WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How Irish are you?
  • 5.3% - Totally 100% Irish for real 181
  • 52% - I've got some Irish ancestors, like almost every other white person in America 1775
  • 12.8% - Just "Irish" in quotes, for drinking purposes 436
  • 29.9% - Not at all and I'm not trying to steal your gold 1021
3413 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

FreePlayPSP

quality posts: 4 Private Messages FreePlayPSP

I've got some Irish ancestors, like lots of other black people in America.

laumaki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laumaki
FreePlayPSP wrote:I've got some Irish ancestors, like lots of other black people in America.

Isn't there such a thing as black Irish?

Har har.

berblaine

quality posts: 2 Private Messages berblaine

Usual response is how much Irish do you want in you? I'll supply up to 10"

pofigster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pofigster

My great-grandmother immigrated with her husband from Ireland to the US. So, I'm at least 1/8th Pure Irish.

TehCaspia

quality posts: 16 Private Messages TehCaspia

White. Not remotely Irish, and proud!!!

woot changed my signature...apparently linking my old blog was "advertising"...never thought I'd see anyone give Obama a run for his money on being the nanny state...

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

Mom's side has a good bit of Irish in it, but no one kept up with the lines, info ect much. Makes me sad when I look at my Dad's side of the family which is mostly German and has kept up with the family tree to a T.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

St. Paddy's day is my anniversary, so my marriage is Irish.

embhorn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages embhorn

Who seen the leprechaun say yeah!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_OSWeyn8

(this happened about three miles from my house ;-) )

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

I may have Irish ancestors, no idea. The ancestors I've been told about are Polish and Native American (I think Cherokee...never bothered to really ask). Throw in some polygamist mormon great-grandparents and you've got my lineage...

sheilby

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sheilby

I'm 200% Irish. No really.

My adoptive family is 100% Irish and so is biological family. My dad (not bio) was right off the boat and so were my mom's parents - they actually met ON the boat.

I'm off to make some soda bread now.

sheilby

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sheilby
berblaine wrote:Usual response is how much Irish do you want in you? I'll supply up to 10"

Not if you're really Irish you won't ;-)

Tuco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tuco

On St. Patrick's Day I always go to an ENGLISH pub, wear my orange shirt that says "Pinch me and I'll kick your A##" and stare down the dumba##es who wear green to an ENGLISH pub expecting anything remotely Irish.

beth84525

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beth84525

I boycott st. Patricks day every year..... i am a white woman with red hair, freckles, and pale skin. I have been called irish my whole life.... i am not irish. Not even a fraction of a percent. I am half polish, a quarter italian, and a heinz 57 mix (without irish "seasoning") for the other quarter.

beth84525

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beth84525
beth84525 wrote:I boycott st. Patricks day every year..... i am a white woman with red hair, freckles, and pale skin. I have been called irish my whole life.... i am not irish. Not even a fraction of a percent. I am half polish, a quarter italian, and a heinz 57 mix (without irish "seasoning") for the other quarter.

Come to think of it my fiance is not irish, neither is our son or any other children we will have. Non -irish household

eastcheap

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eastcheap
Tuco wrote:wear my orange shirt that says "Pinch me and I'll kick your A##"

Shouldn't that be "A###"?

swedishiron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swedishiron

This poll is IGNORANT and ignores the fact you can be non-white and part Irish. There are many Blacks in the US that are part Irish. My last name is McCracken and yes I am Black and yes I have Irish ancestors.

FreePlayPSP

quality posts: 4 Private Messages FreePlayPSP
swedishiron wrote:This poll is IGNORANT and ignores the fact you can be non-white and part Irish. There are many Blacks in the US that are part Irish. My last name is McCracken and yes I am Black and yes I have Irish ancestors.

seriously man, first post in the thread.

say592

quality posts: 1 Private Messages say592

My great grandparents came over on a boat. I have a more German name because my great grandmother remarried. Unfortunately I live about a block from Notre Dame, so even the Asians are "Irish", and St. Patrick's day is an excuse for everyone to brag about being 1/128th Irish while getting trashed on cheap green beer and proclaiming their love for the University.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
Tuco wrote:On St. Patrick's Day I always go to an ENGLISH pub, wear my orange shirt that says "Pinch me and I'll kick your A##" and stare down the dumba##es who wear green to an ENGLISH pub expecting anything remotely Irish.

Why would an Irishman go into an English sissy pub on St Pats day? I hear those English boys wear tees that say "Pinch me",I mean who wants to hang with that kind of crowd!

jcbarnes55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcbarnes55

if you'd like some Irish in you, maybe I can help {;^)

edwisch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edwisch

Many of my Iowa friends are wearing green buttons that say, "Kiss me, I'm Iowish!"

willychee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages willychee

Great Grandmother 100%! Grandpa was a mixed bag!

Harui

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Harui

None! I'm Scandinavian, German and Italian, and therefore St.Patrick's day has no relevancy for me, and neither do I drink.

I wonder how many people who aren't Irish celebrate St. Patrick's day as an excuse to drink?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein

beaglebrains

quality posts: 4 Private Messages beaglebrains
swedishiron wrote:This poll is IGNORANT and ignores the fact you can be non-white and part Irish. There are many Blacks in the US that are part Irish. My last name is McCracken and yes I am Black and yes I have Irish ancestors.

Was just watching CNN, which said the President's great grandmother was Irish.

So, O'Bama for a day, maybe?

CatCK

quality posts: 52 Private Messages CatCK

My grandma was half-Irish, so I guess that makes me 1/8th.

I'll have a beer or two today here in the safety of my home. Too many drunks will be on the roads this weekend.

Be careful, and smart, if you'll be at the bars today.

nanaejt

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nanaejt

Even if you have no Irish heritage it's a good time to celebrate the contribution the Irish have made to this country.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

My ancestry is Scottish, not Irish. When it comes to drinking, the Irish see the Scottish the way the rest of the world sees the Irish. And for good reason.

cappo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages cappo
embhorn wrote:Who seen the leprechaun say yeah!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_OSWeyn8

(this happened about three miles from my house ;-) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZfyrIPw3wY

kevin0425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevin0425

I'm so Irish I'm a dual-citizen.