WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Timex Classic Watches

We've all been there: walking down the street, not knowing the time, cellphone's dead, no banks with clock-thermometer signs in sight, thinking to ourselves, "If only I had some sort of device attached to me that would tell me the time at quick glance." Well, that device is here, and we call it TIMEX.
Timex official site

Quality Posts

asica

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asica

Just a heads up.
I bought one of these as a cheap watch to wear. The quality is fine, especially for the price.

The one thing about them that is hard to get past is that the ticking sound is very, very loud. To the point of being distracting if you are trying to concentrate. I have other watches, and never had this issue before.

I can't even keep this on my nightstand when I'm trying to go to sleep. It's that loud.

-Andrew
------------------------------------------
Woots:
1/15/2007 Logitech Wireless USB Music System for PC
2/1/2007 Kensington Optical Wireless USB Mouse
2/1/2007 Random Crap

dolphinkist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolphinkist

I have the 3rd one (the Weekender) and I love it (had it for 4 months). I'm female, but I was having a hard time finding a women's watch that didn't look over the top, was too small to read, or wasn't water resistent (at least, not for a price I was willing to pay!). Loved the clean look of this watch and have been happy with it. It's very easy to read, even at night with the backlight. Yes, it is a loud ticker, but that's what I remember about the Timex watches I had when I was younger...isn't that just Timex? At any rate, I got used to it quickly. The only "complaint" that I would have is the band: the loops will slide so I can't keep the band in them...but I think it's because I'm a woman and it wasn't made for my wrist. Other than that, it's a nice leather band (so I do take it off to swim or shower...I can't afford to stretch it out).

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

Are these watches able to keep on ticking after taking a licking?

adamant628

quality posts: 8 Private Messages adamant628
mdnorman wrote:Are these watches able to keep on ticking after taking a licking?

I had a weekender that I dropped once, the minute hand became free floating, hour hand and second hand still work just fine.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU
mdnorman wrote:Are these watches able to keep on ticking after taking a licking?

kren2000

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kren2000

What, no love for women and our dainty wrists? Some women's watches soon?

mustbechris

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mustbechris

These are awesome deals. Unfortunately they're too small for my wrists.

clarkd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clarkd

I like how the main photo showcases 2 watches set to slightly different times!

hudsm9589

quality posts: 8 Private Messages hudsm9589

What IS that mysterious ticking sound!?

asica wrote:Just a heads up.
I bought one of these as a cheap watch to wear. The quality is fine, especially for the price.

The one thing about them that is hard to get past is that the ticking sound is very, very loud. To the point of being distracting if you are trying to concentrate. I have other watches, and never had this issue before.

I can't even keep this on my nightstand when I'm trying to go to sleep. It's that loud.

need4mospd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages need4mospd

I make sure to lick all of my watches when I get them, just to make sure they keep on ticking.

DennisG2010

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DennisG2010

Too cheap for me.
If only these cost about $6000 more and had a fancier sounding name.

Groovymarlin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Groovymarlin

Does anyone know if these have the Indiglo feature? It's not mentioned but thought I'd ask; maybe that's standard on Timex watches now.

*Derp.* Just noticed that the Weekender has both luminous hands AND the Indiglo feature. The Classic mentions neither. So, safe to assume the Classic doesn't have either of these features?

clohinne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clohinne

In the provided images of these TIMEX watches, the view of the Battery cover is obscured (Photoshoped perhaps?..tho' the buckle with Timex logo is readily legible) making it impossible to read country of Manufacture or other pertinent details.
Anyone know where these are manufactured?

newfiepage

quality posts: 43 Private Messages newfiepage

Staff

Groovymarlin wrote:Does anyone know if these have the Indiglo feature? It's not mentioned but thought I'd ask; maybe that's standard on Timex watches now.

*Derp.* Just noticed that the Weekender has both luminous hands AND the Indiglo feature. The Classic mentions neither. So, safe to assume the Classic doesn't have either of these features?

Correct! The black leather Classic has neither the indiglo or luminous hands. It is truly classic!

The other two have both the luminous hands and indiglo features.

newfiepage

Staff

clohinne wrote:In the provided images of these TIMEX watches, the view of the Battery cover is obscured (Photoshoped perhaps?..tho' the buckle with Timex logo is readily legible) making it impossible to read country of Manufacture or other pertinent details.

The movement is from the Philippines. The leather strap is from China. Assembly typically would take place where the movement comes from.

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve
hudsm9589 wrote:What IS that mysterious ticking sound!?

That's the confirmation sound it plays after syncing up with the wireless atomic time server. It does so once per second.

mad2386

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mad2386
SESteve wrote:That's the confirmation sound it plays after syncing up with the wireless atomic time server. It does so once per second.

I think it's a pipe bomb.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
clohinne wrote:In the provided images of these TIMEX watches, the view of the Battery cover is obscured (Photoshoped perhaps?..tho' the buckle with Timex logo is readily legible) making it impossible to read country of Manufacture or other pertinent details.

These are all 100% made in USA by workers getting a living wage and full medical benefits. Ooops, April 1 is already passed.

The one I own is made in China by workers not getting a living wage and full medical benefits. It has worked well for three+ years, but the strap is getting worn out.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

EricPost

quality posts: 3 Private Messages EricPost

You should be able to by a twist o'flex band for these right?

mantorp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mantorp
hudsm9589 wrote:What IS that mysterious ticking sound!?

I think it's coming from under the floorboards.

mtcanty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtcanty
kren2000 wrote:What, no love for women and our dainty wrists? Some women's watches soon?

These might as well be called unisex, for what it's worth.

I've always kind of wanted a Weekender, but the feedback I've heard about the ticking has me weary.

newfiepage

Staff

mtcanty wrote:These might as well be called unisex, for what it's worth.

I've always kind of wanted a Weekender, but the feedback I've heard about the ticking has me weary.

Come on by the home office in Dallas and I'll let you listen to it and you can judge for yourself!

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

I spent 32 years with the old Bell System. Starting out on the line crew there were just so many ways to ruin a watch, any watch, you did not wear on that you would miss if broken or lost. Enter the Timex.

Over the years I became somewhat a watch collector owning around 30 going from midrange Citizen up to a Rolex. Not one of these watches ever went to work with me. Timex was always there and working. If something happened to it or if it simply failed (mostly after years of working) it was off to Wally World and for a few bucks I had another working and for work watch I could count on. And again, not cry if and when something happened to it. The last one I purchased I had worn for about 4 years and then retired. Through it in the drawer and had not looked at it since. That was over 2 years ago. Just went and took a look at it. The battery was still good and it was still running! It was off several minutes but what do you expect in around 6 years. With that said. For what they are, these things are very hard to beat. And if you do beat it to death, you pick up a new one for next to nothing.

greezyg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greezyg

I just received this watch and wanted to warn people that it is a bit small. My wrists aren't very large and had to have the band out to the 2nd to last hole. Just an FYI.

zaffer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zaffer

Well, the one I received isn't ticking at all! Cripes.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

zaffer wrote:Well, the one I received isn't ticking at all! Cripes.

Sorry to hear that.

Please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to help you with your purchase.

Please also remember to include your Order Number and Username so they can assist you in a timely manner.