editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid
ThunderThighs wrote:Mod does dramatic eye roll followed by face palm.

At least you aren't an editor. It sucks that much more when all these amateurs try to act like they know what they're talking about!

jodamn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jodamn
werekong wrote:Can anyone explain the reasoning why flash is lost in updates? Thanks

Adobe has stopped supporting the Flash Player implementation on Android, and they've apparently decided that it's better to pull it entirely. They've said they "...are focusing our work with Flash on PC browsing and mobile apps packaged with Adobe AIR, and will be discontinuing our development of the Flash Player for mobile browsers."

Here's an article with more details from adobe's blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/06/flash-player-and-android-update.html

editorkid

edmcguirk wrote:I am shopping for a 7 inch tablet right now. CNET has reviews that place the Nexus 7 in the current number one spot.
The review for the Samsung with 4G LTE has some direct comparisons to the Nexus 7:
http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/samsung-galaxy-tab-2/4505-3126_7-35426707.html

The review for the Nexus 7 is also informative:
http://reviews.cnet.com/google-nexus-7/

As far as I can tell the Samsung has an SD slot, an adaptor port, and an IR Blaster that the Nexus does not have. The Nexus has better resolution and a faster processor.

For me the SD slot is nice but since I don't intend to stack up on movies, I think I can live without it. The other Samsung options are not as important to me as the higher resolution and faster processor. So, I think I will be choosing a Nexus 7 instead of this sale.

The Nook and Kindle reviews over at CNET are also slightly better than the Samsung. The prices are not very far apart,certain options could let the Samsung, Nook, Kindle, or Nexus be best for you.

For what it's worth, while the Nexus screen has higher resolution, that doesn't make it a better screen. The Samsung's screen has much better color and contrast. (Not surprising considering Samsung makes screens.)

editorkid

jodamn wrote:Adobe has stopped supporting the Flash Player implementation on Android, and they've apparently decided that it's better to pull it entirely. They've said they "...are focusing our work with Flash on PC browsing and mobile apps packaged with Adobe AIR, and will be discontinuing our development of the Flash Player for mobile browsers."

Here's an article with more details from adobe's blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/06/flash-player-and-android-update.html

True, but, as many others have pointed out, you can still use Flash as long as you get the APK file from another source (it isn't hard to find). However, you do also need to use a browser that supports it. The default Android browsers -- the original that's just called Browser and Chrome -- don't. Many others, including Firefox, do. Just sideloading Flash by itself doesn't solve the problem.

Bailies

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bailies
mcgours wrote:Does the 10.1" have wifi?

Yes, As far as I know all the Galaxy line has wi-fi.

Bailies

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bailies
cage017 wrote:A few [newbie] questions:

1. Is the IR Blaster worth getting? The idea of controlling my TV,cable box,etc. is a big drawing point for me getting the Samsung Galaxy.

2. How much install space does an app usually take? Are you allowed to delete programs on the tablet if you don't want them anymore?

3. What's the purpose of the splitter found in the accessory pack?

The IR Blaster should be on it when it comes out of the box. It's easy to use and worth it if you want you use it with an Samsung TV especially.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8
morriea wrote:If this is NEW in Retail Box, it has an AC adapter and Sync Cable. Together these are an AC charger.

Like Voltron!!

crashsite68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crashsite68

I bought the 7" last summer and I love it. Price wise, this isn't the best deal. I realize these are new, but you can get a refurbed one from Walmart for $20 less. The "accessory kit" included in this deal is pure crap. You can buy a better and far more useful accessory kit on Ebay for $10. The 8Gb SD card is an insult. 32Gb is a must, especially with the 7". Neither tablet will let you put apps on the SD card as far as I know, but for media (movies, music, etc.), you'll need it.

I should also mention that I own an iPad2, 2 iPod touch(es) and a galaxy S2 phone. Besides my phone, the Tab 2 7" is the best of the bunch. The ease of sharing files between devices and computers is far superior to Apples bubble.

Tab 2 7"
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Refurbished-GT-P3113-TS8A-Galaxy-Tab-2-with-WiFi-7.0-Touchscreen-Featuring-Android-4.0-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-Operating-System-Titanium-Silver/21142087

Tab 2 10"
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-2-10.1-16GB-Titanium-Silver-Wi-Fi-Refurbished/22098060

knightdlk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knightdlk

Is this new or refurbished?

jandllaw03

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jandllaw03

They are made of plastic but they are pretty durable. My 3 young daughters each have one and my 2 year old son often steals and uses as well. They have beat them up and we haven't had any problems. We did put an inexpensive leather case from Amazon on them just in case but they aren't bad.
Similar to many of Samsung smart phones in materials used.

robio wrote:Can any owners comment on how tough these are? Are the backs metal or plastic? Autistic nephew needs a Tablet for some of the apps designed for such kids, and I'd like to point his folks toward something with a little more wherewithal than my Acer A100.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
knightdlk wrote:Is this new or refurbished?

If your objective was to irritate - mission accomplished. If you can type, you can read. The answer is far from hidden.

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

$279 seems really rich for a dual-core 10" with "basic" screen resolution, when I got my Acer A500 for $199 quite a while ago.
I'd expect 1.2 quad-core for that price.

The whole "IR Blaster" issue is frustrating! I have a Vizio and the IR app is junk, and an iPod with "i-Got-it" -- same thing! I also own a Marantz/Pronto dedicated touchscreen remote and that software uses universal libraries, you can upload your own buttons, put them where you want, program macros...
But with larger color touchscreen tablets here, no one has the app we HAD TEN YEARS AGO! GAAAHHHH!!!!
I'd pay $80 just for a decent app! Ideally, someone should make a Bluetooth/IR dongle or nice looking kiosk or table sculpture so that any tablet or phone could be a remote, you wouldn't need line-of-sight, and you don't need the IR feature away from your media center anyway.

The pathetic IR application makes the IR feature more frustrating than useful, so this is just a totally over-priced tablet!

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington
Bailies wrote:The IR Blaster should be on it when it comes out of the box. It's easy to use and worth it if you want you use it with an Samsung TV especially.

Has anyone used this IR Blaster app? Can you choose/move buttons? Or does it have a handful of assigned layouts? I haven't found a tablet app that even comes close to what we were used to on any of the dedicated high-end programmable remotes.

knightdlk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knightdlk
bluemaple wrote:If your objective was to irritate - mission accomplished. If you can type, you can read. The answer is far from hidden.

Life if so easy for people like me when there are people like you. I can be irratating with minimal effort.

bluemaple

HughHemington wrote:Has anyone used this IR Blaster app? Can you choose/move buttons? Or does it have a handful of assigned layouts? I haven't found a tablet app that even comes close to what we were used to on any of the dedicated high-end programmable remotes.

The included app works great as long as you don't have really unusual home theater equipment.

But based upon your experience with dedicated and customizable controls, you might find happiness with something from iRule. Powerful stuff but far from free.

redstang

quality posts: 3 Private Messages redstang
crashsite68 wrote:I bought the 7" last summer and I love it. Price wise, this isn't the best deal. I realize these are new, but you can get a refurbed one from Walmart for $20 less. The "accessory kit" included in this deal is pure crap. You can buy a better and far more useful accessory kit on Ebay for $10. The 8Gb SD card is an insult. 32Gb is a must, especially with the 7". Neither tablet will let you put apps on the SD card as far as I know, but for media (movies, music, etc.), you'll need it.

I should also mention that I own an iPad2, 2 iPod touch(es) and a galaxy S2 phone. Besides my phone, the Tab 2 7" is the best of the bunch. The ease of sharing files between devices and computers is far superior to Apples bubble.

Tab 2 7"
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Refurbished-GT-P3113-TS8A-Galaxy-Tab-2-with-WiFi-7.0-Touchscreen-Featuring-Android-4.0-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-Operating-System-Titanium-Silver/21142087

Tab 2 10"
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-2-10.1-16GB-Titanium-Silver-Wi-Fi-Refurbished/22098060

There are several apps that allow you to move apps to the SD card. Are you saying none of those work? They do on Samsung phones, why wouldn't they work on their tablets?

Timing is everything - especially when wOOting!

ychia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ychia
robio wrote:Can any owners comment on how tough these are? Are the backs metal or plastic? Autistic nephew needs a Tablet for some of the apps designed for such kids, and I'd like to point his folks toward something with a little more wherewithal than my Acer A100.

If you're going to put a tablet in the hands of an autistic kid (poor tablet!) I recommend Kindle Fire 1st gen. Not only is it ridiculously tough, but you can snag one for really cheap now and it can probably do anything a kid would care about.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
prttymf8 wrote:Logic and facts? What are you doing on the internet?

Democrat, what else ;)

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

thisisjoelrobinson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thisisjoelrobinson

I have the 10.1" and I love it.

Denimbear

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear
prttymf8 wrote:

I like that gif there lol

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone

cage017

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cage017

Thanks for answering my questions, everyone.

I think it would be best for me to pass on this tablet and wait for a better accessory bundle at this price that has a case, screen protector, and/or car charger (if they exist for tablets).

ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming
sssprinkle wrote:Well, if you're going to play grammar police then let's play!

Based on your punctuation, your second sentence claims that the word "which" is not a word. I mean, you specifically wrote "Which is not a word". I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that. If the point you were trying to make is that "Que" is not a word then I believe that the ~400 million Spanish speakers on Earth might disagree with you. "Que" might not be an English word, but it is certainly a word.

See, isn't it fun to be corrected by the grammar police? By the way, you really should read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss.

Hmm see we're speaking/writing English here. To argue a point based on what may or may not be true in a different language is some slippery dealing.

I'm not going to get into the "which" fragment. You're just reaching.
=====
And of course I have the book about homicidal pandas. Your sentence might have been better written if you'd omitted "you" and used "anyone who isn't dead from boredom by now"...

edit: TT said it better:

ThunderThighs wrote:Mod does dramatic eye roll followed by face palm.

menaparker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages menaparker
robio wrote:Can any owners comment on how tough these are?

Bought this from costco (the 7") for my autistic son. It took almost a year before he cracked the screen I would love to buy a good case for it, but they are hard to find! Next purchase will be an iPad simply bc of the case selection. Let me know if you have any more questions. Overall, its ok. I've had issues with it recognizing my SD card, but other than that, no problems.

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo

I didn't know that Samsung made a 27" tablet.

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

outer78

quality posts: 13 Private Messages outer78
redstang wrote:There are several apps that allow you to move apps to the SD card. Are you saying none of those work? They do on Samsung phones, why wouldn't they work on their tablets?

I don't think the newer versions of android are supporting those programs at all.

Android 4.0 and beyond no longer give the option to put apps on SD card. If a company that makes the device wishes to allow this then they can but they have to figure out how.

I believe Google thinks the cloud is the better place to go for now...

Something to do with the format things are stored along with security and so on...

RocRizzo wrote:I didn't know that Samsung made a 27" tablet.

WOOOOOOOOAAAAHHHH buddy!!!!

Little late to the game here ;)

sssprinkle

quality posts: 17 Private Messages sssprinkle

Somebody hammers the Woot! Copywriter for misspelling cue and I get hammered for skewering him?

bluemaple

For those folks wondering about (edit) 7 inch vs 10.1 inch screens...

If you have a smart phone, the 10 inch screen might make more sense because it is more different.

If you do not have a smartphone (still 50% of cell phone users) then the (edit) 7 inch might make sense due to its portability and your lack of an easily portable Internet device.

But for aging eyes, the (edit) 7 inch might not be a good match. 7 inch is less than ideal as a reader but works fine for email.

A 10 inch screen makes a really good laptop alternative. Everyone we know who has one has reduced their laptop use by 80%.

We have tablets in both sizes and they both have their ideal uses.

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
bluemaple wrote:For those folks wondering about 2.7 inch vs 10.1 inch screens...

If you have a smart phone, the 10 inch screen might make more sense because it is more different.

If you do not have a smartphone (still 50% of cell phone users) then the 2.7 inch might make sense due to its portability and your lack of an easily portable Internet device.

But for aging eyes, the 2.7 inch might not be a good match. 2.7 inch is less than ideal as a reader but works fine for email.

A 10 inch screen makes a really good laptop alternative. Everyone we know who has one has reduced their laptop use by 80%.

The screen is 7", not 2.7" (It is A Galaxy Tab2 7")

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
andyskitty wrote:Do you know how to remove things like that horrid polaris office? I can't figure out how to get it off!

I think you have to root it to get rid of such things. We haven't bothered, simply taking them off the home screens has been enough for my son. That is one feature of recent Android OSes I like vs our Apple products, easy removal from sight, even if it is not actual deletion from storage.

Sardinicus

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Sardinicus
ScottFromWyoming wrote:Cue, not que. Which is not a word. Queue is a word but not the word you want. Cue is that word.

/grammarcopguysorry

Read the fine print:

Product narratives are for entertainment purposes and frequently employ an illiterate point of view

Or something like that.

mebekili

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mebekili
ScottFromWyoming wrote:Cue, not que. Which is not a word. Queue is a word but not the word you want. Cue is that word.

/grammarcopguysorry

Actually, in that context I would think they want neither "cue", nor "queue", but "clue".

mebekili

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mebekili

Ummmm -- the MODEL is Tab 2 -- the screen size is 7"

bluemaple wrote:For those folks wondering about 2.7 inch vs 10.1 inch screens...

If you do not have a smartphone (still 50% of cell phone users) then the 2.7 inch might make sense due to its portability and your lack of an easily portable Internet device.

But for aging eyes, the 2.7 inch might not be a good match. 2.7 inch is less than ideal as a reader but works fine for email.

andyskitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andyskitty

Just an FYI I just discovered (face palm) When I first got the 7 inch in febuary the OS it was running did not allow for it to be recognized by my computer running XP (none of the newer Windows interest me) for some reason it took 3-4 tried to update to jelly bean but I never tried to connect to the computer after the update. I just did (need to charge it but needed some info off it) and it looks like it is being recognized as a drive!!!! very happy now

ScottFromWyoming

mebekili wrote:Actually, in that context I would think they want neither "cue", nor "queue", but "clue".

I pondered that possibility and no. Unless you were making a joke, in which case lol.

ScottFromWyoming

sssprinkle wrote:Somebody hammers the Woot! Copywriter for misspelling cue and I get hammered for skewering him?

Grammarcopland: Love it or leave it!

I tried very hard to not "hammer" anyone but I can see now that what I wrote wasn't as downy-soft as I thought at the time. Oh, well. Hope they haven't beheaded the copywriter already.

jafi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jafi
outer78 wrote:Bought this tablet 2 weeks ago new for $155. Great little thing(7").

One thing to watch out for is if you want to us the IR blaster though as this is the p3113 model. They don't seem to have a way to keep that working in after rooting it yet but I have never looked at what it could do so I don't know what I'm missing :/

If you've updated to Jelly Bean - turn off the power save option. That restored the IR blaster and Peel works fine. Got my 7" tab 2 from the last Woot sale for $139 - 8gb version. Rooted it as soon as it arrived.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1068 Private Messages whatsamattaU
ScottFromWyoming wrote:Grammarcopland: Love it or leave it!

I tried very hard to not "hammer" anyone but I can see now that what I wrote wasn't as downy-soft as I thought at the time. Oh, well. Hope they haven't beheaded the copywriter already.

Intent doesn't always justify actions, but I think it applies here. If the goal is sincere concern (e.g., woot looks less "professional"--of course, woot and "looking professional" is a different debate of if/what level), then one could correct (you're not the first). It's not like others aren't correcting woot on other things.

If the intent is one-upmanship, then think twice. Also, as you noted, anytime anyone is corrected, that "spoonful of sugar" does help the medicine goes down. If the person/organization isn't likely going to take it well, don't bother. I've been a grammar cop before myself.

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/correcting-other-peoples-grammar.aspx

http://www.writingforward.com/grammar/good-grammar/good-grammar-and-bad-manners

Besides, I heard Mortimer pardoned the writer anyway.

bluemidget

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bluemidget
andyskitty wrote:WHERE HOW!!!! LOL Upgraded and didn't realize till your post that that was why things i though I had play fine weren't playing!!

I was given the refurb that was on the woot off a month or so ago and I LOVE it. I have no problem with App space (well not once I made my self be aware or space consideration Just delete anything your some with or not going to use anymore. Don't bother with the Polaris Office that's on there all document formatting will be REALLY messed up. I got a 32gb SD card for 20 buck, it was a class 4 but have had no problems with playing videos straight off the card.

andyskitty...check out the link below... class 10 rating SD card for just $6.97 more then your ''20 buck'' class 4...or really I should be pointing this out to someone that doesn't have a 32Gb card :-)

CAisBurning

quality posts: 2 Private Messages CAisBurning

Troll level: expert

andyskitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andyskitty
bluemidget wrote:andyskitty...check out the link below... class 10 rating SD card for just $6.97 more then your ''20 buck'' class 4...or really I should be pointing this out to someone that doesn't have a 32Gb card :-)

Day After I bought it Deals.woot had the class 10 for about $2 more, but no problems. I'll probably eventually get a second one (think about it, for the cost of a single full price DVD you can have hours and hours of viewing and books, and music, have extra cards more you can have and easy at your finger tips) I'll wait till I find the class 10 in the $20 range.

I just wish they made them in bright color since the port can shoot the things across the room!