WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Totally Bamboo

Having bamboo in your house is exciting. Heck, we're jumping for joy just because we've got bamboo in our warehouses, so we can imagine how exhilarating it'll feel when you open a box of bamboo products and can call them your very own. What'll you do? What'll you chop? Who'll you brag to first about your new bamboo?
Totally Bamboo official site

rdermyer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rdermyer

So there's a Missouri, but no Kansas... Oh well, I guess I could buy a normal rectangle one and lop off the corner.

woodister

quality posts: 2 Private Messages woodister

The Michigan cutting board is missing its hat aka Da UP.

toomuchcaffeine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages toomuchcaffeine

I can't believe there's no Colorado or Wyoming cutting board.

bevdaddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bevdaddy

A friend of mine has the Rhode Island cutting board. It's literally 3" x 2".

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

I bought a couple of these items the last time Woot had them.

The Large Salt Box is very handy. It's sturdy and solidly built. The lid swings easily and is held closed by a magnet. The magnet isn't terribly strong, so it's very easy to open the lid, even if it's bumped accidentally. The interior compartment is about 3.5" diameter X 3" deep, so it holds a decent amount of salt. Makes it very easy to use with measuring spoon or your fingers if you like to grab a healthy pinch of kosher salt Alton Brown-style.

The Polyboo cutting board is a decent sized board, fine for medium side veggies and cuts of meat. You wouldn't want to use it for anything much larger than your prototypical 20-oz Porterhouse steak. It feels very sturdy for a portable cutting board.

It's very handy having the two different surfaces to work with. The whole thing is about 1/2" (13mm) thick, so each surface is probably 1/4" (6.35mm) thick on it's own. I would assume they're bonded with some type of adhesive, but there's actually a black poly trim around the periphery of the board and the handle cutout. The trim also serves to hold the two pieces together, so I don't see that possible separation of the layers would ever be a problem even if it did happen. I haven't had any problems with food bits getting up under the plastic trim, yet, although I suspect it could happen.

Both were good purchases. I haven't had any problems yet with splitting or delamination like we've heard about with the Core Bamboo brand products that show up on Woot periodically. The Totally Bamboo stuff (I also got the in-drawer knife block that Wot sold last time) feels very sturdy and very well built.

If you think would find any of these products useful, don't hesitate to buy. I think you'll be get a very quality product that you'll be happy with for years to come - just remember to oil the bamboo regularly with food grade mineral oil (can be found in your local drug store in the laxative section), or with more expensive Butcher Block Oil (which is basically the same thing). You might also find cutting board oil at your local supermarket if they sell bamboo cutting boards in their kitchen gadget aisle. (Publix used to, I haven't looked lately.)

sdownin

Also, yes, these are made in China.

But really, if there's any country on Earth that would know how to make a quality product out of Bamboo, it would be China.

babystewie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages babystewie

How about a state that would actually make good cutting boards like the Dakotas or Colorado. ;-)

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

They used to sell a California cutting board but it kept cracking.

Pallazzo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Pallazzo

I saw a few of these items at the local discount store (Ross) for the same price, no shipping cost. If you have one nearby, go check the kitchen section before you click buy on this.

cactusjomak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cactusjomak

The Michigan board in not Michigan. That is the Lower Part only! I find it highly offensive and borderline discrimination! Where is the U.P. Woot? I want to file a formal complaint! As a Yooper!

oddsbeater1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages oddsbeater1

That dish-rack looks like a deck chair for midgets.

I think, therefore.."I-M".

ilovebamboo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilovebamboo

I hear all 50 states plus Mexico, Canada, Puerto Rico and more will be out this summer! And being from Rhode Island, i am very happy to hear that all states will be treated equally in the size department.

ilovebamboo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilovebamboo
narquespamley wrote:They used to sell a California cutting board but it kept cracking.

This wasn't a Totally Bamboo board. I have tried them all... TB is the best. They say they'll have a Cali board this summer though.

criticalmaas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages criticalmaas
ilovebamboo wrote:This wasn't a Totally Bamboo board. I have tried them all... TB is the best. They say they'll have a Cali board this summer though.

I read that as a joke about fault lines!

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
criticalmaas wrote:I read that as a joke about fault lines!

I read that as a joke about drugs.

cathybenson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cathybenson

Totally Bamboo is the ONLY bamboo product I buy/use. I've been using them for years and have just replaced some boards with the newer 20" kind, that I LOVE! I oil them occasionally and they've held up nicely. When I place my order, they are always shipped promptly, a plus! I have the Texas board and use it for entertaining. Totally Bamboo has a loyal customer in me!

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley
StanleyS wrote:I read that as a joke about drugs.

Incorrect.

This is a geography joke thread, thus it was a joke about geography, i.e. to criticalmaas's point.

thespillmonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thespillmonkey

At first i was like... Apple.. Carrot.. Cheese... DB9 Connection Port???

lurp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lurp

I wouldn't mind an Alaska shaped cutting board. Then it would be over twice the size of the Texas one.

Shipsmate

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Shipsmate
sdownin wrote:I bought a couple of these items the last time Woot had them.

The Large Salt Box is very handy. It's sturdy and solidly built. The lid swings easily and is held closed by a magnet. The magnet isn't terribly strong, so it's very easy to open the lid, even if it's bumped accidentally. The interior compartment is about 3.5" diameter X 3" deep, so it holds a decent amount of salt. Makes it very easy to use with measuring spoon or your fingers if you like to grab a healthy pinch of kosher salt Alton Brown-style.

The Polyboo cutting board is a decent sized board, fine for medium side veggies and cuts of meat. You wouldn't want to use it for anything much larger than your prototypical 20-oz Porterhouse steak. It feels very sturdy for a portable cutting board.

It's very handy having the two different surfaces to work with. The whole thing is about 1/2" (13mm) thick, so each surface is probably 1/4" (6.35mm) thick on it's own. I would assume they're bonded with some type of adhesive, but there's actually a black poly trim around the periphery of the board and the handle cutout. The trim also serves to hold the two pieces together, so I don't see that possible separation of the layers would ever be a problem even if it did happen. I haven't had any problems with food bits getting up under the plastic trim, yet, although I suspect it could happen.

Both were good purchases. I haven't had any problems yet with splitting or delamination like we've heard about with the Core Bamboo brand products that show up on Woot periodically. The True Bamboo stuff (I also got the in-drawer knife block that Wot sold last time) feels very sturdy and very well built.

If you think would find any of these products useful, don't hesitate to buy. I think you'll be get a very quality product that you'll be happy with for years to come - just remember to oil the bamboo regularly with food grade mineral oil (can be found in your local drug store in the laxative section), or with more expensive Butcher Block Oil (which is basically the same thing). You might also find cutting board oil at your local supermarket if they sell bamboo cutting boards in their kitchen gadget aisle. (Publix used to, I haven't looked lately.)

I truly appreciate the information, VERY helpful!!!

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt
sdownin wrote:

My biggest problem with this one is that it doesn't sound like the poly side is replaceable at all. I like using poly boards for cutting meat and such on, but replace them fairly often when there are too many knife cuts in the board thus making keeping them thouroughly clean questionable. If the poly side isn't replaceable it will be useless to me in a few months of use and I'll just have a bamboo board to work with.

haveabigjohnson

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haveabigjohnson
cactusjomak wrote:The Michigan board in not Michigan. That is the Lower Part only! I find it highly offensive and borderline discrimination! Where is the U.P. Woot? I want to file a formal complaint! As a Yooper!

All da trolls bought dem out.

sdownin

elangomatt wrote:My biggest problem with this one is that it doesn't sound like the poly side is replaceable at all. I like using poly boards for cutting meat and such on, but replace them fairly often when there are too many knife cuts in the board thus making keeping them thouroughly clean questionable. If the poly side isn't replaceable it will be useless to me in a few months of use and I'll just have a bamboo board to work with.

You could always spray the poly side with a bleach mixure to disinfect it if you're worried about stray bacteria in the knife furrows. I think the mixture is 1 tsp unscented bleach per quart of water. Just spray the poly side with the bleach mixture and it should naturally seep into the cuts. Let the bleach solution just sit there and slowly evaporate on its own, and you should be left with a sanitized cutting surface by the time it's dry.

Of course, if there's actual food matter getting stuck in the furrows, the bleach doesn't dislodge those.

sdownin

As another potentially helpful hint, for the plain cutting boards without the grippy bits (boards like the Martinique and the Congo, here), a piece of non-slip shelf liner between the cutting board and the counter can keep the cutting board nice and stable and keep it from accidentally sliding around on you while you're working.

The shelf liner is dirt cheap, too. Target has some for $2 a roll.

http://www.target.com/p/basic-grip-shelf-liner-taupe-12x5/-/A-11172311#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

Xiola

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xiola

There is no reason to use the plastic side to cut meat.

http://lifehacker.com/5847591/10-stubborn-food-myths-that-just-wont-die

Please see #1.

People used wooden cutting boards for hundreds of years before plastic was even invented and did not drop dead in droves.

~X

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown
Shipsmate wrote:I truly appreciate the information, VERY helpful!!!

ditto what they said

countdown

What is the lid style on the Newboo salt box? Does it pivot around like the other salt box being offered, or rest on top like a typical lid. Picture is not very informative. Can't find the info on any other sites.

EDIT: Found it on their site. It pivots.

Blakestr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blakestr

Chefs with consciences agree: One should not cut or slice panda meat on this. That's just wrong.

countdown

Can someone clarify the whole Core Bamboo vs Totally Bamboo?

I was just browsing here: http://fab.com/sale/19308/

And I noticed they have the exact same over the sink cutting boards, but they are listed as "Core Bamboo". (http://fab.com/sale/19308/product/164816/)

What is going on here? Whatever it is, it seems deceitful. I feel like a company that starts up, should be forced to stick with their name regardless of reputation for a certain number of years.

If they are different companies, I feel like one must be infringing on the others design.

jubalharshaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jubalharshaw
cactusjomak wrote:The Michigan board in not Michigan. That is the Lower Part only! I find it highly offensive and borderline discrimination! Where is the U.P. Woot? I want to file a formal complaint! As a Yooper!

Yooper? I barely knew her!!!

Bill Lukens
Bluemont, VA

sdownin

countdown wrote:Can someone clarify the whole Core Bamboo vs Totally Bamboo?

I was just browsing here: http://fab.com/sale/19308/

And I noticed they have the exact same over the sink cutting boards, but they are listed as "Core Bamboo". (http://fab.com/sale/19308/product/164816/)

What is going on here? Whatever it is, it seems deceitful. I feel like a company that starts up, should be forced to stick with their name regardless of reputation for a certain number of years.

If they are different companies, I feel like one must be infringing on the others design.

I'm fairly certain that they're different companies that make bamboo products.

Core Bamboo brand seems to be the "poor quality" brand (roughly sanded, splinters, and splits).

Totally Bamboo brand seems to be pretty high quality (smoothly sanded, nicely finished, durable).

I've also gotten a Tru Bamboo brand cutting board at my local Publix supermarket. That brand is pimped out by Master Chef Ming Tsai. It also seems to be similar quality to Totallty Bamboo brand - at least the cutting boards I've bought have.

uallas5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uallas5
sdownin wrote:As another potentially helpful hint, for the plain cutting boards without the grippy bits (boards like the Martinique and the Congo, here), a piece of non-slip shelf liner between the cutting board and the counter can keep the cutting board nice and stable and keep it from accidentally sliding around on you while you're working.

The shelf liner is dirt cheap, too. Target has some for $2 a roll.

I worked as a chef for 10 years, we would just use a damp kitchen towel underneath the board to keep it from sliding. Those were 1.5' x 2.5' boards, so a home size one stays nice and firm with just a sheet of paper towel. Wet it and squeeze out any excess moisture. Then when you're done, you can use it to wipe the counter!

charliekwalker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages charliekwalker

I bought the Totally Bamboo 15" Round Butcher Block about a month ago, it developed a split in about a week, having never been used, not even once. Buyer beware.

lovejunkie00

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lovejunkie00

I got my cutting board a couple days ago. When I opened it, there was this terrible chemical smell emanating from the board. Since then I've given it a good scrub and let it air dry (outside, because it smells so terrible). Should I be concerned? How long until it goes away? I can barely sit next to it if the wind is still. Has this happened to anyone else??

lovejunkie00

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lovejunkie00

It still smells very bad today. Anyone else go through this? I really wanna season it, but what's the point if its going to imbue food with chemical odors or tastes.

lovejunkie00 wrote:I got my cutting board a couple days ago. When I opened it, there was this terrible chemical smell emanating from the board. Since then I've given it a good scrub and let it air dry (outside, because it smells so terrible). Should I be concerned? How long until it goes away? I can barely sit next to it if the wind is still. Has this happened to anyone else??

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lovejunkie00 wrote:It still smells very bad today. Anyone else go through this? I really wanna season it, but what's the point if its going to imbue food with chemical odors or tastes.

I haven't heard anyone else mention this. You might contact Totally Bamboo to see what they say. You can also contact Woot Customer Service at support@woot.com.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

SunflowerPrincess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SunflowerPrincess

I ordered two of the surf board cutting boards. They arrived quickly and did not have a smell.

My boys room is decorated with a surfer theme and we are going to hang these on the wall for decoration, if we need a serving board shaped like a surf board we can just take it down, use it and put it back.

I also went to the website and found some other cool stuff.

Oops, my Tiara slipped!