pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
cruzer wrote:Are you telling me to make my own decisions or to actually do what he said? :-)

The truth is that I start the morning excited about new opportunities, gradually work my way down to "what the hell am I thinking?!?!" just after lunch time, then some how make my way back to excitement by the time I make it home.

I think he told you things to think about.

Some days are a total waste of makeup.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:35% more is significant. how much less benefits? would you be losing out on a gov't pension? are you trading 35% more for somewhat less job security? gov't jobs are traditionally safer but have less growth potential than some private sector jobs - is this a case with some growth likely? plus, how did the sequester affect you?

assuming it's not some fly-by-nite company, i'd say 35% is a reasonable incentive to change jobs. but be sure to factor in any pension value!

There's also the security of gov't jobs to consider. and really, 35% isn't much when you factor in the benefits. Not the least of which may be the ability to retain your gov't insurance when you retire.

jawsuser

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jawsuser

SERIOUS RANT AHEAD!!!

You have been warned!

I can not believe our county road department. I was on the phone with the director and he told me I HAVE to totally remove the gates on the pond as that is why the road has been washing away so badly. When I told him that was not an option he threatened to sue us! He said he would have to come talk with us with an attorney and engineer.

My dad would totally come Unglued! He already rants about how much control the government has over personal property. This would throw him over the edge and probably shorten his life. It would definitely make mine worse listening to him rant and rave all day!

The thing is my pictures show clearly that when the culverts in the upper spillway were washed out so that the water could flow freely through the spillway ALL the water disappeared off the road!

He doesn't know it but he is definitely messing with the wrong woman! I will NOT have my dad upset because the county doesn't have the money to fix the roads correctly! The governor declared these counties a state of emergency with all the rain. So he should be able to get Federal money to fix the roads correctly. And to top it off we are possibly getting a hurricane coming through!

I will email him and tell him that if he chooses to proceed with an attorney I would need a week's notice to have proper legal advisors; what I won't tell him is I also intend to have the local papers, radio station, and TV stations here to document the conversation.

I would have that man and his dept tried in the court of public opinion and I have NO qualms about using the "big government taking unfair advantage of a blind woman caring for her blind/deaf father who is dying of cancer" factor!

It helps that my cousin, who was a well respected judge, has a column in the local paper. And my dad is well known in the community and greatly admired. His whole family is well known in this area! That man has DEFINITELY picked a fight with the wrong woman!

I intend to tell him in my email that I have contacted the Department of Environmental Protection for options. The pond is about four miles long and one and a half wide. It is a natural habitat for many animals and his actions would be destroying their habitat! Surely DEP would be interested in protecting the habitat!

It also will have a negative effect on people bordering the pond to the SW who rely on the pond waters to keep their livestock from wandering off. His actions would negatively affect multiple people not just us!

If he thinks he can bully me into running scared HE IS IN FOR A SURPRISE! When someone backs me into a corner my Irish and German temper come out and I COME OUT FIGHTING!!!

Threaten me with a lawsuit will he; use the same culverts that didn't work and washed away into the woods will he; portray us as the bad guys for wanting to preserve what has been in the family for years and the natural habitat will he. I DON'T THINK SO!!!

End of Rant! You are now returned to your regularly scheduled PWA conversations.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Good for you jaws! Let 'em have it!

I can't sleep. I am supposed to drive back to the beach today. Daughter and Elizabeth are going with me. I have lots is stuff I should have done while I've been cleaning carpet and filth out of hubby's Dad's house.

It was trashed by a renter who had inside dogs and kids with fingernail polish. The painter has used 13 gallons of paint inside a small 1200 sq. ft. house.

My todo list was longer than I had time todo.

joyner

Good luck cruzer and KtC. Kid I have a friend that loves advocare.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Hardy water lily. First time I've kept them, and this is the first bloom.

cruzer...it depends on your career goals, and how much raise will be left after 'buying' back the benefits you lose. For example, you might be giving up a benefit you don't use, so no big deal...but losing future benefits like pension and retirement health care are a HUGE deal, just not one you'll notice right now.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
Mavyn wrote:

cruzer...it depends on your career goals, and how much raise will be left after 'buying' back the benefits you lose. For example, you might be giving up a benefit you don't use, so no big deal...but losing future benefits like pension and retirement health care are a HUGE deal, just not one you'll notice right now.

Pretty!

So, I have thought about leaving to make more money now and returning in the future. I would be able to keep my years in service, as well as keep my government retirement. I wouldn't have to buy the years back.

As far as benefits at the new job, they don't match as much on the 401k (3% vs 5%), the health insurance is not as good and a little more expensive (expected), they do have a pension at the new job, but doesn't kick in until Jan 2015, and the new job pays 25k more per year with 7% bonus (twice my current bonus rate).

Mavyn

cruzer wrote:Pretty!

So, I have thought about leaving to make more money now and returning in the future. I would be able to keep my years in service, as well as keep my government retirement. I wouldn't have to buy the years back.

As far as benefits at the new job, they don't match as much on the 401k (3% vs 5%), the health insurance is not as good and a little more expensive (expected), they do have a pension at the new job, but doesn't kick in until Jan 2015, and the new job pays 25k more per year with 7% bonus (twice my current bonus rate).

Figure if you are willing to make up that difference in the 401K contribution and worse case scenario for health care. Or plan on doing something like taking the extra from the bonus and investing it, or supplementing insurance? I know for me, I really only use the pharmacy benefits in full, so a slight change wouldn't be a big deal.

What about working conditions? Any difference in commuting?

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
jawsuser wrote:SERIOUS RANT AHEAD!!!

You have been warned!

I can not believe our county road department. I was on the phone with the director and he told me I HAVE to totally remove the gates on the pond as that is why the road has been washing away so badly. When I told him that was not an option he threatened to sue us! He said he would have to come talk with us with an attorney and engineer.

My dad would totally come Unglued! He already rants about how much control the government has over personal property. This would throw him over the edge and probably shorten his life. It would definitely make mine worse listening to him rant and rave all day!

The thing is my pictures show clearly that when the culverts in the upper spillway were washed out so that the water could flow freely through the spillway ALL the water disappeared off the road!

He doesn't know it but he is definitely messing with the wrong woman! I will NOT have my dad upset because the county doesn't have the money to fix the roads correctly! The governor declared these counties a state of emergency with all the rain. So he should be able to get Federal money to fix the roads correctly. And to top it off we are possibly getting a hurricane coming through!

I will email him and tell him that if he chooses to proceed with an attorney I would need a week's notice to have proper legal advisors; what I won't tell him is I also intend to have the local papers, radio station, and TV stations here to document the conversation.

I would have that man and his dept tried in the court of public opinion and I have NO qualms about using the "big government taking unfair advantage of a blind woman caring for her blind/deaf father who is dying of cancer" factor!

It helps that my cousin, who was a well respected judge, has a column in the local paper. And my dad is well known in the community and greatly admired. His whole family is well known in this area! That man has DEFINITELY picked a fight with the wrong woman!

I intend to tell him in my email that I have contacted the Department of Environmental Protection for options. The pond is about four miles long and one and a half wide. It is a natural habitat for many animals and his actions would be destroying their habitat! Surely DEP would be interested in protecting the habitat!

It also will have a negative effect on people bordering the pond to the SW who rely on the pond waters to keep their livestock from wandering off. His actions would negatively affect multiple people not just us!

If he thinks he can bully me into running scared HE IS IN FOR A SURPRISE! When someone backs me into a corner my Irish and German temper come out and I COME OUT FIGHTING!!!

Threaten me with a lawsuit will he; use the same culverts that didn't work and washed away into the woods will he; portray us as the bad guys for wanting to preserve what has been in the family for years and the natural habitat will he. I DON'T THINK SO!!!

End of Rant! You are now returned to your regularly scheduled PWA conversations.

Sic'em.
Make sure you keep a log of all conversations.Try and keep as many conversations written as possible.
Follow up any verbal with an e-mail. "As per our conversation of blah blah blah"

In the end only kindness matters

cruzer

Mavyn wrote:Figure if you are willing to make up that difference in the 401K contribution and worse case scenario for health care. Or plan on doing something like taking the extra from the bonus and investing it, or supplementing insurance? I know for me, I really only use the pharmacy benefits in full, so a slight change wouldn't be a big deal.

What about working conditions? Any difference in commuting?

The commute is going to be longer. It could take an hour if traffic is bad and it's possible that I would have to work more hours, but they have a better work area, plus a foosball table and ping pong table.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
cruzer wrote:plus a foosball table and ping pong table.

well, that settles it!

Mavyn

cruzer wrote:The commute is going to be longer. It could take an hour if traffic is bad and it's possible that I would have to work more hours, but they have a better work area, plus a foosball table and ping pong table.

For me, that would be a deal breaker unless it would be an AWESOME resume item...and even then, I'd be hard pressed. Giving up 'not work' time is a big cost for me.

cruzer

no1 wrote:well, that settles it!

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any impact at all.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 503 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cruzer wrote:The commute is going to be longer. It could take an hour if traffic is bad and it's possible that I would have to work more hours, but they have a better work area, plus a foosball table and ping pong table.

//smack
You need to come back more often!

My number one thing is to enjoy my job. If you're unhappy where you are, definitely consider.

The long commute and hours is a consideration if y'all are going to start a family any time soon.

cruzer

ThunderThighs wrote://smack
You need to come back more often!

My number one thing is to enjoy my job. If you're unhappy where you are, definitely consider.

The long commute and hours is a consideration if y'all are going to start a family any time soon.

Somebody has to kick start this thread.

The good thing is that I can come in and leave before the traffic is bad, which is what I liked to do anyway.

That probably helps with kids as well and working from home is still an option.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

cruzer wrote:plus a foosball table and ping pong table.

Really? LOL

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Mavyn wrote:

That is really pretty!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

cruzer wrote:Somebody has to kick start this thread.

The good thing is that I can come in and leave before the traffic is bad, which is what I liked to do anyway.

That probably helps with kids as well and working from home is still an option.

How long have you been married now?
I mean, geeze, can't I even get any internet grandkids?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

cruzer

dontwantaname wrote:How long have you been married now?

No kids for you!

no1

dontwantaname wrote:How long have you been married now?

uh, the usual way to get grandkids is to nag your real life kids about it.

cruzer

no1 wrote:uh, the usual way to get grandkids is to nag your real life kids about it.

Yeah! Didn't someone just get a ring recently?

jawsuser

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jawsuser
Mavyn wrote:

That is beautiful. Are there special times when water lilies bloom? We have a pond full and I'm not out there regularly so I have no idea.

Ice - thanks for the encouragement. I have started sending follow-up emails. Right now I am waiting for my cousin to come by and read one to make sure I don't regret sending it. I was REALLY steamed after our conversation yesterday. Not that you could tell :-)

D'name KtC has kids so you already have internet grandkids.

Life could get interesting. We maybe having a hurricane come through on top of all the water we have already received. The ground is so saturated that it would blow trees over left and right. Even now when it rains, which is most days, the water sits on top of the ground for quite a while before it is evaporated or absorbed.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

cruzer wrote:Yeah! Didn't someone just get a ring recently?

Yeah, but I might have to pay for that kid. I'm looking for a no worry, no money kid!

Yours!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

jawsuser wrote:That is beautiful. Are there special times when water lilies bloom? We have a pond full and I'm not out there regularly so I have no idea.

Ice - thanks for the encouragement. I have started sending follow-up emails. Right now I am waiting for my cousin to come by and read one to make sure I don't regret sending it. I was REALLY steamed after our conversation yesterday. Not that you could tell :-)

D'name KtC has kids so you already have internet grandkids.

Life could get interesting. We maybe having a hurricane come through on top of all the water we have already received. The ground is so saturated that it would blow trees over left and right. Even now when it rains, which is most days, the water sits on top of the ground for quite a while before it is evaporated or absorbed.

Go after the town, we can use an adventure to read about.

KtC was married with a kid or two when she started here.

Cruzer was a college student.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

cruzer

dontwantaname wrote:Yeah, but I might have to pay for that kid. I'm looking for a no worry, no money kid!

Yours!

And no interaction, either, right?

cruzer

dontwantaname wrote:Go after the town, we can use an adventure to read about.

KtC was married with a kid or two when she started here.

Cruzer was a college student.

That was a while ago...

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

cruzer wrote:And no interaction, either, right?

Either way, the baby will be hours by car or plane away.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

Went to see The Heat today. I was the only person in the theater. I should have left halfway through. I didn't find it funny at all.

no1

dontwantaname wrote:Either way, the baby will be ours by car or plane

baby snatcher!

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Went to see The Heat today. I was the only person in the theater. I should have left halfway through. I didn't find it funny at all.

Dang, I was hoping it would be a good one. Were all the best bits in the trailer?

pooflady

ThunderThighs wrote:Dang, I was hoping it would be a good one. Were all the best bits in the trailer?

It's probably me. I had two friends tell me how funny it was. To me, it was just over the top. On the other hand, I had no problem believing the Lone Ranger could ride Silver on the top of a moving train.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:It's probably me. I had two friends tell me how funny it was. To me, it was just over the top. On the other hand, I had no problem believing the Lone Ranger could ride Silver on the top of a moving train.

Lone Ranger was downright silly at times but good fun.

Master Chef and Hell's Kitchen are both ended now. What will I watch?

KtCallista

quality posts: 32 Private Messages KtCallista
dontwantaname wrote:Either way, the baby will be hours by car or plane away.

Technically two of my kids are post woot, but I didn't come to PWA until just before Ver2 was born.

They could use a grandma that cares about them. After spending half the summer making sure we were available for grandma to come stay with us, she's not coming, but maybe October? The kids are mega let down. You can't tell kids you are coming and then not come, not to mention we didn't schedule any trips because we wanted to be available for her.

Cruzer - that commute would kill me (even though I'm debating a job with just as long of one, but less traffic), but it's your choice - you're the one that has to do the job. I'm a loyalist, if my group has done right by me I tend to stay, but with my recent history it might be time to go to the 'you should try to interview with at least two companies a year even if you aren't looking for work' route. //sigh.

It is nice that you have options.

Jawsuser - document everything. You might alert your friend in media what is going down so they can get in on the ground level if interested. I hope you stay dry during the hurricane.

Everyone else, thanks for the good thoughts. Got some busy days ahead, finishing job apps then taking the kids to the local amusement park on Mon and Tues, which will be our first camp trip of the year. Then I'll be coaching Tykes T-Ball for Ver3's team all of August.

Thanks so much Secret Santa!!

Mavyn

jawsuser wrote:That is beautiful. Are there special times when water lilies bloom? We have a pond full and I'm not out there regularly so I have no idea.

These are hardy lilies, and the only live outside in the summer. In your area, I'm not sure when they would bloom, possibly year round. When the blooms open and such depends on the variety.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Curzer, hubby said, stick with the government job.
He is thinking retirements benefits.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

#2 son's in the ER. They think it's his gall bladder. Of course the ultrasound person isn't there weekends. They're going to load him up with pain meds and antinausea meds because he's going to hurt bad enough to throw up. His wife, me and his sister-in-law have been yelling at him for weeks to go to the doctor because he was eating Tums like candy. He's going to pay for it now.

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:Curzer, hubby said, stick with the government job.
He is thinking retirements benefits.

Yeah, nobody beats the government's retirement benefits.

joyner

pooflady wrote:#2 son's in the ER. They think it's his gall bladder. Of course the ultrasound person isn't there weekends. They're going to load him up with pain meds and antinausea meds because he's going to hurt bad enough to throw up. His wife, me and his sister-in-law have been yelling at him for weeks to go to the doctor because he was eating Tums like candy. He's going to pay for it now.

Ouch! Hope they can get him fixed up soon.

We are back at the beach. Daughter and Elizabeth came with me. She has already been in the pool and loved it.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:#2 son's in the ER. They think it's his gall bladder. Of course the ultrasound person isn't there weekends. They're going to load him up with pain meds and antinausea meds because he's going to hurt bad enough to throw up. His wife, me and his sister-in-law have been yelling at him for weeks to go to the doctor because he was eating Tums like candy. He's going to pay for it now.

Ugh. Hope all goes well.

KtCallista

quality posts: 32 Private Messages KtCallista

Do you not live in a populated area? Even here in the stix we have an on call weekend radiologist that could do the read.

Thanks so much Secret Santa!!