Flats

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Flats
casey00001 wrote:So Mike if I buy a five year warranty from Costco with my Mastercard, you will automatically give me a ten year warranty?

You're talking about buying an extended warranty. Which extends the manufacturer's warranty. As the poster indicated MC (and Visa and other better credit cards) extend the manufacturer's warranty. So, uh, no is the answer to your question.

ericjtucker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ericjtucker
nscharf wrote:Thank you for being the first person to point this out. I came here to say this.

Yep! Sorry Woot - Costco beats you on this one.

jakepaul86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jakepaul86

Dell's is LCD and this is LED? Does that not factor in?

cartervt2k

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cartervt2k
casey00001 wrote:How much will it cost you to ship it back if its DOA and you want to return it for a refund?

"...you are responsible for shipping the product to Woot at your expense"

As a practical matter, I always go refurb over new. The appreciable difference in savings (10-20% & up) far exceeds the refurb failure rate that I've experienced over my lifetime (about 0% - cannot remember any offhand). That money really adds up over one's lifetime.

If I have to pay to return it within the 90-day warranty, unless it costs me over ~$165 to ship it, it'll still cost me less than what I were to pay for it new. If it dies on me thereafter, I'll just buy a replacement and begin to make up the difference with my next next refurb purchase.

You can spend your life trying to mitigate any/all risks. Or, you can live with them and pocket the savings.

polskachick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages polskachick

We just purchased the big brother to this set, the 70 inch model ( to us gals, size matters!). Got it at Walmart as a "rollback" deal for $1600.00, when everyone else wanted between $2,000-$2400.00.

The picture is great, the sound is awful. Nice slim profile. For under $900, this is a good deal, but don't write off the larger Vizios. They're gaining credibility.

osubrndn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages osubrndn

Bought 70" of this new 2 moths ago, very satisfied. I'd buy this for my bedroom right now if I hadn't bought a 47" a month ago :-/

casey00001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001
cartervt2k wrote:As a practical matter, I always go refurb over new. The appreciable difference in savings (10-20% & up) far exceeds the refurb failure rate that I've experienced over my lifetime (about 0% - cannot remember any offhand). That money really adds up over one's lifetime.

If I have to pay to return it within the 90-day warranty, unless it costs me over ~$165 to ship it, it'll still cost me less than what I were to pay for it new. If it dies on me thereafter, I'll just buy a replacement and begin to make up the difference with my next next refurb purchase.

You can spend your life trying to mitigate any/all risks. Or, you can live with them and pocket the savings.

I agree and have bought many refurb'd items especially on Woot. However I would never buy a refurb item that is priced the same as a new item.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
Batman4oz wrote:I am hopeful that I will find what I 'want' here one day...since I have had a 70" Sony for about 6 years, I 'need' something at least that size, newer, LED, 3D, with unlimited internet access.
LG is almost there, but not quite...and too expensive.
Still....I dream.
^^X^^

Plug a cheap laptop into the Sony HDMI and make it smart.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
replica42 wrote:[quote postid="5388137" user="billpanop"]!!! BAD DEAL !!!
Dell has a NEW Sharp 60" for $698 shipped.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A6418304&dgc=BA&cid=258913&lid=4634065&acd=12309172623398126

That one is LCD, not LED....and this would consume less power than LCD one.

They are BOTH LCD.LED refers to the BACKLIGHT."LED"TVs use you guessed it-LEDs behind the screen for illumination.Other non-plasma TVs use florescent lighting as flat panel monitors and TVs have used for years."LED" TVs can use either rows of LEDs around the perimeter-"edge lit",or a full panel of white LEDs behind the screen,which is more expensive.The advantage of full panel LEDs is you can increase the contrast by dimming only the LEDs in dark areas of the screen"local dimming",which helps with the biggest LCD shortcoming,lower contrast ratio.Some reviews have found uneven illumination on edge lit TVs,but I'd probably never notice it in the real world.

There are also OLED TVs but they are still hugely expensive.Right now for normal people it's LCD or plasma.

RichardCarver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RichardCarver
Batman4oz wrote:Actually, compared to what you would have paid a few years ago, today's prices are Bargains, and the technology is So Much Better!
I paid over $4000 for my 70", but at the time it was going for $7000 to $10,000!!! So, I got a 'deal!'
Now, I wouldn't be able get even Half what I paid...IF someone wanted to buy it, which I doubt!
When this ones dies, I won't feel much pain spending $2000 to get one that is bigger and better...but will Hate disposing of This monster!
^^X^^

Trade it for something while it's still working. I just bought a 70 Vizio and had to get rid of a 65 Olevia I bought here on Woot in '08. The thing weighs 240 pounds! I traded it to my carpenter for future work and he and a large friend came and lugged it out of my house, he's happy, I'm happy.

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors
mike999990 wrote:Use your MasterCard on any NEW item and your manufacturer warranty doubles, no extra money spent and if it fails at that point your money spent on the warranty will prob pay a size able portion of a tv with similar features that is now x number of years old... Just a friendly reminder from your neighborhood MasterCard rep...
***please note as this is a refurb MasterCard's extended warranty would not be applicable, but next time they sell a new one here, fair game!***

Isn't that Mastercard (and Visa BTW) extention LIMITED to ONE year??

Or does it depend on your bank/acct. type (preferred etc.)?

So, a manuf. 2yr. becomes 4yr. or 3yr. via purchase w/Mastercard?

bluemaple

quality posts: 73 Private Messages bluemaple
dave17 wrote:They are BOTH LCD.LED refers to the BACKLIGHT."LED"TVs use you guessed it-LEDs behind the screen for illumination.Other non-plasma TVs use florescent lighting as flat panel monitors and TVs have used for years."LED" TVs can use either rows of LEDs around the perimeter-"edge lit",or a full panel of white LEDs behind the screen,which is more expensive.The advantage of full panel LEDs is you can increase the contrast by dimming only the LEDs in dark areas of the screen"local dimming",which helps with the biggest LCD shortcoming,lower contrast ratio.Some reviews have found uneven illumination on edge lit TVs,but I'd probably never notice it in the real world.

There are also OLED TVs but they are still hugely expensive.Right now for normal people it's LCD or plasma.

@dave17, you beat me to It - well said and pretty darn accurate.

Frustrating that TV sellers don't get their acts together by calling it "LED Backlighting" or "Flourescent Backlighting" depending on what you're getting. Lots of consumers are clueless on this.

Thankfully Flourescent backlighting is disappering from the market...

bluemaple

casey00001 wrote:I agree and have bought many refurb'd items especially on Woot. However I would never buy a refurb item that is priced the same as a new item.

I'll second just about everything @casey00001 said... until the refurb love - I'm not with him/her on that.

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors
bluemaple wrote:@dave17, you beat me to It - well said and pretty darn accurate.

Frustrating that TV sellers don't get their acts together by calling it "LED Backlighting" or "Flourescent Backlighting" depending on what you're getting. Lots of consumers are clueless on this.

CCFL is not disappearing from the market. It is for good reason. CCFL produces a "nicer" or "better" (subjective) picture than all but the more expensive and well done full array LED backlit sets. A cheap CCFL panel looks way better to my eyes than a cheap edge lit LED panel.

bluemaple

mike999990 wrote:Use your MasterCard on any NEW item and your manufacturer warranty doubles, no extra money spent and if it fails at that point your money spent on the warranty will prob pay a size able portion of a tv with similar features that is now x number of years old... Just a friendly reminder from your neighborhood MasterCard rep...
***please note as this is a refurb MasterCard's extended warranty would not be applicable, but next time they sell a new one here, fair game!***

@Mike9...90, Careful there - that's a pretty big generalization about *all* MasterCard's. Dangerous to assume all affinity MasterCard's do the doubling. And several other cards sometimes double - like the Costco Amex (might be an Amex Costco Executive feature tho)

Easy to call the card toll free number to verify before relying in that advice.

bluemaple

redrotors wrote:CCFL is not disappearing from the market. It is for good reason. CCFL produces a "nicer" or "better" (subjective) picture than all but the more expensive and well done LED backlit sets. A cheap CCFL panel looks way better to my eyes than a cheap edge lit LED panel.

Agreed there are a lot of crappy LED edge and back lit panels but the tech is still fairly new and getting sorted out - especially on the low end.

Better buy soon if you like Flourescent-lit - 'getting more and more difficult to find a non-cheapo/rebranded panel with it.

(Still love my Plasma - much better blacks and motion capability than any less than $3,500 LCD panel, whatever its backlighting.)

ripcrd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ripcrd

Looks like the TV I have. If specs are same then this is an awesome TV. Brilliant picture and plenty of hookups. Definitely read manual as we found out cool stuff it could do months after getting it. This is a great price too. I think we paid 1200 or more for it.

Ask me why my pants fit better. :D

Ringo4422

bluemaple wrote:@dave17, you beat me to It - well said and pretty darn accurate.

Yup. You talk to anybody and the all refer to LED TV vs. LCD. The marketers have brainwashed the public into thinking the TVs are actually LED when they are not.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Ringo4422

bluemaple wrote:Agreed there are a lot of crappy LED edge and back lit panels but the tech is still fairly new and getting sorted out - especially on the low end.

Better buy soon if you like Flourescent-lit - 'getting more and more difficult to find a non-cheapo/rebranded panel with it.

(Still love my Plasma - much better blacks and motion capability than any less than $3,500 LCD panel, whatever its backlighting.)

I'm looking to replace my old and beautiful 1st gen. 55" 720p 3- 8" CRT RGB Mitsubishi Projection HDTV with a 60" Plasma. I will miss the dual tuners and built in Firewire DVR capabilities (yes, it records ANYTHING in 720p HD - no subscriptions). The wife is making me part with it to re-model the family room, so it goes. I can't take motion blurr, and the old analogs and all plasmas don't have those artifacts.
Oh, and yes, I also prefer the more natural whites from a CFL back lit LCD to a blueish white most LED backlit sets have.

erorc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erorc

Had the big brother to this (70" 800 series), supposedly a couple of notches up the quality/feature scale. Had TWO actually. The Panels both had horrible clouding (light areas), and Sharp uses a, what I'll call ABnormal mask for their pixels, which is more akin to old tube tvs than modern LCDs. Their color subpixels are arranged in a triangular pattern, whereas most other manufacturers (all?) use a square pattern. Upshot is that this causes edges to look fuzzy, even if they are perfectly vertical or horizontal, and the sharpness suffers. I took two back and went back to my Samsung.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

casey00001 wrote:This is not a great deal for this TV.
You can get it new for $999.00 with a two year warranty included at Costco. Wonderful return policy. Concierge service if you have a problem.

http://www.costco.com/Sharp-AQUOS-60%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-Edge-Lit-LED-LC60LE600U-.product.100028132.html

By the time you add in two years of Square trade warranty for the refurb its not worth it. $885.00 + $115. + $115.00 = $1,115.00

Add Tax on the $999.00 and you have the same thing. Woot sharpen your pencil.

You've linked to a different model. The Costco one is not a Smart TV; ours is.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bluemaple

ThunderThighs wrote:You've linked to a different model. The Costco one is not a Smart TV; ours is.

I would not lose any sleep over Smart TV features being included or not.

You can easily add the latest generation of smart features (and replace them separately from your monitor - that's what these flat panels are for most people today - inexpensively in the future) via either a less than $100 bluray DVD player or third party box.

BTW, @TT, is it just me or is that animated *thingy* at the *bottom* of your post just a bit obscene?

cainste

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cainste
billpanop wrote:!!! BAD DEAL !!!

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A6418304&dgc=BA&cid=258913&lid=4634065&acd=12309172623398126

[MOD: !!! Different model !!!]

You are comparing and LED Smart TV with a Dell LCD non-Smart TV? *sigh* I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

jsouthard007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jsouthard007

Every credit card I've ever seen (and owned) will double the manufacturers warranty only up to one year additional coverage, and it excludes refurbs. Note that it's the manufacturer's warranty, not the seller's warranty, that they will extend so I'd be willing to bet that they will not extend Costco's warranty beyond the two years they give you.

evilmonkeyx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evilmonkeyx

I've had this TV for over a year and a half. I bought it at Costco for $1100 new. Anyway, it's been a great TV. I have zero complaints except for two things:
1. Pretty apparent motion blur on sports (haven't noticed it anywhere else.)
2. When compared side-by-side with other TVs, the blacks are not the blackest.

Other than, no complaint. Easy to use. Easy to adjust. Great picture. Low energy consumption. Plenty of inputs.

Brigham Young University

mambo143

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mambo143

Cultural experience aside, I am glad I stood in line on Black Friday and picked up a Vizio 60 inch LED new for $630. That being said, a 60 inch screen is mighty sweet!

hughn

quality posts: 7 Private Messages hughn
casey00001 wrote:So Mike if I buy a five year warranty from Costco with my Mastercard, you will automatically give me a ten year warranty?

I'm not Mike. Costco will not accept Mastercard. If you are a member, best deal is their Amex card. You get $$$ back at the end of year, instead of "points".

ophmarketing

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ophmarketing
nebelhund wrote:We have one of these in our bonus room.

Am the only one wondering what the hell a "bonus room" is? Is that the room you get after you make it past the lighting round room?

nelicorbett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nelicorbett

Does this tv have 1year manifacturers warranty?

Thel58Edman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thel58Edman
cartervt2k wrote:Looks like the model is slightly different. Dell's is a LC-60E69U, while this is a LC-60LE640U. I was just about to pull the trigger, but I want to figure out the differences are. Seems like the reviews for the one sold by Dell are kind of lousy.

Not a 'Bad Deal' at all. Power consumption is the main difference I see. The one at Dell is an LCD which uses a fluorescent back light and draws more than twice as much power(400 watts)as today's Woot! model which has an LED back lighting system and uses 188 watts. You'll easily burn up that $200 difference long before you wear out the tv buying that model from Dell.

MaxPayne3476

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MaxPayne3476
Tralornik wrote:Could you elaborate as to which is better and why? TIA.

I can comment as I have the same TV and use the apps on a regular basis.

The included apps are fine to use, but between load times and responsiveness, the overall system is very sluggish. It takes a while for the application to actually load and then there is a considerable lag between remote presses and the response. It works, it's just slower and cumbersome.

The web browser is unusable. Vudu is a nice package, but I've only really found use out of Pandora. Netflix works as it should, just slowly. I still haven't gotten DLNA to work, it sees my phone and computer but it never connects.

Overall, excellent TV - but if you're buying for the SMART feature, you're really better off buying a dedicated box like Roku or Apple TV.

MaxPayne3476

ophmarketing wrote:Am the only one wondering what the hell a "bonus room" is? Is that the room you get after you make it past the lighting round room?

A bonus room is one where the architect finished his plans, looked and realized there was some blank space. No closet? Odd location? BONUS!!!

MaxPayne3476

bluemaple wrote:I would not lose any sleep over Smart TV features being included or not.

You can easily add the latest generation of smart features (and replace them separately from your monitor - that's what these flat panels are for most people today - inexpensively in the future) via either a less than $100 bluray DVD player or third party box.

BTW, @TT, is it just me or is that animated *thingy* at the *bottom* of your post just a bit obscene?

I have a SMART TV and I'm inclined to agree.

sdosborne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdosborne

Suddenly my household feels inadequate. The common household items used to show the scale of this tv - President Taft, H.M.S. Titanic, and the Astro-Hungarian Empire. I have none of those items in my house, nor have I ever. I wonder how much an European empire would go for on Woot! ? Maybe I should look into getting one or two of them.

minus200

quality posts: 0 Private Messages minus200

I purchased this new last year for $720 and I think Dell had a new one on sale in the last week or 2 under $700

Good picture that sometimes gets too bright from one channel to another

musab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages musab

this is not led.....

billpanop wrote:!!! BAD DEAL !!!

[MOD: !!! Different model !!!]

alpha232

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alpha232

I'm right on the edge of taking the plunge for this TV, the features are great, but the best features is that this is perfect for a HTPC setup. It supports control via Serial and also TCP/IP... It's so tempting, rarely seeing such a capable TV.

bluemaple

cainste wrote:You are comparing and LED Smart TV with a Dell LCD non-Smart TV? *sigh* I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

No one's forcing you to stay.

I compare monitors based upon picture quality, durability, and price. I could care less about whether it has internal "Smart" TV functionality or which back lighting it has (as long as it works right).

Many folks watch "TV" through cable boxes and or DVR's so they leave their "TV" on the external inputs, rarely if ever using the internal TV turner or Smart finctions.

bluemaple

ophmarketing wrote:
Am the only one wondering what the hell a "bonus room" is? Is that the room you get after you make it past the lighting round room?

MaxPayne3476 wrote:A bonus room is one where the architect finished his plans, looked and realized there was some blank space. No closet? Odd location? BONUS!!!

I've also heard the 'Bonus room' is a way to save on property taxes by initially spec'ing the house out with fewer bedrooms... allowing you to use it as one later. (Bedroom count is often a trigger.)

That and the flexibility of the builder/realtor being able to sell the house to big families or those who want to work at home or have a children's playroom.

cartervt2k

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cartervt2k

Does anyone have a mount they can recommend for this bad boy? I assume the one holding up my 42", 80 lb plasma will work so long as the bolt patterns are the same.

Also, what hardware do people recommend for anchoring a mount into brick sunk, I'm estimating, about 6-12" back from the wall? By the grace of God and about 20 wall anchors, my plasma has held up for the past 4 years. This TV is considerably lighter, but if I have to relocate the mount, I'm worried if the sheet rock might be weakened.