5%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

It's reviewed in two different places on amazon: once with 3.5/5 stars (11 reviews) and once with 3.7/5 stars (three reviews). People praise it for being quiet and criticize it for being loud. Seems like it generally does a nice job of removing moisture from the air and the ability to empty it without removing the bucket seems like a great feature.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3165 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of very good reviews (4.7 out of 5.0) over at sylvane.com

sdc100

quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100

I wonder how much electricity this uses as compared to an air conditioner. There is no wattage rating in the description. The latter can be bought for as little as $89 and also removes humidity, in addition to cooling the air. If this uses a lot less electricity, then having this on with a fan should be enough unless the day is very hot.

sdc100

quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100

TRIVIA
2012 was the 110th anniversary of the first room air conditioner. Little known is the fact that it was actually invented to dehumidfy, not to cool. Teh fact that it cooled was just a lucky side effect. Humidity is one of the worst enemies of a printing press. Paper curls and jams, and inks dry more slowly. To solve this, cold water was sent through large pipes in the room. Just like a cold milk container in a warm room, water could condense on the cold surface, removing moisture from the air. Fans blowing on the pipes was meant to blow humid air onto the pipers. but the fact that the pipe's coldness circulated throughout the room was a lucky bonus.

Just thought you'd like to know...

sdc100 wrote:I wonder how much electricity this uses as compared to an air conditioner. There is no wattage rating in the description. The latter can be bought for as little as $89 and also removes humidity, in addition to cooling the air. If this uses a lot less electricity, then having this on with a fan should be enough unless the day is very hot.

rotorbird

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rotorbird

Operator's Guide:

http://www.sylvane.com/images/prodphoto/wi1909/winix-wdh851-dehumidifier-owners-manual.pdf

Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature!

norsloperes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norsloperes

That would make 2013 the 111th anniversary. How tempus fugit.

siestafiesta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages siestafiesta
sdc100 wrote:I wonder how much electricity this uses as compared to an air conditioner. There is no wattage rating in the description. The latter can be bought for as little as $89 and also removes humidity, in addition to cooling the air. If this uses a lot less electricity, then having this on with a fan should be enough unless the day is very hot.

We have a similar unit and it uses quite a bit of power, like a window AC. Running continuosly our bill was about $40-50 per month higher for the three months we needed it. Also keep in mind it exhausts heat into the room, not cold air. I now wonder if a portable A/C might not have been a better idea.

webyourstuff

quality posts: 3 Private Messages webyourstuff
siestafiesta wrote:We have a similar unit and it uses quite a bit of power, like a window AC. Running continuosly our bill was about $40-50 per month higher for the three months we needed it. Also keep in mind it exhausts heat into the room, not cold air. I now wonder if a portable A/C might not have been a better idea.

That's a LOT of electricity!

webyourstuff

quality posts: 3 Private Messages webyourstuff

How hot does this get?

siestafiesta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages siestafiesta
webyourstuff wrote:How hot does this get?

Mine is a different manufacturer, but mine blows a good bit of hot air out - thus adding to the cooling cost of the house in summer. Think of the exhaust air on a window AC only inside your house.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

For what it's worth as background info, I bought one of those "Haier" (and other names) roll-around AC units that also dehumidifies.

The unit I have has a bad design that supposedly blows the moisture out the window via a duct, but the inner tray fills too fast and it doesn't work.

The solution was to put a bit of hose in the unit's "seasonal drain hole", elevate it and have it drip into a plastic tub.

If you can find one cheap, it will work as AC and dehumidifier.

On days when it is really muggy, I would just as soon use the same amount of power to do both at the same time. I was pulling gallons of water out of the air!

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

OhioDawg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OhioDawg

not intended to cool the air, it's for removing moisture from air for places like your basement which are usually high moisture areas and already cool.

RaisinROM

quality posts: 10 Private Messages RaisinROM

Not listed in Consumer Reports. Company website doesn't even list them any longer. After more research, it seems that Winix has stopped making dehumidifiers: from the Home Depot site: Winix 70 Pint Dehumidifier with Built-in Pump-DISCONTINUED

Does anyone know what the deal is with this and how it might affect the warranty ?

Dazzle DVD, Tornado USB, No Crank Hose Reel, SCREAMING Monkey, Woot Off Lights, Solar Panel, Ion USB Turntable, Power Squid, Sansa, Slacker, Ed Hardy RC Plane, EzyFlare, iPod, hammer, tv, A N D . . . my FIRST Bag of Coal !!!!!!!!!!! After that: Little Giant ladder, large button remotes for dad, Dremel Multi-Max tool, Vornado Fan, Emerson Timer, Oliso Iron, EZY Flares, LED Safety Triangle, Dyson DC21, Screaming Monkeys, Mini CamCorder

adapa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adapa

here in the North East this is a basement unit, not a Air conditioner!

As a basement unit, the feature for pumping the excess water up 15' is fabulous. It eliminates the need to carry the 2 gal bucket up from the basement every day or two.
I plan on opening up a basement window & putting the water pipe into the window well. Our soil is mostly sand so it drains exceptionally good. I may have to dig a small hole as a basin.

cokac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cokac
sdc100 wrote:I wonder how much electricity this uses ...

If I had to guess, it's somewhere around 450-900 watts per hour of constant use. 450 on the low end with no pump engaged. 900 on the high end with the pump kicking on when the bucket is full.
A Frigidaire 5000btu ($250) portable uses 560 watts per hour. An LG 1311BXR 13000BTU ($500) uses 1340 watts per hour. BOTH NEED TO BE WINDOW VENTED for the hot exhaust air.
The price for this unit is a decent price. I paid around $140 for the Harier I bought from a Wallyworld. Compared to a quick online price check for 'dehumidifier with pump' its a pretty good price.
The Harier is still working but I'm not sure for how much longer. I've had it for 4 years. This would be a nice replacement. The one I had before (Goldstar) lasted 5 years.
Not sure if I'm ready to double down since I don't need it right now. And I don't need a model with a pump (no drain nearby).

nb587

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nb587

I have the same question as RaisonRom regarding the warranty. The product is not listed on the company web site. Woot is showing this as new with a 1 year warranty. I'm concerned that it will be difficult to replace with new if it is defective.

saint365

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saint365
nb587 wrote:I have the same question as RaisonRom regarding the warranty. The product is not listed on the company web site. Woot is showing this as new with a 1 year warranty. I'm concerned that it will be difficult to replace with new if it is defective.

I bought this from sylvane at much higher price, but I did ask them about warranty. It seems like Winix has servicing center in IL, so if something goes wrong I was told Item is covered and will be taken care of.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante

I just bought 2 new dehumidifiers (Soleus and Frigidaire) to replace my old one. An interesting thing that I have noticed is that in the winter the 2 new ones do not turn on due to the typical winter dryness. The old one was not as efficient and always turned off and on all times of the year. I am actually saving about $15 a month using two dehumidifiers (because they do not turn on in the winter) versus the old one.

ljcarr1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ljcarr1

Mold and mildew not good. Me want dehumidifier.Yummy.

rellimekim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rellimekim

Keep in mind that a dehumidifier can be set to a particular humidity and an air conditioner to a particular temperature. I have both in my room and have perfectly controlled temperature and humidity. The air conditioner removes some humidity but the dehumidifier takes over when the air conditioner has done its part. The dehumidifier also warms the room when it's cold and the air conditioner is not running.

jafo252

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jafo252

Does this automatically shut off at the desired humidity level or does it stay on constantly? I have one that runs 24/7, but the compressor kicks on when it needs it.

bubbanunez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubbanunez

If you go to the aforementioned sylvane product page - and click on the 'specs' tab, it says that the dehumidifier is 640 watts.

I run one of another brand in my basement and find that once it hits the target humidity level, it only runs a portion of the time; more in the summer than winter.

Taking other measures can lower the overall humidity in your basement and reduce dehumidifier run times - Drylocking and/or Xypex-ing walls, sloping the house away from the basement, getting gutters (yeah, some houses don't have them) to keep water away from house, and getting a good sump pump the keep the water table below basement grade. I guess waterproofing companies do even more but those steps have really helped reduce the moisture level in my basement.

Three cheers for dehumidifiers, though.

imgja

quality posts: 1 Private Messages imgja

In a condo with very old single pane windows with aluminum framing. In the bedrooms especially moisture just runs down the windows (human bodies do excrete moisture all the time), the dehumidifier is an absolute requirement. Must keep mold & mildew at bay.

alth0017

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alth0017

Wow...look at all the sales in the Eastern US...those people must be really rich and have lots of money. None of the westerners are buying today...its like they don't have a use for this...like low humidity or something. Mind blowing.

leinoffs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leinoffs

Woot won't let me buy the dehumidifier. Is there a problem with the servers?

duresky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duresky
leinoffs wrote:Woot won't let me buy the dehumidifier. Is there a problem with the servers?

Must be because I'm trying to buy something else on woot and am unable to.

leinoffs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leinoffs
duresky wrote:Must be because I'm trying to buy something else on woot and am unable to.

Apparently my brother can get to the "Buy Now" screen with the "stupidly large button", but he doesn't want a dehumidifier.

shayes18

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shayes18
leinoffs wrote:Apparently my brother can get to the "Buy Now" screen with the "stupidly large button", but he doesn't want a dehumidifier.

Ugg i cant login to buy either

forrestmm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forrestmm
shayes18 wrote:Ugg i cant login to buy either

same here...

freemark0211

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freemark0211

If you have a window to put an ac unit in, only want to use it in warm weather, and want to cool the room get an ac unit. If you want dehumidification year round get a dehumidifier. Just remember a dehumidifier will always make a room warmer when it runs.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante
shayes18 wrote:Ugg i cant login to buy either

i cannot buy one also, oh well, 2 is probably enough,

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Sorry about that. I've just reported the problems.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry about that. I've just reported the problems.

Try now. Others are reporting that they can order now.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cappo

quality posts: 31 Private Messages cappo

TT to the Rescue!

But everyone's gone.

MacGarage

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MacGarage

I received mine Tuesday...very quick shipping!

Mine has worked as listed. I have it in an outbuilding that is about 40 degrees right now. It brought down the humidity about 10 percent pretty quickly. So far, so good.

ericbres

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericbres
MacGarage wrote:I received mine Tuesday...very quick shipping!

Mine has worked as listed. I have it in an outbuilding that is about 40 degrees right now. It brought down the humidity about 10 percent pretty quickly. So far, so good.

Fed-Ex man carried mine to the door yesterday (New Hampshire). Very happy to see it so soon!

Pobonobo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pobonobo

I got mine today, thanks for the fast shipping Woot!. It's not too loud, I will probably just run it for small amounts during the daytime. I bought it for inside my rental house, the master bathroom has no vent and the house and master bedroom get too humid because of this.

plmartin777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plmartin777

We are pretty dissatisfied with the noise level. It definitely has to be placed in a very out-of-the-way location. Not a huge fan of the way the controls work either. Would return, but too much of a hassle.

atryus28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atryus28

I purchased this unit for my basement. It gave me issues with the automatic pump for a while.

Unfortunately, today when I went in the basement I found that the unit no longer functions at all. I will now need to deal with support and possible replacement. I will post back with my experience, however, it looks like actual replacements need to come from woot. The documentation says to return it to the place it was purchased from.

UPDATE:
I just called winix. They said they do not deal with woot.com, so I would need to contact woot.

She also mentioned that there have been a lot of calls from/for woot.com.

Looks like maybe they canceled this product for a reason darn it. I want another one or my money back then. 2 months does not make for a quality product.