above, I contacted Woot support and have already received a response. I'm forwarding them some additional information tonight, and will post the resolution when I have it.

So either send it in for a return, or deal with it? I think they should give a credit...

moneyfornothing

My battery seems DOA. No charge upon arrival...have had it plugged in for good 15 or 20 minutes, yet the battery hasnt charged a bit.

schmaffy

moneyfornothing wrote:So either send it in for a return, or deal with it? I think they should give a credit...

Well, I really like the machine and would like to keep it. So I hope they either send me a drive and a Visa card to pay someone to install it (because why should I?), or issue a credit large enough to pay for the purchase and installation of a drive. If not that, I'd be happy to accept a new machine from Dell that includes the drive as advertised.

moneyfornothing

moneyfornothing wrote:My battery seems DOA. No charge upon arrival...have had it plugged in for good 15 or 20 minutes, yet the battery hasnt charged a bit.

Won't charge at all./ Just going to request a refund. Try and find another computer with SSD somewhere else.

moneyfornothing

moneyfornothing wrote:Won't charge at all./ Just going to request a refund. Try and find another computer with SSD somewhere else.

UPDATE: Messed around with the Dell Battery software. It was set for adaptive charging. Changed it to Standard, and seems to be charging now.

moneyfornothing

schmaffy wrote:Well, I really like the machine and would like to keep it. So I hope they either send me a drive and a Visa card to pay someone to install it (because why should I?), or issue a credit large enough to pay for the purchase and installation of a drive. If not that, I'd be happy to accept a new machine from Dell that includes the drive as advertised.

I like the machine as well. Hopefully Woot will do something for us....the drives dont look to be cheap...

deebodoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deebodoo

I purchased one of these and am also concerned about the lack of the "supermulti DVD+RW Drive". Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow so I will post about it when received. I would appreciate more comments from others who also ordered this laptop on what to do about obtaining a Drive (especially regarding how WOOT responds to the issue). Thanks!

schmaffy

deebodoo wrote:I purchased one of these and am also concerned about the lack of the "supermulti DVD+RW Drive". Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow so I will post about it when received. I would appreciate more comments from others who also ordered this laptop on what to do about obtaining a Drive (especially regarding how WOOT responds to the issue). Thanks!

I'll definitely keep you posted.

AmrineA

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AmrineA

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who wondered where the DVD drive is. I thought I lost my mind. I had specifically went out to Dell's web site to price check it against a new model with the same specs. At that time, I don't believe the backlit keyboard was known, but the DVD-RW drive was definitely listed as an option if I remember. According to Dell, the DVD-RW option and backlit keyboard are the same price if that's any consolation to anyone (even though the DVD drive without burning capabilities is included at no additional cost).

moneyfornothing

deebodoo wrote:I purchased one of these and am also concerned about the lack of the "supermulti DVD+RW Drive". Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow so I will post about it when received. I would appreciate more comments from others who also ordered this laptop on what to do about obtaining a Drive (especially regarding how WOOT responds to the issue). Thanks!

They are not cheap. Looks like according to Google Shopping, they are between $50 and $65 dollars. Plus you will have to install it, which is pretty easy however.

I do love the backlit keyboard, and overall the computer runs really well. Just wish I had the cd drive that was promised...We will see that Woot says.

riponfrosh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riponfrosh

No DVD Drive here either! I'm nearly 100% positive that it was listed as having one when I purchased, but now the "specs" say no optical drive. Did woot! change the specs after I purchased it? Pretty shady...

Should I send something to Woot! about this? I know some of you have already. I would prefer to keep the computer and not have to deal with the hassle of sending it back to be replaced. I'd be happy to just either have a drive sent to me or get a monetary equivalent to purchase the missing drive.

moneyfornothing

riponfrosh wrote:No DVD Drive here either! I'm nearly 100% positive that it was listed as having one when I purchased, but now the "specs" say no optical drive. Did woot! change the specs after I purchased it? Pretty shady...

Should I send something to Woot! about this? I know some of you have already. I would prefer to keep the computer and not have to deal with the hassle of sending it back to be replaced. I'd be happy to just either have a drive sent to me or get a monetary equivalent to purchase the missing drive.

You are right, it was advertised as having one. They changed the spec page...But it was listed as:

"SuperMulti DVD±RW drive - watch movies on your computer; read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats

riponfrosh

moneyfornothing wrote:You are right, it was advertised as having one.

That's what I thought. One of the reasons I purchased this was that it had an optical drive in case I needed it... So should we all be sending something to woot about this?

EDIT: Just sent a "complaint" to woot. I guess we'll see what happens. I still think it's pretty shady that they changed the specs...

bbb22183

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbb22183

Scheduled delivery tomorrow. If I wanted something without an optical drive, I would have bought a tablet. My first purchase from woot in over 4 years. Maybe my last. I think I would have noticed the lack of DVD drive. If they did indeed change the description, that's reprehensible.

absolootbs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages absolootbs

add me to the list of people who bought this laptop, has received this laptop, likes this laptop... but has no dvd drive in this laptop.

i'll be sending something woot's way as soon as i post this.

cbrange

I got this email this afternoon, so they're definitely working on it.

"Sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately, this issue has affected multiple orders, and we are working on finding the best and quickest resolution to this problem. We will let you know in a follow up email how we will be rectifying the situation. We’re very sorry for the inconvenience."

The fact they changed the specs could just be to reflect what actually shipped, no one thinks they can pull a fast one on any half-savvy wooters. I doubt they will be able to ship us all optical drives or give $50 back when they didn't even make that much on the transaction, but we'll see.

riponfrosh

cbrange wrote:I doubt they will be able to ship us all optical drives or give $50 back when they didn't even make that much on the transaction, but we'll see.

I agree that asking for 10-15% discount on a woot item may be a bit optimistic, but this is a pretty significant laptop accessory that was advertised and not included. They might as well have swapped out the SSD for a platter HD while they were at it, as for many people, the lack of an optical drive is just as significant... and I'm sure a LOT of wooters who purchased this laptop wouldn't have considered purchasing it at all had it been advertised correctly.

daviskvt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daviskvt

Mine did not have DVD drive either. Why would they include dvd of the operating system and also software to burn DVDs if there was not an optical dirve. Humm. I sent an email to Woot. This was my first purchase and might be my last if no compensation.

rcnixon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcnixon

No DVD ROM drive!

schmaffy

daviskvt wrote:Mine did not have DVD drive either. Why would they include dvd of the operating system and also software to burn DVDs if there was not an optical dirve. Humm. I sent an email to Woot. This was my first purchase and might be my last if no compensation.

I thought the same thing. What a tease to have all the Roxio, etc. stuff installed and on the desktop with NO DRIVE to burn anything to! I thought I was going crazy.

Woot emailed me yesterday asking for the serial number of the machine. I sent it last night and haven't heard anything back yet. I'll keep you all posted.

moneyfornothing

cbrange wrote:

The fact they changed the specs could just be to reflect what actually shipped, no one thinks they can pull a fast one on any half-savvy wooters. I doubt they will be able to ship us all optical drives or give $50 back when they didn't even make that much on the transaction, but we'll see.

I am being optimistic. Sometimes when you run a business, you have to take a short term loss for the greater cause of customer satisfaction.

riponfrosh

moneyfornothing wrote:I am being optimistic. Sometimes when you run a business, you have to take a short term loss for the greater cause of customer satisfaction.

I agree. I check woot daily, use it a fair bit and refer people to it all the time. Not saying I am the most important customer ever, but sites like this live and die by customer satisfaction. I tend to give businesses that screw up and then "make it right" even more credit than those that got it right the first time. Strange, i know, but I feel like they truly want to go the extra mile to make up for their mistake. I'm really hoping woot doesn't disappoint.

absolootbs

cbrange wrote:I got this email this afternoon, so they're definitely working on it.

"Sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately, this issue has affected multiple orders, and we are working on finding the best and quickest resolution to this problem. We will let you know in a follow up email how we will be rectifying the situation. We’re very sorry for the inconvenience."

got the same one, just now. *fingers crossed*

riponfrosh wrote:I agree. I check woot daily, use it a fair bit and refer people to it all the time. Not saying I am the most important customer ever, but sites like this live and die by customer satisfaction. I tend to give businesses that screw up and then "make it right" even more credit than those that got it right the first time. Strange, i know, but I feel like they truly want to go the extra mile to make up for their mistake. I'm really hoping woot doesn't disappoint.

+1

moneyfornothing

riponfrosh wrote:I agree. I check Woot daily, use it a fair bit and refer people to it all the time. Not saying I am the most important customer ever, but sites like this live and die by customer satisfaction. I tend to give businesses that screw up and then "make it right" even more credit than those that got it right the first time. Strange, i know, but I feel like they truly want to go the extra mile to make up for their mistake. I'm really hoping woot doesn't disappoint.

I refer clients here as well. I actually had a client order one of these on my recommendation. I also refered clients for other computers here, desktops, etc. So how they handle this will determine how I will refer clients in the future.

I did just receive this email:

Sorry to hear about the missing optical drive. This issue has actually affected multiple orders, so we are working hard on finding the best and quickest resolution to this problem. We will let you know in a follow up email (sometime today, I'd assume) how we will be rectifying the situation. Again, we’re very sorry for the inconvenience, and your continued patience is appreciated.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

riponfrosh wrote:I agree. I check woot daily, use it a fair bit and refer people to it all the time. Not saying I am the most important customer ever, but sites like this live and die by customer satisfaction. I tend to give businesses that screw up and then "make it right" even more credit than those that got it right the first time. Strange, i know, but I feel like they truly want to go the extra mile to make up for their mistake. I'm really hoping woot doesn't disappoint.

we certainly appreciate that. (frankly, staff badge aside, i tend to be the same way. something about the human element, i suppose.)

as the email said, we're working on finding a resolution. i hope it's satisfactory for you all and makes up for the disappointment. keep an eye on your inbox for updates.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

schmaffy

PemberDucky wrote:we certainly appreciate that. (frankly, staff badge aside, i tend to be the same way. something about the human element, i suppose.)

as the email said, we're working on finding a resolution. i hope it's satisfactory for you all and makes up for the disappointment. keep an eye on your inbox for updates.

Tease. ;)

JonnyPancake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JonnyPancake

Mine is missing the drive as well. I wouldn't have noticed except I got a $30 refund from woot through paypal, which made me come check this page to see what the deal was. Anyone else get a refund?

cbrange

JonnyPancake wrote:Mine is missing the drive as well. I wouldn't have noticed except I got a $30 refund from woot through paypal, which made me come check this page to see what the deal was. Anyone else get a refund?

Also got $30 refund, about an hour ago.

riponfrosh

Huh, haven't received anything yet. I paid with a Credit Card though, so that may take awhile to show up. $30 is fair, at least to me. You can certainly pick up a decent external (or internal)optical drive for $30 on Amazon or the like. REALLY glad I didn't have to deal with some BS like sending the laptop back. Once I see $30 back on my CC I'll be happy...

EDIT...Just got the email. I'm satisfied. Good job woot! Way to make things right and even offer a full refund. But are people really going to return this? I like it, and now with woot's refund it became a $375 intel powered, SSD, business grade laptop. Pretty hard to beat that.

So, way to mess up our order woot!...

absolootbs

just received the following email from woot. i'm assuming the rest of you probably did too. or, if not, you probably will be soon enough. not quite the full cost of purchasing the drive by itself, but certainly does not go unappreciated as an effort to make things right. i'm content. onward and upward...

So, here's the thing. We made a little mistake in the specs for your Dell Latitude E5430 we sold about a week ago. Yeah, that one. The one that we said had an optical drive. The one that ACTUALLY had an inactive space filler where the optical drive SHOULD have been. That's our bad, and we feel really dumb about it, which means there's only one thing to do: beg you to forgive us.

The first half of that begging: a small refund. We're gonna give you $30 back, right now, applied to your credit card or whatever you used to make the purchase. Do nothing, it's on the way! But if you still feel betrayed… well, we've got a solution for that too.

If you want to return the laptop and get the rest of your money, just give us a shout! We'll send you a return label so you can return it at our expense. And you'll still get that $30 refund right now, like everybody else, but you'll also get the remainder of your refund just as soon as our wayward laptop comes home. A refund in full. Make sense?

And let us just say right now: we're sorry. And we hope to do better by you next time.

Sheepishly,
Woot.com