Philmatic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Philmatic

So let me get this straight, Woot advertised and sold a product with a specific set of specs, then when people started receiving the product, it was outright missing a part.

Then Woot went and changed the original spec shee to omit the missing part, and only after being caught they offered a $30 credit? And everyone is okay with this?

They should have at least covered the price of an aftermarket optical drive.

wongjp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wongjp
Philmatic wrote:
They should have at least covered the price of an aftermarket optical drive.

What's a suitable aftermarket drive that's $30 and equivalent to what was missing? I saw a listing on eBay for a replacement drive that's $60 before shipping.

As my first "major" Woot purchase, I'm pretty disappointed by this.

riponfrosh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riponfrosh

I completely agree that we didn't get what we were promised. And I agree that you won't be able to purchase the exact drive that was promised for $30, but you could certainly pick up an external, or a standard internal drive on amazon for $30. I don't use an optical drive that often, so it's not that big deal to me. If it is a big deal to you, send the laptop back. It sucks that you wasted a week, but it could be worse.

... oh, and the backlit keyboard wasn't advertised, but I think we all got it. So, that was a nice bonus too...

pabstblueforyou7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pabstblueforyou7

Bought this laptop for business school, and while the optical drive wasn't a deal breaker for me, I think it would be useful. That said, I know next to nothing about modifying laptops. Can someone with mad computer skillz give an example (or just a description) of what I would need to buy to replace my sweet empty plastic space with an optical drive? Thanks in advance.

wongjp

riponfrosh wrote:I completely agree that we didn't get what we were promised. And I agree that you won't get the exact drive that was promised, but you could certainly pick up an external, or a standard internal drive on amazon for $30. I don't use an optical drive that often, so it's not that big deal to me. If it is a big deal to you, send the laptop back. It sucks that you wasted a week, but it could be worse.

... oh, and the backlit keyboard wasn't advertised, but I think we all got it. So, that was a nice bonus too...

My laptop arrives tomorrow, and I still plan to keep it. I just spotted some $30 drives but they are for the "E5400", I'm guessing the 5430 has the same drive bay form factor?

riponfrosh

pabstblueforyou7 wrote:Bought this laptop for business school, and while the optical drive wasn't a deal breaker for me, I think it would be useful. That said, I know next to nothing about modifying laptops. Can someone with mad computer skillz give an example (or just a description) of what I would need to buy to replace my sweet empty plastic space with an optical drive? Thanks in advance.

Follow the instructions on pages 17,18 and 19 on how to remove the optical drive/blank drive (it's easy, only 3 screws, I just did it in under 30 seconds...)

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/414800/Dell-Latitude-E5430.html?page=17#manual

Then stick in your new one. The computer should recognize it on reboot, should be good to go...

wongjp

riponfrosh wrote:Then stick in your new one. The computer should recognize it on reboot, should be good to go...

Herpaderp, me. Thanks riponfrosh

keeyoh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages keeyoh
riponfrosh wrote:
Then stick in your new one. The computer should recognize it on reboot, should be good to go...

Any suggestions on where to get a new drive that works with this laptop? I like that it's easy to install, thanks for the tip...I just want to make sure I find the right one. I read on one website that the drive they're selling isn't the whole thing and needs to be installed into an old optical drive.

riponfrosh

wongjp wrote:My laptop arrives tomorrow, and I still plan to keep it. I just spotted some $30 drives but they are for the "E5400", I'm guessing the 5430 has the same drive bay form factor?

As far as I know, virtually any sata style laptop optical drive should fit. It may look a little funny on the side (as the "door" won't match) but it should work...

Again, Not an expert... but pretty sure anything like this will work...

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-TS-L633-DVD%C2%B1RW-Notebook-Drive/dp/B003FE7GTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363815804&sr=8-1&keywords=laptop+dvd+drive

Just be careful when shopping around. Our E5430 uses a full sized 12.7mm Laptop optical drive, not the 9.5mm slim drive. While you may be able to make the slim work, it definitely wouldn't be ideal. Generally the slim drives are described as such, so just avoid.

bbb22183

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbb22183

I'm satisfied with 30 bucks. Thanks Woot.

yepland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yepland

Has anyone found a good replacement yet? I don't mind installing it and paying $60 for an optical drive but the blank faceplate is curved at the bottom and doesn't have a button so how can you reuse it? Maybe find a 5430 faceplate and use one of those universal drives?

riponfrosh

yepland wrote:Has anyone found a good replacement yet? I don't mind installing it and paying $60 for an optical drive but the blank faceplate is curved at the bottom and doesn't have a button so how can you reuse it? Maybe find a 5430 faceplate and use one of those universal drives?

Finding one that matches perfectly might be tricky short of going directly through dell which will be very pricey. My suggestion is either go with an aftermarket/generic style bay like mentioned above, or go with an external drive if you don't want to ruin the form factor of the laptop. Either of these options can be had for around $30.

yepland

Ohh man looks like I'm going to have to return it. I found a bezel for $20 + $60 for a drive.... You can get i5 for that price minus the SSD.

yepland

here is the $20 bezel I found BTW
http://www.impactcomputers.com/xyy2y.html#

crocklin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crocklin

Does anyone know if the DVD drive from my Dell D630 (8x DVD +/- RW) will work in the bay of this E5430? Also have a E4300 (both also Latitudes) we use at home.

Just wondering if these DVD drives from my other Latitudes can be inserted in the E5430. Thx for any help/guidance.

riponfrosh

yepland wrote:Ohh man looks like I'm going to have to return it. I found a bezel for $20 + $60 for a drive.... You can get i5 for that price minus the SSD.

You don't need a $60 drive. Just pick up a $30 one. So that, plus the $20 bezel, minus the $30 woot discount, you're out $20. Which sucks, but it is what it is and the computer is still cheaper than at newegg...

Nice find on the bezel though!

riponfrosh

crocklin wrote:Does anyone know if the DVD drive from my Dell D630 (8x DVD +/- RW) will work in the bay of this E5430? Also have a E4300 (both also Latitudes) we use at home.

Just wondering if these DVD drives from my other Latitudes can be inserted in the E5430. Thx for any help/guidance.

No, it won't... it's not a SATA drive. I'm actually in the same boat as I have a D610 (same drive as yours)though I'm pretty sure that drive was crapping out anyway...

cbrange

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbrange

I have an external (USB) optical drive that I use for reading CD/DVD. In the last 3 years of owning my netbook (which this E5430 is replacing) I have used it twice or so. I mainly want an optical drive so I can boot from it in case of a major OS error. But, that being said, when I decided to go ahead and purchase last week I was leaning toward finding a ~500GB hard drive to go in the optical drive bay anyway...I think someone mentioned the option earlier in the discussions, speed from SSD, storage and backup on the swappable drive. I liked that approach, so I will just pursue that, use my USB external when needed, and come up with a bootable USB or something in case of major OS error. The $30 rebate is a nice gesture and makes things a lot better. Shipping me an optical drive would have been outstanding but I have no complaints.

riponfrosh

cbrange wrote:I have an external (USB) optical drive that I use for reading CD/DVD. In the last 3 years of owning my netbook (which this E5430 is replacing) I have used it twice or so. I mainly want an optical drive so I can boot from it in case of a major OS error. But, that being said, when I decided to go ahead and purchase last week I was leaning toward finding a ~500GB hard drive to go in the optical drive bay anyway...I think someone mentioned the option earlier in the discussions, speed from SSD, storage and backup on the swappable drive. I liked that approach, so I will just pursue that, use my USB external when needed, and come up with a bootable USB or something in case of major OS error. The $30 rebate is a nice gesture and makes things a lot better. Shipping me an optical drive would have been outstanding but I have no complaints.

+1

My plan is to plop a $70 750GB 7200rpm (on sale now at newegg) in a $10 caddy. Lots-o-space and fast boots off the SSD...

moneyfornothing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moneyfornothing
riponfrosh wrote:+1

My plan is to plop a $70 750GB 7200rpm (on sale now at newegg) in a $10 caddy. Lots-o-space and fast boots off the SSD...

I put the $10 caddy in...Doesn't fit exactly right, but works for me. There is no way to secure it to the internal computer, as you are supposed to use the mount from the optical drive, which of course we don't have. However, it fits pretty snug, and I don't see it popping out.

I would only use the cd drive to watch movies anyway, and when do I do that? Hardly ever.

Just when I go to resell the computer, it is going to suck to explain that it doesn't have a cd drive.

I do LOVE the backlit keyboard. Overall, I am happy. The SSD drive rocks, and I only have $374 into this computer. I tried to find a comparable deal when this one came in without the drive and I had battery issues. There isn't a comparable deal.

I am ok with everything...did I mention I love the backlit keyboard....

riponfrosh

moneyfornothing wrote:There is no way to secure it to the internal computer, as you are supposed to use the mount from the optical drive, which of course we don't have. However, it fits pretty snug, and I don't see it popping out.

Thanks for that info. I was a bit worried about that. I may end up fabbing a tab to give it some extra security. I assume that you didn't do anything with the "bezel." I was thinking about cutting off the end of the filler tray the laptop came with and gluing it on to the caddy to make it look less odd...

wwmisc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wwmisc

Hey Woot! How about offering an 8x DVD+/-RW during the Woot Off? Say, for $25 + $5 shipping?

wongjp

riponfrosh wrote:+1

My initial beef had to do with the CD/DVD drive: the E5430 will be my travel replacement (my faithful Aspire One netbook is pretty old and slow by today's standards). So I was hoping to have an optical drive included - no need to tote around the external CD/DVD RW that I already have. Trying to "pack" with less bulk/items

I don't mind too much if I get an optical drive sans bezel - probably gives the laptop a "DIY" look to one corner/side anyway :p Thanks again for the recommendation on the drive. (The bezel that was pointed out, after shipping, is almost $30 - scratch that!)

paulconig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages paulconig
moneyfornothing wrote:I put the $10 caddy in...Doesn't fit exactly right, but works for me. There is no way to secure it to the internal computer, as you are supposed to use the mount from the optical drive, which of course we don't have. However, it fits pretty snug, and I don't see it popping out.

Nice, that caddy seemed to ship fast (from china??)! Do you happen to have any pics with it installed? Did you use the included bezel, or somehow make our "filler plate" (ughh) attach as the bezel? If not, try it out. Should give it a cleaner look.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to hearing back from you before I dump anymore $$ into this thing. I have $30 to play with at least now (should cover the cost of the caddy).

Thanks for any info as I am looking to purchase one of these caddy's as well, now that I don't have an optical drive to think about removing LOL....

schmaffy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages schmaffy

I bought the $26.95 Toshiba CD/DVD drive from Amazon (free shipping), and the bezel linked above from Impact for $19.95 with $6.35 shipping (via USPS - UPS was a few bucks more). My total was $53.25, minus woot's $30 refund. So I'm out 23 bucks. I can live with that - it was still a great deal.

I appreciate woot's efforts to make it right.

moneyfornothing

paulconig wrote:Nice, that caddy seemed to ship fast (from china??)! Do you happen to have any pics with it installed? Did you use the included bezel, or somehow make our "filler plate" (ughh) attach as the bezel? If not, try it out. Should give it a cleaner look.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to hearing back from you before I dump anymore $$ into this thing. I have $30 to play with at least now (should cover the cost of the caddy).

Thanks for any info as I am looking to purchase one of these caddy's as well, now that I don't have an optical drive to think about removing LOL....

This is the caddy I bought:
http://tinyurl.com/blakoop

Here is the pic:
http://tinypic.com/r/2akiopj/6

It doesn't look great, but functional. I would have to cut the filler plate, and glue it on the caddy. It would never look good if I did it.

jeremynichols

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeremynichols

Thanks for the details. I just did the same thing. Looks like a nice laptop and the backlit keyboard a bonus.

schmaffy wrote:I bought the $26.95 Toshiba CD/DVD drive from Amazon (free shipping), and the bezel linked above from Impact for $19.95 with $6.35 shipping (via USPS - UPS was a few bucks more). My total was $53.25, minus woot's $30 refund. So I'm out 23 bucks. I can live with that - it was still a great deal.

deebodoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deebodoo
schmaffy wrote:I bought the $26.95 Toshiba CD/DVD drive from Amazon (free shipping), and the bezel linked above from Impact for $19.95 with $6.35 shipping (via USPS - UPS was a few bucks more). My total was $53.25, minus woot's $30 refund. So I'm out 23 bucks. I can live with that - it was still a great deal.

I received mine yesterday along with the woot email regarding the refund. I had also purchased the Square Trade warranty. This unit is to be a gift to my daughter at UT in Austin. If I get the items you purchased to install for my unit, will it be noticeable? I was thinking of just sending everything to her to have it installed there. Since she's in "Dell paradise" do you have any suggestions, please? I wish I was more techno savvy!

schmaffy

deebodoo wrote:I received mine yesterday along with the woot email regarding the refund. I had also purchased the Square Trade warranty. This unit is to be a gift to my daughter at UT in Austin. If I get the items you purchased to install for my unit, will it be noticeable? I was thinking of just sending everything to her to have it installed there. Since she's in "Dell paradise" do you have any suggestions, please? I wish I was more techno savvy!

I'm by far NOT the most tech-savvy person here - but I'm pretty sure the purpose of the bezel is to make the guts not noticeable.

As far as installation, I'm also pretty sure it's a matter of 3 screws and 10 minutes (or less), and there are probably a plethora of youtube videos to show you (or her) exactly how to do it.

Anyone with more experience want to speak up on this issue?

caseylute

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caseylute

Initially I was pleased to hear about the $30 refund, since I figured it was probably enough to replace the missing part and that was why they settled on that number (I'm not very familiar with the pricing of computer components). Of course, now it's apparent that I won't be able replace the internal optical drive properly for $30. I am no longer pleased. Returning it seems like a pain, as does using an external optical drive. I'm really disappointed in Woot that they didn't cover the cost to get the machine up to the original specs listed. I thought they were better than that.

Not sure what to do here...

schmaffy

caseylute wrote:Initially I was pleased to hear about the $30 refund, since I figured it was probably enough to replace the missing part and that was why they settled on that number (I'm not very familiar with the pricing of computer components). Of course, now it's apparent that I won't be able replace the internal optical drive properly for $30. I am no longer pleased. Returning it seems like a pain, as does using an external optical drive. I'm really disappointed in Woot that they didn't cover the cost to get the machine up to the original specs listed. I thought they were better than that.

Not sure what to do here...

IMHO...you can replace the drive properly for $30 - just not prettily. I agree it's not the best solution, but better than nothing.

deebodoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deebodoo
schmaffy wrote:IMHO...you can replace the drive properly for $30 - just not prettily. I agree it's not the best solution, but better than nothing.

OK, I made a management mom decision. Called Discount Electronics in Austin---they primarily work on Dells. My daughter can take it there and add extra memory as well as an optical drive. Good old mom will pay. Its worth it to me to not have the hassle! :-)
I do wish woot would have helped out a bit more on supplying an optical drive to all of us. I will continue to be a customer as I have been a fan for a long time. I still would like to score a random bag o crap!

davenapy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davenapy
wwmisc wrote:Hey Woot! How about offering an 8x DVD+/-RW during the Woot Off? Say, for $25 + $5 shipping?

Newegg has an ASUS 8x USB DVD +/- RW drive for $20.00 after a $5 rebate.

Philmatic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Philmatic

I just got the laptop today, even without the CD/DVD drive, its a pretty impressive little laptop.

I do have one issue though, does anyone's bottom left track-pad button not work? I'm talking about the set underneath the track-pad, not the one directly below the pointer.

It just doesn't work, not in Windows or Windows setup (I thought it could be a driver issue, it's not).

moneyfornothing

Is anyone experiencing slow internet issues? I have a friend who ordered one, and he swears when doing speedtests that it is slower than his old laptop.

wongjp

moneyfornothing wrote:Is anyone experiencing slow internet issues? I have a friend who ordered one, and he swears when doing speedtests that it is slower than his old laptop.

I am on my E5430 now. No internet issues here. I have a Wireless-N router at home and the speeds seem fine.

I did have to use Windows 7's Display.. Color Calibration though. The display was showing off more blues in the "highlights" or whites of the screen. The then adjusted the contrast and gamma with the Intel HD Graphics utility (from the system tray). Has anyone experienced the same display (seemed rather blue/cold on screen)?

I do like the backlit keyboard I have to try toting this thing in my laptop backpack soon.

schmaffy

wongjp wrote:I am on my E5430 now. No internet issues here. I have a Wireless-N router at home and the speeds seem fine.

I did have to use Windows 7's Display.. Color Calibration though. The display was showing off more blues in the "highlights" or whites of the screen. The then adjusted the contrast and gamma with the Intel HD Graphics utility (from the system tray). Has anyone experienced the same display (seemed rather blue/cold on screen)?

I do like the backlit keyboard I have to try toting this thing in my laptop backpack soon.

No internet or track pad button issues here.

I know what you mean about the 'coldness' of the screen...just haven't had a chance to mess around with the settings yet.

cbrange

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbrange
wongjp wrote:I am on my E5430 now. No internet issues here. I have a Wireless-N router at home and the speeds seem fine.

I'm glad you mentioned the graphics, I need to look into those settings - hadn't occurred to me. For me the color is fine but contrast needs adjustment. Most webpages look washed out and get better turning the brightness all the way up but I don't normally keep my brightness over ~75%.

pepsi216

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pepsi216

Two questions; it looks like we'll need the little bracket shown in Step 7 in the online manual to hold a new optical drive into the computer. The one "included" is a molded part of the plastic bay insert, so isn't really usable. Any recommendations as to where to find one of these little brackets, or will a new optical drive already come with one?

Manual is here:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/414800/Dell-Latitude-E5430.html?page=19#manual

Second question; will installing an optical drive invalidate the Square Trade warranty?

mortoncm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mortoncm

Pretty disappointing, Woot! I've bought dozens of items from Woot! and have only had to return (1) for product fault. Woot! made it right on that one. The $30 seems like a pretty crappy way to handle this situation. I hope this is not a sign of things to come from you guys. I suggest rethinking this decision or at least passing it up the ladder one more level.