WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Tablets & Accessories

For so long we've been using a mouse, but we've always had it, that relentless desire to touch what we're looking at. Touching the screen would give us a deep intimate connection with our favorite websites and documents that we'd been previously sorely lacking. Well, fret no longer! Instead, celebrate! With tablets, you can touch the screen to your heart's content.

Quality Posts

takethemeatbridge

quality posts: 10 Private Messages takethemeatbridge

Decent review for the Asus Transformer Tablet with keyboard dock on Cnet.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/asus-transformer-pad-tf300/4505-3126_7-35230242.html

Summary: Pretty good performance at a good price. This is a good deal, with the included keyboard dock ($150 if bought new separately).

CaviMike

quality posts: 6 Private Messages CaviMike

Am I missing something here? I don't see a single one with Windows. Or Linux for that matter. It's all Android. Sorry guys, can't run real software on Android.

Personal info is personal.

tlazarus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tlazarus

Maybe I am missing something, but can't I buy a new ViewPad 10s directly from Viewsonic for less?

http://www.viewsonic.com/us/viewpad-10s.html

alanhwoot

quality posts: 40 Private Messages alanhwoot
CaviMike wrote:Am I missing something here? I don't see a single one with Windows. Or Linux for that matter. It's all Android. Sorry guys, can't run real software on Android.

From my Android tablet:

u0_a97@android:/ $ uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.39.4-Balthesaur-V2.75 #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 1
4 22:19:35 MST 2012 armv7l GNU/Linux

It's true that it doesn't run X, but that's an other issue.

quevvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quevvy
CaviMike wrote:Am I missing something here? I don't see a single one with Windows. Or Linux for that matter. It's all Android. Sorry guys, can't run real software on Android.

Actually, ASUS has software so that you can use your tablet as a computer. Granted, it basically connects to another computer and acts as the interface, and is not a easy to use as a full-fledged computer. But it's a pretty cool idea and weird to see Windows 7 on a tablet (for me).

Also, the TF300 is the first non-nexus tablet to get Android 4.2!

noiselessinfinity

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noiselessinfinity

I'm tempted to go for the Xyboard. Too bad it doesn't have an SD card slot to offset the limited capacity.

TiraNomChu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TiraNomChu

I have a Toshiba Thrive and I do have to admit that although it's a bit on the heavier side, I adore it. I had gotten it after much debate, having been finally won over by the assortment of ports, including USB, the replaceable battery, and the textured back...

it was also very important to me that it was still being considered in the upgrades for Android- it's running with the latest OS update.

However, probably my biggest peeve with it was that I had to find a good case/sleeve for it and didn't really want to gamble on a generic "for ipod" case since my dimensions are slightly different.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

where's the Archos tablets?

lstaff

quality posts: 202 Private Messages lstaff

I have two thrives and love,love,love them.

Due to our incredible carelessness, both screens are broken but they both function perfectly so i haven't replaced the glass.

If you buy a Thrive, you will not be disappointed.

badcatstl

quality posts: 6 Private Messages badcatstl

According to reviews the 7" view sonic cannot be upgraded beyond android 2.2

peterri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peterri

I bought my Vizio tablet off Woot approximately a year ago. LOVED it, until it quit charging within a few months. Vizio replaced it. My second tablet was wonderful . . . for about six months. That one, too, stopped charging. No replacement this time. I've tried another charger. Still nothing. As I've read reviews, I've found that the charging problem has been an issue. Has anyone found a solution for this? Very disappointed.

freychris424

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freychris424

I loved the tablet for 4 months but then it stopped charging because the micro USB cable could never make a connection to charge. Wasn't worth the cost of repair. A few other people have complained about this, maybe you'll get lucky but I wouldn't recommend it.

fredlordofcheese

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fredlordofcheese

I bought the Asus 16 gig/dock combo back in late November. I love my tablet, and it has become a little netbook with a touchscreen that I tote around almost everywhere. The ability to freak people out at meetings by ripping the screen off my "laptop" is also pretty wonderful.

It's great for quick notes, games, and media consumption. The resolution is not fantastic, but it's barely noticeable. It also has had 3 OTA updates so far, and is running 4.2 Jellybean. The performance is astounding, I can run any game on the market in full graphics mode with barely a twitch.

I only have a few complaints, no data connection, the GPS is mediocre at best, the plastic backing feels fragile/cheap (though tough and resilient so far) the back facing camera is really awful, and the screen is a pain in the ass to see in direct sunlight.

That being said, if you are looking for a reasonably priced 10" tablet, with good support and not much bloatware, I highly recommend it.

mick66

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mick66

The speaker stands are cheaper on Amazon (as low as $7.65) with the possible exception of the black one, and that's only more from amazon if you've unlocked free shipping on woot.

bluemidget

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bluemidget

for you Toshiba Thrive owners...looking for a deal on accessories...Ben's Outlet has a few left fyi http://www.bensoutlet.com/t/features/tablet

crimsonnac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crimsonnac

I currently own the xyboard and it's definitely a cool little tablet. I use it for pretty much of all internet needs/ SNES emulator/ time wasting. Kinda wish this deal had the xyboard accessories separately though, I would love a keyboard and protective case.

pakmoom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pakmoom

The latest Asus update turned my husband's tablet into a brick, completely dead. Avoid Asus at all costs.

pakmoom

fredlordofcheese wrote:I bought the Asus 16 gig/dock combo back in late November. I love my tablet, and it has become a little netbook with a touchscreen that I tote around almost everywhere. The ability to freak people out at meetings by ripping the screen off my "laptop" is also pretty wonderful.

It's great for quick notes, games, and media consumption. The resolution is not fantastic, but it's barely noticeable. It also has had 3 OTA updates so far, and is running 4.2 Jellybean. The performance is astounding, I can run any game on the market in full graphics mode with barely a twitch.

I only have a few complaints, no data connection, the GPS is mediocre at best, the plastic backing feels fragile/cheap (though tough and resilient so far) the back facing camera is really awful, and the screen is a pain in the ass to see in direct sunlight.

That being said, if you are looking for a reasonably priced 10" tablet, with good support and not much bloatware, I highly recommend it.

pakmoom

pakmoom wrote:

Beware of updates.

boblandau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boblandau

Is there no Square Trade Warranty available for the Asus red keyboard dock combo?

Edited to add: There's one there now, so I'm either losing it, or somebody snuck one in there. Makes the deal much more palatable.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

boblandau wrote:Is there no Square Trade Warranty available for the Asus red keyboard dock combo?

Edited to add: There's one there now, so I'm either losing it, or somebody snuck one in there. Makes the deal much more palatable.

Saw your question and asked. They said it was an oversight. Thanks for asking.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

fredlordofcheese

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fredlordofcheese
pakmoom wrote:Beware of updates.

Have you contacted Asus? It sounds like a problem they might be able to help fix. The updates shouldn't brick the tablet.

You could also try holding volume down and the power button, it should attempt to boot into recovery and you can plug it into a computer and possibly fix the problem.

morpheus1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morpheus1
freychris424 wrote:I loved the tablet for 4 months but then it stopped charging because the micro USB cable could never make a connection to charge. Wasn't worth the cost of repair. A few other people have complained about this, maybe you'll get lucky but I wouldn't recommend it.

That's what I hated about all the tabs until I found that the Tosh Thrive has a user replaceable battery (I got one on Ben's Outlet for about $8, along with a dock and spare charger) and lots of ports and an SD slot. I do love my (rooted) Thrive running the CM version of JB. Would buy again (even thoough it is a little heavier than most.)

mebekili

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mebekili
tlazarus wrote:Maybe I am missing something, but can't I buy a new ViewPad 10s directly from Viewsonic for less?

http://www.viewsonic.com/us/viewpad-10s.html

After the G-Tablet debacle, you couldn't PAY me to take another Viewsonic product.

I have an ASUS TF300T (blue) and I love it. And ASUS has been amazing with keeping it updated. I've had it a few months and have had at least 3 OTA updates so far, with new features being added each time. Got an update this week and it's up to 4.2.1. I'm a pain in the neck and I haven't found a single thing to complain about with this tablet.... and I paid far more for it from Best Buy right before woot started offering it... and it's okay, it's well-worth what I paid.

I have even taken it into a client site and done my work on their system using VMWare client for android on my tablet.

mebekili

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mebekili
pakmoom wrote:The latest Asus update turned my husband's tablet into a brick, completely dead. Avoid Asus at all costs.

I'm sorry to read this -- I got the latest update this week and it went through smooth as silk. Any chance his battery was low and it shut-down mid-update?

steveford

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steveford

Bought the Vizio table over a year ago at $159 and was happy with it until the OS was upgraded and you could no longer surf the web for more than five minutes without it shutting down. Contacted Vizio who tried everything to fix it and finally decided to replace it. However, when they found out it was refurbished and beyond 90 days, they quickly lost interest in trying to help me. Still works and I sometimes use it to stream Pandora but it's useless for browsing the Net.

SurplusGadgets2003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SurplusGadgets2003

For all those mentioning other tablets (than the Asus TF300 on sale now). It is all about performance. Bought the TF300 and keyboard 6mths ago (for almost double the price). Is for my daughter in college while in class, library, etc. It is all she uses now. Replaced an Archos 10" we had that never had enough horsepower to even web browse let alone game or anything else. This TF300 is the big sibling of the Google Nexus 7 (made by Asus). I find this TF300 as fast and nice to use as my Samsung Galaxy SIII phone -- super responsive and just always works. Beware of under powered Android tablets -- there are lots of them out there. And the battery in the keyboard to double the life makes this unit wonderful for long plane trips to watch movies, etc. With office app and phone that provides WiFi, one does not need a laptop.

pete3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pete3000

The Motorola Xoom non-3g version is upgradable to jelly bean now. the Verizon 3g/4g is upgradable to ICS for the time being with JB coming soon. See the Motorola site.

robspan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages robspan

I also have a Thrive and love it. Full size hdmi out. Fully functional usb 2.0 port - you can attach a usb hub and use wired mouse and keyboard, or Bluetooth. It's hefty, but that's because of all the features. It uses a 19v charger but charges quickly.

Bluesultan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bluesultan

Got the Asus TF300 for my wife and she loves it but can anyone recommend a good case?

zappacat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zappacat

Got mine today. Condition looks like new with the exception of some VERY small scratches on the bottom of the keyboad dock. Been reading all the complaints about screen quality and sensitivity. Is it really that bad? Mine came with dead batteries on both units so I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Anyone else get theirs yet?

zappacat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zappacat
Bluesultan wrote:Got the Asus TF300 for my wife and she loves it but can anyone recommend a good case?

I bought one of these off ebay :
caseen DESIGNO PERFECTO

It fits great and got here before the tablet did. I paid $27.49 for it including shipping via winning an auction. Build quality is better than expected but I've only had it 30 minutes. Good luck.

cdubary

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdubary

My Vizio tablet came with a dead or "bright" pixel. meaning a pixel suck bright green. This is really annoying and consistently interrupts my viewing experience but it is no covered under Vizios warranty. Just a note that the warranty wont cover anything besides manufacturer defects meaning ports or buttons not working. so the warranty sucks. a lot.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

cdubary wrote:My Vizio tablet came with a dead or "bright" pixel. meaning a pixel suck bright green. This is really annoying and consistently interrupts my viewing experience but it is no covered under Vizios warranty. Just a note that the warranty wont cover anything besides manufacturer defects meaning ports or buttons not working. so the warranty sucks. a lot.

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your purchase and with Vizio.

Please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to answer any questions or concerns you may have.