StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
dallasdano wrote:I watched the video, thought I wanted one of these, but isn't a Swiss movement supposed to sweep? I call shananigans.

I call you missed the post 2 above yours that addressed this issue.

kurahee

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kurahee

I own one of these watches. Paid about twice as much for one about 18 months ago.

First, for people thinking this isn't Swiss because of the look of the movement, you are wrong. The idea of a Swiss watch is mostly where the watch and its key components are assembled. Quartz movements have the usual one second click motion that is ver distinctive. There is no "sweep" to a quartz movement, and that doesn't matter if it is made in Switzerland, Japan, or China.

So, if the front says "Swiss made" it means it was assembled in Switzerland. The movement itself could have come to Switzerland in a box from Japan, there is just no way of knowing, the fact is, an expensive watch will also tell you that it has a Swiss movement. This one doesn't.

Don't let that get you all hung up. You are paying 50 dollars for a very good (but very big) watch. The drawbacks are as follows:

1) the watch is VERY BIG AND HEAVY. If you don't like your watch to make a statement, this isn't the watch for you. On the other hand, the fit is very good, as the back is curved. So it fits nicely on the wrist. I have no problem with the watch on my wrist, as it wraps nicely around the wrist with the curved watch case. The heft, on the other hand, will take some getting used to.

2) second drawback from my POV Is it is not an automatic, but a quartz, meaning it is powered by a battery. Just one more thing you will eventually have to buy a battery for.

For the price, you are getting IMO a pretty good deal. I paid $88 for mine, and I'm still happy with it. It keeps great time, and I've never had a problem with it. I am almost tempted to pick up another one here, and just might. I just don't want to buy another watch with a battery.

Hope this helps.

kurahee

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kurahee
jgrahame wrote:A word of warning: this is a Chinese watch (note the lack of "Swiss Made" on the dial). The "Swiss quartz" movement is a Chinese Tianjin ST16 that is finished in Switzerland, allowing them to label it Swiss.

A Timex is a better bet.

Just read through the comments, and although we can't tell exactly where the movement was made, it is an excellent bet it was in china, certainly not in Switzerland. However, the movement was placed into the watch in Switzerland, which is how they can call it "Swiss made".

The fact that there is no "Swiss made" on the dial is also an indication that this watch is not a Swiss product. Switzerland has laws on how watches can be labeled to protect the quality of the "Swiss" brand.

So, for $50 you get a very large, (and IMHO) well made watch that keeps good time... If you want something better, prepare to shell out much more money.

Oh, and don't plan on working on your car with this thing! It IS huge!

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

woot.. check your watch.. time for next woot item.

redeyespr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redeyespr

What about #6? I says black dial/black band, but the picture is a silver dial. That's the one I ordered and I want to make sure I get the silver dial.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

redeyespr wrote:What about #6? I says black dial/black band, but the picture is a silver dial. That's the one I ordered and I want to make sure I get the silver dial.

That one is correct. The dial is mostly black. It matches the photo at Amazon as well.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

redeyespr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redeyespr
ThunderThighs wrote:That one is correct. The dial is mostly black. It matches the photo at Amazon as well.

Thanks! I would say that dial is mostly silver with black numbers, but as long as it matches the picture you linked, I'm good.

mikebear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikebear

Watch band broke under the weight of the watch after 3 months. Ridiculously thick and heavy watch. Zero customer support. Makes me consider never buying from Woot again.

mikebear