WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Pranks, For The Memories

Today? They're on their guard. Even a simple "watch out, there's a car coming" might be met with "NOT TODAY, BUDDY!" But next week? Next month? They'll have forgotten that pranks even exist. AND THAT IS WHEN YOU STRIKE!

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

My dad will find the shocking pen hilarious. He has a defibrillator implant.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen

Duh! Would have been nice if they posted this in time for April Fools Day.

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

The drill gun is awesome!

that was fun while it lasted!

matthewjfazio

quality posts: 3 Private Messages matthewjfazio

Aren't all these pranks a little high priced for what they do? Or is that part of the joke I'm too slow to catch onto...

$18 for a Meow button?!?

- Matthew J. Fazio

niktionary

quality posts: 0 Private Messages niktionary

Prices are a joke right? The chattering teeth 12 pack is about $10 on Amazon with free prime shipping.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I think my son had every one of the shocking things in middle and high school. He's swap out the teacher's stapler or lay a pen out for someone to find. Surprisingly, most of the teachers went along with it.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

tauntingemu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tauntingemu

I feel somewhat uncomfortable at the fact that I already own one of those squirrel masks.

It works well coupled with [fake] blood and [fake] fingers. That's what squirrels eat, after all.

honeybadger12

quality posts: 7 Private Messages honeybadger12

Something doesn't seem right about the prices. I suspect they're priced $10 too high...?

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975

the prank here are the prices.
the shock gum is 2.30 shipping for free.

http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-SCG-Shock-Chewing-Gum/dp/B001L76OEM

the joke golf balls are 12, again with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Awesome-Foursome-Novelty-Golf-Balls/dp/B001F3020Y

the chicken head mask ships for around 20, a little cheaper if you have amazon prime.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004A2CMKK

april fools.

I always did like yardsales.

Karizma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Karizma
matthewjfazio wrote:Aren't all these pranks a little high priced for what they do? Or is that part of the joke I'm too slow to catch onto...

$18 for a Meow button?!?

These prices must be an April Fools joke. The Meow button is $12.95 on gadgetsandgear.com and the size of the button is sooooo small.

spacefox

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spacefox

Looks like 12 dozen (144) fake cockroaches here for $16-ish plus whatever shipping fees.
http://www.funslurp.com/fake-roaches-144-p-992.html?gclid=CM_S4oS_qbYCFYpDMgodT1EAdA

regnowsin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages regnowsin

Those "Bacon" flavored jelly beans are one of the most disgusting things I have ever tasted. They were excellent as a prank though. If you want people to hate you.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Make the gag golf balls a reasonable price, and I'm in. Otherwise, Amazon has got another sale.

Bah... you get the money either way then I guess....

luke975

firebirdude wrote:Make the gag golf balls a reasonable price, and I'm in. Otherwise, Amazon has got another sale.

Bah... you get the money either way then I guess....

that may be the case, but why pay more than you have to? amazon has them for 12.

msgitlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msgitlin

You guys are missing the marketing strategy.

Step 1: Introduce a product that nobody would normally buy.

Step 2: Price the product high, so they check over at your cheaper-priced parent company (i.e. Amazon.com)

Step 3: Rake in the money when they purchase on Amazon.com thinking they're getting a better deal on a product they didn't need (or want).

Step 4: [Maniacal laugh]

Step 5: Repeat...

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
msgitlin wrote:You guys are missing the marketing strategy.

Step 1: Introduce a product that nobody would normally buy.

Step 2: Price the product high, so they check over at your cheaper-priced parent company (i.e. Amazon.com)

Step 3: Rake in the money when they purchase on Amazon.com thinking they're getting a better deal on a product they didn't need (or want).

Step 4: [Maniacal laugh]

Step 5: Repeat...

That plan would make sense if woot made ~any~ money off stuff sold at amazon.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid

Not sure if serious sale....

or just out of loop in inner circle of pranks.

Suck it, Trebek.

mesostinky

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mesostinky

I've held off on saying anything, but you know what woot? You said that Amazon buying you wouldn't change things but I think you were being a little misleading or being a little naive. It's fair to call these prices an insult to anyone who has shopped here or even takes 2 seconds to price compare. In some respects, Woot is now pretty much the same as every other "Deal a day" site out there. Put on a mockingly moany voice saying "You changed man..." if you must while you read this, but that won't change the fact that things like the B..O..C..'s disappearing and pricing like this shows you really have made some changes for the worse. Please don't blame us if we point that out.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster

The joy buzzer is what we all thought we were getting back when we bought the Adams version back in the day...only to realize it was a windup thing that made noise instead of giving them a jolt.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

vanevenhoven

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanevenhoven

(there was a B.O.see today at 9:00cst under the tools & garden)

mesostinky wrote:I've held off on saying anything, but you know what woot? You said that Amazon buying you wouldn't change things but I think you were being a little misleading or being a little naive. It's fair to call these prices an insult to anyone who has shopped here or even takes 2 seconds to price compare. In some respects, Woot is now pretty much the same as every other "Deal a day" site out there. Put on a mockingly moany voice saying "You changed man..." if you must while you read this, but that won't change the fact that things like the B..O..C..'s disappearing and pricing like this shows you really have made some changes for the worse. Please don't blame us if we point that out.

ohranj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ohranj

While my wife was at the OB/GYN today getting her last exam before our daughter is born (due April 7), I was sitting in the waiting room buying an insanely overpriced glorified fart machine.

Seeing as all of the pranks here are about $8 more after shipping than on the actual Gadgets and Gear website, I figured I would purposefully blow $21 on an annoying sound machine in the slim hopes that it may possibly be a front for a sweet sweet Beany or Cecil.

After all, I thought my baby's due date was perfect for 2 reasons: 1) she was conceived on my birthday (SCORE!), and 2) annual April Fool's Day/Birthday bags of crap for my little angel!

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
CowboyDann wrote:That plan would make sense if woot made ~any~ money off stuff sold at amazon.

If you're going to start using logic,I'll have nothing to say!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

ohranj wrote:While my wife was at the OB/GYN today getting her last exam before our daughter is born (due April 7), I was sitting in the waiting room buying an insanely overpriced glorified fart machine.

Seeing as all of the pranks here are about $8 more after shipping than on the actual Gadgets and Gear website, I figured I would purposefully blow $21 on an annoying sound machine in the slim hopes that it may possibly be a front for a sweet sweet Beany or Cecil.

After all, I thought my baby's due date was perfect for 2 reasons: 1) she was conceived on my birthday (SCORE!), and 2) annual April Fool's Day/Birthday bags of crap for my little angel!

congratulations!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

msgitlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msgitlin
CowboyDann wrote:That plan would make sense if woot made ~any~ money off stuff sold at amazon.

Loss-leader for the mothership?

Kerig

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Kerig
matthewjfazio wrote:$18 for a Meow button?!?

I wouldn't pay $18 for a cat.

Kerig

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Kerig
mesostinky wrote:I've held off on saying anything, but you know what woot? You said that Amazon buying you wouldn't change things but I think you were being a little misleading or being a little naive. It's fair to call these prices an insult to anyone who has shopped here or even takes 2 seconds to price compare. In some respects, Woot is now pretty much the same as every other "Deal a day" site out there. Put on a mockingly moany voice saying "You changed man..." if you must while you read this, but that won't change the fact that things like the B..O..C..'s disappearing and pricing like this shows you really have made some changes for the worse. Please don't blame us if we point that out.

Thank you!
Woot used to be fun to stay up late for. Now if I miss a midnight look I no longer panic and just check-in the next day. The products sold now are very different from Woot's early years and rarely do they sell out right away like they used to.

MegaOri

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MegaOri

Yeah, I have that squirrel mask. It's awesome.

addalight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages addalight
luke975 wrote:the prank here are the prices.
the shock gum is 2.30 shipping for free.

http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-SCG-Shock-Chewing-Gum/dp/B001L76OEM

the joke golf balls are 12, again with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Awesome-Foursome-Novelty-Golf-Balls/dp/B001F3020Y

the chicken head mask ships for around 20, a little cheaper if you have amazon prime.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004A2CMKK

april fools.

stupid.com has more better stuff.

Smith

Bblazina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bblazina
Kerig wrote:Thank you!
Woot used to be fun to stay up late for. Now if I miss a midnight look I no longer panic and just check-in the next day. The products sold now are very different from Woot's early years and rarely do they sell out right away like they used to.

I totally agree. And I'm finding more and more annoying all their "thanks for throwing money our way!" and other supposed-to-be-funny-vernacular, but when it comes to trying to return a product, they make it extremely difficult and expensive.

shark01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shark01

Just thought I'd give a 'head's up' on the Bacon Flavored Candy. I got some of that exact candy for my cousins last Christmas and I gotta say that was one of the nastiest tasting things I have put in my mouth in a long time. I also got them some bacon flavored mints and gum which weren't terrible, it was just this candy that was bad.

However, on the plus side, each piece of candy is individually wrapped and looks like a peppermint candy, so logical course of action we set upon was to offer a peppermint to your friends (or enemies) and then sit back and watch their reaction. Genius!

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom

Someone in Washington must have wandered over the Archie McPhee.

spacefox

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spacefox
Kerig wrote:I wouldn't pay $18 for a cat.

I'll give someone $18 to take my cat!

ohemgee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ohemgee

Too bad that chicken mask is sold out. It would have been perfect for the Hotline Miami costume I'm planning this Halloween.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

Obviously, the leftovers from this sale will be in the next Bushel of Crap. Did my BIL help you guys find this stuff? We get this kind of useless nonsense from him all the time. Merry crappy Xmas!

luke975

ohemgee wrote:Too bad that chicken mask is sold out. It would have been perfect for the Hotline Miami costume I'm planning this Halloween.

amazon is selling almost everything from this sale for less. including the chicken mask.

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
ohemgee wrote:Too bad that chicken mask is sold out. It would have been perfect for the Hotline Miami costume I'm planning this Halloween.

It's $24.99 on the manufacturer's site, so I don't know where they got this "list price".

Most if not all those products are from Archie McPhee.

luke975

craigthom wrote:It's $24.99 on the manufacturer's site, so I don't know where they got this "list price".

Most if not all those products are from Archie McPhee.

I have a hard time understanding why woot would purposely sell items at a higher cost than other sites. Many people have pointed out the abnormally high prices.

seems like they're taking advantage of people who are interested in an item but unwilling or uninformed enough to look elsewhere.

jponte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jponte

The hot candies! Shows a box with 2 packs of candies. well....got mine today, and its one little pack. Cost $15 plus $5 shipping AND tax!!!
That's the real prank!
Ridiculous, with a side of false advertising!

Fantasy

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jponte wrote:The hot candies! Shows a box with 2 packs of candies. well....got mine today, and its one little pack. Cost $15 plus $5 shipping AND tax!!!
That's the real prank!
Ridiculous, with a side of false advertising!

The photo showed one box with the resealable packages inside. The specs stated:

1 Ounce Package
Contains approximately 16-18 candies

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders