Tsonomi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tsonomi
robflyinfish wrote:I think ill go with a 2 hose unit

Does any body here know whether condensate water is "pumped" out of the unit OR is " evaporated" out and then discharged out with the air exhaust ?[/quote]

==

The operation should be much like that of the window units.

Water is condensed from the air and this condesate will drip into a collection pan. The elimination process is two fold. The water is splashed on the evaporator to help cool it down and evaporate the water. The air borne water will be blown through the tube and out the window.
On heavy damp days the system may be over whelmed with the water collected and you will have to remove the water from the collection pan.
This is basically a window unit with plumbing and wheels.
The advantage of a window unit is it drains the overflow out the window.
The advantage of this unit is it is portable. maybe a plus, or not.

skellobissis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skellobissis

I want to do the same thing, does this unit need to have a water discharge hose? Can i just empty the tank every so often?

Tatts wrote:Sure, and the workers will just love you for doing that!

We had a similar setup to cool a small, overloaded server room that overheated. We dumped the warm air into a larger conditioned space (ours was a 2-hose unit, not 1). The air supply into the server room just could not handle the heat, so this took the load off and transferred it to a larger, seldom-used space.

You'll need to handle the water situation, though.

derrickj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derrickj
ThunderThighs wrote:Whoa. Prices never go up on anything ever any place else in the whole wide world either!

Safe to guess that maybe our cost went up since 9months ago.

Whoa. Companies never try to make more margin on any product any time in the whole wide world.

Would it be equally safe to guess that maybe your margin is going up since 9 months ago?

You raised prices, own it- don't feel like you need to justify it. If someone doesn't understand basic supply/demand/costs that's a lesson they won't learn from a post; but you know and I know that your cost didn't go up $30 as your response implies.

pwoznic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pwoznic

Hmm.. this unit (heh, unit) is tempting in case I would need to use my generator in the summer heat.. my genny is way too small for the central air, but to keep a couple rooms cool.. seems like a good idea.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 24 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

I used to work nights and sleep during the day. My housing doesn't allow AC, so if it was 90 degrees outside, it was probably 110 in my bedroom. Try sleeping through that! The unit I bought was not the same model as this, but same manufacturer and similar specs. I found it pretty easy to set up--hang the vent in the window and plug it in--it was fairly quiet and did an adequate job of cooling a roughly 12x12 bedroom. My biggest concern with it was while it ran fairly quietly for the most part, every time it would start up, it would make a loud click or thunk noise that would usually wake me up. I eventually sold the unit to some guy for his pregnant wife. They have to get used to not sleeping anyway, right?

compcond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages compcond

Low efficiency, single hose design. It sucks in your newly cooled air to cool itself and blows it outside sucking hot air into the room to replace it. Otherwise great unit.

garymbos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garymbos

Bought 1 last summer, then another one 2 weeks later on a woot off. Very nice units. Easy to set ups and operate.

Gary Bosiacki

Redw0lf0

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Redw0lf0

Bought 1 of these last summer. While it certainly is not a "portable" unit, it does have the advantage of fitting inside any window configuration, which is its one advantage over traditional window units. If you have vertical windows (move up and down) then I would recommend going with a window unit. If you have horizontal windows like I do, then you probably should go with this portable a/c.

rebontheweb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rebontheweb
tjdercks wrote:
Does air blow out the hose (like an exhaust fan), or is it just a vent? If only a small amount of air is being exchanged ... no big deal.

It blows a large volume of air out like an exhaust fan.

I got one of these (exact same model, or indistinguishably similar) a couple of summers ago, and it worked adequately to cool a mid-size bedroom. But then last summer it pretty much quit cooling. Out of desperation, I bought duct insulation to cover the exhaust hose (I recommend this anyway, for any portable unit, for maximum efficiency), but it still doesn't cool the room much anymore. Maybe 5 or 10 degrees, tops (the first summer, it was dropping it by about 20 degrees).

As others have noted, the whole window assembly is pretty flimsy and leaky. After a couple of weeks, we cut an opening in the wall and ducted it like a clothes dryer. I much preferred that to having my window blocked.

We never had problems with the tank filling up (but we're in Colorado, so our humidity is very low). The noise level is a little high, but I didn't mind it.

The bottom line is that this is a pretty good price for this unit, and as long as it works, it's not bad. But keep in mind that portable AC units are NOT really portable, they are not very efficient, and they seem to have terrible reliability (we have another unit of another brand that totally conked out after just a couple of months). If any other type of AC is feasible for you, go with that instead. But if this type of unit is your only option, be prepared that you may only get one or two seasons' use out of it. They should be called "disposable AC units" instead of "portable."

polysorbate

quality posts: 7 Private Messages polysorbate

Plasmacluster Ion Technology????
Will it provide enough thrust to escape the heliopause?

hearthbeats

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hearthbeats
ntanner05 wrote:Should I be worried that its refurbished?

I don't know if being refurbished is why it is such a seemingly low capability to output cold air. I bought one last year, and it outputs only "slightly cooler that room temp" air - but never, ever, COLD air.

grantkruger

quality posts: 2 Private Messages grantkruger
conanthelibrarian wrote:OK reviews (3.0 out of 5.0) over at amazon

There are some good reviews there that are well worth reading, though as others have pointed out people tend to review portable AC units poorly, largely because they are not as good as a window unit. That's just daft, like giving a laptop a lower rating because it's not as powerful as a desktop. They are not fairly comparable. One is portable and one is powerful... pick what you need.

Sala kahle,
Grant

grantkruger

quality posts: 2 Private Messages grantkruger

I've had mine for two years and it's very useful to me. I'm able to move it from room to room, which was what I needed. I'd give it a 7 out of 10 and I'm glad I bought it. The big critique of this unit is the drainage of water. This only affects the dehumidifier mode as all other water is flushed out the air vent in all other modes... which is awesome. Emptying tanks is for the birds. I didn't even know it had a tank until I used the dehumidifier about a year after I bought it.

The problem is that if you do use the dehumidifier then the tank and drainage do come into play, and they are poor. The device shuts down when the tank is full. The tank is small and not removable. Instead it has a drainage outlet that is a low pipe close to the ground, meaning that you have to take it some place to drain or place your own tray under the pipe. I wheel mine out onto the balcony and just let it drain off the edge. You can apparently purchase a drainage pipe and even a pump to handle this better.

Oh and be sure to empty the tank if you're not going to use the dehumidifier for a while... because the tank will rust! I know, pretty daft choice there, but rust is what came out with the water the first time I emptied it after it had stood a while.

Also... it's heavy... really heavy. This is only portable on one level of a house/apartment. You will not want to take this up and down even a single stair.

But given that I live in an apartment and need a very portable unit I'd have to say that this unit has worked out really well for me. That it can vent air, just be a fan, ionize the air, be a dehumidifier and be an AC too... all for $250... well you get a lot for your money. I'd say it was well worth it.

Sala kahle,
Grant

anago

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anago

Single hose... meh, I'll pass on this one.

I’m addicted to placebos. I could quit, but it wouldn’t matter. -- Steven Wright

tjdercks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tjdercks
rebontheweb wrote:It blows a large volume of air out like an exhaust fan.

Thanks for the reply ... and although it is not the answer I wanted, it is what I expected. Seems like a two hose system is what I need.

anago

tjdercks wrote:Thanks for the reply ... and although it is not the answer I wanted, it is what I expected. Seems like a two hose system is what I need.

That's why I posted my comment earlier. With a single hose system you are using your expensive conditioned air to cool the condenser. 2 hose is way more efficient.

I’m addicted to placebos. I could quit, but it wouldn’t matter. -- Steven Wright

kren2000

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kren2000

No SEER rating, no interest.

cartervt2k

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cartervt2k

OT: I ordered the 60" tv off of woot the other day and just got my shipment notice. It says my tracking number is WT######## where the #'s are just my woot order number - ie useless. Will they publish a real tracking number later?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

cartervt2k wrote:OT: I ordered the 60" tv off of woot the other day and just got my shipment notice. It says my tracking number is WT######## where the #'s are just my woot order number - ie useless. Will they publish a real tracking number later?

The tracking number should update shortly. If you don't see an update shortly, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they can help you out.

tlowers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlowers

Works okay, and I don't regret the purchase, but it is not made for humid areas. The unit had to be emptied every hour/two hours tops. This made it impossible to run overnight, which was when I wanted it the most. I ended up rigging a hose to the spout on the tank and running it to a bigger tank, all of which tended to leak. Don't use on carpet for this very reason.

darnit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darnit
cartervt2k wrote:OT: I ordered the 60" tv off of woot the other day and just got my shipment notice. It says my tracking number is WT######## where the #'s are just my woot order number - ie useless. Will they publish a real tracking number later?

Assuming they used the same carrier as when I ordered a similar model off Woot Plus a few weeks ago, try the following:

harmony.myseko.com/Track/Result/WT###### (of course, your order number in place of the # signs).

afruzzetti

quality posts: 1 Private Messages afruzzetti

I have one of these and a couple other brands of portable ACs. I recommend the kind with two tubes, for whatever reason (probably science) their tanks don't fill up as quickly. Do not be fooled! If you live in a humid area such as the upper midwest, the tank on this model will fill, and once full, it will cease operation until emptied. This could be more than once in a single evening! Also, the casters either come broken or break very easily, though that's less of an issue.

sbigshot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbigshot
gjbquist wrote:Why $249.99 Woot? You had this for $219.99 last July.

Yup!! I bought one & have been very pleased with it!

anago

afruzzetti wrote:I have one of these and a couple other brands of portable ACs. I recommend the kind with two tubes, for whatever reason (probably science) their tanks don't fill up as quickly. Do not be fooled! If you live in a humid area such as the upper midwest, the tank on this model will fill, and once full, it will cease operation until emptied. This could be more than once in a single evening! Also, the casters either come broken or break very easily, though that's less of an issue.

Correct... because of science.

With one tube, your room air that you've spent so much energy cooling is pumped outside across the condenser to cool it. Waste and expense. Two tubes means that air is pulled from outside to cool the condenser before being returned outside. Your expensive interior cold air is not touched. One tube intake and one tube exhaust for condenser cooling.

I believe this relatively closed system with the outside air/condenser cooling air results in the water not being able to accumulate as much or at all.

baggerflip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baggerflip
Tsonomi wrote:====

Ok, you want to turn your truck engine off and run off an INVERTER?
Unless your truck sports a bank of battery for the inverter, I'd give it a big no. The AC runs at 10 amps. to make that, the inverter is eating 100 amps of battery power. The rule is one 12v 100AH battery will supply 5A for 20 hours. But I would not put it on the starting battery, bad idea.

This was tried by an air con company for trucks. Used an inverter for the exact reason you are thinking about. They took if off the market after a few years. I don't know the actual reason but I would suspect it was because of battery life.

If you do hazzard this attempt, think STRONGLY of using solar panels also on the roof of your truck cab.

By the way, Where would you put it? Kick the rider seat out? I could take that space easily.

Oh well, it was a thought, a
bad one, but a thought none the less,

voldejour

quality posts: 0 Private Messages voldejour

Wow. I got this today and as some reviewers said, two wheels were found broken when I took it out of the box. Plus it was so dirty and there were scratches everywhere. I know this is a refub unit but I still feel like I got ripped off.

ROGETRAY

Staff

voldejour wrote:Wow. I got this today and as some reviewers said, two wheels were found broken when I took it out of the box. Plus it was so dirty and there were scratches everywhere. I know this is a refub unit but I still feel like I got ripped off.

Sorry to hear that the item you received was damaged.

Please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to answer any questions or concerns you might have with your purchase.

reflex

quality posts: 1 Private Messages reflex

Who do you contact to get a replacement wheel? Other then the broken wheel it appears to look good, I just have to get it set up.

ashe3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashe3
reflex wrote:Who do you contact to get a replacement wheel? Other then the broken wheel it appears to look good, I just have to get it set up.

This is a solution for DIYers who don't mind voiding warranties (like me):

Mine arrived with a broken wheel, like many others described. It works flawlessly otherwise, so it's probably just an issue with packaging or, more likely, poor quality casters that can't deal with the weight.

I went out to Lowe's and found a pair of 1 5/8" casters with plates on top. They're approximately the same height, made out of a higher quality rubber, and the plate on them is similar in size to the original plate on the casters. The original casters have a 1" square plate, while these had a 1" x 1.5"-ish plate.

The screw holes didn't match, so I was about to bite the bullet and find a book or something to prop it up, but then I thought to drill a couple of new holes for them. Took the front cover off to make sure I wasn't hitting anything important. The right side was pretty clear, but the left side has a frame that I needed to be careful not to hit. Marked, drilled, and voila, two new higher quality wheels screwed in with a spare to tuck away when the back ones explode too.

I couldn't find a link on lowes.com, but here's the part I used:

http://www.tools2parts.com/Waxman-Consumer-Group-4265595N-p/2221-3151.htm

Sorry if this is breaking any Woot rules, but I thought that since this was a common issue, some people would like to know. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

reflex wrote:Who do you contact to get a replacement wheel? Other then the broken wheel it appears to look good, I just have to get it set up.

Try contacting Sharp. They should have parts to send you a replacement. Sorry for the problem.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

shanjames

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shanjames

Received two of them today. One was shipped upside down. (Is that bad?) One unit had two broken wheels. The other had one broken wheel. I wish all three broken wheels were on the same unit! :-p

ROGETRAY

Staff

shanjames wrote:Received two of them today. One was shipped upside down. (Is that bad?) One unit had two broken wheels. The other had one broken wheel. I wish all three broken wheels were on the same unit! :-p

Sorry to hear that you experienced shipping issues.

Please feel free to contact Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know what has happened. Please include your Order Number and Username so they can help you in a timely manner.

ashe3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashe3
shanjames wrote:Received two of them today. One was shipped upside down. (Is that bad?) One unit had two broken wheels. The other had one broken wheel. I wish all three broken wheels were on the same unit! :-p

The caster wheels are all the same size, and are only being held on by a single screw. Easy to swap.

voldejour

quality posts: 0 Private Messages voldejour

Mine didn't come with the window kit. On top of two broken wheels this is a real disappointment.