Poll: The best of the John Hughes-connected '80s teen comedies is, of course:
  • 5.7% - Sixteen Candles 216
  • 2.1% - Pretty in Pink 81
  • 28% - The Breakfast Club 1065
  • 1.6% - Some Kind of Wonderful 60
  • 52.3% - Ferris Bueller's Day Off 1989
  • 10.3% - Weird Science 391
3802 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

The Breakfast Club is the only movie on the list that can make kids in high school evaluate their lives, so it wins.

LOLobo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LOLobo

What the hell?
Three words...

LONG

DUCK

DONG

!!!

lonelypond

quality posts: 414 Private Messages lonelypond

Ferris!!!!!!!!!

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

Who??

melb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melb

It was a toss up between Ferris and Breakfast Club...

Ferris won...

Cridds

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Cridds

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

nelsontrek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nelsontrek

These are ALL great movies!! So hard to pick one. But I went with Kelly LeBrock!

FlamingoNut

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FlamingoNut
LOLobo wrote:What the hell?
Three words...

LONG

DUCK

DONG

!!!

My personal favorite out of the bunch; surprised at the low vote count! But, they're all good movies, except for "Some kind of wonderful"; never heard of it.

No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!

penrodius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages penrodius

It is hard to choose which really says a lot about how good he was at capturing the 80's and also how miserable meeces many 80's movies were.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 16 Private Messages daveinwarshington
mdkopper wrote:Who??

Agreed.
Who? should have been a choice here...

workinpoor

quality posts: 15 Private Messages workinpoor
curtisuxor wrote:The Breakfast Club is the only movie on the list that can make kids in high school evaluate their lives, so it wins.

Well-put! And for an 80's flick, the acting, dialogue, issues, antics, etc. are pretty timeless. I still occasionally use the line "Demented and sad, but social."

spirit9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spirit9

Bueller, Bueller? Ben Stein's brief appearance was one of best scenes in the movie!

lusluckylad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lusluckylad

This poll would have been more interesting if it was the best - excluding, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".

It's almost like asking which food you like best out of Brussels sprouts, raisins, haggish or bacon?

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime

I sure misjudged this one. I thought it would be a runaway for The Breakfast Club. All are pretty good (but next to Some Kind of Wonderful, Ferris is my least favorite), but BC is is the only one that is in regular rotation in my local movie house's "classic movie series" alongside such titles as Casablanca, The Godfather and Wizard of Oz.

nkoelsch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nkoelsch

The Donga need food!

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

dootsie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dootsie
Cridds wrote:Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Well, a group of us are collecting money to buy Ferris Bueller a new kidney. They run about 50 g's, so if you wouldn't mind helping out...

jeparz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeparz
spirit9 wrote:Bueller, Bueller? Ben Stein's brief appearance was one of best scenes in the movie!

OOOOOOH-YEAH!!

jeparz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeparz
lusluckylad wrote:This poll would have been more interesting if it was the best - excluding, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".

It's almost like asking which food you like best out of Brussels sprouts, raisins, haggish or bacon?

Only one "h" in haggis (I can't believe anyone eats it)

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

I had no idea what Ferris was about, the day I cut school to go watch it. ;-)

SKoW was seriously underrated though. Love that song by Lick The Tins.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

I would have voted Ferris, but the theme from The Breakfast Club is now lodged in my head for the day.

/earworm

jfiorello68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfiorello68

As much as I love Ferris, I really think The Breakfast Club kind of defined the generation. I am the same age as Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall so it really resonated with me.

blumissy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blumissy
jfiorello68 wrote:As much as I love Ferris, I really think The Breakfast Club kind of defined the generation. I am the same age as Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall so it really resonated with me.

I second this!

natalieug

quality posts: 11 Private Messages natalieug

There isn't a single woman currently in the 39 to 49 yr-old age range who didn't want to be Molly Ringwald in the final scene of Sixteen Candles when they saw that movie for the first time!

neuromonic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neuromonic
nelsontrek wrote:These are ALL great movies!! So hard to pick one. But I went with Kelly LeBrock!

SAME!

abbott8471

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abbott8471

I was fortunate to be a teen of this movie era and while all of them seemed to understand us none did it better than Breakfast Club. Every teen went to school with those five kids or was one of them.

Brian M Abbott

AirportComputers

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AirportComputers

SAVE FERRIS!

jeffredo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jeffredo

The Breakfast Club made me think and Ferris made me laugh (and even think a little too).

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
jeparz wrote:Only one "h" in haggis (I can't believe anyone eats it)

Extra sheep parts in a sheep's stomach, or extra pig parts in a pig's intestine: which is nastier?

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom

I was in my twenties when these came out, so I have to go with National Lampoon's Vacation, which had a couple of teens in it.

Hughes wrote some great stories for the Lampoon in the '70s, and you can find some online. Vacation was based on "Vacation '58". Here is a foreword he wrote for a reprint.

He also wrote two great stories about teens who woke up with different body parts. I think I might get moderated if I name them, but you can find them easily enough by searching for John Hughes and "My V-" and "My P-", substituting the body parts that start with those letters and differientiate boys and girls.

oboysmom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oboysmom

Though my husband does still quote Ferris I've got to go with the Breakfast Club. My 15 year old just watched it and thought it was great. It is timeless.

Holysin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Holysin

Wow, me and the other 45 people are the only ones to properly embrace MSM (Mary Stuart Masterson) and some kind of wonderful. Sigh

If you're a hughes fan and haven't seen it, do check it out, then change your vote ;)

trbofr13nd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trbofr13nd

The Breakfast Club is a pile of garbage

Sig sig sig sig sig

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime
ckeilah wrote:I had no idea what Ferris was about, the day I cut school to go watch it. ;-)

SKoW was seriously underrated though. Love that song by Lick The Tins.

You got to love that the Youtube video says "original". I guess Elvis Presley is so obscure he doesn't really count. (Not to mention the melody dates back to the 18th century)

pointermom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pointermom

Oh how could you pick just one?
A girlfriend of mine always said if she had a son, she was going to name him "Jake Ryan"
(16 Candles dream boy for any of you neomaxizoomed dweebies who didn't know)
And sure enough, there is a young Jake Ryan running around today.
It is actually a nice name. She coulda picked Farmer Ted.

kyle2ooo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kyle2ooo

Home alone

first2summit

quality posts: 7 Private Messages first2summit

Of the movies listed, I'd say only Ferris and Weird Science are the only true comedies. The others were dramas with some funny moments.

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen
HomerTime wrote:You got to love that the Youtube video says "original". I guess Elvis Presley is so obscure he doesn't really count. (Not to mention the melody dates back to the 18th century)

...and I was so sure that UB40 were the original artists of that song! j/k

bout2causesumpain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bout2causesumpain

What is wrong with you people Ferris Bueller's Day Off is probably the weakest of these films behind Some kind of Wonderfull. I'm a dude so I voted for weird science but I could see any of the others winning.

nastyducky

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nastyducky

Ferris Bueller, last time Charlie Sheen actually gave a good performance and looked like a human being - ironically, he was playing a drug addict. The scenes with him and Jennifer Grey are great, also the ones with the school principle and the dog. I also remember the shock I felt when the car went through the plate glass window, down into the wooded area below.