Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3107 Private Messages lichme

A less than impressive 2.5 Star of 15 reviews

[MOD: Slightly different specs.]

kcartwright

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kcartwright

This one seems to be a closer match.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-15-6-Inch-Ultrabook-Graphite/dp/B00AXVLRD0/ref=amtcd_B00ATANXDW_B00AXVLRD0

Only one star, but only one review, and their complaint is that a key was stuck and they sent it back.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Here are the passmarks on the CPU Take it with a grain of salt because it does compare Desktop and Laptop setups in the whole mix.

lichme wrote:
[MOD: Slightly different specs.]

Lichme you boneheaded Chumly.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3789 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this review from notebookcheck.net

kanamin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kanamin

But can I downgrade it to Windows 7

jmeineke

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jmeineke

Better deal at Costco if you are memeber. 1tb HD and 3337U vs 750gb hd and 3317U. Plus 2 year warranty and 90 day return. Oh and the keyboard is back-lit.
http://www.costco.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-U510-Ultrabook%2c-Intel%C2%AE-Core-i5-3337U-1.8GHz.product.100023043.html

ebalzen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ebalzen

not speak to this specific laptop, but I have owned about 30 laptops (work & personal combined). I bought a Lenovo 15" about 3 years ago for my wife, who uses her laptop about 6 hours per week. With that infrequent use, the touch-pad coating STILL wore down within 9 months, to the point that all she had remaining was a while piece of plastic. I contacted Lenovo customer service, only to be told (17 calls & emails later) that "if the component remains functional, we will not replace it." I argued for months with no satisfaction from Lenovo. Subsequently, I feel obligated to tell prospective buyers of this odd experience. I will NEVER own another Lenovo.

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234
kanamin wrote:But can I downgrade it to Windows 7

Use Start8 or retroui do get back the start menu and to hide Metro. Windows 8 is pretty cool after doing that.

abhijit74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abhijit74

Thank you!

jmeineke wrote:Better deal at Costco if you are memeber. 1tb HD and 3337U vs 750gb hd and 3317U. Plus 2 year warranty and 90 day return. Oh and the keyboard is back-lit.
http://www.costco.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-U510-Ultrabook%2c-Intel%C2%AE-Core-i5-3337U-1.8GHz.product.100023043.html

pupyluvr

quality posts: 51 Private Messages pupyluvr

Eww Yuck... It's a dual core!
Grody to the max, gag me with a spoon.

whitejohnt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whitejohnt

These machines make very nice boat anchors.

mjburns9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjburns9
ebalzen wrote:not speak to this specific laptop, but I have owned about 30 laptops (work & personal combined). I bought a Lenovo 15" about 3 years ago for my wife, who uses her laptop about 6 hours per week. With that infrequent use, the touch-pad coating STILL wore down within 9 months, to the point that all she had remaining was a while piece of plastic. I contacted Lenovo customer service, only to be told (17 calls & emails later) that "if the component remains functional, we will not replace it." I argued for months with no satisfaction from Lenovo. Subsequently, I feel obligated to tell prospective buyers of this odd experience. I will NEVER own another Lenovo.

So what's your point? Your message does not say it stopped working, which was Lenovo's criteria for replacing the touchpad.

I agree with many of the posters - this deal is a FAIL on many counts.
1. Not Windows 7.
2. Only a dual-core.
3. Price not competitive.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

ebalzen wrote:
not speak to this specific laptop, but I have owned about 30 laptops (work & personal combined). I bought a Lenovo 15" about 3 years ago for my wife, who uses her laptop about 6 hours per week. With that infrequent use, the touch-pad coating STILL wore down within 9 months, to the point that all she had remaining was a while piece of plastic. I contacted Lenovo customer service, only to be told (17 calls & emails later) that "if the component remains functional, we will not replace it." I argued for months with no satisfaction from Lenovo. Subsequently, I feel obligated to tell prospective buyers of this odd experience. I will NEVER own another Lenovo.

mjburns9 wrote:So what's your point? Your message does not say it stopped working, which was Lenovo's criteria for replacing the touchpad.

I agree with many of the posters - this deal is a FAIL on many counts.
1. Not Windows 7.
2. Only a dual-core.
3. Price not competitive.

huh?

@ebalzen's point was they had mixed/poor results with both the hardware and Lenovo's support. That's exactly the kind of info that is useful to folks who have not owned the Lenovo consumer grade laptops.

marquis1photo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages marquis1photo
bluemaple wrote:
huh?
@ebalzen's point was they had mixed/poor results with both the hardware and Lenovo's support. That's exactly the kind of info that is useful to folks who have not owned the Lenovo consumer grade laptops.

bluemaple wrote:

but it not that bad. It was still working. Why would they replace something that is still working. AFter nine months of use it is not going to look new. At $600 you are not getting a premium laptop. At best it lower midrange and should expect as much.

Better deal at Costco if you are memeber. 1tb HD and 3337U vs 750gb hd and 3317U. Plus 2 year warranty and 90 day return. Oh and the keyboard is back-lit.

Much better deal. And better return policy if you use it for 6 hours a week and find fault with it.

Buckycubes and misc kids.woots.
I love woot-offs

Evolution2001

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Evolution2001

This is an "OK" deal for people that aren't technical. But for computer geeks like myself, there are potentially better deals. I just spec'd this system out for my cousin and it comes in just under the same price as this Woot lappy. ($592 for my recommended system)

Lenovo G580 - $450
- Core i5 3210M (2.50GHz)
- 4GB DDR3 1600
- 500GB HDD
- same 15.6" screen

4GB RAM - $26
Dedicated 128GB SSD - $90
External USB3 SATA3 case - $26

So what all does this get the more techy person?
An overall better processor. The 3317U in Woot's laptop isn't quite as good as the one in my recommendation, the 3210M. Mine has slightly higher power draw, but it's faster in both CPU and GPU. It also uses PCIe rev3, versus Woot's CPU using PCIe rev2. And processing wise, it's more efficient, so you're getting more done in a shorter period of time.

In my setup, you're getting a dedicated high performance 128GB SSD and you can take the original 500GB HDD and place it in the conveniently supplied external USB3, self-powered enclosure. For some, this is a more secure practice for data protection since it's now an "online/offline" source of data backup. All your eggs ("data") aren't in one basket ("the laptop").

As for people seeing "dual core" and scoffing...Looking down because it's a "dual core" is simply an uneducated view. It's a multithreaded chip, so guess what? When you look in Task Manager or Process Explorer, you're going to see 4 CPUs represented, not 2. These processors effectively run circles around AMD's comparable A-series of multicore chips, as well as Intel's own previous line of true quad core chips. These processors are much more efficient in terms of raw processing and data prediction.

Lastly, from what I can tell, my recommendation comes with a better battery. More cell and higher "Ah" rating means longer overall battery life. And because you may not always have your external drive plugged in, you aren't constantly spinning an internal HDD like in Woot's setup.

For $7 less than Woot, my setup is faster in CPU, graphics, and primary disk performance. You get slightly less HDD space (~100GB), but you get it more portable and safely kept.

POST EDIT: Either system should be able to have Win8 removed and Win7 installed. Lenovo (unlike HP and some others) is very good about driver support with legacy and TBA operating systems.
As well, I specifically said mine is for 'tech' people because 1) it requires swapping out parts and 2) reloading your preferred choice of OS, in this case, Win7 for most people.
Win8 is intended for tablets, phones, and touchscreen devices. Consumer desktops & laptops, not so much. (different topic, different rant)

thelocker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thelocker

Does anyone know which version of Windows 8? Home, home premium, pro, ultimate, or some other useless naming convention?

[MOD: It's Windows 8. No suffixes.]

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090
Evolution2001 wrote:This is an "OK" deal for people that aren't technical. But for computer geeks like myself, there are potentially better deals. I just spec'd this system out for my cousin and it comes in just under the same price as this Woot lappy. ($592 for my recommended system)

Lenovo G580 - $450
- Core i5 3210M (2.50GHz)
- 4GB DDR3 1600
- 500GB HDD
- same 15.6" screen

4GB RAM - $26
Dedicated 128GB SSD - $90
External USB3 SATA3 case - $26

So what all does this get the more techy person?
An overall better processor. The 3317U in Woot's laptop isn't quite as good as the one in my recommendation, the 3210M. Mine has slightly higher power draw, but it's faster in both CPU and GPU. It also uses PCIe rev3, versus Woot's CPU using PCIe rev2. And processing wise, it's more efficient, so you're getting more done in a shorter period of time.

In my setup, you're getting a dedicated high performance 128GB SSD and you can take the original 500GB HDD and place it in the conveniently supplied external USB3, self-powered enclosure. For some, this is a more secure practice for data protection since it's now an "online/offline" source of data backup. All your eggs ("data") aren't in one basket ("the laptop").

As for people seeing "dual core" and scoffing...Looking down because it's a "dual core" is simply an uneducated view. It's a multithreaded chip, so guess what? When you look in Task Manager or Process Explorer, you're going to see 4 CPUs represented, not 2. These processors effectively run circles around AMD's comparable A-series of multicore chips, as well as Intel's own previous line of true quad core chips. These processors are much more efficient in terms of raw processing and data prediction.

Lastly, from what I can tell, my recommendation comes with a better battery. More cell and higher "Ah" rating means longer overall battery life. And because you may not always have your external drive plugged in, you aren't constantly spinning an internal HDD like in Woot's setup.

For $7 less than Woot, my setup is faster in CPU, graphics, and primary disk performance. You get slightly less HDD space (~100GB), but you get it more portable and safely kept.

I did something similar with a $400 Asus K55A-HI5103D that I bought back in february from woot. $150 samsung 250 gb ssd + $50 on low latency, low power 8gb RAM. This hybrid ssd stuff is OK but nothing like a real dedicated SSD. The only thing that I still hate about today's laptops are that they still have the crappy 1366 x 768 resolution from like 10 years ago. People need to realize that they need to check benchmarks for more accurate information when comparing processors. The one in my laptop is the same as yours Core i5-3210M. The benchmark for this processor is 3828 which will beat most mobile quad core processors (even some of the I7 mobile quads).

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

bluemaole wrote:

huh?

marquis1photo wrote:but it not that bad. It was still working. Why would they replace something that is still working. AFter nine months of use it is not going to look new. At $600 you are not getting a premium laptop. At best it lower midrange and should expect as much.

All of our laptops are consumer grade, ranging in age from 1-5 years old, heavily used, and various $500/600 non-Lenovo brands. None of them have peeling or parts falling off, currently, much less when they were 9 months old.

Go for Lenovo consumer grade laptops if you like them...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

thelocker wrote:Does anyone know which version of Windows 8? Home, home premium, pro, ultimate, or some other useless naming convention?

Microsoft did away with all the suffixes with Windows 8. There's only Windows 8 and Windows 8 Professional.

This has Windows 8.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

Staff

PRICE CHANGE

The price has been lowered to $549.

If you already purchased the computer, you will automagically be refunded the difference.

Now please buy one. The buyer is curled up in the corner rocking back-n-forth muttering about how wooters hate him. Please show some love.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

99redtj

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 99redtj

People complaining about the dual core are kinda missing the point of a cheaper laptop. Not that there aren't cheaper options available.

For this price you're getting a great hard drive setup with the SSD and SATA drives. You get 8GB of RAM too. This would make a great basic office travel laptop or a home machine.

And yes, Win8. I'm sure you can pop the copy of Win7 you have laying around in it, or just run Office and your Internet apps in 8.

Yeah, this isn't going to be your Adobe Machine, or your CAD machine but it will make a great machine for most tasks. This machine will be plenty fast for a majority of users.

jimdfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimdfan

Thanks for the info. I purchased one, but I do not see the confirmation by email or in the Stuff You Bought. How I know I loaded one?

ThunderThighs wrote:PRICE CHANGE

The price has been lowered to $549.

If you already purchased the computer, you will automagically be refunded the difference.

Now please buy one. The buyer is curled up in the corner rocking back-n-forth muttering about how wooters hate him. Please show some love.

buckibacker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buckibacker

Anyone have any suggestions on a "gaming" desktop or laptop for my son? He's always on Minecraft and it lags due to the processer speed of his current laptop. Of course I'm looking for a somewhat inexpensive unit, if there is such a thing. Thanks for any suggestions!

ThunderThighs

Staff

jimdfan wrote:Thanks for the info. I purchased one, but I do not see the confirmation by email or in the Stuff You Bought. How I know I loaded one?

Check again in a bit. If it's still not showing up, email support@woot.com for assistance.

FORUM MODERATOR

mitchwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mitchwooter

I don't want no stinking Windows 8!!!

felloweskimo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages felloweskimo

$699 Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-59347428-U510-15-6-Inch-Ultrabook/dp/B009AEPU8Y/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364401842&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=levovo+ideapad+u510+laptop

gak0090

buckibacker wrote:Anyone have any suggestions on a "gaming" desktop or laptop for my son? He's always on Minecraft and it lags due to the processer speed of his current laptop. Of course I'm looking for a somewhat inexpensive unit, if there is such a thing. Thanks for any suggestions!

This should work if you can do a desktop (about $600 total):

HP Pavilion P7-1446S Refurbished Desktop PC - AMD Quad-Core A10-5700 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 8 64-bit, Mouse & Keyboard (RB-H3Z36AAR)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7674776&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CNGv7_GmnbYCFXSVMgodrgwANQ

Here is a decent monitor to go with it:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-S211HL-21-5-Inch-Widescreen-Ultra-Slim/dp/B003U4IROY/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1364401574&sr=1-6&keywords=1920x1080+monitor

4376 CPU passmark for the A10-5700

the integrated graphics are
Radeon HD 7660D, passmark= 835 (avg G3D mark)

Even though these are integrated graphics, they should have no problem running Minecraft

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/359144-28-5800k-black-radeon-7660d

mecos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mecos

how well could this run bioshock infinite? :P

Castlevania

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Castlevania

I bought this exact model last week off NewEgg. They currently have a promotion where you receive a free 1TB Iomega NAS with the purchase of this model, a $139.00 value.

Regarding the laptop itself, it is a nice unit, but the track pad is terrible. They should have made the mouse buttons separate pieces instead of making it all one giant piece of plastic. Other than that, it's great. I removed Win8, and put on Win7, and have had no issues.

vatchman

quality posts: 9 Private Messages vatchman
ebalzen wrote:not speak to this specific laptop, but I have owned about 30 laptops (work & personal combined). I bought a Lenovo 15" about 3 years ago for my wife, who uses her laptop about 6 hours per week. With that infrequent use, the touch-pad coating STILL wore down within 9 months, to the point that all she had remaining was a while piece of plastic. I contacted Lenovo customer service, only to be told (17 calls & emails later) that "if the component remains functional, we will not replace it." I argued for months with no satisfaction from Lenovo. Subsequently, I feel obligated to tell prospective buyers of this odd experience. I will NEVER own another Lenovo.

Time for laptop #31

asjxvii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asjxvii

Buyer beware on this laptop. Have many problems with keyboard mappings. overall quality is poor.

daboijordan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daboijordan

How would this handle the newest ubuntu distro?

gak0090

chefferz wrote:Want a good gaming laptop for a good price?

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=457&Code=59360114&AID=10383968&PID=919776&CJURL=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.lenovo.com%2FSEUILibrary%2Fcontroller%2Fe%2Fweb%2FLenovoPortal%2Fen_US%2Fcatalog.workflow%3Aitem.detail%3FGroupID%3D457%26Code%3D59360114&PUBNAME=Passwird&NID=CJ

$710.

This has a GT650m, i7-3630QM, and 8gb of ram.

Why would they make such a nice computer and still stick it with this crappy resolution 1366x768? Engineers should be fired for doing this.

daboijordan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daboijordan

are there linux drives for everything on that laptop

impelicanfly

quality posts: 3 Private Messages impelicanfly
Evolution2001 wrote:

LOL at "running circles" around AMD's A series APUs. Yea even though you'll get "slightly higher" CPU benchmarks (that you wont really notice in real world situations) from a 3rd gen i5 vs a Trinity A10 or a Llano A8, at least you can game on an AMD APU.

Run some 3dmark or FPS tests on an AMD APU vs Intel's HD 4000, and we'll who'se "running circles"around whom......