12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3187 Private Messages lichme

4 Star Reviews on Amazon

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

xxtermin8rxxx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xxtermin8rxxx

>60Hz refresh rate

Not a great deal. For this price, you could find a (slightly) smaller TV from Samsung, LG, or Sony w/ 120Hz. Not trying to bash Vizio (I think they're a decent start-up, so don't assume that, please.)

Note, most reviews on store websites are from people who might be not be highly tech-savvy, so be cautious when reading those reviews. I would go to Newegg for reviews from more tech-savvy buyers. Unfortunately, they don't have this TV, but the only 60Hz there with reviews had 3/5. Their 120Hz's listed had some great reviews (4/5, 5/5)

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

I love my Vizio TV. Absolutely love it. I love it so much that it's my only brand loyalty outside of Lock&Lock. The concept of 50" of Vizio boggles my mind. How awesome would that be?

3.8/5 stars at Best Buy; in stock for $549.99, free shipping.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3914 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Great reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at walmart.com

Kankennon

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kankennon

I have a Vizio from six years ago that still works like a champ. No complaints here.

wright88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wright88

Bought one of these new from Walmart a few weeks ago for $550. It's a gorgeous picture, have really been loving it (after adjusting the dim standard picture settings)

figgiedan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages figgiedan

OK someone please explain to me again what the big deal is between 60 and 120.... is this good for streaming movies Netflix, Hulu etc and playing my little blu-rays and old school dvds or am I going to be sad and considered a fool amongst the geniuses here who know better than to dust off their wallets, those who are often trolling the message boards late in the evening, looking to dispense wisdom to those of us uninformed buffoons who will in turn love you for making them see the light? Thanks in advance. I have money to burn.

sparkerjc

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sparkerjc
figgiedan wrote:OK someone please explain to me again what the big deal is between 60 and 120.... is this good for streaming movies Netflix, Hulu etc and playing my little blu-rays and old school dvds or am I going to be sad and considered a fool amongst the geniuses here who know better than to dust off their wallets, those who are often trolling the message boards late in the evening, looking to dispense wisdom to those of us uninformed buffoons who will in turn love you for making them see the light? Thanks in advance. I have money to burn.

The biggest argument I have always heard is motion blur in 60hz TVs specifically while watching things like football.

However, I think its BS.

quote: "When flat-panel HDTVs were in their infancy, they suffered from motion blur. LCDs in particular tended to display distinct blurriness during very fast on-screen movements because of "ghosting," or the afterimage left after the image on the screen has changed. LCD technology has progressed a great deal over the past several years, and now ghosting and motion blur have been all but eliminated. If you've purchased an LCD HDTV in the last two years, it probably won't show noticeable blur at its standard 60Hz refresh rate."

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

Sontiago

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Sontiago

my 46 inch vizio just died this last sat. after working for 2 mnths shy of 4 years.. not what I would consider acceptable and after looking online I discovered hundreds of thousands of people with "burned up" power supply boards and main boards in these tvs.. so I shant be getting another one..i have a 60 inch panasonice plasma that is going on 11 years old now without a single problem...

wright88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wright88

Yeah, my Vizio is 60 Hz, and sports games (NBA, NFL, etc.) look amazing on it. Definitely no blurring I can detect.

Orion62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Orion62
sparkerjc wrote:The biggest argument I have always heard is motion blur in 60hz TVs specifically while watching things like football.

However, I think its BS.

quote: "When flat-panel HDTVs were in their infancy, they suffered from motion blur. LCDs in particular tended to display distinct blurriness during very fast on-screen movements because of "ghosting," or the afterimage left after the image on the screen has changed. LCD technology has progressed a great deal over the past several years, and now ghosting and motion blur have been all but eliminated. If you've purchased an LCD HDTV in the last two years, it probably won't show noticeable blur at its standard 60Hz refresh rate."

Agreed. I have watched 240 hz units and my eyes "dance". I have to look away. 120 is fine and I watch sports on my 42", 60 Hz LG with none of the dreaded "blur". Most likely typical ad hype.
Buy this NOW! Your 60 Hz version is obsolete.

steve6936

quality posts: 1 Private Messages steve6936

It's without a doubt about the motion blur. There is a big change going from 60 to 120 and now 240 if you want.

sparkerjc wrote:The biggest argument I have always heard is motion blur in 60hz TVs specifically while watching things like football.

However, I think its BS.

pcjabber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pcjabber

My roommate just got a 50" Vizio a few weeks ago (different model: the E500i-A0), and it's beautiful. Thin bezel, brilliant picture, etc. I think he paid around $700 at Best Buy, FWIW.

bcarr123

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bcarr123

Granted, my tv is a Sharp, but it is over 6 years old and it is only 60 hz and I have never noticed blur on it. I watch alot of auto racing and other sports and never noticed an issue. I am not an expert but I would not hesitate to buy another 60 hz tv (although I see now they are 240 hz now).

yayobama

quality posts: 12 Private Messages yayobama

Electron Wizard

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Electron Wizard

To All,

Blur and frame rate are two different animals. Blur is related to the time that it takes a pixel to change. In this case it is specified as being 8 ms or eight one thousandth of a second. If you try to update the picture faster than that, you will get blurring of the image as the pixels are in the middle of changing when they are told to change again.

Frame rate is how often the entire display is updated. In the case of progressive scan material this is 60 hz or sixty times per second. To get to 120 hz the tv is inserting a made up frame in between each of the normal frames.

The quality of these made-up frames depends on the video processor of the tv, the quality of the source material, and of the type of image that is being displayed.

All this means that you may or may not perceive an increase or decrease in the quality of your viewing.

I have a fairly good projector that throws onto a 135 in. screen and I am nitpicky about image quality. The best example of frame interpolation is white credits rolling on a black background. It makes for an absoluetly smooth motion of the words. This is an easy case though. At the opposite end, when watching a football game with less than a perfect broadcast, the football can disappear when it is punted or passed, as the processor can't pick out the ball amid all of the other clutter in order to emphasize it.

So, do you need 120 or 240 hz? I don't. But if a manufacturer does not include it he is beaten up by the competion as being "inferior."

PhonyGal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PhonyGal

I bought a refurbished Vizio 50" TV about 7 years ago for $1000. I still marvel at the quality of picture and the sound is great. I have never hooked it up to a sound system because the quality of the sound system on the TV is so good. I sometimes catch myself looking behind me to see what made that noise when I realize it was the TV. If I had room for another 50 inch Vizio, I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Phonygal
75 items, 12 of them crap!

gak0090

quality posts: 86 Private Messages gak0090
figgiedan wrote:OK someone please explain to me again what the big deal is between 60 and 120.... is this good for streaming movies Netflix, Hulu etc and playing my little blu-rays and old school dvds or am I going to be sad and considered a fool amongst the geniuses here who know better than to dust off their wallets, those who are often trolling the message boards late in the evening, looking to dispense wisdom to those of us uninformed buffoons who will in turn love you for making them see the light? Thanks in advance. I have money to burn.

This is a good article about it
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

There is a lot of marketing hype that goes into refresh rates- this article puts it into perspective.

renatus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages renatus

the 120-240hz thing is ridiculous (to me) but I'm only interested in "cinema" kind of stuff not sports. Still even sports will not lose anything thing at "regular old" 60hz; though it's possible modern HD sports are shot at pretty high frame rates so there may be more information there to work with for the occasional close up shots with lots of motion.
Any kind of "cinema" thing is basically destroyed by that cheesy higher refresh rate, so if you want to watch movies DO NOT get these higher refresh rate TV's or just turn off that mode when you do. Have a look in a store display at one with a movie on it and you'll see; it basically adds the lovely soap opera look that is achieved by interlaced camera settings that technology has taken us beyond.
Most newer prime time TV shows and all movies are shot at 24 frames per second or 24P (Progressive digital cinema cameras), this is what gives movies that distinctively pretty, chunky look, because a tiny bit of motion blur is NORMAL and part of the cinema viewing experience. To take that out is really nasty looking.
Again for SPORTS, maybe not so, but I'm not into sports viewing so that's a different story. but you won't miss any "action", these networks have been producing these games for 50+ years, you'll never miss anything because of a TV switch, I promise. Also video games are a diff story but games rely more on response time of the monitor and not this refresh rate thing, that makes up sub-frames, so games wont get much from this either.
It's a miserable meeces marketing ploy like the Chicken button on your microwave; Any microwave without it is surely inferior, right? Go ahead nuke your chicken, and tell everyone what a deal you got on all those features.

gak0090

I bought the 60" Visio E601I-A3 from Sam's club 2 weeks ago for $970. I love the TV. Very impressed with the quality. Razor LED with a cool remote that you flip over and it has a qwerty keyboard on the other side. This one uses the older CCFL backlight. The refurb warranty is only 90 days and the 1 year square trade is $69. Add up 1 yr square trade, price and shipping this TV is at $524. This is a good option on Amazon $543 that ships free with Amazon Prime:

Toshiba 50L2200U 50-Inch 60Hz LED-LCD HDTV. LED backlit along with great reviews make this a better buy for just a little more cash.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-50L2200U-50-Inch-60Hz-LED-LCD/dp/B0073K64NM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1363348378&sr=8-5&keywords=television+50+inch

Solkre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Solkre
xxtermin8rxxx wrote:>60Hz refresh rate

Not a great deal. For this price, you could find a (slightly) smaller TV from Samsung, LG, or Sony w/ 120Hz. Not trying to bash Vizio (I think they're a decent start-up, so don't assume that, please.)

Note, most reviews on store websites are from people who might be not be highly tech-savvy, so be cautious when reading those reviews. I would go to Newegg for reviews from more tech-savvy buyers. Unfortunately, they don't have this TV, but the only 60Hz there with reviews had 3/5. Their 120Hz's listed had some great reviews (4/5, 5/5)

Sells more TVs in the US than anyone else. Decent start-up.

whitehatsforhire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whitehatsforhire

60Hz / 120Hz all marketing, anything more than the media is recorded at are just calculated frames

motion blur is a thing of the past for LCD unless you buy a 5 year old TV

You must not be holding your face right.

gnaustin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gnaustin

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Vizio fan...I have 4 Vizio TV's from 27" to 55" scattered throughout the house, as well as 3 Vizio DVD players. I'll never buy another brand again. Could NOT be more pleased.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 20 Private Messages billthegunowner

I have purchased two refurb Visio's through Woot, and am very happy with both. I've had one for about a year, the other for about 6 months. They come packaged in their original box, and the TVs themselves cannot be told from new. I noticed this one doesn't have the internet apps, which is a must for me. I use Netflix and Rhapsody. If you don't need the internet apps, and are on the fence, go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Bill

iamis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages iamis

I'd like one but don't dare to. The last Vizio refurb I bought died within weeks of the warranty running out. The cost to repair was not worth the risk so it is sitting in my pile of junk that's there as a reminder for me not to take my chances again.

seulater

quality posts: 1 Private Messages seulater

A LCD TV is useless at 60hz. Fast action movies suck at 60hz, need 120hz.

golncor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages golncor

Get outta here with your ' decent start-up '.. pfffft

Vizio has been around for several years. If you don't like Vizio, just say so..

nurlip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nurlip

I was so pumped to see a 50" Vizio for $449 on Woot as i love Vizio. My 42" Vizio is 3 years old and going strong but my living room is bigger now so its nearly time for an upgrade. BUT LCD for 449 and refurbed? No thanks . LED is the way to go, you'll be able to get a 50" LED Vizio on sale for $600 or less at some point this year.

gak0090

nurlip wrote:I was so pumped to see a 50" Vizio for $449 on Woot as i love Vizio. My 42" Vizio is 3 years old and going strong but my living room is bigger now so its nearly time for an upgrade. BUT LCD for 449 and refurbed? No thanks . LED is the way to go, you'll be able to get a 50" LED Vizio on sale for $600 or less at some point this year.

They are both LCD panel televisions

LED is the backlight vs CCFL cold cathode fluorescent lamp backlight that is in older/cheaper models. Unfortunately the way they advertise these is deceptive and some people actually think the panel is LED. But you are right that an LED backlight is better technology and the way to go especially since the price has come down so much on them. I bet that CCFL backlighting won't be around much longer.

roberto188

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roberto188

The only difference between a 120hz TV and a 60hz TV is that when you play DVDs or Bluray movies that are run at 23.97fps or approximately 24fps you won't get any judder.

To further explain, a 120hz TV, refreshes the screen 120 times a second. So, if you have a movie that has 24 frames per second, the TV will display each frame 5 times exactly, 25 x 5 = 120. This allows the movie motion to remain smooth and keep the proper movie timing.

With a 60HZ TV the TV cannot display each frame for an equal amount of time as 24 does not go into 60 evenly. So some frames are displayed for a shorter time than others. This results in what is called motion judder. Keep in mind now, that we are talking about differences of 1/60 of second. MOST normal people never even notice it. Personally, I've never seen a difference between the two.

That is the difference between the two. 60hz vs 120hz has NOTHING to do with motion blur or smearing like during a football game. That has to do with pixel response time, which is totally unrelated to refresh rate. Besides, TV is broadcast in 30 frames per second, so a 60hz TV can display broadcast TV perfectly. Anyway, almost all name brand LCDs nowadays have a good enough pixel response time to prevent any real blurring or smearing.

Bottom line...don't worry about the 120hz unless you are a AV officionado, which it appears you aren't.

hpn4o

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hpn4o

The Hz ratings are quite subjective and should not be considered a definitive indicator of picture quality.

jpiles2010

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpiles2010
Sontiago wrote:my 46 inch vizio just died this last sat. after working for 2 mnths shy of 4 years.. not what I would consider acceptable and after looking online I discovered hundreds of thousands of people with "burned up" power supply boards and main boards in these tvs.. so I shant be getting another one..i have a 60 inch panasonice plasma that is going on 11 years old now without a single problem...

Stop watching 8 hours of TV every day. If you see the TV screen and eat hoagies, then its not excersize

jadkins725

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jadkins725

Agreed, you can get a Vizio 120Hz, 47in Smart TV, with WiFI from Bestbuy for about the same price.

jadkins725

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jadkins725
roberto188 wrote:The only difference between a 120hz TV and a 60hz TV is that when you play DVDs or Bluray movies that are run at 23.97fps or approximately 24fps you won't get any judder.

To further explain, a 120hz TV, refreshes the screen 120 times a second. So, if you have a movie that has 24 frames per second, the TV will display each frame 5 times exactly, 25 x 5 = 120. This allows the movie motion to remain smooth and keep the proper movie timing.

With a 60HZ TV the TV cannot display each frame for an equal amount of time as 24 does not go into 60 evenly. So some frames are displayed for a shorter time than others. This results in what is called motion judder. Keep in mind now, that we are talking about differences of 1/60 of second. MOST normal people never even notice it. Personally, I've never seen a difference between the two.

That is the difference between the two. 60hz vs 120hz has NOTHING to do with motion blur or smearing like during a football game. That has to do with pixel response time, which is totally unrelated to refresh rate. Besides, TV is broadcast in 30 frames per second, so a 60hz TV can display broadcast TV perfectly. Anyway, almost all name brand LCDs nowadays have a good enough pixel response time to prevent any real blurring or smearing.

Bottom line...don't worry about the 120hz unless you are a AV officionado, which it appears you aren't.

60Hz vs 120Hz is not as important as refresh rate.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Sam's Club offers its members the Vizio 42" 120Hz 1080p LED-Backlit LCD HD Television, model no. E422VLE, for $398 with free shipping. (Non-members pay an extra $39.80.) That's the lowest total price we could find by $20. Sales tax is added where applicable. Features include a 1920x1080 (1080p) resolution, 120Hz refresh rate, WiFi, three HDMI inputs, and more

vanspran

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vanspran

Bought new at Costco for $499 on Wednesday. Great TV for the price. Optical Audio plug sucks, must turn off ambient light effects, couldn't get my Harmony Remote to change inputs for Activities without using Help button every time. Screen is very reflective. I would still recommend it. Oh and mine is a Smart TV, Model E502AR

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors
Electron Wizard wrote:To All,

Blur and frame rate are two different animals. Blur is related to the time that it takes a pixel to change. In this case it is specified as being 8 ms or eight one thousandth of a second. If you try to update the picture faster than that, you will get blurring of the image as the pixels are in the middle of changing when they are told to change again.

Frame rate is how often the entire display is updated. In the case of progressive scan material this is 60 hz or sixty times per second. To get to 120 hz the tv is inserting a made up frame in between each of the normal frames.

The quality of these made-up frames depends on the video processor of the tv, the quality of the source material, and of the type of image that is being displayed.

All this means that you may or may not perceive an increase or decrease in the quality of your viewing.

I have a fairly good projector that throws onto a 135 in. screen and I am nitpicky about image quality. The best example of frame interpolation is white credits rolling on a black background. It makes for an absoluetly smooth motion of the words. This is an easy case though. At the opposite end, when watching a football game with less than a perfect broadcast, the football can disappear when it is punted or passed, as the processor can't pick out the ball amid all of the other clutter in order to emphasize it.

So, do you need 120 or 240 hz? I don't. But if a manufacturer does not include it he is beaten up by the competion as being "inferior."

roberto188 wrote:The only difference between a 120hz TV and a 60hz TV is that when you play DVDs or Bluray movies that are run at 23.97fps or approximately 24fps you won't get any judder.

Two good info. posts I think, reflects my experience.
The only time I have ever noticed judder is when DVD/Bluray source movie credits are rolling on the screen and I am watching @60. I have tried watching sections of movies on 120 vs. 60 that I was sure might bring out the difference (close, fast panning scenes or close detail/high contrast) but I never saw a difference. I have watched same movie on TV OTA broadcast and movie credits roll w/no judder @60.
To my eyes the whole 60 vs. xxx hz thing is oversold.

gak0090

Here is another interesting point on the high refresh rates:

Actually, this effect can produce a distinctly artificial, unnatural feel to video. Motion can appear too smooth, almost dreamlike compared with the films and television shows we've spent decades teaching our brains to enjoy. Action can seem just slightly sped up to the point of looking unreal, and it can take you out of the experience quicker than any judder. Indeed, to many videophiles judder is just as natural as film grain, and a subtle but necessary part of watching TV and movies.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

It's funny because I remember watching a Bluray of The Avengers in a store one day, and I remember thinking distinctly that it looked like I was watching a video-taped soap opera.

workinpoor

quality posts: 15 Private Messages workinpoor

Woot! sure has had a lot of TVs lately.

Kudos to the talent there for coming up with new writeups for what is essentially the same product!