polidiotic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages polidiotic
replica42 wrote:That one is LCD, not LED....and this would consume less power than LCD one.

This one is LCD, as well. You wouldn't see an LED TV on here for $800-900.

The LED in the name refers to the edge lighting.

Edit: Just noticed that others beat me to this. That being said, they're wrong about it being LED back-lit. It's edge-lit.

Slight difference which could lead to deeper and more consistent black levels (back-lit, that is).

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
polidiotic wrote:This one is LCD, as well. You wouldn't see an LED TV on here for $800-900.

The LED in the name refers to the edge lighting.

Edit: Just noticed that others beat me to this. That being said, they're wrong about it being LED back-lit. It's edge-lit.

Slight difference which could lead to deeper and more consistent black levels (back-lit, that is).

I think the point folks were making was LED vs Flourescent 'back lighting' in a generic light source sense, not whether it was edge vs back lit.

*All* LCD panels require the light source to be in 'back' of the LCD panel.

'Edge' puts the light source behind the panel along the edge(s) while 'backlit' puts the light source in mulitple places across the back surface of the panel. Making a really thin panel with truly even lighting at a low price point is a challenge.

JonPowell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages JonPowell

Bought an LED VIZIO TV around black Friday of last year for the bedroom and just now noticed the thing won't turn on.

May have to get this deal soon.

harddavid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harddavid
replica42 wrote:That one is LCD, not LED....and this would consume less power than LCD one.

Correct - the Dell (cheaper) one is fluorescent backlit, the Woot one is LED backlit. The EnergyGuide price for the Dell one is $79/yr, while the EnergyGuide price for the Woot one is $18/yr. That's a BIG difference, and LED is better, IMHO. I'm tempted to go for the Woot one...

UPDATE: OK, I used the term "backlit" incorrectly, but the price differential is the point I was making - a $50/yr difference is significant!!!

harddavid

cartervt2k wrote:As a practical matter, I always go refurb over new. The appreciable difference in savings (10-20% & up) far exceeds the refurb failure rate that I've experienced over my lifetime (about 0% - cannot remember any offhand). That money really adds up over one's lifetime.

If I have to pay to return it within the 90-day warranty, unless it costs me over ~$165 to ship it, it'll still cost me less than what I were to pay for it new. If it dies on me thereafter, I'll just buy a replacement and begin to make up the difference with my next next refurb purchase.

You can spend your life trying to mitigate any/all risks. Or, you can live with them and pocket the savings.

In addition, refurbs have had a second going-over at the factory, which means that they are getting a more thorough QA process. Refurbs rule!

harddavid

osubrndn wrote:Bought 70" of this new 2 moths ago, very satisfied. I'd buy this for my bedroom right now if I hadn't bought a 47" a month ago :-/

Two MOTHS ago? How many moths in an ear? ;-)

harddavid

tgrbaseball13 wrote:what was Refurbished on the tv?

As a general rule, refurbs usually means that the item is new but was returned by the customer. They are thoroughly tested - all parts - and repackaged appropriately. Apple and TiVo are the best at this - it's almost impossible to discern new from refurb. My rule of thumb is that if an item has moving (i.e. mechanical) parts, then I'm wary, but if it's solid-state (like TVs), then I always go for refurbs. Electronic items, if they're gonna go bad, typically do so early on in their life; after three months, you should be OK.

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

Quattron?

If not then this really isn't that nice of a picture. I had a 60" Sharp for a year and a half and loved it, but the Quattron is a must.

This may have it, but I didn't see that anywhere in the description.

Believe me, it makes a world of difference.

EDIT: The 120 Hz refresh rate will still ghost for high speed sport events. An example being football kickoffs. Honestly it wasn't a big deal for me, but noticeable.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

JonPowell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages JonPowell

I might as well get two, the Samsung 60" DLP is about to go out now. Grrr.

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
harddavid wrote:As a general rule, refurbs usually means that the item is new but was returned by the customer. They are thoroughly tested - all parts - and repackaged appropriately. Apple and TiVo are the best at this - it's almost impossible to discern new from refurb. My rule of thumb is that if an item has moving (i.e. mechanical) parts, then I'm wary, but if it's solid-state (like TVs), then I always go for refurbs. Electronic items, if they're gonna go bad, typically do so early on in their life; after three months, you should be OK.

@harddavid, I've never been a fan of refurbs (just picky that way I guess). I didn't want the chance that it had been in a smoker's house, etc...

*However*, you make excellent arguments for the potential advantages of refurbs - nicely done! 'Will need to consider them more seriously in the future.

Apple's refurbs (if done by them) are excellent choices when the price discount is enough.

drumrgrrrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drumrgrrrl

I actually have this tv. I bought it new and LOVE it! 60" is effing large! I did buy a 47" refurbished LED tv from Woot and it had a line in the screen. I had to return it, but had already cut up the box. I ended up paying FedEx $60 to package it so I could return it. I'll never make that mistake again.

jdmekcivic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdmekcivic

Just got my TV yesterday. Tried to set it up and half the picture is bright lines (directly down the center of the screen to one side). The other side is fine. It is like half the TV is broken. I hope I get this resolved....

curlw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curlw

Just got my TV today. Was really excited until I connected it up and saw there is a fingernail size pixel dead spot in the left third of the screen. I've seen random dead pixels in displays before but never anything like a large group together. So big and so obvious, no way to ignore it and obviously no one looked at the TV before declaring it "refurbished". This was my first big purchase from Woot (and first of anything refurbished). I immediately contacted Woot via email and got a quick reply. They offered a full refund and actually provided me a FedEx shipping label for return of the TV so I'm happy with their resolution. If they had another TV to ship me instead they said they would have and I would have taken it as I was very impressed with this Sharp TV other than the black blob of dead pixels in this particular display.

hdohnert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hdohnert

I am not sure how to get in contact with customer service. I have placed a service ticket with Woot to have this item serviced / return. I opened the ticket last Friday and have not received any response. The strange thing is that I have received a call from someone to come pick up the TV and they have told me that the return was initiated by Woot, but no one was from Woot has contact me to tell me anything. So, I don't know if this is a return and I will be refunded, or a repair or an exchange. Can someone PLEASE get back to me.