dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Sure. Right after you explain to me what a Hinkle and Miller is and what beta-ing is. Editing, I understand.



I haven't got a clue either.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Nobody home?

OK, see you after mom day.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
pooflady wrote:Sure. Right after you explain to me what a Hinkle and Miller is and what beta-ing is. Editing, I understand.



beta-ing is testing before release and looking for problems. I beta a lot.

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

Moueska


quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
pooflady wrote:Sure. Right after you explain to me what a Hinkle and Miller is and what beta-ing is. Editing, I understand.

KTCallista had it right. Beta is review and feedback. It's like editing but also subjective to the material. I do seem to dangle a lot of participles, though. (The emphasis for my English Major was Drama, so I've been more of a playwright in practice than short story -or long story- writer.)

Hinkle and Miller are from the discontinued home.woot stories. They were introduced as secondary characters, but didn't get fleshed out during the main Sylvia arc or in the sub-arc where they had a failed small business plan as private eyes.

So.

In a way, I'm practicing my copywriting (which I have ZERO experience in), working with existing characters (which I've done before), and writing in short bursts (which has always been how I seem to work best). The home.woot stories were occasionally just a teensy bit clunky when the characters chatted about the dynamics of the item - but they were nearly always completely genre-savvy about it.

Long story short (as though it weren't too late for that), I thought it would be fun to revive Hinkle and Miller's arc and see how it could be paired up with the new Woot tab of "Accessories and Watches". I'd have to wait until the item goes up to tackle each sub-chapter, but I figure I can do some pre-work with plotting.

I think you mentioned that you hadn't been reading the originals, but watching them close the series was heartbreaking. I'd really like more people to go back and read 'em.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
Moueska wrote:KTCallista had it right. Beta is review and feedback. It's like editing but also subjective to the material. I do seem to dangle a lot of participles, though. (The emphasis for my English Major was Drama, so I've been more of a playwright in practice than short story -or long story- writer.)

Hinkle and Miller are from the discontinued home.woot stories. They were introduced as secondary characters, but didn't get fleshed out during the main Sylvia arc or in the sub-arc where they had a failed small business plan as private eyes.

So.

In a way, I'm practicing my copywriting (which I have ZERO experience in), working with existing characters (which I've done before), and writing in short bursts (which has always been how I seem to work best). The home.woot stories were occasionally just a teensy bit clunky when the characters chatted about the dynamics of the item - but they were nearly always completely genre-savvy about it.

Long story short (as though it weren't too late for that), I thought it would be fun to revive Hinkle and Miller's arc and see how it could be paired up with the new Woot tab of "Accessories and Watches". I'd have to wait until the item goes up to tackle each sub-chapter, but I figure I can do some pre-work with plotting.

I think you mentioned that you hadn't been reading the originals, but watching them close the series was heartbreaking. I'd really like more people to go back and read 'em.



Let me know what you'd like me to do.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

AZGman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Afternoon, folks.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Going to Red Robin shortly to sit on the patio and chomp on a delicious mushroom and swiss burger.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

AZGman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
pooflady wrote:Let me know what you'd like me to do.



I have to admit I'm a bit confused by what exactly is being asked of you. But I'm easily confused lately.

Chat later, perhaps.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AZGman wrote:I have to admit I'm a bit confused by what exactly is being asked of you. But I'm easily confused lately.

Chat later, perhaps.



Maybe?


WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

AZGman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
dontwantaname wrote:Maybe?



Maybe what?

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

AZGman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

G'night, then.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Have just tried to make a flan for the first time. Also have just tried crystalizing sugar for the first time. We'll see how it turns out.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AZGman wrote:Maybe what?




Maybe you'll be back.


WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Have just tried to make a flan for the first time. Also have just tried crystalizing sugar for the first time. We'll see how it turns out.



The blow torch thing?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
dontwantaname wrote:The blow torch thing?



No. You heat sugar until it becomes liquid. And amber.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:No. You heat sugar until it becomes liquid. And amber.



That's no fun.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Yoo Hoo!

People!

Do you exist?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
dontwantaname wrote:Yoo Hoo!

People!

Do you exist?



//checking//



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Fine.

See if I care.

What if I don't come back tomorrow and give the poop report?

You'll get the jitters.

Admit it.

btw: today one poop found behind the garage...may or may not be from today.
Two poops made on day walk. One right next to a weed with 3 leaves. I didn't pick that one up.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
dontwantaname wrote:Fine.

See if I care.

What if I don't come back tomorrow and give the poop report?

You'll get the jitters.

Admit it.

btw: today one poop found behind the garage...may or may not be from today.
Two poops made on day walk. One right next to a plant with 3 leaves. I didn't pick that one up.



I'm here, what do you want to talk about?



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:I'm here, what do you want to talk about?



I got nothin

How about you?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote://checking//



Oh.


I didn't see this


Maybe I should check more carefully before I post.




WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Went to Mom day. We went to eat. Got to ihop and Mom realized she didn't have her purse.

She swore she had it when she left the house. She was showing me her plants and complaining about the gardner before we got in the car.

Plus she said she might have put it down on the curb before she got into the car. (? why would you do that?)

So we jump back into the car and speed back to the house.

No purse on the stoop, lawn or curb.

I go in the house and don't see it. I'm now planning a day of locksmiths ( I have her key, but she won't stay in the house with the keys gone) and trying to figure out how to stop or replace all her purse stuff.

Mom found it in the house.

So, as punishment, I made her listen to Lewis Black.

I was just listening to one of his CD's and he was talking about age and memory.

She was freaked out with the cursing, but she was laughing.

We got back to ihop and told the waitress our story. Mom admitted that Lewis Black curses too much, but she did laugh hard and forgot how nervous she was when she thought the purse was gone!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
dontwantaname wrote:Went to Mom day. We went to eat. Got to ihop and Mom realized she didn't have her purse.

She swore she had it when she left the house. She was showing me her plants and complaining about the gardner before we got in the car.

Plus she said she might have put it down on the curb before she got into the car. (? why would you do that?)

So we jump back into the car and speed back to the house.

No purse on the stoop, lawn or curb.

I go in the house and don't see it.

Mom found it in the house.

So, as punishment, I made her listen to Lewis Black.

I was just listening to one of his CD's and he was talking about age and memory.

She was freaked out with the cursing, but she was laughing.

We got back to ihop and told the waitress our story. Mom admitted that Lewis Black curses too much, but she did laugh hard and forgot how nervous she was when she thought the purse was gone!



That would work. I think my mother wouldn't have laughed. Nor my m-i-l. They would have been shocked.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

how do you always post the same time as me?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:That would work. I think my mother wouldn't have laughed. Nor my m-i-l. They would have been shocked.



I warned her.

She did mention, a few dozen times, that it would be just as funny without the curse words.

She can handle one or two F's. No more.

The subject was perfect!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

OK, I'm done. See you tomorrow.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Iceback


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback

Good morning all.

In the end only kindness matters

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Iceback wrote:Good morning all.



Good morning Ice.

Hope things are going as well as they can in your world.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Wow, those fledglings are tough!
I have a bird feeder on the kitchen window.

Sparrows are tough. They fight off cardinals and doves.

Now I just realized the babies are flying and they fight off the other babies.

There is a air war going on outside my window.

Guess I should fill it up again.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Beautiful day outside!

Did some sweeping. Cleaned out the bird feeders (I read there is some disease this year and they need to be cleaned.)
Totally freaked out the sparrows by taking down the feeder.

Hummm, maybe try the dog park.

Oh no! I didn't check for poop!

brb

yep there was poop

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Hello everyone. Beautiful day here, too.

I'm putting off flipping the flan onto a plate. I'm afraid the caramel will be hard as a rock instead of gooey.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Hello everyone. Beautiful day here, too.

I'm putting off flipping the flan onto a plate. I'm afraid the caramel will be hard as a rock instead of gooey.



You need to post pictures.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
dontwantaname wrote:You need to post pictures.



It's too much trouble to look up how to do it. The caramel was gooey. So that's good. The whole thing doesn't look all that great, but I think it'll taste pretty good. There was some of the hard stuff in the pie plate and I had to boil water in it to get it out.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Dog park visit was a success.

Rusty did a bunch of humping, but the humpie didn't care.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
dontwantaname wrote:Dog park visit was a success.

Rusty did a bunch of humping, but the humpie didn't care.



That would be "humpee."

That's good, then they're both happy.



The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

AZGman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
dontwantaname wrote:Dog park visit was a success.

Rusty did a bunch of humping, but the humpie didn't care.



Don't arf; don't growl.

Afternoon, folks.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

klozitshoper


quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

Hi everyone. Beautiful day here. Amazing how much of a difference sunlight really does make. Ain't gonna make hay, though, but will find something infinitely more fun! Oh, but that can be assumed from the make hay remark also I guess.

Iceback


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
dontwantaname wrote:Good morning Ice.

Hope things are going as well as they can in your world.



Better than I deserve.

In the end only kindness matters

AZGman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

G'night, folks.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.