WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Today we're selling out. That's right, it's all about the commercials today. Scott's chased down five songs that are forever entwined with the products for which they were shilling. Hey, if it pays the bills, who are we to judge? As long as they keep it entertaining, everybody's happy. And this first video's a perfect example...

Shaggy - Boombastic

How do you turn a song into a masterpiece? Claymation! This Levi's ad told a whole action movie worth of story in roughly a minute, all while selling jeans AND reminding people to go buy Shaggy's record. Talk about running the table.

Four more and the usual fun after the jump!

Each week, our Spotify playlist featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. The theme of the mix this time is The Impending Equinox and it'll put a Spring in your step for sure. But before you fall back, check out our current Music Monday!

Robert Palmer - Simply Irresistible

There's something so '80s in using a song that contains the words "Don't compromise my principles" in a Pepsi ad, isn't it? Even still, we're not blaming Robert Palmer for taking the cash, because this song wasn't exactly Bach or Beethoven in the first place. So good on you, Riptide. Hope this bought you a heated pool. We would have done the same.

Psychic TV- Roman P

The history of Psychic TV is as bizarre as the band's music, so their fans were likely shocked to hear this song playing over a Volkswagen commercial. In fact, so was the band, because Volkswagen forgot to ask permission! And maybe if they had, the band would have informed them how this song is actually about Roman Polanski. Needless to say, the commercial was not considered a success, but the band probably got an awful lot of money out of the settlement.

The Velvet Underground - Venus In Furs

Be honest, if someone described this commercial to you and asked to use your song in it, you'd say yes. The Velvets were long broken up when this Dunlop Tires ad appeared, but you can't say the director didn't understand what they were going for. This isn't just a commercial. This is high freakin' art.

Michael Jackson - Bille Jean

Why is this noteworthy? Well, for starters, that's Carlton from the Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air and this was his big break into global fame. Secondly, Michael Jackson was about to have the biggest album the world had ever seen, and he was still happy to re-record his lyrics to be about Pepsi. They were horrible, of course, but he did it. The story of advertising, right?

Now we're gonna shill for our Turntable.fm room, where you can come and enjoy the regular Music Monday fun. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia pages and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

I can't think of any songs that were re-written, just some songs that were used as backgrounds in commercials. Here are some instances in which I had to burn every record the band had ever made because they sold out and my secret band wasn't exclusive to me anymore now that the public had laid ears on it.

Man Man - Mister Jung Stuffed (Tony Hawk Commercial)
Passion Pit - Sleepy Head (Palm Pixie commercial)
Modest Mouse - Gravity Rides Everything (Nissan Commercial) Float On (American Idol Ford commercial) (Float On - On Star Commercial)
Wilco - Always in love (ATT/Samsung/some cell phone commercial)

Lest we forget a short list of jingles written by barry manilow

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Also Also, Who else wants to see that Dunlop commercial re-mastered and released on bluray? It would look brilliant!

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Aw, I read the title and ran to go get this:
The Oldsmobile theme that started off the cassette in my grandma's Cutlass Cierra

Then I read the article. Hm. OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g4zZ2IoEd8]Levis Crazy Legs/Flyweight Jeans commerical is the non-jingle-y jingle of my pick. But I don't know the artist or full song.

OH!
Mercedes Benz Feat Daley, Estelle, David Banner Probably a re-arrangement from an earlier jingle.
(DALEY: HE COULD SING THE PHONE BOOK AND MAKE IT EPIC/BEAUTIFUL/CLIMACTIC.)

Okay, that'll start off the newer generation.

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

I liked the Western Union commercials of the 90's when I was growing up. A slightly modified version of Dean Martin's "Everybody Loves Somebody."

mossygreen

quality posts: 69 Private Messages mossygreen

This is an oddly tough one. The only thing that came to mind immediately is this Dubuque Ham commercial because, quite frankly, I only know the lyrics regarding ham. Certainly The Chords or The Crew Cuts never reached the heights of popularity gained by, say, Psychic TV, but maybe it counts?

Wait a sec, do you mean like how this M&M's commercial reminded me that The The exists and this song is good, although oddly sad for a candy commercial? Because then I have a real one.

mossygreen

Moueska wrote:Aw, I read the title and ran to go get this:
The Oldsmobile theme that started off the cassette in my grandma's Cutlass Cierra

Wait, the Cutlass Cierra came with a cassette?

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

I got two popular songs used in background, not necessarily original for the ad
Red Alert by Basement Jaxx, which was in a coke commercial in the summer of 2000

also, how about the Crystal Pepsi launch using Van Halen's Right Now in Superbowl XXVII (1993)

Finally, an obscure one. Lotto 6/49 in Canada used Swing Baby Swing by The DNC as part of their "Happy Dance" promotion

Moueska

mossygreen wrote:Wait, the Cutlass Cierra came with a cassette?

YES! The jingle was track one on side 1.

Well, apparently. It might've been a bonus that came with her GM credit card.

kchoschton

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kchoschton

I'm showing my age here, but just this weekend we were listening to the Beach Boys and I told my BF I will forever think of "Good Vibrations" as being about Sunkist and imagining a bunch of young kids getting out of a Jeep at the beach to go hang out and surf. Also, I always heard the Elvis song "Love me Tender" to the cat food version that ends with "feed me tender chunks". I think that's it, but it was so long ago I can't remember the brand of cat food. At the time I didn't know either was a song, just a commercial jingle.

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

How about a commercial jingle that was rewritten to become a hit song? That is the case with "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing".

First, the commercial called "Hilltop" from 1971.

Followed by the single released by The New Seekers (which, BTW, I have a copy of).

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

I thought of a better one... McDonald's version of Bobby Darin's "Mack the Knife"

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Royal Caribbean - Lust For Life - Leave Me - YouTube

There was a Toyota commercial with The Buzzcocks What Do I Get? as the jingle that I cannot find.

klynb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages klynb
CatCK wrote:How about a commercial jingle that was rewritten to become a hit song? That is the case with "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing".

First, the commercial called "Hilltop" from 1971.

Followed by the single released by The New Seekers (which, BTW, I have a copy of).

Another case of the commercial preceding the single:

That's Paul Williams on vocals, btw.

Moueska

mossygreen wrote:Wait, the Cutlass Cierra came with a cassette?

HAH! Knew I wasn't hallucinating!

I'm looking for the playlist now.

Or later. Whatev's.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Cowboydann brought me here.
And I am shocked....shocked that this hasn't been included yet.

edit: or maybe I'm not getting the theme...is it Songs modified for ads or songs that you can't easily mentally separate from the ads they were used in?

eta2: Here's a list of a few The one that jumps out for me is this one:

move along

mossygreen

Moueska wrote:HAH! Knew I wasn't hallucinating!

I'm looking for the playlist now.

Or later. Whatev's.

Amazing! When I am in thrift shops and see store- or business-themed holiday music cds I always think it's a newer thing, but Oldsmobile was soundtracking lives to 8-tracks.

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

Seems to be two scenarios working here. If your first time hearing the tune was in the commercial, then the song has a greater chance of forever being linked to the ad. If you were familiar with the tune before its use in an ad, was the commercial effective enough to be the first thing you think of upon hearing the song?

Here's some for thought:

Player - Baby Come Back

Rolling Stones cover - Let's Spend The Night Together
http://adland.tv/commercials/sheraton-lets-spend-night-together-2003-030-usa

King Harvest - Dancing In The Moonlight

Tommy Tutone - 867-5309 (Jenny) (We finally get to meet Jenny! ;)

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?