WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We've eaten British Kit Kats We've eaten Easter eggs. But today we're taking on the staple of snack foods that every human being must eat at one time or another: THE NOBLE POTATO CHIP!

Don't they look great? Sure are a lot better than those other snooty flavors a bunch of fancy-pants comedians reviewed. No, we're not jealous they did it first. We never even WANTED to review those chips. We wanted to review THESE chips from the START!

And after the jump, we will. See you inside.

Our eatin' team was well prepped for today's challenge. Jason Toon skipped lunch to be ready, and our department head even stopped by to see why were making so much noise… and then joined in! Had we known, we would have used the fine china and maybe washed our hands first.

At exactly one-thirty PM, the bags were ripped open, and the taste test was on.

Contestant One was Ruffles Ultimate: Kickin' Jalapeno Ranch. Strangely enough, that wouldn't be the longest name of the day. As you can see from the photo above, this chip was crunchy with just a teeny dash of spice, and there was a small debate if the ruffles would qualify as frequency or amplitude. But the chip itself was well received. 9/10.

Contestant Two was the Lay's Tapatio (with a hint of Limon!) and the first of our dramatic revelations. Writer Sam admitted he did NOT like Lay's! Had we known his clear bias, we NEVER would have let him in.

The judges thought the fruity lime blast was a nice addition to the spice, but thought the overall chip was too light. Jason mentioned that there was no way he could eat a whole bag of these, but no one was sure if that was a positive or a negative. 7/10.

Our fourth contestant a the marketing blitz of slogans and flavors. Doritos: Jacked: Ranch Dipped Hot Wings. Before today, no other chip needed to be cross-categorized. The big complaint were that these chips were super big, and impossible to eat in one bite. Even still, there were no complaints about the flavor, and conversation shifted to fond memories of awkward situations at childhood parties where Dorito fingers caused embarrassment. And that's gotta count for something, right? 7/10.

We did try to be fair by inviting Popchips to the party, but their Thai Sweet Chili Potato… well, the consensus was that this chip was just overreaching, and had some flavors nobody could identify, and not enough of them. But hey, all natural, right? Maybe they'll come back next year with their Salt and Vinegar a-game and sweep the whole thing. But not today. And not with this flavor. 5/10.

The controversial Lay's BLT was our penultimate challenger, but carried with it a very mixed reaction. Dave, the vegetarian, abstained. Jason, the mostly-vegetarian, said it was lacking in the LT flavor. Everyone agreed there was an overwhelming taste of bacon, but not real bacon, potato chip bacon. Overall, the clash didn't carry all the judges, but those who did enjoy it said they'd eat it again. 6.5/10.

And lastly, the Kettle Brand Fully Loaded Baked Potato. Smokey, cheesey, maybe hints of scallions, and- well, one of the judges spat hers in the trash can. A few of the judges liked this one, thanks to the crunchy firm slices, but those who hated it hated it. Much like the Popchips, a good idea with a not-so-good flavor. But come back next year, Kettle. You've got a future ahead of you. 5/10.

The winner, surprisingly, was the Ruffles Ultimate: Kickin' Jalapeno Ranch! In it's honor, the bag was consumed and then sent to a bronzing facility where it will be turned into a small trophy. And remember to keep an eye on the blog. The next time we get hungry, we'll share it!

senordunda

quality posts: 4 Private Messages senordunda

Zapp's Spicy Cajun Crawtators. Hard to get outside of Louisiana, but they're the best.

Buffoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Buffoon

My opinion of the "Classic BLT" Lays was that they were obviously made by people who had never tasted a BLT. I thought it was quite possibly the worst potato chip I had ever put in my mouth. I had maybe three out of the whole bag and not only threw the rest away, but took the garbage out so that the smell of those God-awful things wouldn't be in my kitchen.

mutedexposure

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mutedexposure

The more you eat of those BLT ones the less you taste flavor and the more you taste powdered chemicals.

I gave up potato chips for lent so even though some of these sound gross I would eat a whole bag of them right now. I substituted my chips with rold gold peppermint white fudge covered pretzels. If you have never had them you are missing out.

I look to the future because that's where I'm going to spend the rest of my life.
- George Burns

mossygreen

quality posts: 65 Private Messages mossygreen
senordunda wrote:Zapp's Spicy Cajun Crawtators. Hard to get outside of Louisiana, but they're the best.

I have seen them in Big Lots in Southern CA and possibly northern IL. But it's kind of random. They are indeed quite good.

sanctusreal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sanctusreal

Doritoes Honey BBQ chips were the BEST...they have had several that come close, and their JACKED: Chipotle BBQ is closing in on the flavor, though the JACKED chip is annoyingly monstrous.

My bro and I have petitioned Doritoes to send us a pallet since they still produce it for international purposes...but to no avail

wkmtca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wkmtca

if you didn't try regular lays than you did not try enough chips.

Zarabear

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zarabear

Agreed, you needed to have some base line chips. Lays regular, perhaps classic BBQ... 😉

Too many to list... Woot on, Wayne.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

You guys needed to try the Sriracha potato chips... those are pretty tasty.

rbrownapr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rbrownapr

I agree with some a couple of them before me: if you are tasting as a contest, you need some baseline options (regular, kettle cooked regular, baked regular, etc.).

Moueska

quality posts: 52 Private Messages Moueska

WHAAAT?! Amy didn't like the Baked Potato?!

Actually out of the above chips, that's the only one I've had IRL. I did like enough to buy it a couple other times, but my favorite by far is Lay's Kettle chips with Cracked Pepper and Sea Salt.

Tastes like chicken. OMNOMNOM

moviewatcher

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moviewatcher

Not to be picky... Oh heck... specifically to be picky, but shouldn't a potato chip challenge use potato chips? The Popchips barely qualify, reconstituted instant mashed potato flakes, but Doritos? Any flavor? Sorry, but those are CORN tortilla chips. Shouldn't they have stayed at home waiting their turn in the tortilla/corn chip challenge? I always thought Doritos had more self-esteem than to try and get praise in a potato chip gathering.

Slydon

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

Moueska wrote:WHAAAT?! Amy didn't like the Baked Potato?

I don't think Amy participated in this one. We have other, less visible women in this office as well.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

Moueska

Slydon wrote:I don't think Amy participated in this one. We have other, less visible women in this office as well.

Tsk. Way to take away my chance to pick on Amy. XD

But I've tried the Baked Potato kettle chip before when I was trying to find an alternative to the cracked pepper and sea salt chips; I loved 'em.

amynance

quality posts: 6 Private Messages amynance

Staff

Moueska wrote:WHAAAT?! Amy didn't like the Baked Potato?!

OMNOMNOM

I took no part in this tasting. But for the record, I tried that baked potato chip later. And it was nasty.

Moueska

amynance wrote:I took no part in this tasting. But for the record, I tried that baked potato chip later. And it was [redacted].

Fix'd!

To each their own, though. I wouldn't have TOUCHED the hot sauce ones.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
senordunda wrote:Zapp's Spicy Cajun Crawtators. Hard to get outside of Louisiana, but they're the best.

A bag of Crawtators has been spotted in the office. No attempt to share them has been made and the person who has them will be judged harshly until they do.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

Slydon

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

Gatzby wrote:A bag of Crawtators has been spotted in the office. No attempt to share them has been made and the person who has them will be judged harshly until they do.

Those are a gift for an employee's fiancee, who can't get those in the Pacific Northwest. They are off limits to testing or eating without her permission.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

ndk0911

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ndk0911

i used to work at a resturant here in Houston that had them. I would steal bags of them and bring them home, they were pretty bomb.