pepsi216

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pepsi216
moneyfornothing wrote:Is anyone experiencing slow internet issues? I have a friend who ordered one, and he swears when doing speedtests that it is slower than his old laptop.

I'm starting to notice this too; I need to play with it some more to figure out if it's just the sites I'm visiting, or if it's actually slower...

nightdesigns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nightdesigns

Doesn't look like mine has the back lit keyboard, however it did come with a free ruler and letter opener (See if you can find yours!)

schmaffy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages schmaffy
nightdesigns wrote:Doesn't look like mine has the back lit keyboard, however it did come with a free ruler and letter opener (See if you can find yours!)

Haha, yes - I found mine while I was looking for the optical drive. :/

Hit Fn and right arrow for the backlit keyboard.

cbrange

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbrange

Found my ultra-handy letter opener!! Promptly tried to use it to magically unlock my ultra-hidden optical drive while that must be there somewhere...

nightdesigns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nightdesigns
schmaffy wrote:Haha, yes - I found mine while I was looking for the optical drive. :/

Hit Fn and right arrow for the backlit keyboard.

Perfect, thanks!

parradox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parradox
schmaffy wrote:I bought the $26.95 Toshiba CD/DVD drive from Amazon (free shipping), and the bezel linked above from Impact for $19.95 with $6.35 shipping (via USPS - UPS was a few bucks more). My total was $53.25, minus woot's $30 refund. So I'm out 23 bucks. I can live with that - it was still a great deal.

I appreciate woot's efforts to make it right.

Did this work very well for you? I purchased a DVD drive from amazon but it looks like it is a least 1/4 inch too short to meet the edge of the laptop. It works well, just doesn't look good.

I cant tell from the pic on the website whether the bezel will work properly or not.

Thanks!

schmaffy

parradox wrote:Did this work very well for you? I purchased a DVD drive from amazon but it looks like it is a least 1/4 inch too short to meet the edge of the laptop. It works well, just doesn't look good.

I cant tell from the pic on the website whether the bezel will work properly or not.

Thanks!

I just got the bezel yesterday, but don't have the drive yet. I'll let you know!

pepsi216

schmaffy wrote:I just got the bezel yesterday, but don't have the drive yet. I'll let you know!

My bezel arrived last week and my drive (the same Amazon one we now all have!) just arrived today. I assembled the whole thing and it looks great! Can't even tell that the optical drive isn't original. The only thing I'm missing is the little mounting bracket to hold the drive into the bay; was anyone ever able to find one?

I do highly recommend the bezel; initially I wasn't sure about paying $26 for it, but I'm so glad I did!

schmaffy

pepsi216 wrote:My bezel arrived last week and my drive (the same Amazon one we now all have!) just arrived today. I assembled the whole thing and it looks great! Can't even tell that the optical drive isn't original. The only thing I'm missing is the little mounting bracket to hold the drive into the bay; was anyone ever able to find one?

I do highly recommend the bezel; initially I wasn't sure about paying $26 for it, but I'm so glad I did!

Could you post a link ton the drive you bought? Mine doesn't fit.

pepsi216

schmaffy wrote:Could you post a link ton the drive you bought? Mine doesn't fit.

I bought this one, took off the attached face plate, and replaced it with the bezel.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-TS-L633-DVD%C2%B1RW-Notebook-Drive/dp/B003FE7GTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363815804&sr=8-1&keywords=laptop+dvd+drive

Good luck!

schmaffy

pepsi216 wrote:I bought this one, took off the attached face plate, and replaced it with the bezel.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-TS-L633-DVD%C2%B1RW-Notebook-Drive/dp/B003FE7GTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363815804&sr=8-1&keywords=laptop+dvd+drive

Good luck!

Yeah, that's the one I have. The bezel fits perfectly, but I can't get the drive to connect to the laptop - looks like a different pin configuration. What am I doing wrong?

schmaffy

schmaffy wrote:Yeah, that's the one I have. The bezel fits perfectly, but I can't get the drive to connect to the laptop - looks like a different pin configuration. What am I doing wrong?

Never mind. They sent me the wrong one! Grrrrr. Will have to call amazon support tomorrow. >

jeremynichols

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeremynichols

I got the same bits and pieces and don't have the little bracket either. The drive has tapped holes for the bracket; if a bracket can't be fabbed, this looks like a job for Ducktapeman!

pepsi216 wrote:My bezel arrived last week and my drive (the same Amazon one we now all have!) just arrived today. I assembled the whole thing and it looks great! Can't even tell that the optical drive isn't original. The only thing I'm missing is the little mounting bracket to hold the drive into the bay; was anyone ever able to find one?

paulconig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages paulconig

Sooo I ordered this exact bezel (from the same place) as soon as I saw your post (I dont want some hackjob looking lappy just to have a functioning DVD drive)...

I have been charged, yet not received any shipping confirmation or any word from the seller about the status of the bezel as of this moment.

Needless to say I am quite annoyed at WOOT and this seller for essentially taking my credit and doing god knows what with it.....

How long after you ordered the bezel did it ship?? Did they communicate well with you, or did it just show up in the mail one day??

Thanks for any help, I really want to get this baby 100% operational, it is quite a beast for what we paid. I just don't want it to look like some super-glued ebay parts of a laptop LMAOO.

Please advise.

Thanks a bunch!!!

--Paul

yepland wrote:here is the $20 bezel I found BTW
http://www.impactcomputers.com/xyy2y.html#

schmaffy

paulconig wrote:Sooo I ordered this exact bezel (from the same place) as soon as I saw your post (I dont want some hackjob looking lappy just to have a functioning DVD drive)...

I have been charged, yet not received any shipping confirmation or any word from the seller about the status of the bezel as of this moment.

Needless to say I am quite annoyed at WOOT and this seller for essentially taking my credit and doing god knows what with it.....

How long after you ordered the bezel did it ship?? Did they communicate well with you, or did it just show up in the mail one day??

Thanks for any help, I really want to get this baby 100% operational, it is quite a beast for what we paid. I just don't want it to look like some super-glued ebay parts of a laptop LMAOO.

Please advise.

Thanks a bunch!!!

--Paul

I received an email confirmation upon ordering, and received the bezel just a few days later.

It's totally worth the money - hope you've gotten it by now.

dmb2002

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dmb2002

Has anyone been able to connect to N routers with this laptop? I am not able to locate my N router but I am able to find the G connection.

scataldo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scataldo

This does not appear to have an internal microphone. Even the voice recognition application only has an option for headset and external microphones. Has anyone else noticed this?

CallMeAl82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CallMeAl82

FYI the bezel is now $54.95. Ridic.

schmaffy wrote:I received an email confirmation upon ordering, and received the bezel just a few days later.

It's totally worth the money - hope you've gotten it by now.